COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 08:27:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 109 110 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 267338 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2600 on: May 23, 2020, 03:43:26 PM »

Can one of the conspiracy theorists here explain why they think the CDC is lying to us?

The CDC is in a tough position right now.  On one hand, progressives may be hesitant to believe everything coming from an organization that is often censored by the current administration.  On the other hand, conservatives don’t believe anything coming from a gang of Deep State (((global elites))), Satanists and child rapists, such as the CDC.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2601 on: May 23, 2020, 03:59:42 PM »

Yikes, 60% of Americans disapprove of Trump's response to COVID-19.

Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #2602 on: May 23, 2020, 04:54:41 PM »

The fault here is with Congress. But people will blame the president. I also disapprove of his handling throughout. The media continues to hurt the country even more, and they continue to refuse to do any self reflection themselves so you reap what you sow.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2603 on: May 23, 2020, 04:57:54 PM »

Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #2604 on: May 23, 2020, 05:03:43 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2020, 05:08:29 PM by Donald Trump’s Toupée »

Run the front page about the 40 million displaced American workers, and the extra hundreds of thousands who will die from deaths of despair, while at the same time casting a successive lost generation to dumbass economic policies. Yeah, I’ll continue to wait.

Anyone who is affluent and/or under the age of 20 cannot possibly understand the severe economic ramifications we now face. The irony is, those under 20 will be the most negatively affected by this in the decade to come.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2605 on: May 23, 2020, 05:06:49 PM »

Sad
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2606 on: May 23, 2020, 05:08:49 PM »

The fault here is with Congress. But people will blame the president. I also disapprove of his handling throughout. The media continues to hurt the country even more, and they continue to refuse to do any self reflection themselves so you reap what you sow.

Congressional Approval is the highest its been since 2009
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2607 on: May 23, 2020, 05:10:37 PM »

Because congress told the people to drink bleach?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2608 on: May 23, 2020, 05:11:03 PM »

Run the front page about the 40 million displaced American workers, and the extra hundreds of thousands who will die from deaths of despair, while at the same time casting a successive lost generation to dumbass economic policies. Yeah, I’ll continue to wait.

Anyone who is affluent and/or under the age of 20 cannot possibly understand the severe economic ramifications we now face. The irony is, those under 20 will be the most negatively affected by this in the decade to come.

Lol, what? Lockdown measures are still supported by over 60% of Americans and more people are worried about opening up too fast than opening up too late.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2609 on: May 23, 2020, 05:11:23 PM »

Dawg I posted an article suggesting this is not happening (at least in CO) literally at the top of this page.

Man you are really grasping at straws here if not flat out lying.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2610 on: May 23, 2020, 05:45:13 PM »

The Least-Surprising-News-Ever Award goes to this!
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #2611 on: May 23, 2020, 05:50:14 PM »

Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear writes positive, reassuring article on the pandemic (in contrast to the media's constant doompanic)...

https://www.rcnky.com/articles/2020/05/22/op-ed-kentuckians-proving-we-are-great-people
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2612 on: May 23, 2020, 05:57:28 PM »

This is probably one of the most tone deaf posts I've seen in a while.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #2613 on: May 23, 2020, 05:59:28 PM »

Pot kettle black
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2614 on: May 23, 2020, 06:02:01 PM »

Glad the virus-truthers want to listen to the CDC without question now!
Since we are doing that, how about we have everyone wear a mask, slowly reopen (and revert back to shutdowns if cases spike), and social distance, like the CDC recommends?

You know, I don't really have a huge problem with masks.  I'm happy to wear one if I'm going to be in a place like a supermarket (I actually remember kind of regretting not wearing one the last time I went in one).  I just think that most businesses should be open, even those not conducive to masks or social distancing (like restaurants).  As I live alone, I am also going to see friends when I can, as I would go crazy otherwise.

If masks in certain circumstances (like a crowded store) are what it takes to otherwise get back to normal, I'm fine with that.  It kind of feels dystopian when restaurant servers have masks on, but I don't mind that either at the end of the day.

What I do think we need (and even once this is over) is hand sanitizer everywhere.  You should never have a hard time finding it when you enter a store, workplace, church, stadium, or restaurant.

No.  In March, governors and state health officials closed our businesses, suspended our kids' educations, and took our freedoms by exaggerating the risks of COVID-19.

Now they want to trade it back to us for mask mandates, contact tracing and made-up rules?

I don't think so.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2615 on: May 23, 2020, 06:10:14 PM »

Since we are doing that, how about we have everyone wear a mask, slowly reopen (and revert back to shutdowns if cases spike), and social distance, like the CDC recommends?

You know, I don't really have a huge problem with masks.  I'm happy to wear one if I'm going to be in a place like a supermarket (I actually remember kind of regretting not wearing one the last time I went in one).  I just think that most businesses should be open, even those not conducive to masks or social distancing (like restaurants).  As I live alone, I am also going to see friends when I can, as I would go crazy otherwise.

If masks in certain circumstances (like a crowded store) are what it takes to otherwise get back to normal, I'm fine with that.  It kind of feels dystopian when restaurant servers have masks on, but I don't mind that either at the end of the day.

What I do think we need (and even once this is over) is hand sanitizer everywhere.  You should never have a hard time finding it when you enter a store, workplace, church, stadium, or restaurant.

No.  In March, governors and state health officials closed our businesses, suspended our kids' educations, and took our freedoms by exaggerating the risks of COVID-19.

Now they want to trade it back to us for mask mandates, contact tracing and made-up rules?

I don't think so.

Do you think we should throw open the economy and allow for everything to go back to normal? I don't think that's a realistic course of action at this juncture. As I've made clear before, I certainly don't think that the current lockdowns are sustainable, and I think that economic activity ought to be resumed as soon as possible. However, we have to take precautions in doing so, and we have to make sure that our healthcare system isn't overwhelmed by a potential future wave. Moreover, though I've expressed my aversion to mask mandates from government, I think it's within the right of businesses to require them, and if masks help to smooth the transition towards normalcy, then I'll support them. And we certainly need to continue expanding our testing apparatus, so that we can keep better track of cases as they develop.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2616 on: May 23, 2020, 06:13:20 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2020, 06:22:51 PM by Joe Republic »

Trump is marking the grim upcoming milestone of 100k deaths in his own inimitable way.

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2617 on: May 23, 2020, 06:20:57 PM »

I don't think so.

Do you think we should throw open the economy and allow for everything to go back to normal? I don't think that's a realistic course of action at this juncture. As I've made clear before, I certainly don't think that the current lockdowns are sustainable, and I think that economic activity ought to be resumed as soon as possible. However, we have to take precautions in doing so, and we have to make sure that our healthcare system isn't overwhelmed by a potential future wave. Moreover, though I've expressed my aversion to mask mandates from government, I think it's within the right of businesses to require them, and if masks help to smooth the transition towards normalcy, then I'll support them. And we certainly need to continue expanding our testing apparatus, so that we can keep better track of cases as they develop.

I generally think all businesses should be able to open with only the most basic social distancing practices enforced (six feet of separation between parties, encouraging frequent handwashing, temperature checks, etc.)  We can continue to enforce limits on visits/new admits to nursing homes and hospitals. 

As far as mass events, I'm pretty comfortable with no restrictions on open-air, outdoor events.  Indoor events like conferences should have some limit, but probably nothing more restrictive than limits on groups of +250 (cruise ships remain a no-go, under these rules).  The only place where I can see an argument for mandatory masking are airplanes (multiple hours with 100% recirculated air and close proximity). 

K-12 schools should plan on opening early later this summer (June/July) for 7-10 weeks of instruction before grade promotion in August/September.  Colleges should have in-person instruction beginning in early August, so that way the semester can finish-up by Thanksgiving and kids can be home from November - January (peak flu season).
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #2618 on: May 23, 2020, 06:55:32 PM »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-23/trump-heads-to-golf-course-for-first-time-since-virus-lockdowns

The American government have handled this so badly... painful to watch tbh.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #2619 on: May 23, 2020, 07:43:30 PM »

Latest US vs. European case and death graphs.

European numbers are looking pretty great, with deaths declining at a consistent 20-25% per week for at least the last month.
US deaths are showing slower declines at around 15% per week.

Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #2620 on: May 23, 2020, 08:01:04 PM »

Trump is marking the grim upcoming milestone of 100k deaths in his own inimitable way.

Id personally love to know why people think these milestones mean anything. The ‘milestones’ are completely arbitrary! But I guess it’s a way for the silly SJW to show that they care oh so much. 
Mr. Matt
United States

« Reply #2621 on: May 23, 2020, 08:17:57 PM »

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2622 on: May 23, 2020, 08:44:55 PM »

Id personally love to know why people think these milestones mean anything. The ‘milestones’ are completely arbitrary! But I guess it’s a way for the silly SJW to show that they care oh so much. 

(But by all means keep digging.  I have a morbid curiosity to watch conservatives habitually do so.)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2623 on: May 23, 2020, 08:47:21 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 5/23 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

Δ Change: Day-by-day Growth or Decline or COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.
  • IE: What's the overall change in the total?

<Last Numbers for 3/26-3/28 in this Post>
<Last Numbers for 3/29-4/4 in this Post>
<Last Numbers for 4/5-4/11 in this Post>
<Last Numbers for 4/12-4/18 in this Post>
<Last Numbers for 4/19-4/25 in this post>
<Last Numbers for 4/26-5/2 in this post>
<Last Numbers for 5/3-5/9 in this post>

5/10: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 1,367,638 (+20,329 | Δ Change: ↓20.35% | Σ Increase: ↑1.93%)
  • Deaths: 80,787 (+750 | Δ Change: ↓47.27% | Σ Increase: ↑0.94%)

5/11:
  • Cases: 1,385,834 (+18,196 | Δ Change: ↓10.49% | Σ Increase: ↑1.33%)
  • Deaths: 81,795 (+1,008 | Δ Change: ↑34.40% | Σ Increase: ↑1.25%)

5/12:
  • Cases: 1,408,155 (+22,321 | Δ Change: ↑22.67% | Σ Increase: ↑1.61%)
  • Deaths: 83,377 (+1,582 | Δ Change: ↑56.94% | Σ Increase: ↑1.93%)

5/13:
  • Cases: 1,430,348 (+22,193 | Δ Change: ↓0.57% | Σ Increase: ↑1.58%)
  • Deaths: 85,197 (+1,820 | Δ Change: ↑15.44% | Σ Increase: ↑2.18%)

5/14:
  • Cases: 1,456,828 (+26,480 | Δ Change: ↑19.32% | Σ Increase: ↑1.85%)
  • Deaths: 86,901 (+1,704 | Δ Change: ↓6.37% | Σ Increase: ↑2.00%)

5/15 (Yesterday):
  • Cases: 1,483,736 (+26,908 | Δ Change: ↑1.62% | Σ Increase: ↑1.85%)
  • Deaths: 88,479 (+1,578 | Δ Change: ↓7.39% | Σ Increase: ↑1.82%)

5/16:
  • Cases: 1,505,033 (+21,297 | Δ Change: ↓20.85% | Σ Increase: ↑1.44%)
  • Deaths: 89,511 (+1,032 | Δ Change: ↓34.60% | Σ Increase: ↑1.17%)

5/17: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 1,526,842 (+21,809 | Δ Change: ↑2.40% | Σ Increase: ↑1.44%)
  • Deaths: 90,973 (+1,462 | Δ Change: ↑41.67% | Σ Increase: ↑1.45%)

5/18:
  • Cases: 1,550,294 (+23,452 | Δ Change: ↑7.53% | Σ Increase: ↑1.54%)
  • Deaths: 91,981 (+1,008 | Δ Change: ↓31.05% | Σ Increase: ↑1.11%)

5/19:
  • Cases: 1,570,583 (+20,289 | Δ Change: ↓13.49% | Σ Increase: ↑1.31%)
  • Deaths: 93,533 (+1,552 | Δ Change: ↑53.97% | Σ Increase: ↑1.69%)

5/20:
  • Cases: 1,591,991 (+21,408 | Δ Change: ↑5.52% | Σ Increase: ↑1.36%)
  • Deaths: 94,994 (+1,461 | Δ Change: ↓5.86% | Σ Increase: ↑1.56%)

5/21:
  • Cases: 1,620,902 (+28,911 | Δ Change: ↑35.05% | Σ Increase: ↑1.82%)
  • Deaths: 96,354 (+1,360 | Δ Change: ↓6.91% | Σ Increase: ↑1.43%)

5/22 (Yesterday):
  • Cases: 1,645,094 (+24,192 | Δ Change: ↓16.32% | Σ Increase: ↑1.49%)
  • Deaths: 97,647 (+1,293 | Δ Change: ↓4.93% | Σ Increase: ↑1.34%)

5/23 (Today):
  • Cases: 1,666,828 (+21,734 | Δ Change: ↓10.16% | Σ Increase: ↑1.32%)
  • Deaths: 98,683 (+1,036 | Δ Change: ↓19.88% | Σ Increase: ↑1.06%)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2624 on: May 23, 2020, 09:06:55 PM »

It seems that some of the States which were relatively spared from the virus earlier are now beginning to see rises. NC, VA, and MN come to mind.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 109 110 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies