DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:57:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 271867 times)
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1350 on: January 06, 2021, 07:37:33 PM »

In the end, democracy has prevailed.  This is not a Republican vs Democrat issue.  I don't know any Republicans who are OK with what happened today.  The people who tried to overthrow the government are disgusting and should be prosecuted.  They are not a reflection on the vast, vast majority of good lawful Americans who love their country.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1351 on: January 06, 2021, 07:38:15 PM »

Republicans need to drop the clown show and sit down and shut up during the certification tonight. This isn't a game anymore and their antics caused the insurrection against the government today. If anyone pulls any crap I wouldn't mind decorum being broken and him being outright shouted down.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1352 on: January 06, 2021, 07:38:19 PM »

In the end, democracy has prevailed.  This is not a Republican vs Democrat issue.  I don't know any Republicans who are OK with what happened today.  The people who tried to overthrow the government are disgusting and should be prosecuted.  They are not a reflection on the vast, vast majority of good lawful Americans who love their country.

The Republican's name is Josh Hawley.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1353 on: January 06, 2021, 07:38:46 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2021, 07:43:23 PM by We Made PA Blue Again! »

So it turns out that Kamala was right about banning Trump's twitter account. She was mocked relentlessly for pushing for it during the primary. Either people thought it wasn't serious, or they thought it would violate his first amendment rights.

Even Manchin is now urging Twitter to keep it locked for the next two weeks.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1354 on: January 06, 2021, 07:39:15 PM »

From the NBC News liveblog:

Rand Paul: No more objections expected to Electoral College count

No more objections are expected as lawmakers expect to continue the certification process for the Electoral College votes Wednesday, Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., told reporters.

Both chambers of Congress were in the midst of debate on a GOP objection to the Arizona results when supporters of President Donald Trump stormed the Capitol, forcing members of the House and Senate to flee for safety.

Legislators will vote to close debate after they resume, but Paul said he does not anticipate anymore objections to the process. Republican Sens. Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley, along with other Republican lawmakers, previously threatened to object to election results in some states citing baseless claims of fraud.

I saw another tweet how Hawley is still planning on objecting to Pennsylvania.

I can’t believe I’m actually hoping Rand Paul is right about something.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1355 on: January 06, 2021, 07:39:31 PM »

i am so pissed off. absolutely vomitrocious. “Make America Great Again” really does = “Make China and Russia great again by making America look like a third world banana republic”

those people who did this today are insane and evil.

RED AVATAR GOOSE!!!!!

Welcome to the team, bruh.

thx man you know i just hate how a lot of the way ppl been acting lately and so been kinda goin left just bcuz a lot of the right has really really lost it. today was a whole new level
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #1356 on: January 06, 2021, 07:39:37 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2021, 08:35:20 PM by Gary Peters in Retirement »

These last 24 hours have truly and unironically been great for America. First Ossoff and Warnock win, ensuring a Dem trifecta and no roadblocking by Mitch.

Then this, which shouldn't be too upsetting because we already knew that Trump and his supporters were capable of doing something like this. They are only hurting themselves anyway; I cannot envision a scenario where this helps Trump or the GOP's future, in fact I'm sure it will hurt it. Plus, there is no way in hell Manchin votes with Republicans after this charade. Let's go
Joe Haydn
HenryWallaceVP

« Reply #1357 on: January 06, 2021, 07:40:20 PM »

I bet ShadowOfTheWave is feeling real proud of his Trump vote right about now. All of his fearmongering about rioters came true today, though maybe not in the way he expected.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1358 on: January 06, 2021, 07:40:46 PM »

If one thing is clear, despite much being opaque at this time (including who's actually running the country), the US Capitol Police were utterly and completely unprepared for what happened today.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1359 on: January 06, 2021, 07:40:53 PM »

Deval Patrick, seemingly, joins the calls for impeachment.

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1360 on: January 06, 2021, 07:41:03 PM »

Chief of Staff to the First Lady has resigned:

Is this really what it took though? 4 years of this and they actually had to violently storm the capitol for people to say “OK, I’m out?”

The paycheck is gone in a few weeks so it's easy to find "moral ground" under that circumstance.
randomusername

« Reply #1361 on: January 06, 2021, 07:41:08 PM »

No more objections are expected as lawmakers expect to continue the certification process for the Electoral College votes Wednesday, Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., told reporters.

Both chambers of Congress were in the midst of debate on a GOP objection to the Arizona results when supporters of President Donald Trump stormed the Capitol, forcing members of the House and Senate to flee for safety.

Legislators will vote to close debate after they resume, but Paul said he does not anticipate anymore objections to the process. Republican Sens. Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley, along with other Republican lawmakers, previously threatened to object to election results in some states citing baseless claims of fraud.

So they admit it was full grandstanding. If they REALLY believed in fraud they wouldn't have backed down.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #1362 on: January 06, 2021, 07:41:10 PM »

I know, well know of, one.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1363 on: January 06, 2021, 07:41:14 PM »

If one thing is clear, despite much being opaque at this time (including who's actually running the country), the US Capitol Police utterly and completely unprepared for what happened today.

But they were completely prepared for BLM Squinting
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1364 on: January 06, 2021, 07:41:19 PM »

I actually now think that Trump's Twitter account should be banned after today.

There's also the strategic element that not having the ability to Tweet will help stop Trump from hijacking the party again in 2024.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #1365 on: January 06, 2021, 07:41:24 PM »

Republicans need to drop the clown show and sit down and shut up during the certification tonight. This isn't a game anymore and their antics caused the insurrection against the government today. If anyone pulls any crap I wouldn't mind decorum being broken and him being outright shouted down.

Is there a specific Senate rule against telling a colleague to go f*** themselves? Because I feel like that's where we're headed if Hawley objects to Pennsylvania.
super6646
Canada

« Reply #1366 on: January 06, 2021, 07:41:38 PM »

Not religious but I’m praying for American democracy rn. Don’t want our southern neighbours in a state like this. Wishing you all the best these next 2 weeks before sanity can finally start to return.
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #1367 on: January 06, 2021, 07:41:51 PM »

Defund the Police.

They were outnumbered, and wanted to go home to their families. It's the same reason they had to stand by and let mobs of looters pic department stores clean rather than trying to arrest a mob that outnumbered them 10 to 1.

There's a time and a place in law enforcement for hard overwhelming force. And I genuinely hope it comes in the next hour or two

10:1 is a very good for law enforcement, you never go a protest march?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1368 on: January 06, 2021, 07:42:03 PM »

Trump should not be impeached or removed from office. That would turn him into a martyr and further radicalized his supporters.

At this point, his supporters’ needs or wishes are irrelevant.

Trump is leaving office in 2 weeks. Removing him a few days early is not worth the cost.
Worth it to ban him from running in 2024.

Sadly, a successful impeachment wouldn't bar him from running.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1369 on: January 06, 2021, 07:42:07 PM »

The international community seems far more concerned and sickened by this than the Ukraine Scandal, Mueller Report, or even Charlottesville.

As late as it is for America, there might be a real chance the 25th amendment or an impeachment occurs here.

This is objectively worse than all three of those combined.  

I agree with you here. But it's astounding to me how all of these events occurred under just this President alone, to say nothing of the pandemic. In watching the media coverage, I was still shaken by seeing the members of Congress, their staffers, journalists, and members of law enforcement wearing masks, while virtually all of the anarchists were maskless. That was a visual reminder of the ongoing crisis which helped to cost Trump reelection, and which he so badly mismanaged. I don't think it's a stretch to say that every single American has been impacted negatively by this man, and the effects of his Presidency are going to last for decades to come.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1370 on: January 06, 2021, 07:42:14 PM »

I saw another tweet how Hawley is still planning on objecting to Pennsylvania.

If the can get Mitch and enough senators on board, the Senate can (and should) expel him.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1371 on: January 06, 2021, 07:42:38 PM »

Trump should not be impeached or removed from office. That would turn him into a martyr and further radicalized his supporters.

Hell no. He already is a martyr to the liberal media, liberal Judges, mean old Democrats, etc etc etc blah blah blah. Impeaching him now and unconditionally notwithstanding his administration having barely two weeks left is the only way to establish for history that this was and forever shall be wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

If the rule of law is going to mean a damned thing after today, he needs to go without even waiting for Inauguration Day.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1372 on: January 06, 2021, 07:42:53 PM »

I know, well know of, one.

Yes.  I'm just making the point that the vast majority of people - red, blue, black white - deplore violence and are horrified by what happened today.  This needs to be a moment of coming together.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #1373 on: January 06, 2021, 07:43:04 PM »

If one thing is clear, despite much being opaque at this time (including who's actually running the country), the US Capitol Police utterly and completely unprepared for what happened today.

Yeah, summary firing with the forfeiture of their pensions sounds like the least for aiding and abetting an insurrection.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1374 on: January 06, 2021, 07:43:58 PM »

i am so pissed off. absolutely vomitrocious. “Make America Great Again” really does = “Make China and Russia great again by making America look like a third world banana republic”

those people who did this today are insane and evil.

RED AVATAR GOOSE!!!!!

Welcome to the team, bruh.

thx man you know i just hate how a lot of the way ppl been acting lately and so been kinda goin left just bcuz a lot of the right has really really lost it. today was a whole new level

Welcome aboard, comrade!
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies