🇩🇪 German elections (federal & EU level)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 03:15:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  🇩🇪 German elections (federal & EU level)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 115
Author Topic: 🇩🇪 German elections (federal & EU level)  (Read 218847 times)
Hnv1
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1800 on: September 26, 2021, 01:10:17 PM »

The stereotype of the elderly die Linke voter doesn't seem very accurate then...
Steadily dying out or leaving the party to other alternatives (pun intended)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1801 on: September 26, 2021, 01:10:50 PM »

I've already switched the TV off. Always forget how boring election night coverage actually is. Just a load of interviews with about three seconds of excitement when the polls close [/hottake]

Say what you like about FPTP it tends to lead to far more interesting election coverage than PR.

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1802 on: September 26, 2021, 01:11:19 PM »

The stereotype of the elderly die Linke voter doesn't seem very accurate then...

Oryx beat me to it, but it's more that the old people voting Linke are...ahem...aging out of the electorate, steadily.
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #1803 on: September 26, 2021, 01:11:28 PM »

Indeed:

Die Linke is the only party from which the AfD can gain voters, they supporters to every other party.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1804 on: September 26, 2021, 01:12:24 PM »

Essentially in the East they're a fairly typical postcommunist 'social democratic' party, whereas in the West they're a hard Left Red-Green affair. So very different electorates. In Berlin, of course, you see both.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #1805 on: September 26, 2021, 01:12:50 PM »

Noob question, but why does Germany have a thing against minority governments?
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1806 on: September 26, 2021, 01:13:50 PM »

Essentially in the East they're a fairly typical postcommunist 'social democratic' party, whereas in the West they're a hard Left Red-Green affair. So very different electorates. In Berlin, of course, you see both.

What does that mean?
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1807 on: September 26, 2021, 01:14:18 PM »

Aging out is a thing, but that alone doesn't explain Linke losing 2/3rds of their East Germany vote in 10 years.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1808 on: September 26, 2021, 01:15:57 PM »

I've already switched the TV off. Always forget how boring election night coverage actually is. Just a load of interviews with about three seconds of excitement when the polls close [/hottake]

Say what you like about FPTP it tends to lead to far more interesting election coverage than PR.

The fun coverage about coalition formation in the days and months that follow more than makes up for it.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #1809 on: September 26, 2021, 01:16:33 PM »

I wonder what Scholz thinks about the impossibility of an R2G coalition?

Is he relieved because he doesn't need to agonize over the initiation of exploratory talks with the Communists?
Or does he regret not explicitly having ruled out a coalition with the ex-SED?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1810 on: September 26, 2021, 01:17:42 PM »

Indeed:

Die Linke is the only party from which the AfD can gain voters, they supporters to every other party.
Who are the 120K moving from Linke to FDP? absonderlich
all I can think of are students in Konstanz and Bremen who were edgy in 2017 and dramatically moved to the center once they got a white-collar job in NRW
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1811 on: September 26, 2021, 01:18:00 PM »

What is the likelihood of  Grand Coalition 2.0 (post-Merkel and seemingly with a SPD chancellor)?

It only happens in the unlikely event that both traffic-light & Jamaica negotiations were to fail.

I'm of the opinion that another election's more likely tbh

Idk, this is Germany: stability & continuity are seemingly valued above everything else, & a 2nd election seems only like a last-resort, break-glass-in-case-of-emergency type of option for the event that GroKo negotiations were to themselves fail.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1812 on: September 26, 2021, 01:19:01 PM »

I wonder what Scholz thinks about the impossibility of an R2G coalition?

Is he relieved because he doesn't need to agonize over the initiation of exploratory talks with the Communists?
Or does he regret not explicitly having ruled out a coalition with the ex-SED?

Probably just annoyed that their under-performance is gonna cost him a lot of leverage in the traffic-light negotiations, & a Plan B in the event that said negotiations fall through.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1813 on: September 26, 2021, 01:19:57 PM »

What is the likelihood of  Grand Coalition 2.0 (post-Merkel and seemingly with a SPD chancellor)?

Slim imo

I don't think the CDU would agree to that
The CDU would probably be unwilling to join a grand coalition it does not lead.
The SPD would definitely be unwilling to join a grand coalition it does not lead.
It's one of the less likely possibilities.

Sure, hut there is a problem. While SPD and Greens would easily reach an agreement, the FDP is likely to raise high demands. The question is, in case traffic light coalition talks fail because of Lindner,  would the Union join the SPD for the sake of stability? Or rather tensions within rhe Union would make Grand Coalition impossible?
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #1814 on: September 26, 2021, 01:20:55 PM »

Aging out is a thing, but that alone doesn't explain Linke losing 2/3rds of their East Germany vote in 10 years.

The AfD has entrenched itself as the new "lobby party" for East Germans, thus depriving the Linke of a bunch of votes.
Logical

« Reply #1815 on: September 26, 2021, 01:22:19 PM »

DIE LINKE is currently ahead in Wahlkreis 84,86 and 153 (2 Berlin seats and 1 in Leipzig). Looks like they will make it even if they end up under the threshold.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #1816 on: September 26, 2021, 01:23:24 PM »

Macroeconomy is much, much better in East Germany since 2013, with unemployment levels back to around or even below 5%. People voted for them when unemployment was 10-20%, but now things are "okay", and these voters are entertaining other options as well
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1817 on: September 26, 2021, 01:24:34 PM »

What is the likelihood of  Grand Coalition 2.0 (post-Merkel and seemingly with a SPD chancellor)?

Slim imo

I don't think the CDU would agree to that
The CDU would probably be unwilling to join a grand coalition it does not lead.
The SPD would definitely be unwilling to join a grand coalition it does not lead.
It's one of the less likely possibilities.

Sure, hut there is a problem. While SPD and Greens would easily reach an agreement, the FDP is likely to raise high demands. The question is, in case traffic light coalition talks fail because of Lindner,  would the Union join the SPD for the sake of stability? Or rather tensions within rhe Union would make Grand Coalition impossible?
How things go there will be dependent on who has more seats. However, I suspect SPD would sooner go new elections than play second fiddle to the Union for a third time.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1818 on: September 26, 2021, 01:26:15 PM »

Macroeconomy is much, much better in East Germany since 2013, with unemployment levels back to around or even below 5%. People voted for them when unemployment was 10-20%, but now things are "okay", and these voters are entertaining other options as well

Tbh I suspect the main reason unemployment has dropped in the East is because of people moving West.

I have a friend at work from Sachsen-Anhalt and he told me that most of the young people in his town have left either to move to Lepizig (closest major city) or to West Germany.
urutzizu
« Reply #1819 on: September 26, 2021, 01:27:24 PM »

all I can think of are students in Konstanz and Bremen who were edgy in 2017 and dramatically moved to the center once they got a white-collar job in NRW

I mean having talked to people in my social circles about the election, I am now pretty sure about 50% of young people in Germany don't really vote on any Ideological basis at all, and even where they do (those who vote green because they care about climate change), it is mostly rather shallow. We shouldn't read to much into the decisions of people, and Lindner is just simply a quite popular and subjectively likable Individual just as Wagenknecht was in 2017.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #1820 on: September 26, 2021, 01:29:47 PM »

The fun coverage about coalition formation in the days and months that follow more than makes up for it.

Being honest, I tend to switch off from that as well. Most of the fun comes from the inevitable crushing disspointment of seeing my side always lose, followed by pouring over map and the explanations as to "why place X votes for party Y" over the following couple of weeks
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1821 on: September 26, 2021, 01:32:35 PM »

I mean having talked to people in my social circles about the election, I am now pretty sure about 50% of young people in Germany don't really vote on any Ideological basis at all, and even where they do (those who vote green because they care about climate change), it is mostly rather shallow. We shouldn't read to much into the decisions of people, and Lindner is just simply a quite popular and subjectively likable Individual just as Wagenknecht was in 2017.
I have quite a lot of friends in Germany who were radical leftists back in the days and now vote alliance or SPD as moderates (one votes Partei because he simply doesn't care and moved to Aachen). All the lawyers I know from Germany vote FDP, without an exception. But they don't mix.

Granted I don't know that many young voters, but that seems like quite a high swing between polarized parties in ideology and demographics
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1822 on: September 26, 2021, 01:38:12 PM »

I'm not surprised to hear that. Germany's a country with low political and social polarization where things are going well and where the major parties are relatively similar.

At that point it is somewhat understandable why people just vote for the party whose leader they like most.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1823 on: September 26, 2021, 01:42:45 PM »

I have quite a lot of friends in Germany who were radical leftists back in the days and now vote alliance or SPD as moderates (one votes Partei because he simply doesn't care and moved to Aachen). All the lawyers I know from Germany vote FDP, without an exception. But they don't mix.

Granted I don't know that many young voters, but that seems like quite a high swing between polarized parties in ideology and demographics

What do you mean by this?
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #1824 on: September 26, 2021, 01:43:18 PM »

Despite the exit polls being closer than we thought, make no mistake that this is an emphatic rejection of the CDU/CSU by the electorate, and a good result for the SPD.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 115  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies