COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:10:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 88
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones  (Read 116085 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: April 08, 2020, 10:39:04 PM »

Hospitals are different than nursing homes where MAGA toads are ignoring power of attorney to use the elderly as guinea pigs.

How do you know the doctor is a "MAGA toad"?
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #801 on: April 08, 2020, 10:43:24 PM »

4/8 (Today):
  • Cases: 434,698 (+34,761 | Δ Change: ↑2.77% | Σ Increase: ↑8.69%)
  • Deaths: 14,787 (+1,974 | Δ Change: ↑1.02% | Σ Increase: ↑15.41%)

Looks like new records today for both cases and deaths.

but our Resident-epideMiologSt has repeatedly assured us that the curve has been flattened Sad
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #802 on: April 08, 2020, 10:52:32 PM »

Hospitals are different than nursing homes where MAGA toads are ignoring power of attorney to use the elderly as guinea pigs.

Read the tweet again.

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #803 on: April 08, 2020, 10:57:22 PM »

Here's a map I pulled together from the IHME tracker. It shows how long each state has to go before its projected date of peak resource use (the top of the proverbial curve).

Dark red = >10 days until peak
Medium red = >5 days until peak
Pink = <5 days until peak
Yellow = Today is projected peak
Light green = <5 days since peak
medium green = >5 days since peak

It looks to me that the peak hospital resource use for Virginia is Apr 20-21, so wouldn't that be >10 days?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #804 on: April 08, 2020, 11:08:19 PM »

Read the tweet again.

So a Republican doctor can't prescribe hydroxychloroquine anymore? What about a Democratic doctor? Would it be ok for them to prescribe it? Just trying to figure out the rules here.

Maybe some of you don't know this but drugs are used for non-FDA labeled indications on a daily basis. In this case the FDA has given the green light to doctors to use this drug if they feel the benefits outweigh the risk in their patients. There are some in-vitro studies and small uncontrolled trials showing some benefit. Even though the FDA does not have enough evidence to approve the drug for covid-19, that does not mean doctors cannot try it if they feel it is appropriate for their patient.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #805 on: April 08, 2020, 11:09:01 PM »

It's really something how we've gone from a number of possible drugs being tested that have some evidence they might work to Trump seemingly picking one (that he owns a very small investment in) and declaring it the best, to it being decried as a scam, all despite still ongoing global testing that predated Trump's announcement of support.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #806 on: April 08, 2020, 11:09:29 PM »

Here's a map I pulled together from the IHME tracker. It shows how long each state has to go before its projected date of peak resource use (the top of the proverbial curve).

I sincerely doubt Colorado has seen their peak resource use. I hope I am wrong, but I think the recent lowering of case numbers are a result of less tests having been done.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #807 on: April 09, 2020, 12:35:02 AM »

I'm literally f__king CRYING of laughter. This guy is funnier than any comedian ever has been or ever could be.

Who ever said evangelical Republicans were good for nothing?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #808 on: April 09, 2020, 12:47:25 AM »

The US has roughly 8.000 to 9.000 deaths per day in a regular March or April.

So, Coronavirus now accounts for ca. 1/4 of daily deaths there (vs. 1/10th in Austria).
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #809 on: April 09, 2020, 12:48:08 AM »

I'm literally f__king CRYING of laughter. This guy is funnier than any comedian ever has been or ever could be.

https://youtu.be/zi_qX50zv7k

Looks like he can barely container his own laughter
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #810 on: April 09, 2020, 01:11:14 AM »

Tax-free, ladies & gentlemen.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #811 on: April 09, 2020, 01:25:59 AM »

Its funny until you realize he's worth $760 million.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #812 on: April 09, 2020, 01:33:15 AM »

Its funny until you realize he's worth $760 million.
He destroyed COVID-19 forever and it will never be back. Trump spend trillions to help the markets last month. He should have just offered Copeland a cool billion to blow the wind of God on coronavirus instead.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #813 on: April 09, 2020, 01:38:02 AM »

Good work, but my suspecion is that there will come a time we have to return to normalcy and open stuff up. Once that happens, the virus will likely come back and even more because there is literally no immunity in the population. Studies and experience showed that warm weather has little or no effect in contrast to the flu.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #814 on: April 09, 2020, 02:14:49 AM »

Good work, but my suspecion is that there will come a time we have to return to normalcy and open stuff up. Once that happens, the virus will likely come back and even more because there is literally no immunity in the population. Studies and experience showed that warm weather has little or no effect in contrast to the flu.

What studies? The reason why this thing isn't exploding in FL, TX, and other southern states is primarily because it does worse in warmer temperatures.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #815 on: April 09, 2020, 03:03:47 AM »

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #816 on: April 09, 2020, 04:46:34 AM »

The debate between the health crisis vs the economic crisis is starting to heat up:

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-09/coronavirus-poverty-study-research-oxfam-anu/12136222

"Even under our most conservative scenario, too conservative to be realistic … we're still talking about 100 million extra people [falling] into extreme poverty," said ANU's Christopher Hoy, another of the authors.

My individual feeling is that some countries will let it run, if they haven't inadvertently done so already.

Under those circumstances, it would be better to have had the virus and developed antibodies. Those people with immunity will be more employable and more functional in the 'next' economy.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #817 on: April 09, 2020, 05:54:33 AM »

Unemployment report due to be released at 8:30AM EST this morning.  

CNBC anticipates another 5.25 million unemployment claims on top of last week's report.   

http://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/04/08/five-million-more-unemployment-claims-expected-but-now-layoffs-could-be-more-permanent.html
forgotten manatee
bluecat
United States

« Reply #818 on: April 09, 2020, 06:11:10 AM »

The debate between the health crisis vs the economic crisis is starting to heat up:

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-09/coronavirus-poverty-study-research-oxfam-anu/12136222

"Even under our most conservative scenario, too conservative to be realistic … we're still talking about 100 million extra people [falling] into extreme poverty," said ANU's Christopher Hoy, another of the authors.

My individual feeling is that some countries will let it run, if they haven't inadvertently done so already.

Under those circumstances, it would be better to have had the virus and developed antibodies. Those people with immunity will be more employable and more functional in the 'next' economy.

But your reasoning totally fails to account for the fact that hospital systems simply couldn’t/can’t keep up with EVERYONE falling sick at the same time. Doing it your way means a lot of people end up dead, and if a lot of people are dying, there’s no way the economy goes back to normal. Rather than kill millions to save the economy, it would be better to make sure there is help available to those displaced by the shutdown.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #819 on: April 09, 2020, 06:15:55 AM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/coronavirus-us-cases-deaths/

Apr. 9 at 4:03 a.m.

Cases:

Deaths:

Cases and Deaths, per state, raw:

Cases and Deaths, per state, per capita:

Totally 1973 deaths were registered yesterday, of which 53% are from NY + NJ.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #820 on: April 09, 2020, 07:32:33 AM »

The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #821 on: April 09, 2020, 07:33:04 AM »

Unemployment report due to be released at 8:30AM EST this morning.  

CNBC anticipates another 5.25 million unemployment claims on top of last week's report.   

http://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/04/08/five-million-more-unemployment-claims-expected-but-now-layoffs-could-be-more-permanent.html

6.6 M, just came over the squawk.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #822 on: April 09, 2020, 07:33:36 AM »
« Edited: April 09, 2020, 07:39:00 AM by Meclazine »

But your reasoning totally fails to account for the fact that hospital systems simply couldn’t/can’t keep up with EVERYONE falling sick at the same time. Doing it your way means a lot of people end up dead, and if a lot of people are dying, there’s no way the economy goes back to normal. Rather than kill millions to save the economy, it would be better to make sure there is help available to those displaced by the shutdown.

You need to read it more carefully.

I dont have any reasoning or argument. It's just two separate issues that need to be managed. I am just presenting an article that talks about the debate. Some countries with little to no testing have already had it run.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #823 on: April 09, 2020, 07:35:48 AM »

Just now I tuned into a Trump press conference for the first and last time.  Some dipsh**t reporter was asking him if he had any plans to pardon the Tiger King.

13,000 Americans dead so far.

Worse yet, Trump said he'd actually consider it. Shocked

At best, if he was joking about it was grossly inappropriate and ill-timed, further underscoring he really really doesn't get how serious this is outside of how it makes him look.

At worst, he's a complete loon. Most likely? Somewhere between the two.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #824 on: April 09, 2020, 07:38:38 AM »

I'm admittedly not going to take the time to read this article because it's pretty dense, but offhand I'm rather surprised considering one would think Physicians are the one area of business that would be booming now ( assuming they can stay healthy and not catch coronavirus in the process) Sad
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 88  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies