Pennsylvania 2010 - The Official Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 09:03:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pennsylvania 2010 - The Official Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 45
Author Topic: Pennsylvania 2010 - The Official Thread  (Read 116367 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: May 01, 2009, 11:35:40 AM »

Doesn't it depend in the end on how fast on their feet, and how are articulate they seem to be, and their  mastery of the issues, and ability to seem cognizant that their are competing considerations to wrestle with, and maybe it is time to think a bit out of the box?

Sure, it does and Toomey is strong in all of those areas. And that's ignored. All the time.

it still has  strong unions, a lot of social conservatives, with seculars kind of thin on the ground, and where the tendency is to think pork is one's favorite meat?

Hey, that's the case here, too. We're a real mixed bag, my friend.

By the way, I don't like how you say that seculars are "thin on the ground," as if their scarcity means that other groups (like social conservatives) make up all of the "dumb voters."

Scarce means that they are scarce relatively speaking (seculars). It does not mean folks of faith are dumb - which I don't believe - at all. I don't understand how you could draw that logical connection from the text of my post, Phil.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #576 on: May 01, 2009, 11:41:26 AM »

I mentioned this earlier, for the record.  Wink

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #577 on: May 01, 2009, 11:48:18 AM »

LOL

Brilliant. Just brilliant.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #578 on: May 01, 2009, 11:56:34 AM »

Facebook Fan page update...

Arlen Specter - 4,310

Pat Toomey - 4,810

Joe Sestak - 993

Smiley
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #579 on: May 01, 2009, 12:58:03 PM »

I'm interested in Gerlach for how his positions will "develop" if he does run in opposition to Toomey.  Will he advertise himself as the true conservative, <fruitless approach against Toomey>or the electable anti-Wall Street conservative <Ding ding ding ding! Correct answer!> or something else?  <<Like a Specterish moderate? Other viable options here are quite limited>
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #580 on: May 01, 2009, 01:17:39 PM »

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/earlyreturns/archive/2009/04/30/roddey-endorses-toomey.aspx

Pittsburgh's county chair endorses Toomey, that's a shot across Gerlach's bow

Wow! That's a BIG warning shot. Jim Roddey is the godfather of the GOP moderate/Wall Street wing in the greater Pittsburgh area. His endorsement here is huge.

I guess its not impossible for Gerlach to still win a primary banking on large margins in the SE, but to even be competitive with Toomey in the SW (remember how well he ran against Specter there in 04) would absolutely require the support of folks like Jim Roddey.

Again, BIG score for Toomey IMHO.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #581 on: May 01, 2009, 03:37:13 PM »

Wow! That's a BIG warning shot. Jim Roddey is the godfather of the GOP moderate/Wall Street wing in the greater Pittsburgh area. His endorsement here is huge.

I guess its not impossible for Gerlach to still win a primary banking on large margins in the SE, but to even be competitive with Toomey in the SW (remember how well he ran against Specter there in 04) would absolutely require the support of folks like Jim Roddey.

Again, BIG score for Toomey IMHO.

The SE won't be enough. That's not where these races are won (in GOP primaries). Plus, Toomey has been big out west (even though he's from the east) since 2004. That's why Roddey's endorsement isn't really that surprising. His people want it. It's just a sign that the establishment can't really block Toomey as much as they might want.

By the way, badger, I didn't know you were a fellow Pennsylvanian. Welcome!  Smiley
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #582 on: May 01, 2009, 04:34:33 PM »

why does pennsylvania always get all the attention all the time. ugh.

1. Pennsylvania is the absolute must-win state for the Democrats. Without it in 2008, Obama had no chance to win; once he solidified a lead in Pennsylvania he had many ways in which to win.

2. By putting almost all efforts in a quixotic effort to win Pennsylvania late in the 2008 campaign, John McCain showed how important Pennsylvania is.

3. Among the largest states it is closer to a microcosm of America than any other large state except perhaps Ohio. 

4. As goes Pennsylvania, so goes Michigan. As late is 2008, PA (21)+ MI (17) > TX (34)

5. Pennsylvania is a real trend-setter in American politics.  Santorum in in 1994 with the GOP ascendency; Santorum out in 2006 with the GOP descendency.

6. Greater Philadelphia is more capricious in its voting patterns than greater Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, Detroit, or San Francisco.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #583 on: May 01, 2009, 04:47:52 PM »

He was doing his usual "I'm skeptical of Specter" routine and basically said he's not getting his hopes up about Arlen being what Dems want him to be. He said a decision has to come soon for fundraising purposes.

As of now, he's running.  Smiley  Let's see if that stays the same.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #584 on: May 01, 2009, 04:49:47 PM »

Phil, would you prefer Sestak over Specter?  I assume you prefer someone that has a chance of believing in something?

And Sestak *needs* to be there in order to create a fire under Arlen's ass to vote liberally..on, say, Souter's replacement.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #585 on: May 01, 2009, 05:00:47 PM »

Phil, would you prefer Sestak over Specter?  I assume you prefer someone that has a chance of believing in something?

As my Senator? I know Sestak is to Specter's left but Sestak is a class act (as far as I know/can tell). He's genuine. I've seen it (albeit briefly) firsthand.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #586 on: May 01, 2009, 05:08:24 PM »

That's what I thought.  Unless you somehow preferred having a ticking time bomb among the Democratic ranks or you preferred someone that will be around shorter to give the GOP a chance at the seat... Sestak seems infinitely better.

I've consistently said that Specter can't really "prove himself" immediately after switching parties, as that will only needlessly heighten the view that he's an a political opportunist.  I have a prediction:  His vote on the cloture for Dawn Johnsen will be the first indicator whether he's on board or not.  He says he's opposed to her [for her pro-choice views?  doesn't he share them?], but hasn't articulated how he'd vote on a cloture motion for her.  If he votes one way on her vote but another on the filibuster, it'll mean that he's 100% on board with Obama... for a year or two.

Sestak is a cat ready to pounce if Specter is going to do the Democratic equivalent of voting for the stimulus while running in the GOP primary.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #587 on: May 01, 2009, 07:10:17 PM »

He was doing his usual "I'm skeptical of Specter" routine and basically said he's not getting his hopes up about Arlen being what Dems want him to be. He said a decision has to come soon for fundraising purposes.

Smiley indeed. If for no other reason, the higher ups must be reminded that this kind of political shuffling is not gonna happen this easily. We win seats on votes, not quid pro quo's. Be it Toomey, Sestak (preferably Wink) or anyone else, given the current political fatcatting, I cannot and will not support Specter.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #588 on: May 01, 2009, 07:35:23 PM »

Yeah, I saw this too and I'd have to agree that he's still planning on running. He'll probably get strong-armed out of it though. It's a shame, I'd easily support him over Specter.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #589 on: May 01, 2009, 10:02:46 PM »

Sestak is a dream candidate for us Democrats.  God I hope he runs...
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #590 on: May 01, 2009, 10:44:52 PM »

I've always liked Sestak. He's got great progressive credentials, and he's the kind of Democrat who would play very well among certain swing groups, due solely to his demeanor and his personal story.

It would really underline the change in this country if Sestak beat Specter in the primary and then rolled over Toomey in the general. Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #591 on: May 01, 2009, 10:47:09 PM »

Sestak is a dream candidate for us Democrats.  God I hope he runs...

Uh...you need to realize that he'd run to Specter's left and then he'd become the "moderate slayer." That would be a serious problem.

then rolled over Toomey in the general. Smiley

Which wouldn't happen especially after beating Specter in the primary.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #592 on: May 01, 2009, 10:49:22 PM »

Moderate slaying is a problem now, is it?  Interesting

Yeah, I saw this too and I'd have to agree that he's still planning on running. He'll probably get strong-armed out of it though. It's a shame, I'd easily support him over Specter.

Strong-armed in the fact that the entire Democratic establishment has promised Specter their endorsements and possible  campaigning.

BUT, if Specter doesn't pull through and out-moderates himself, just like he did with the stimulus, despite clear orders from Obama/Reid etc., expect them to stay neutral in a Sestak-Specter primary...  Specter has shot himself in the foot before measuring public attitudes, he COULD do it again, but it's unlikely.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #593 on: May 01, 2009, 10:52:17 PM »

Moderate slaying is a problem now, is it?  Interesting

Dude, when did I ever say that it wasn't a problem if Toomey did it? I just don't think it's the be all and end all and I'm not arguing that it is in this situation.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #594 on: May 01, 2009, 10:53:11 PM »

I just don't remember you ever saying it, not that you didn't say it wouldn't be it
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #595 on: May 01, 2009, 10:55:55 PM »

I just don't remember you ever saying it, not that you didn't say it wouldn't be it

I've constantly admitted that Toomey would struggle in a General and this would obviously be a reason why. Now he'll likely avoid getting his hands dirty (assuming Gerlach stays away).
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #596 on: May 01, 2009, 10:58:43 PM »

I've hinted towards this, but yeah, the PA Republican primary is important because Toomey doesn't have to spend money in order to make himself as conservative as possible. 

But to be honest, unlike 98% of candidates, I don't know if he'll attempt to make himself at least a little more centrist on the issues in a relatively uncontested primary, should it exist.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #597 on: May 02, 2009, 12:52:03 AM »
« Edited: May 02, 2009, 01:06:56 AM by Lunar »

Here's Sestak on Hardball... he's a bit  of a fumbler when it comes to speaking, I'm impressed that he's one of the best fundraisers in the House though, especially with a non-political background

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2g196AtfO4&eurl

I'd support Sestak over Specter.  If the Democrats reject Arlen it's not because he's too moderate or the Democrats are going for an ideological purge, it'll be because he promised to deliver some crucial support that he never delivered... and his vote is 150% unreliable in 2011.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #598 on: May 02, 2009, 01:02:12 AM »

I'd support Sestak over Hardball. 

O RLY?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #599 on: May 02, 2009, 01:07:11 AM »

ysrly