Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:24:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 142 143 ... 313
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 223557 times)
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3425 on: November 05, 2023, 05:35:26 AM »

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3426 on: November 05, 2023, 05:36:23 AM »

Good riddance.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #3427 on: November 05, 2023, 05:50:34 AM »

Good riddance.

A reminder though : supporting this particular Israeli government means supporting these extreme factions that sit in government positions within it.
EastwoodS

« Reply #3428 on: November 05, 2023, 05:56:51 AM »

I sent Senator AFE and moderator KoppaDaQuick personal messages that they should be ashamed of themselves for openly supporting the terrorists of Hamas. Instead, they should support Israel and the Jewish People, who have been encircled and oppressed and killed for centuries by various enemies and who have every right to defend themselves and go after Hamas terrorists, now and forever!

Hey bud, if I "support" Hamas as you baselessly accuse me of, show me any one of my posts here where I do.

For the record in my case I don't believe you are supporting what Hamas is doing. However you're supporting a ceasefire. So you give them a free pass for what they have done. Like for you they can abduct civilians, rape them, decapitate them and Israel cannot destroy them and some kind of ceasefire should be imposed so Hamas will nicely be able to do the same thing in a few months/few years.

You really don't see how this ceasefire you want it to be implemented is going to make Hamas survive do you?
These people think in a very black and white, kindergarten tier type of a way. They don’t and can’t think with nuance. A ceasefire? lol. Israel wouldn’t survive a year from now if that happened.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3429 on: November 05, 2023, 06:00:57 AM »

Good riddance.

Netanyahu's own ministers are leaking that this punishment is meaningless because he wasn't fired, he was just suspended from meetings that aren't happening anyway because the full cabinet just do phone votes on the war cabinet's decisions.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3430 on: November 05, 2023, 06:49:27 AM »

Good riddance.

A reminder though : supporting this particular Israeli government means supporting these extreme factions that sit in government positions within it.

Indeed, what should happen is the loony rightists dumped en masse and the likes of Lapid brought in - this would, after all, still be a broad based "war government".

But that would put Netanyahu in a weaker position, which is all that matters to him.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #3431 on: November 05, 2023, 07:00:54 AM »
« Edited: November 05, 2023, 07:35:19 AM by Meclazine for Israel »

Hamas rocket design.

The Qassam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8fyPsoGlY

A brief guide behind how Hamas construct their most prolifically used weapon.

At $600 per rocket, whilst economic, the Qassam has a failure rate around 20-30% whereby the rocket explodes within Gaza itself.

On October 7, they were said to have launched somewhere in the vicinity of 3,000 rockets including this and the larger Iranian made rocket.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #3432 on: November 05, 2023, 08:27:59 AM »

It's kind of astonishing how hard Israel lost the propaganda war. They clearly haven't handled the transition from 20th to 21st century media very well

1992: 45% of Americans support Israel
2022: 75% of Americans support Israel

What planet are you coming from? Israel only really started winning the propaganda war in the 21st century. The whole narrative which tries to emphasize that Palestine is morally superior to Israel because Israel bombs hospitals and refugee camps has been a dramatic failure everywhere.

Anecdotally this poll doesn't align with my reality at all, and I think it's reflective of the phrasing in this poll (or the age divide on this topic not being shown in this poll)

I think 75% and more of Americans "support Israel" in the sense that it has a right to exist and defend itself (also my own view).

A very significant amount of people I know are *deeply* critical of some of Israel's actions in the last month, even if they think some type of response is justified.

There is absolutely a decline in overall support for Israel's engagements even if that hasn't effected a general support of Israel.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #3433 on: November 05, 2023, 09:11:21 AM »

Bruh.

That's an admission that they don't think they are winning.

Saber rattling with nukes is something Russia does when it's losing.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3434 on: November 05, 2023, 09:21:55 AM »

Bruh.

That's an admission that they don't think they are winning.

Saber rattling with nukes is something Russia does when it's losing.

He's one of Otzma Yehudit's critters and has little to do with any military affairs. Netanyahu letting these crazies into the cabinet in the first place will be his ultimate undoing.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3435 on: November 05, 2023, 09:46:54 AM »

He has to be talking about a tactical nuke.  A large nuclear weapon dropped in Gaza will kill almost as many Israelis as Palestinians.
false
if you drag the "target" thing to northern Gaza and select the B83 (the largest bomb in the US arsenal, Israel would not use a bomb this size on Gaza even if they had one that size, which I don't know if they do or not) and press the "boom" button that the 'splosion isn't as big as you'd assume.  The "conventional wisdom" as to the size of nukes is very off.  I blame movies and peaceniks.  Even the Tsar Bomba (as tested) wouldn't break windows in Tel Aviv.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3436 on: November 05, 2023, 09:52:38 AM »

Hamas rocket design.

The Qassam

At $600 per rocket, whilst economic, the Qassam has a failure rate around 20-30% whereby the rocket explodes within Gaza itself.

On October 7, they were said to have launched somewhere in the vicinity of 3,000 rockets including this and the larger Iranian made rocket.
so 600ish bombs have gone off in Gaza, in completely random locations, due to Hamas.  I wonder how many died.  I don't have to wonder who Hamas and their uncomfortable allies, the anti-Zionists, blame for those deaths.
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
« Reply #3437 on: November 05, 2023, 10:14:52 AM »

Bruh.

Netanyahu trying to court the Posadist vote
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #3438 on: November 05, 2023, 10:30:07 AM »

Bruh.

Is this the first time Israel has ever admitted to having nuclear weapons at all? As far as I’m aware they have always been silent on the issue and maintained ambiguity.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #3439 on: November 05, 2023, 11:24:45 AM »

Scott Morrison and Boris Johnson, two of the finest former leaders of their respective countries, have flown into Israel to support Benjamin Netanyahu with this War against Hamas.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-05/israel-gaza-war-latest-updates-un-school-ceasefire/103065914

Former prime minister Scott Morrison has flown into Israel, saying he wanted to "demonstrate solidarity" with Israel and the Jewish community.

In a statement, Mr Morrison said he wants to see for himself the situation in Israel.

"I am thankful for the opportunity to join former prime minister Johnson, to come to Israel as a demonstration of solidarity with the people and State of Israel and the Jewish community throughout the world," he said.

"It is an opportunity to understand first-hand what is occurring on the ground, honour those who have been lost, show support to those who have suffered and are now engaged in this terrible conflict and discuss how to move forward."

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #3440 on: November 05, 2023, 11:31:42 AM »

Scott Morrison and Boris Johnson, two of the finest former leaders of their respective countries, have flown into Israel to support Benjamin Netanyahu with this War against Hamas.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-05/israel-gaza-war-latest-updates-un-school-ceasefire/103065914

Former prime minister Scott Morrison has flown into Israel, saying he wanted to "demonstrate solidarity" with Israel and the Jewish community.

In a statement, Mr Morrison said he wants to see for himself the situation in Israel.

"I am thankful for the opportunity to join former prime minister Johnson, to come to Israel as a demonstration of solidarity with the people and State of Israel and the Jewish community throughout the world," he said.

"It is an opportunity to understand first-hand what is occurring on the ground, honour those who have been lost, show support to those who have suffered and are now engaged in this terrible conflict and discuss how to move forward."

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #3441 on: November 05, 2023, 11:32:06 AM »

Hamas rocket design.

The Qassam

so 600ish bombs have gone off in Gaza, in completely random locations, due to Hamas.  I wonder how many died.  I don't have to wonder who Hamas and their uncomfortable allies, the anti-Zionists, blame for those deaths.

Hamas control the media 100% in Gaza. No self-inflicted rocket incidents. No dead Hamas soldiers. You will never see a militant in black with a green head scarf lying dead from battle.

IDF have stated that they evidence of Hamas threatening journalists if there photos do not assist them.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #3442 on: November 05, 2023, 11:33:57 AM »

I was going to say “lay off the crack pipe” but Stephen A puts it better then I ever could.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #3443 on: November 05, 2023, 11:38:45 AM »

When you're pulling out the old hits, you know you've lost international support
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #3444 on: November 05, 2023, 11:55:28 AM »

A series of posters depicting Adolf Hitler with a Benjamin Netanyahu mask have been posted around Sydney traffic locations this weekend.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-05/nsw-police-investigate-posters-hitler-mask-benjamin-netanyahu/103067006

Executive Council of Australian Jewry co-CEO Alex Ryvchin said the appearance of Hitler posters was "inevitable" in the wake of "weekly anti-Israel protests."

"[The posters are] intended to intimidate and harass Jewish Australians, many of whom are Holocaust survivors or their descendants," he said.

A pro-Palestinian rally on October 9, where some protesters threw flares and chanted anti-Semitic slurs as the Opera House was lit in the colours of the Israeli flag, marked the beginning of actions in recent weeks.

Police urge anyone with information to contact Crime Stoppers.(ABC)

Even though Police are investigating, Australa may not have any laws to deal with this particular abhorrence.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3445 on: November 05, 2023, 12:28:05 PM »

As Israel’s ground invasion of Gaza escalates, the Biden administration finds itself in a precarious position: Administration officials say Israel’s counterattack against Hamas has been too severe, too costly in civilian casualties, and lacking a coherent endgame, but they are unable to exert significant influence on America’s closest ally in the Middle East to change its course.

U.S. efforts to get Israel to scale back its counterattack in response to the Oct. 7 killings by Hamas that left at least 1,400 Israelis dead have failed or fallen short. The Biden administration urged Israel against a ground invasion, privately asked it to consider proportionality in its attacks, advocated a higher priority on avoiding civilian deaths, and called for a humanitarian pause — only for Israeli officials to dismiss or reject all those suggestions.

[...]

In recent days, they said, the administration has become deeply uncomfortable with some of Israel’s tactics. Last week, Israel bombed the densely packed Jabalya refugee camp two days in a row, an attack that Israel said killed a Hamas leader but that also killed dozens of civilians. On Friday, an Israeli airstrike hit near the entrance of Al Shifa Hospital in Gaza City, a strike the Israeli military said was aimed at an ambulance “being used by a Hamas terrorist cell.” And Israeli authorities recently expelled thousands of Palestinians who had been in Israel for work, sending them back into Gaza even as it continues to bomb the enclave.

Shortly after the Oct. 7 attacks, Israel urged more than 1 million people in northern Gaza to evacuate to the south within 24 hours, a task the United Nations called impossible, and the country cut off food, fuel, medicine, water and electricity. Many people who have fled to the southern part of Gaza have been killed or injured in Israeli airstrikes, according to the Gaza Health Ministry.

[...]

Critics of the Biden administration, including many Arab and Muslim Americans, argue that the United States has enormous financial leverage over Israel and could impose far more pressure if it chose.

Washington is Israel’s largest military backer, and the White House has asked Congress for an additional $14 billion in aid for Israel in the wake of the Hamas attacks. But administration officials and advisers say the levers the United States theoretically has over Israel, such as conditioning military aid on making the military campaign more targeted, are nonstarters, partly because they would be so politically unpopular in any administration and partly because, aides say, Biden himself has a personal attachment to Israel.

[...]

While still a minority in the party, a growing number of Democrats are calling for a cease-fire, and some progressives are questioning U.S. military support of Israel more broadly.

“Of course the United States has leverage — we provide Israel with $4 billion a year in grant aid,” said Bruce Riedel, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution who worked on Middle East issues in the Clinton administration. “But every American administration, going back to the 1970s, has been loath to use that leverage because it would be highly unpopular.”

[...]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/11/05/white-house-resigned-israel-onslaught-gaza/
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #3446 on: November 05, 2023, 12:42:26 PM »

Aww they're frustrated. Maybe they'll send an angry, private text in response.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3447 on: November 05, 2023, 12:44:33 PM »

It's ridiculous that the Biden Administration says that it is "unable to exert significant influence on" while refusing to use the "$4 billion a year in grant aid" as leverage.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3448 on: November 05, 2023, 12:45:44 PM »

Aww they're frustrated. Maybe they'll send an angry, private text in response.

Exactly.

The $4 billion annual aid is a huge leverage, yet the Biden administration refuses to use it.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3449 on: November 05, 2023, 01:18:33 PM »

Bruh.

Is this the first time Israel has ever admitted to having nuclear weapons at all? As far as I’m aware they have always been silent on the issue and maintained ambiguity.

He says he was speaking metaphorically.

Translation: A particularly crazy member of the cabinet let national secrets slip, and now they have to do damage control.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 142 143 ... 313  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies