Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:50:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 130 131 132 133 134 [135] 136 137 138 139 140 ... 295
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 208210 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3350 on: November 03, 2023, 10:42:32 AM »

Nasrallah speech in minutes. I don't expect nothing big though.

Basically this, but of course Hezbollah =/= Lebanon.

It's surprising to me that the Houthis of all people have ended up more directly involved than Hezbollah, so far.
bilaps
« Reply #3351 on: November 03, 2023, 12:30:30 PM »

Nasrallah speech in minutes. I don't expect nothing big though.

Basically this, but of course Hezbollah =/= Lebanon.

It's surprising to me that the Houthis of all people have ended up more directly involved than Hezbollah, so far.

Iran's response was so far to put up a fight with Houthis and Iraqi militias. Nasrallah went to great lenghts to say he didn't know for Hamas action and I do beleive him. Maybe this means that Iranians didn't know too or they didn't expect to succeed because nobody really expected Israelis to fail so miserably on that day.
Logical

« Reply #3352 on: November 03, 2023, 12:40:11 PM »

Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #3353 on: November 03, 2023, 01:44:53 PM »

Sociopathic electorate. Bibi's done after this war if not sooner but expecting a new government to take a less belligerent stance towards Palestine is the zenith of naivete.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3354 on: November 03, 2023, 01:53:44 PM »

Funny, we have no data showing us what Gazans think since an election decades ago, but here we have proof that close to 50% of Israelis have the same attitude towards civilians as Hamas (with another 35% close behind). Yet it's the Gazan civilians we're supposed to be worried about?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #3355 on: November 03, 2023, 02:11:48 PM »

Sociopathic electorate. Bibi's done after this war if not sooner but expecting a new government to take a less belligerent stance towards Palestine is the zenith of naivete.

I think this is a very reasonable electorate under these wartime circumstances.  This is merely the logic of "I care about my son more than my nephew, I care about my nephew more than a distant relative, I care about my distant relative more than ... etc etc" applied recursively.  In the end, people care more about their kin than those who are not kin.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3356 on: November 03, 2023, 02:13:06 PM »

I think this is a very reasonable electorate under these wartime circumstances.  This is merely the logic of "I care about my son more than my nephew, I care about my nephew more than a distant relative, I care about my distant relative more than ... etc etc" applied recursively.  In the end, people care more about their kin than those who are not kin.

Well you're also a sociopath so that makes sense.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3357 on: November 03, 2023, 02:15:48 PM »

Honestly, Hezbollah making serious military moves would be stupid. It's an empty threat or a bluff. They know that Israel war superior military, let alone with possible logistical assistance or air strikes by the US.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3358 on: November 03, 2023, 02:33:50 PM »

Whilst such poll findings are sobering, they are roughly what you would expect in the circumstances - I have little doubt that surveys of Allied countries in WW2 would have shown very similar figures.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3359 on: November 03, 2023, 02:40:05 PM »

Whilst such poll findings are sobering, they are roughly what you would expect in the circumstances - I have little doubt that surveys of Allied countries in WW2 would have shown very similar figures.

And the Allied countries would've been wrong to think that.

They. Are. Civilians.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3360 on: November 03, 2023, 02:43:58 PM »

They. Are. Civilians.

And indeed some in those countries said that at the time, they were a minority though. The point is that this tends to be the case in wars, and is indeed a reason why they should be avoided if possible.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3361 on: November 03, 2023, 02:44:30 PM »

Most definitely these poll respondents are rational. But rightness and rationality are not the same.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #3362 on: November 03, 2023, 03:25:29 PM »

If not for (some of them) being blinded by the ideology of Palestinian nationalism, it should be pretty easy for the Palestinians to see that the destruction of the modern conception of Palestine is in their best interests as well.

Funny, we have no data showing us what Gazans think since an election decades ago, but here we have proof that close to 50% of Israelis have the same attitude towards civilians as Hamas (with another 35% close behind). Yet it's the Gazan civilians we're supposed to be worried about?

I mean, we have polls. I guess I would trust the Israeli ones more than polls conducted under a dictatorship, but still.

Anyway, "Not so much" is literally the correct answer for prosecuting a war and someone who gives a different answer is either so supremely hubristic and confident of victory that he has no respect for the enemy -- and forces like this invariably lose eventually -- or just insane.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3363 on: November 03, 2023, 07:46:34 PM »

This is a great description of the coverage of this conflict.

I say this as an atheist who has zero connection to either the Israelis or the Palestinians.

"So I quoted a cartoon by a Holocaust denier"
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3364 on: November 03, 2023, 08:25:37 PM »

Israeli strikes kill many outside of a Gaza Hospital earlier today...

An Israeli airstrike hit near the entrance of Al Shifa Hospital in Gaza City on Friday, killing multiple people, according to Gazan and Israeli officials, just as Palestinians said a convoy of ambulances was preparing to leave the hospital carrying wounded people to the Gaza border, to cross into Egypt for treatment.

The Israeli military said it had carried out the strike on an ambulance “being used by a Hamas terrorist cell,” adding in a statement that “a number of Hamas terrorist operatives were killed in the strike.” An Israeli military spokesman, Maj. Nir Dinar, confirmed that it was the same strike that caused the explosion outside the hospital.

The head of Al Shifa Hospital, Dr. Mohammad Abu Salmiya, said that 13 people had been killed and many were injured. He said that paramedics and patients in the evacuation convoy were among the injured, but that none had been killed. The death toll could not be independently verified.

A statement late Friday from the Palestine Red Crescent Society said that there were five ambulances in the convoy, four operated by the Gazan Health Ministry and one by the charity.  It said the ambulances left the hospital at 4:05 p.m. and headed toward the southern border, but after about 2.5 miles reached a crater in the road and had to turn back.

The statement said that when the returning convoy was less than a half-mile from the hospital, a strike hit the leading ambulance, which was operated by the Gazan health ministry. The other four ambulances proceeded to Al Shifa Hospital. When the Red Crescent Society’s ambulance reached within a few feet of the entrance, it, too, was hit, the statement said.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/11/03/world/israel-hamas-war-gaza-news
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #3365 on: November 03, 2023, 08:37:21 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2023, 08:57:25 PM by Meclazine for Israel »

Song For Israeli Soldiers

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyyRBKGse12/

PBS News Hour

Brooks and Capehart Analysis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_6EZ691XYc
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3366 on: November 03, 2023, 08:43:04 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2023, 08:46:07 PM by Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin »

Honestly, Hezbollah making serious military moves would be stupid. It's an empty threat or a bluff. They know that Israel war superior military, let alone with possible logistical assistance or air strikes by the US.

The "superior military" that just got blinded-sided so badly by Hamas that hundreds of terrorists went on a massive murderous rampage for the better part of a day?

There's telling everyone how good you are, telling yourself how good you are, and actually proving how good you are against someone else. The IDF is certainly good at the first two, but any evidence for the third is generations old now.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3367 on: November 03, 2023, 09:20:01 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2023, 09:24:14 PM by pppolitics »

I say this as an atheist who has zero connection to either the Israelis or the Palestinians.

"So I quoted a cartoon by a Holocaust denier"

LIES!

C.L.: The artwork with which I won second place was a depiction of an elderly Palestinian man wearing a Nazi concentration camp uniform, and some people said that I was “denying the Holocaust”! That was completely stupid, since I’m affirming the Holocaust with that illustration. Believe me, no matter what I draw and where I publish, there will be always someone who will point a finger and say it’s antisemitic.

https://forward.com/culture/14745/latuff-cartoonist-in-conversation-02995/
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3368 on: November 03, 2023, 09:27:53 PM »

You don't need to defend Carlos Latuff in order to make this point. He's hardly the only person making it.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #3369 on: November 03, 2023, 09:35:00 PM »

Whoever made it it's an utterly stupid cartoon too. This conflict is the most covered in recent media history, and we see regular false pro-Palestinian reports like the recent "israel blew up a hospital' saga. The Tigray conflict, or Syria since 2016 is an actual example of a conflict with zero media coverage.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3370 on: November 03, 2023, 09:40:11 PM »

Whoever made it it's an utterly stupid cartoon too. This conflict is the most covered in recent media history, and we see regular false pro-Palestinian reports like the recent "israel blew up a hospital' saga. The Tigray conflict, or Syria since 2016 is an actual example of a conflict with zero media coverage.

Okay, near the hospital.

An Israeli airstrike hit near the entrance of Al Shifa Hospital in Gaza City on Friday, killing multiple people, according to Gazan and Israeli officials, just as Palestinians said a convoy of ambulances was preparing to leave the hospital carrying wounded people to the Gaza border, to cross into Egypt for treatment.

Happy now?
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #3371 on: November 03, 2023, 11:22:17 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2023, 11:26:07 PM by Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist »

If Hamas was targeting their attacks at the Israeli military and police forces, I would consider them to be a legitimate resistance movement, like the MK under Mandela.

Of course, they're very obviously not that and never have been. Civilians have always been their primary target, and that makes them a morally reprehensible group.

And I say that as someone who is horrified by how Israel is conducting this war.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3372 on: November 03, 2023, 11:36:23 PM »

If Hamas was targeting their attacks at the Israeli military and police forces, I would consider them to be a legitimate resistance movement, like the MK under Mandela.

Of course, they're very obviously not that and never have been. Civilians have always been their primary target, and that makes them a morally reprehensible group.

And I say that as someone who is horrified by how Israel is conducting this war.

It would be a mistake to presume that I sympathize with Hamas.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3373 on: November 04, 2023, 12:14:55 AM »

If not for (some of them) being blinded by the ideology of Palestinian nationalism, it should be pretty easy for the Palestinians to see that the destruction of the modern conception of Palestine is in their best interests as well.

I mean, we have polls. I guess I would trust the Israeli ones more than polls conducted under a dictatorship, but still.

Anyway, "Not so much" is literally the correct answer for prosecuting a war and someone who gives a different answer is either so supremely hubristic and confident of victory that he has no respect for the enemy -- and forces like this invariably lose eventually -- or just insane.

Comments like these leave the distinct impression that the pro-Israel side is not in fact morally superior.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3374 on: November 04, 2023, 12:15:34 AM »
« Edited: November 04, 2023, 12:20:11 AM by All Along The Watchtower »

They. Are. Civilians.

And indeed some in those countries said that at the time, they were a minority though. The point is that this tends to be the case in wars, and is indeed a reason why they should be avoided if possible.

Netanyahu wanted and needed this war, just like he needed Hamas to undermine the PA, divide Palestinians, and ensure continued support for Israeli policy in the West, especially the US. It’s horrifying that Israeli and Palestinian civilians have been paying the price.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 132 133 134 [135] 136 137 138 139 140 ... 295  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies