NY: Convicted Felon Donald Trump!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:08:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NY: Convicted Felon Donald Trump!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 ... 169
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: NY: Convicted Felon Donald Trump!  (Read 93345 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1750 on: April 15, 2024, 09:36:53 AM »

In the meantime, I think it's incumbent upon GOP governors to use their powers to punish the state of New York. Shut down flights originating from NYC from landing in their states. The NY-FL air market is huge, so that would have an impact. Plus, you have huge airline hubs in TX and GA that would cause a harrowing effect on NY. Cancel all state-funded travel to NY. Not only does this apply to government employees, but also publicly funded universities. Any NCAA sporting events in NY would be effected. And make clear these sanctions will not be lifted until the case is dismissed.

Why should Trump be above the law?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1751 on: April 15, 2024, 09:40:00 AM »

So much winning

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1752 on: April 15, 2024, 09:40:43 AM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1753 on: April 15, 2024, 09:45:45 AM »

mjba257
United States
« Reply #1754 on: April 15, 2024, 09:45:52 AM »

In the meantime, I think it's incumbent upon GOP governors to use their powers to punish the state of New York. Shut down flights originating from NYC from landing in their states. The NY-FL air market is huge, so that would have an impact. Plus, you have huge airline hubs in TX and GA that would cause a harrowing effect on NY. Cancel all state-funded travel to NY. Not only does this apply to government employees, but also publicly funded universities. Any NCAA sporting events in NY would be effected. And make clear these sanctions will not be lifted until the case is dismissed.

Why should Trump be above the law?

It's about the weaponization of law enforcement, one of the biggest threats facing our country today. Here you have a far left DA who refuses to prosecute violent thugs in his jurisdiction, yet finds the time to dig up a frivolous matter from almost a decade ago against his political foe. And then applying a novel legal theory to create a felony, even though he doesn't even have jurisdiction over the matter. It is absolutely banana republic sh**t and New York should be ashamed of itself.

We don't allow flights to and from North Korea, Syria, Iran, etc. because they are despotic hellholes that lack a true justice system. New York state is now in the same category.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #1755 on: April 15, 2024, 09:46:23 AM »

There are so many things wrong with this case and I have some quite choice words for Mr. Bragg, but the most glaring problems are 1) Statue of Limitations and 2) NY doesn't have jurisdiction over a federal matter, and the Feds declined to prosecute this case. I think its incumbent upon SCOTUS to step in and shut the case down now. Usually, they don't get involved until the appeals process, but given the unprecedented nature of this case plus the horrific ramifications it could have on our body politic, its best to be shut down now.

There are indeed some thorny legal questions that still need to be resolved in this case, but these aren’t them.
1) The 5 year Statute of Limitations is tolled during periods when the Defendant was continuously outside of the state.
2) Trump is being prosecuted under New York State law for the state crime of falsifying business records.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1756 on: April 15, 2024, 09:48:04 AM »

Trump is not looking good in that photo.
mjba257
United States
« Reply #1757 on: April 15, 2024, 09:50:15 AM »

There are so many things wrong with this case and I have some quite choice words for Mr. Bragg, but the most glaring problems are 1) Statue of Limitations and 2) NY doesn't have jurisdiction over a federal matter, and the Feds declined to prosecute this case. I think its incumbent upon SCOTUS to step in and shut the case down now. Usually, they don't get involved until the appeals process, but given the unprecedented nature of this case plus the horrific ramifications it could have on our body politic, its best to be shut down now.

There are indeed some thorny legal questions that still need to be resolved in this case, but these aren’t them.
1) The 5 year Statute of Limitations is tolled during periods when the Defendant was continuously outside of the state.
2) Trump is being prosecuted under New York State law for the state crime of falsifying business records.

That is a very flawed interpretation of the Statute of Limitations and one that almost certainly won't hold up to scrutiny from SCOTUS.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1758 on: April 15, 2024, 09:55:10 AM »

Redban

« Reply #1759 on: April 15, 2024, 09:55:45 AM »

What's with his eyes in the photo above
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1760 on: April 15, 2024, 09:56:25 AM »

What's with his eyes in the photo above

I assume he probably didn't sleep last night
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1761 on: April 15, 2024, 10:03:41 AM »

That is a very flawed interpretation of the Statute of Limitations and one that almost certainly won't hold up to scrutiny from SCOTUS.
That’s not even an interpretation. It’s just black letter law.

§ 30.10 Timeliness of prosecutions; periods of limitation.

4. In calculating the time limitation applicable to commencement of a
criminal action, the following periods shall not be included:

(a) Any period following the commission of the offense during which
(i) the defendant was continuously outside this state or (ii) the
whereabouts of the defendant were continuously unknown and continuously
unascertainable by the exercise of reasonable diligence. However, in no
event shall the period of limitation be extended by more than five years
beyond the period otherwise applicable under subdivision two.
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/CPL/30.10
Most jurisdictions have such a provision for tolling the statute of limitations. What is the Constitutional argument against it that you think SCOTUS would bite at?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1762 on: April 15, 2024, 10:16:12 AM »

mjba257
United States
« Reply #1763 on: April 15, 2024, 10:17:04 AM »

Most jurisdictions have such a provision for tolling the statute of limitations. What is the Constitutional argument against it that you think SCOTUS would bite at?

Time is linear. If a crime happened on April 14n 2023 and the Statute of Limitations is one year, it expired yesterday. Doesn't matter if said offender wasn't in state everyday for the past year. The universe does not stop because someone left a jurisdiction. All of those states who have such interpretation are wrong and SCOTUS should strike it down. And given the makeup of the current SCOTUS, it's almost certain they will. Even some of liberals may join along.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1764 on: April 15, 2024, 10:22:19 AM »

Time is linear. If a crime happened on April 14n 2023 and the Statute of Limitations is one year, it expired yesterday. Doesn't matter if said offender wasn't in state everyday for the past year. The universe does not stop because someone left a jurisdiction. All of those states who have such interpretation are wrong and SCOTUS should strike it down. And given the makeup of the current SCOTUS, it's almost certain they will. Even some of liberals may join along.

The courts will rule on the law as written, in this case New York state law, which as Steve pointed out is perfectly clear.  SCOTUS could override it if such law violated federal law or the U.S. Constitution.  No court will rule based on your theory above. 

If you think the law should perfectly reflect the physical nature of the Universe, I advise you to never go to law school.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1765 on: April 15, 2024, 10:23:21 AM »

Even if (he gets convicted and) it gets struck down, that won't happen before the election.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1766 on: April 15, 2024, 10:25:02 AM »

You can’t just say “SCOTUS should strike it down” when you haven’t even attempted to mount a Constitutional argument. You’re just saying that you personally don’t like it, so SCOTUS should strike it down. Nothing in the Constitution requires any particular limitations period for any particular crime. Some crimes, in fact, have NO statute of limitations (usually murder and maybe sexual assault against children). This has never been held to be unconstitutional.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1767 on: April 15, 2024, 10:27:25 AM »

there *what* is?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1768 on: April 15, 2024, 10:31:56 AM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1769 on: April 15, 2024, 10:34:13 AM »

there *what* is?

Prosecution requesting the judge order Trump to prove why he shouldn't be held in contempt-of-court, which means the prosecution believes that Trump is currently in contempt-of-court

NEW: While arguing for the admission of tweets and social media posts evocative of Trump’s pressure campaign on witnesses, the DA’s office drops this: “Shortly, we will be seeking an order to show cause why Defendant should not be held in contempt” for violating the gag order.

Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #1770 on: April 15, 2024, 10:46:23 AM »

I think the SoL question has already been conclusively resolved. If Trump has a legitimate argument there, it would have gone through the appeals process well before this stage of the case.

While point (2) doesn't prevent NY from bringing this case, I do think it points to significant weakness in any attempt to rely on federal campaign finance law as an underlying crime to make the records falsification a felony.  I really do hope the prosecution leans on something stronger to make their case if they have any hope for conviction.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1771 on: April 15, 2024, 10:48:02 AM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1772 on: April 15, 2024, 10:53:11 AM »

Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #1773 on: April 15, 2024, 10:56:07 AM »

Can people refrain from just posting tweetstorms in this tread without any context.  They really make the thread much more difficult to follow.  They take up so much of the space in the thread and marginalize any actual discussion from posters. Maybe at least summarize and contextualize these tweets at the top of the post?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1774 on: April 15, 2024, 10:58:18 AM »

The fact that this was allowed - in and of itself - is still insane to me

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 ... 169  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies