NY: Convicted Felon Donald Trump!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 06:20:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NY: Convicted Felon Donald Trump!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 91 ... 172
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: NY: Convicted Felon Donald Trump!  (Read 96936 times)
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2125 on: April 22, 2024, 04:32:14 PM »

I'd have to find the tweets but I'm pretty sure Trump's lawyer was dinged multiple times by the judge for saying things he shouldn't/things that aren't true.

That’s their strategy. Their statements get stricken from the record, but the jurors can’t unhear them.

There are tools to stop this if they continue to do this every day. But certainly in isolation this strategy can sometimes be effective.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2126 on: April 22, 2024, 04:48:06 PM »

I'd have to find the tweets but I'm pretty sure Trump's lawyer was dinged multiple times by the judge for saying things he shouldn't/things that aren't true.

That’s their strategy. Their statements get stricken from the record, but the jurors can’t unhear them.
Also something that if done repeatedly can get an attorney held in contempt and facing disciplinary action up to disbarment for that matter. Also I'm not sure if this sort of thing would help Trump considering how unlikable he is to begin with.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2127 on: April 22, 2024, 06:05:59 PM »

They’re apparently holding a Sandoval hearing. If the judge rules they can’t bring in prior bad acts, will they basically have to exclude Trump’s entire life?

If you're still curious, Merchan's Sandoval rulings landed right in that sweet spot of only admitting prior bad acts that are wholly more probative than prejudicial as to directly scoping out Trump's credibility should he take the stand & testify:

Justice Merchan indicates he will recite his Sandoval rulings now. Remember, these determine the permissible boundaries of cross-ex if Trump decides to testify.

Merchan recites the standard of balancing information relevant to Trump's credibility and avoiding undue prejudice.

The judge notes he has a "wide range of discretion," under the law, to determine this balance.

Trump can be confronted by the ruling against him NYAG's civil fraud case, the judge rules.

This is IF he testifies.

Trump also can be confronted with findings of his gag order violations in his civil fraud case, if he testifies, the judge rules.

Trump also can be confronted with two federal juries' findings that he defamed E. Jean Carroll, if he testifies, the judge rules.

Trump also can be confronted with his agreement to dissolve the Trump Foundation, if he testifies, the judge rules.

(Notably, the judge appears to have excluded the sexual abuse finding in the E. Jean Carroll case.)

Context on the E. Jean Carroll rulings' nuance: Evidence about "prior bad acts" must balance relevance with undue prejudice to the accused. Trump isn't charged in this case with sexual assault, but falsifying business records. The judge allowed info that goes to his credibility.

This is why Merchan appeared to confine his green light to prosecutors on the Carroll verdicts to the defamation findings.

Just before the Sandoval rulings: Merchan affirmed his earlier ruling allowing prosecutors to show jurors a transcript of the "Access Hollywood" tape. Trump's lawyers fought to leave that out, after succeeding in preventing the admission of the actual footage.

Notably absent in Justice Merchan's Sandoval rulings:

* Trump's sanction for filing "frivolous" RICO suit against Clinton — a surprising omission, because he previously seemed inclined to admit it.

* The Trump Org's criminal prosecution

That said, the judge allowed prosecutors to confront Trump with a broad array of adjudicated prior bad acts from other court cases......Again, if Trump chooses to testify
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2128 on: April 22, 2024, 06:23:13 PM »

I am looking forward to getting daily transcripts. However, I still plan to follow updates from various X accounts & this thread to stay up to the minute!
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2129 on: April 22, 2024, 07:59:05 PM »

So Cohen paid Stormy $130,000 as a payoff from Trump. So Trump had to pay Cohen back for that. But because they wanted to disguise it as income, Trump actually paid him $260,000 so that after 50% cut for Fed + State taxes, Cohen would have his $130,000 back. If it was just reimbursement they don't have to plus it up for taxes because it wouldn't have to be reported as income. Moreover, Weisselberg wrote all of that down in the margin of a bank statement indicating those exact steps and rationale.  This is all alleged  by the prosecution in Opening Statements, to be clear. But we'll apparently see the bank statement. The defense took the same set of facts about the payments and said Trump is so cheap he would never pay double for something so it must be for something else. :shrug:
Yoda
United States

« Reply #2130 on: April 23, 2024, 01:03:31 AM »

I didn't even realize until like last week that trump and his defense lawyers are actually alleging that the whole Stormy Daniels story is a lie! That he never even had sex with her and the whole thing is made up. Lmao. Good luck explaining why you paid someone that amount of money for a completely fabricated story.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #2131 on: April 23, 2024, 02:01:53 AM »

Trump on Trial

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5yVU1YvaUi/
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2132 on: April 23, 2024, 06:27:03 AM »

It's a bit late in the game, but I don't understand what the poll question is. Is yes, that Trump will be convicted, and no that he will not be, or visa versa? That might be why the poll has relatively few replies.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2133 on: April 23, 2024, 06:42:02 AM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2134 on: April 23, 2024, 07:42:56 AM »

It's a bit late in the game, but I don't understand what the poll question is. Is yes, that Trump will be convicted, and no that he will not be, or visa versa? That might be why the poll has relatively few replies.

I don't remember what the poll question even was or when it got removed. It might have been do you think Trump will be convicted.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2135 on: April 23, 2024, 07:44:37 AM »

It’s telling that this was deemed the weakest case but the evidence and arguments the prosecution is bringing is pretty strong
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2136 on: April 23, 2024, 07:46:45 AM »

Waters is a clown, it's obviously not cruel and unusual punishment to make somebody sit in a courtoom during standard working hours while on trial after a grand jury indictment. Remember, Trump decided not to pursue his immunity appeal in this case. If he had, it's possible the trial would still be on hold while the courts were deciding if it was fair to prosecute an ex Pres for this.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2137 on: April 23, 2024, 08:00:01 AM »

Waters is a clown, it's obviously not cruel and unusual punishment to make somebody sit in a courtoom during standard working hours while on trial after a grand jury indictment. Remember, Trump decided not to pursue his immunity appeal in this case. If he had, it's possible the trial would still be on hold while the courts were deciding if it was fair to prosecute an ex Pres for this.

I also don't see how one can claim a person is physically and mentally fit to be President if they can't sit in a courtroom for their own trial.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2138 on: April 23, 2024, 08:00:31 AM »

I've been under the impression it was a joke. "Trump on Trial! Y/N?"
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2139 on: April 23, 2024, 08:02:44 AM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2140 on: April 23, 2024, 08:10:30 AM »

I've been under the impression it was a joke. "Trump on Trial! Y/N?"

What probably happened is that a poll thread was merged into this megathread.  This keeps the poll format, but because the messages are merged in chronological order, the actual poll question is buried somewhere in the middle of the thread.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2141 on: April 23, 2024, 08:17:39 AM »

Is it possible to remove the poll at this point since it is useless at best and tainted at worst? Or does the forum not allow that?

Anyway, I am looking forward to what happens at the hearing. I assume Trump gets fined like $7000 but hopefully the judge announces the next violation is a cell overnight!
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2142 on: April 23, 2024, 08:43:56 AM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2143 on: April 23, 2024, 08:49:56 AM »

Anyway, I am looking forward to what happens at the hearing.

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2144 on: April 23, 2024, 09:30:32 AM »

From that X thread above:

"Merchan is audibly and visibly irritated with Blanche now, as the judge says to him: "I'm asking the questions. I'm going to decide whether your client is in contempt or not...so please don't turn this around.""

"If you can't tell from my live tweets so far, this contempt hearing doesn't seem to be going well for the defense."

lol
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #2145 on: April 23, 2024, 09:38:56 AM »

Sure looks to me that Trump is going to be held in contempt. Shame the prosecution isn't seeking jail time, but maybe this will actually shut him up going forward.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2146 on: April 23, 2024, 09:42:29 AM »

Merchan is just eviscerating Blanche’s argument, he’s not buying it at all…
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2147 on: April 23, 2024, 09:54:33 AM »

I'm going to revise my earlier tweet calling the contempt hearing a "fender bender."

This is a trainwreck.

From the Tyler McBrien X thread above!
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2148 on: April 23, 2024, 10:11:13 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2024, 10:15:43 AM by brucejoel99 »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2149 on: April 23, 2024, 10:17:23 AM »

Is it possible to remove the poll at this point since it is useless at best and tainted at worst? Or does the forum not allow that?

I don't think so, but you'd need to ask Virginia to get a definitive answer.  If it can be done, she's probably the only one who could do it.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 91 ... 172  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies