NY: Trump on Trial!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 06:58:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NY: Trump on Trial!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 ... 112
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: NY: Trump on Trial!  (Read 78477 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2075 on: April 20, 2024, 12:04:24 PM »

Re: Juror 2

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2076 on: April 20, 2024, 12:22:07 PM »

From the way he worded it, I wonder if he meant he follows the X account that just regurgitates everything Trump posts on TS so you can see it all without going to TS.

In any case, he seems to be a mixed bag at worst. Might also be the closest to one of Trump's "peers" which is a good thing in that Trump is entitled to a jury representative of Manhattan.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2077 on: April 20, 2024, 01:41:28 PM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2078 on: April 20, 2024, 01:50:49 PM »

Aww, poor Donny.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2079 on: April 20, 2024, 01:52:21 PM »

That's what Maggie gets for being his most loyal stenographer a decade now.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2080 on: April 20, 2024, 10:03:33 PM »

Michael Avenatti says he’s talking to Trump’s legal team — and would testify for the ex-prez

Disgraced Stormy Daniels’ attorney Michael Avenatti has been in contact with former President Trump’s legal defense team and is ready and willing to testify against his former client, he told The Post in an interview from jail.

“The defense has contacted me,” Avenatti told The Post in a phone call from Terminal Island, a minimum-security federal prison in Los Angeles where he is currently serving a 19-year sentence for extortion, tax evasion, fraud, embezzlement and other federal crimes.

“I’d be more than happy to testify, I don’t know that I will be called to testify, but I have been in touch with Trump’s defense for the better part of year,” Avenatti said.

While Avenatti made his name as one of Trump’s most ferocious critics — and even publicly called for Trump’s indictment in 2018 — the defense attorney sang a different tune from the clink.

https://nypost.com/2024/04/20/us-news/michael-avenatti-says-hes-in-conversations-with-trump-legal-team/
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2081 on: April 21, 2024, 02:12:22 AM »

Michael Avenatti says he’s talking to Trump’s legal team — and would testify for the ex-prez

Disgraced Stormy Daniels’ attorney Michael Avenatti has been in contact with former President Trump’s legal defense team and is ready and willing to testify against his former client, he told The Post in an interview from jail.

“The defense has contacted me,” Avenatti told The Post in a phone call from Terminal Island, a minimum-security federal prison in Los Angeles where he is currently serving a 19-year sentence for extortion, tax evasion, fraud, embezzlement and other federal crimes.

“I’d be more than happy to testify, I don’t know that I will be called to testify, but I have been in touch with Trump’s defense for the better part of year,” Avenatti said.

While Avenatti made his name as one of Trump’s most ferocious critics — and even publicly called for Trump’s indictment in 2018 — the defense attorney sang a different tune from the clink.

https://nypost.com/2024/04/20/us-news/michael-avenatti-says-hes-in-conversations-with-trump-legal-team/

That would appear to cut against their planned strategy of attacking Cohen's credibility.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2082 on: April 21, 2024, 02:24:10 AM »

That would appear to cut against their planned strategy of attacking Cohen's credibility.

Avenatti seems like a double agent, but for whom?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2083 on: April 21, 2024, 07:20:26 AM »

Hmmm...maybe criminals are more sympathetic to Trump.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2084 on: April 21, 2024, 09:37:00 AM »

Avenatti seems like a double agent, but for whom?

He’s just hoping for a pardon in case Trump wins in November.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2085 on: April 21, 2024, 11:25:52 AM »
« Edited: April 21, 2024, 11:50:11 AM by brucejoel99 »

Prosecution agreed to give defense the name of the first witness, for attorneys' eyes only, and if gets out ahead of time they won't extend the courtesy again.

NYT scoop: "David Pecker...is set to go first" as prosecution witness: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/21/nyregion/trump-trial-hush-money-evidence.html Pecker could be key witness - in ways more devastating than Michael Cohen. This also indicates DA is foregrounding unlawful election influence for jurors. hat tip: @AWeissmann_

As this Timeline shows, Pecker's testimony should be strong proof of core allegation that the hush money scheme was geared toward influencing the outcome of the presidential election: https://www.justsecurity.org/85761/timeline-trump-hush-money-trial/

Pecker was principal at August 2015 Trump Tower meeting with Trump and Michael Cohen setting up catch-and-kill election operation. Great WSJ reporting: https://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-played-central-role-in-hush-payoffs-to-stormy-daniels-and-karen-mcdougal-1541786601 "What can you do to help my campaign? he asked, according to people familiar with the meeting."

Here's the passage from the NY Indictment indicating the evidence the DA - including through Pecker's own testimony - can present re the August 2015 Trump Tower meeting, which set the whole scheme in motion: https://manhattanda.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/2023-04-04-SOF.pdf

Here's the "Statement of Admitted Facts" in David Pecker's AMI Company's Non-Prosecution Agreement (with the feds): https://www.justsecurity.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/just-security-clearinghouse-american_media_inc_ami_non-prosecution_agreement-1.pdf They admit to key facts that are now a part of the Trump criminal prosecution.

Pecker will also likely testify about his involvement in flurry of phone calls, day after the Access Hollywood tape broke, to buy-and-bury Stormy Daniels' story. Note the call logs. (including reporting from great book, The Fixers by @joe_palazzolo @mrothfeld)

Pecker also likely to testify about his conversations directly with Trump and Cohen in December 2016 -  on the arrangement for Trump to reimburse Cohen for the hush money payment to Daniels.

David Pecker's likely dynamite evidence of nexus between hush money scheme and effort to influence election includes: "In the summer of 2017, the Defendant invited the AMI CEO to the White House for a dinner to thank him for his help during the campaign." (DA indictment doc)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2086 on: April 21, 2024, 01:51:17 PM »

Prosecution agreed to give defense the name of the first witness, for attorneys' eyes only, and if gets out ahead of time they won't extend the courtesy again.

https://twitter.com/maggienyt/status/1782060671246430340
https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1782070223190815115

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2087 on: April 21, 2024, 02:00:04 PM »

Is his post before or after the nytimes story broke?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2088 on: April 21, 2024, 02:05:51 PM »

Is his post before or after the nytimes story broke?

After, the story had broken before 11am & he posted that at 1:13pm.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2089 on: April 21, 2024, 02:09:07 PM »

Remember when in 2018 this guy was talked as potential Democratic nominee in 2020?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2090 on: April 21, 2024, 03:54:25 PM »

My dad thinks Trump won't be acquitted.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #2091 on: April 21, 2024, 03:58:22 PM »

My dad thinks Trump won't be acquitted.

Huge difference between won’t be acquitted and will be convicted though.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2092 on: April 21, 2024, 06:20:31 PM »

Yep, he thinks it could hang.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2093 on: April 21, 2024, 06:31:05 PM »

That might not be as bad as an acquittal, but still an awful development.

Is your dad a legal professional?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2094 on: April 21, 2024, 07:05:17 PM »

Agreed, I'd like him to be convicted, short of some game changing evidence the defense has.

And nope, just an anecdote, lol.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2095 on: April 21, 2024, 07:10:14 PM »

At the very least, this is making it harder for him to successfully fight his other three (so far) legal defences.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #2096 on: April 21, 2024, 07:35:03 PM »

I think we should just see how the trial goes before making any assumptions as to what the jury will do.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2097 on: April 21, 2024, 07:59:51 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2024, 08:03:51 PM by brucejoel99 »

I'll be watching three legal stories unfold Monday: the real opening of the Manhattan DA's trial; the hearing on whether to cancel Trump's $175 million bond; & the public filing of witness statements in the MAL docs case.

But the thing I keep thinking about is who the first witness will be. And if I'm telling this story chronologically, the person I'd call first is this guy on the right, former American Media chairman David Pecker.

According to the Manhattan DA's statement of facts accompanying the indictment, the story begins with Trump's infamous ride down the elevator in June 2015, when he declared his candidacy for president.

But "soon after," in August 2015, Trump and Cohen met with Pecker, who offered to serve as the campaign's "eyes and ears" to help Trump—and hurt his rivals—through the National Enquirer's coverage.

That American Media made good on its promises is important, especially since it admitted to certain conduct through a non-prosecution agreement with DOJ in 2018 and this "conciliation agreement" with the Federal Election Commission in 2021.

But even more significant? Pecker can testify that Trump not only understood but heartily endorsed his publication's offer to "catch and kill" negative stories about him, especially as they pertained to Trump's alleged extramarital affairs.

And given how few people outside Michael Cohen directly communicated with Trump about the scheme at issue, Pecker's testimony could be critical in establishing Trump's intent and knowledge. FIN.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2098 on: April 21, 2024, 10:31:21 PM »

I think we should just see how the trial goes before making any assumptions as to what the jury will do.

Fair enough. We do need to see how both the defense and prosecution go about their cases.

I will say, I think Trump is doing himself a disservice by being so confrontational and judgmental of the jury. If they were unbiased about him before...somehow, he certainly isn't making himself more sympathetic.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2099 on: April 21, 2024, 10:55:36 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 ... 112  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies