Scandal in the Wind 2023. George Santos gets Sashayed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:42:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Scandal in the Wind 2023. George Santos gets Sashayed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 37
Author Topic: Scandal in the Wind 2023. George Santos gets Sashayed  (Read 38814 times)
Spectator
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: December 22, 2022, 04:27:11 PM »

This guy is going to prison. Only a matter of time when.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #126 on: December 22, 2022, 05:33:26 PM »

What sort of horrible opposition research did the dems do with this guy?

NY Dems really botched this whole election, not just with this seat
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #127 on: December 22, 2022, 06:14:24 PM »

Well the good news is that if he’s a Florida resident as alleged then they will almost certainly have an opportunity to win this seat back in a special election. Everything else reported on thus far is constitutionally ok, but lying about state residency is an enormous no-no.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #128 on: December 22, 2022, 06:16:14 PM »

Well the good news is that if he’s a Florida resident as alleged then they will almost certainly have an opportunity to win this seat back in a special election. Everything else reported on thus far is constitutionally ok, but lying about state residency is an enormous no-no.
It would not surprise me if he did feel like he could get away with lying about his state residency. After all, he got away with lying about everything else...
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #129 on: December 22, 2022, 06:22:02 PM »

kwabbit

« Reply #130 on: December 22, 2022, 06:31:21 PM »

Cracking down on a state residency requirement violation would open up a can of worms. A huge amount of congressmembers are really residents of DC and not their home states. Santos may live in Florida but if he's registered to vote in NY that's about as much half of congress.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #131 on: December 22, 2022, 07:37:05 PM »

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #132 on: December 22, 2022, 07:53:40 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2022, 04:55:16 PM by Dr Oz Lost Party! »

So, apparently Zimmerman did uncover a lot of this and tried to hit Santos with it, but the media refused to pick it up because they were more interested in puffing up a fictionalized crime wave *shrugs*.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #133 on: December 22, 2022, 08:11:55 PM »

Cracking down on a state residency requirement violation would open up a can of worms. A huge amount of congressmembers are really residents of DC and not their home states. Santos may live in Florida but if he's registered to vote in NY that's about as much half of congress.

I mean the NY Assembly is planning to refuse to seat and call a special election for said seat come the new year cause the victorious republican resided in Manhattan pre-election, not Brooklyn.  But that's based on state law and codes, which may apply only to her legislature,  not congress.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2022, 08:51:38 PM »

How many states have congressional residency requirements as rigorous as New York’s, though?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2022, 09:38:57 PM »

Sure, but the article quotes him saying this as recently as October:

I am openly gay, have never had an issue with my sexual identity in the past decade.

Which would certainly seem to suggest that he came out a long time ago, and makes this marriage seem pretty mysterious, considering he's never once mentioned it.
It's especially suspicious because his divorce with this woman was finalized just 12 days before Santos filed the paperwork for his first run for Congress on October 2, 2019. I get you can be married while in the closet, but that timing is awfully suspect.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #136 on: December 22, 2022, 09:43:50 PM »

okay so what do we actually know about this guy

Honestly nothing. I’m not even 100% sure his real name is George Santos.
"George Santos, whose middle name is Anthony, sometimes uses Devolder, his late mother’s maiden name. He incorporated it into his campaign—“Devolder Santos for Congress”—as well as his own supposed financial services company, the Devolder Organization."
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2022, 09:48:47 PM »

The good news for Democrats is that DCCC chair Sean Maloney lost.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #138 on: December 22, 2022, 11:00:51 PM »

The difference here is they usually at least own a primary residence, where they are legally registered to vote. They can legally claim residency. If santos neither owns property nor lives in NYS, he has no claim to residency there. It is different. It’s unconstitutional. I dk if our current Supreme Court will do the Republican Party like that but it’s pretty clear that members of congress must live in the state they represent.
Mr. Matt
United States

« Reply #139 on: December 23, 2022, 06:38:46 AM »

Anyone check the videotapes of the insurrection? He previously said that he did not go to the Capitol, but at this point that was probably a lie too.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #140 on: December 23, 2022, 08:59:30 AM »

I’ll be very interested in seeing if his wife’s story comes out. There’s a nonzero chance they’re still together and only divorced to keep up the appearance of being gay...

It wouldn't surprise me if he married a woman so she could gain legal immigration status. Also would be literally the one thing he could have done that would make House R's turn on him. Even republicans, who have no shame and their own hermetically sealed media echo chamber, could possibly get away with all of their anti-immigration rhetoric while a fraud who abused the immigration system was in their own caucus.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #141 on: December 23, 2022, 10:27:25 AM »

The difference here is they usually at least own a primary residence, where they are legally registered to vote. They can legally claim residency. If santos neither owns property nor lives in NYS, he has no claim to residency there. It is different. It’s unconstitutional. I dk if our current Supreme Court will do the Republican Party like that but it’s pretty clear that members of congress must live in the state they represent.

The times reported this morning he maintains a residence in “Huntington”, presumably a queens neighborhood or Nassau county city. At any rate, that seals the deal that George Santos will be a member of the 118th Congress. He can continue to serve after indictment correct?
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #142 on: December 23, 2022, 10:38:54 AM »

Dave just DRAGGING George

Yoda
United States

« Reply #143 on: December 23, 2022, 11:15:25 AM »

Who's currently the longest serving House member? I know among women it's Kaptur('82), is there a man who's been around longer?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #144 on: December 23, 2022, 11:27:40 AM »
« Edited: December 23, 2022, 11:38:41 PM by Roll Roons »

Who's currently the longest serving House member? I know among women it's Kaptur('82), is there a man who's been around longer?

Hal Rogers and Chris Smith are tied for longest serving (both elected in 1980), although Rogers is more senior because his name is first alphabetically.

Steny Hoyer is more junior than Rogers and Smith because he got elected in a 1981 special, but he's more senior than Kaptur.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #145 on: December 23, 2022, 01:42:13 PM »

Apparently they uncovered this at the time, but focused more on the MAGA/Jan 6 stuff.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #146 on: December 23, 2022, 07:17:06 PM »

So, apparently Zimmerman did uncover a lot of this and tried to hit Santos with it, but the media refused to pick it up because they were more interested in puffing up a fictionalized crime wave *shrugs*.

Democratic turnout was so bad in New York this year that I don't even know if it would have mattered. This seems like the sort of thing that's a bigger deal now that he is actually elected and during a slower time for the news cycle.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #147 on: December 23, 2022, 11:08:30 PM »

Apparently they uncovered this at the time, but focused more on the MAGA/Jan 6 stuff.

I'm getting the sense that it wasn't so much that democrats didn't blow the whistle on all of this fraud, but that the NY media was 100% locked in to their "crime! crime! crime!" narrative and they were not going to change that no matter what was brought to their attention. Enormous media fail once again.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #148 on: December 24, 2022, 11:15:57 AM »

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet, but the alleged stock broker George Santos has been through atleast 2 evictions. And he advocated for landowners to be able to evict during the pandemic.

This guy is genuinely the worst scum elected in recent memory
You don't see any blue avatars now
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #149 on: December 24, 2022, 11:39:35 AM »

I'm late, but I must point out this quote from Grace and Frankie:
Quote from: Robert Hanson, The Burglary (2017)
You inned me. [...] As in reverse outed. You told all my gay friends I used to be straight.
Of course, in this case, "all my gay friends" are "the people who elected me", but whatever.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies