Scandal in the Wind 2023. George Santos gets Sashayed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 07:10:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Scandal in the Wind 2023. George Santos gets Sashayed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 37
Author Topic: Scandal in the Wind 2023. George Santos gets Sashayed  (Read 38793 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2022, 09:17:45 PM »

Does someone have NY-03's numbers in Hochul-Zeldin?

I'd love to see their #s in all of the competitive districts tbh

Ben Rosenblatt on Twitter. More or less matched Zeldin.

Also that doesn't appear to be a real Churchill Quote. One some level I wouldn't be surprised if this is a pathological liar.

A Biden +8, Zeldin +14 seat. Woof. Dems really fell through the floor in Long Island.

EDIT: Apparently this is only the Nassau County part of the seat. The district does contain a small bit of Queens so it probably isn't QUITE this bad.

The vast majority of this seat's population lives in Nassau. The Queens portion is definitely bluer than the Nassau portion but it's probably still something like Zeldin +12 overall.

Zeldin outperformed Trump by 17 statewide, so outperforming by 20 or 22 in this district wouldn't be that shocking, considering he had an advantage in Long Island.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2022, 10:18:50 PM »

Why would Santos resign?  …  The Republican playbook is just keep doubling and tripling down, never apologize, whine about liberal media lies, and carry on like nothing happened.

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2022, 10:43:50 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2022, 02:26:26 AM by Storr »

The fact this guy conned his way to a congressional seat is pretty fascinating, to be honest. It would make a good movie in the mold of Catch Me If You Can. Based on this blurb from a Rolling Stone article, it might even have a tinge of espionage:

"While Santos’ personal finances remain somewhat of a mystery, his campaign finances have been slightly more transparent, as required by federal law. In November The Daily Beast identified $32,800 poured into Santos’ campaign by the cousin of Russian oligarch Viktor Vekselberg, who maintains close ties to Russian President Vladimir Putin. Santos’ campaign was unsurprisingly closely aligned with the Kremlin’s viewpoint on the invasion of Ukraine. In an interview with The Washington Post Santos called Ukraine “a totalitarian regime,”"
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2022, 01:06:24 AM »

Why would Santos lie about being gay? Working in the financial sector, thinking abortion is slavery, and the rest of the nonsense is actually appealing to GOP voters. Being gay is not.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2022, 01:07:45 AM »

Why would Santos lie about being gay? Working in the financial sector, thinking abortion is slavery, and the rest of the nonsense is actually appealing to GOP voters. Being gay is not.
being a token gay.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2022, 01:09:10 AM »

The only part of Santos' bio I am willing to believe without further evidence is that he was born in Queens to Brazilian-American parents and that his mother had died.
The man is clearly a serial liar.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2022, 03:55:53 AM »

Do we actually know if he’s gay? One would wonder why someone would lie about that, but the same is true for a lot of this other stuff. He’s gotten some attention for being the first Republican to be elected while out, maybe it was to make him stand out.

Unless he's a really good actor, the dude is gay.

Yeah he’s probably gay, but the dude successfully lied about every aspect of his life while an organization with millions in resources campaigned against him. He has some skills.

Where did he even come from in the first place? Could I become a GOP nominee for a house seat in a safe D district if I wanted to? Santos was running in a swing seat, how did someone with no actual credentials become the nominee.

If I had run in my Safe R seat this year, I have no doubt I could have been the Democratic nominee, considering the actual nominee was a lunatic perennial candidate tankie who attacked Ukraine and supported Russia and who once accosted me on Facebook for saying I voted for Hillary Clinton. And I don't think I would have had to fake anything about my life to beat him either. It might be easier than many expect to become a Congressional candidate in some districts.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2022, 05:15:08 AM »

Do we actually know if he’s gay? One would wonder why someone would lie about that, but the same is true for a lot of this other stuff. He’s gotten some attention for being the first Republican to be elected while out, maybe it was to make him stand out.

Yeah he’s probably gay, but the dude successfully lied about every aspect of his life while an organization with millions in resources campaigned against him. He has some skills.

Where did he even come from in the first place? Could I become a GOP nominee for a house seat in a safe D district if I wanted to? Santos was running in a swing seat, how did someone with no actual credentials become the nominee.

If I had run in my Safe R seat this year, I have no doubt I could have been the Democratic nominee, considering the actual nominee was a lunatic perennial candidate tankie who attacked Ukraine and supported Russia and who once accosted me on Facebook for saying I voted for Hillary Clinton. And I don't think I would have had to fake anything about my life to beat him either. It might be easier than many expect to become a Congressional candidate in some districts.
I essentially *was* the Democratic nominee for SC-3.
kwabbit

« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2022, 08:58:01 AM »

Time to challenge Andy Beshear as well and see if you can beat Geoff Young. Maybe he had some name rec as a local crackpot.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2022, 05:05:22 PM »

So to summarize:

- No record he ever worked at Citigroup or Goldman Sachs
- His “charity” is not registered as tax-exempt by the IRS
- No record of him attending the college he claimed to graduate from
- No clients for his “firm” exist
- No records of the properties he claimed to own existing
- Omitted key personal financial disclosures during campaign
- Charged criminally for check fraud in Brazil
- Lied about losing four employees at the Pulse nightclub shooting
- Evicted multiple times
- Bounced between several failed business ventures over two years
- A person at the address where he is registered to vote said she is not familiar with him

Could you imagine if a democrat did this? Fox news hosts would be foaming at the mouth for months. As it's a republican, it will barely merit a mention.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2022, 05:34:26 PM »

Yeah, I think this is true.

I'm currently living in NOVA; the GOP candidate in my Safe D was just a random woman. It doesn't take much effort in safe districts to become opposing party nominees.

But clearly both parties in NY-03 treated this race as Likely D race which was a hilarious miscalculation on especially the Dem's part.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2022, 09:50:24 AM »
« Edited: December 21, 2022, 10:06:35 AM by Torie »

Why would Santos resign?  …  The Republican playbook is just keep doubling and tripling down, never apologize, whine about liberal media lies, and carry on like nothing happened.

The you have enemies quote used to defend the fake "fairy" by the presumably real lawyer (citation needed), is also fake. It is also interesting to find out that out that a long shot candidate can get about 25K from Putin via a conduit by becoming his butt boy as it were. The press really did drop the ball on this guy didn't they?

PS: The author of the fake Churchill quote is indeed a lawyer - a warrior against woke criminal defense lawyer whose bio is almost as colorful as his client's. https://jmurray-law.com/ Yes, Santos picked the right specialty (criminal rather than defamation), even if not necessarily the right lawyer (with his Guiliani-like vibe).

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2022, 12:55:46 PM »

...in what possible universe was 'Devolder' ever a plausible name for a supposedly Ukrainian Jewish family? That ought to have been flagged up immediately.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2022, 01:04:11 PM »

Oh my god.

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2022, 01:49:54 PM »

I'm guessing that next we will find out he is not even a person, but an AI robot programmed by liars.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2022, 01:58:26 PM »

I'm guessing that next we will find out he is not even a person, but an AI robot programmed by liars.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2022, 01:59:34 PM »

Most ethical 2022 R freshman
cvparty
United States

« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2022, 03:14:31 PM »

okay so what do we actually know about this guy
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2022, 03:20:29 PM »

Honestly nothing. I’m not even 100% sure his real name is George Santos.
kyc0705

« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2022, 03:26:11 PM »
« Edited: December 29, 2022, 01:43:23 PM by kyc0705 »

As of midday on December 29:

Things we know about George Santos:
- His parents emigrated from Brazil.
- He was arrested for check fraud in Brazil in 2008.
- He was evicted from two apartments in Queens in the 2010s.
- He was a customer service representative for Dish in the early 2010s.
- He was married to a woman from 2012 until their divorce in 2019.
- He seems to live near his district, but this is not where he is registered to vote.
- This is his second run for Congress.

Things we don't know about George Santos:
- Where the money he used to self-fund his Congressional campaigns came from.
- Where any of his money came from, for that matter.
- Whether he's actually married to the man he says he's married to, because no record appears to exist of said marriage.

Things that George Santos said that we now know are false:
- That his grandparents were Jewish refugees from Ukraine.
- That his mother was a financial executive who was working in one of the Twin Towers on 9/11, and died from a related health problem a few years later (she died in 2016, a full 15 years after the attacks. It's also extremely questionable if she ever worked in finance at all).
- That he attended Horace Mann School, an elite prep school in the Bronx.
- That he has a bachelor's degree from Baruch College.
- That he has a master's degree from NYU.
- That he worked as an investment banker for Citigroup and Goldman Sachs.
- That four of his co-workers died in the Pulse nightclub shooting in 2016.
- That he ran a family-owned financial services firm (the company that he names in his biography appears to uncannily have existed only during his congressional campaigns, and has no other proven assets besides the money that went to his campaigns).
- That he ran a charity for pets (it was never registered as a charity and appears to have done nothing but collect money until it quietly vanished).
- That he is a landlord who owns 13 properties in his district.

EDIT: There's always more. I also used to say we know some basic biographical facts but that all looks self-reported and so I won't assume.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2022, 03:44:29 PM »

As of mid-afternoon Eastern Time on December 21:

- He was born in New York in 1988.

- Where he actually lives, because it's not where he's registered to vote.

- That his mother was in one of the Twin Towers on 9/11 and narrowly survived, and died from related health problems shortly thereafter.
- That he ran a family-owned financial services firm.
- That he is a landlord who owns 13 buildings in his district.

Oh f**k him and the air he breathes. You should *not* lie about being in a national tragedy and get away with it. Through this waste of space away
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2022, 07:04:57 PM »

Typical post-Trump GOP shamelessness. F*** this guy!

I guess one thing we do know about him is that he is now probably the worst freshman GOP congressman.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2022, 03:41:01 AM »

As of mid-afternoon Eastern Time on December 21:

- He was born in New York in 1988.

- Where he actually lives, because it's not where he's registered to vote.

- That his mother was in one of the Twin Towers on 9/11 and narrowly survived, and died from related health problems shortly thereafter.
- That he ran a family-owned financial services firm.
- That he is a landlord who owns 13 buildings in his district.

Oh f**k him and the air he breathes. You should *not* lie about being in a national tragedy and get away with it. Through this waste of space away

Also lied that his grandparents escaped the holocaust.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2022, 05:36:17 AM »

Weirdly this does actually conform to the gay Republican stereotype of being a contrary, self serving, attention seeking grifter.
philly09

« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2022, 07:15:43 AM »

Aaaaaaannnnnnd, he was previously married to a woman.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/openly-gay-rep-elect-george-santos-didnt-disclose-divorce-with-woman
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies