Conservative Party (UK) leadership election, 2022, Take Two
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 09:31:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Conservative Party (UK) leadership election, 2022, Take Two
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24
Author Topic: Conservative Party (UK) leadership election, 2022, Take Two  (Read 24470 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2022, 03:06:45 PM »

Ruh-roh:

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2022, 03:13:27 PM »

Idiot or not, Boris at least had an electoral floor of support, so he would lose with dignity to Labour. But if I was in Boris's shoes I wouldn't want 1 more year of the poisoned Chalice, I would want LotO of a Party that is willing to be molded into a vehicle that wouldn't challenge you personally. That however would require waiting a bit and running away from London to some shire seat, so who knows.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2022, 03:14:30 PM »

It's insane that Boris dead-enders are really pushing for him now. Insane that there's no effort from everyone to actually hold the ship together with a candidate every side can live with.

They won't be assured of jobs in a Mordaunt government, so an early push for Boris is simply self-preservation. This is why they backed Truss in the previous leadership election.

Boris faction and their media allies have moved very quickly and made the narrative about him. That's already a victory.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2022, 03:17:19 PM »

It's insane that Boris dead-enders are really pushing for him now. Insane that there's no effort from everyone to actually hold the ship together with a candidate every side can live with.

They won't be assured of jobs in a Mordaunt government, so an early push for Boris is simply self-preservation. This is why they backed Truss in the previous leadership election.

No one will be assured of jobs if the Tory brand is destroyed for a generation by an unending succession of patently unfit leaders.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2022, 03:25:34 PM »

No one will be assured of jobs if the Tory brand is destroyed for a generation by an unending succession of patently unfit leaders.

You and I may think that, but Boris deadenders will believe he's a miracle campaigner who can pull it out in 2024. And taking the risk is certainly better for their careers than submitting to losing the spoils to a "unity candidate" like Mordaunt.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2022, 03:30:30 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2022, 03:37:43 PM by NUPES Enjoyer »

You and I may think that, but Boris deadenders will believe he's a miracle campaigner who can pull it out in 2024. And taking the risk is certainly better for their careers than submitting to losing the spoils to a "unity candidate" like Mordaunt.

Hence my point about insanity.

Also like. A unity cabinet would by definition have to also include people from the Boris wing of the party. Obviously they won't be able to run the show anymore, but if cushy jobs is all they're after, I think former BoJo types who "took one for the team" would be highly sought after to fill cabinet positions.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2022, 03:55:41 PM »

First cabinet endorsement....

....JRM for Boris. A real surprise.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2022, 04:03:02 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2022, 04:21:49 PM by H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY »

According to my brief research, no Prime Minister has ever served in separate governments (or whatever the British call non-consecutive terms) under different monarchs. Of the nine who have served under multiple monarchs, all of them did so due to the death (or, for Stanley Baldwin, abdication) of the reigning monarch during their government.

(That is to say, no one has ever become Prime Minister under two different monarchs.)

EDIT: fun fact ruined, Robert Peel served about five months under William IV and then under Victoria.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2022, 04:03:54 PM »

So I guess even if BoJo reaches 100 votes, Sunak would still beat him handily in a runoff among MPs?
I think that’s the prelude to one of the peak-chaos options:
> Sunak and Johnson advance to the run-off
> Sunak handily wins the indicative vote, with the support of most MPs.
> Party members ignore this, and cheerily hand the leadership back to Boris.

If that happens, expect a fresh round of party disunity. Several MPs are threatening to leave the party if this happens, so don’t be surprised if things stay absolutely febrile.

If they really were stupid enough to bring Mr Blobby back, there would almost certainly be some sort of split in the party. Most likely a splinter group rather than a full-blown split, but even that would be about the last thing they need right now. The other issue is that Johnson is still under investigation by a Commons committee that has the power to suspend him and if it does so for more than ten days he will face a recall petition in his constituency.

Quite possible that he would have difficulty cobbling together any sort of reliable Commons majority. At this stage he’s essentially the Conservative Party’s Charles Haughey (albeit one shorn of most of Haughey’s attributes). Looking forward to the leadership vote seeing a former cabinet minister wrestled to the ground by hecklers only for them to be driven off by a friend of said minister wielding a sword.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2022, 04:06:26 PM »

According to my brief research, no Prime Minister has ever served in separate governments (or whatever the British call non-consecutive terms) under different monarchs.

And in a single Parliament, no less.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2022, 04:10:49 PM »

According to my brief research, no Prime Minister has ever served in separate governments (or whatever the British call non-consecutive terms) under different monarchs.

And in a single Parliament, no less.

And in less than two months. It truly is serendipitous (as pointed out by the thread in IGD) that the longest-reigning monarch briefly overlapped with the shortest-serving PM.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2022, 04:26:21 PM »

If Boris is the leader again I can imagine that they’ll still get hammered at the polls. I wouldn’t be surprised if they end up will less than 100 seats
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2022, 04:37:09 PM »

Dream scenario is Boris becomes leader, flood of MPs leave the party, vote no confidence in government, we all get a Labour gov for Christmas
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2022, 04:47:29 PM »

Dream scenario is Boris becomes leader, flood of MPs leave the party, vote no confidence in government, we all get a Labour gov for Christmas

Better yet, watch BoJo the Madman call an election himself in his leadership victory speech, no VoNC necessary.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2022, 04:50:18 PM »

Absolute scenes if this is true. “Rishi, I whipped my cabinet to support the most incompetent PM in UK history, but you have to join my unity ticket and become part of my doomed cabinet. Pretty please.”
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2022, 04:56:12 PM »

Absolute scenes if this is true. “Rishi, I whipped my cabinet to support the most incompetent PM in UK history, but you have to join my unity ticket and become part of my doomed cabinet. Pretty please.”

2024?Huh God the UK needs some electoral reform along the lines of “if a PM resigns/dies there needs to be an election”. I can’t imagine the public accepting no election for 2 more years after this mess
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2022, 05:00:07 PM »

While Boris won in 2019, he now polls worse with the public than Rishi. Rishi can justifiably tell him to f**k off and that he's the best one to make 2024 a respectable defeat.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2022, 05:15:44 PM »

It might have been too soon for Mordaunt, she's still unknown and Rishi has a much bigger profile, plus the term was so short that she doesn't get any benefit from being in cabinet-she's just one of the idiots who signed off on a disaster. I have thought she has more upside than Rishi, because she's more of a fresh start. However, Rishi is the safest choice, and I expect even now that he can keep Starmer to a minority government.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2022, 06:00:17 PM »

Idiot or not, Boris at least had an electoral floor of support...

Doesn't have a time machine though, does he. Serious further structural damage has been done to the Conservative Party brand over the past few months that can't be easily undone. People have been hurt materially and know that other forms of pain as a result are looming.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2022, 06:02:19 PM »

I won't pretend to understand the parliamentary Conservative Party, but briefings like that are not exactly a sign of confidence.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2022, 06:07:02 PM »

However, Rishi is the safest choice, and I expect even now that he can keep Starmer to a minority government.

Politics is a strange affair and all sorts of unpredictable things can occur, but whoever wins will have only two choices, in practice. They can continue with the policies that Hunt is pushing as Chancellor, policies that will be very unpopular, or they can risk the wrath of the markets, which will have consequences that will also be very unpopular. Alternative options would entail pursuing policies that a Conservative government would not presently contemplate and are thus not options.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2022, 06:07:06 PM »

Idiot or not, Boris at least had an electoral floor of support, so he would lose with dignity to Labour. But if I was in Boris's shoes I wouldn't want 1 more year of the poisoned Chalice, I would want LotO of a Party that is willing to be molded into a vehicle that wouldn't challenge you personally. That however would require waiting a bit and running away from London to some shire seat, so who knows.

Not really, he was unpopular with even a majority of 2019 Conservative voters. While by-elections are not general elections, he was a vote loser in two very safe Conservative seats, as well as in the Red Wall. They should just fix the mistake they made and elect Rishi, who is unpopular but not toxically unpopular. Give him a few months to calm the economy and get through winter, and then think about a general election.
adma
« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2022, 06:23:40 PM »

In the now-aborted event of a Truss-led Tory electoral massacre, food for thought: her SW Norfolk constituency went Tory by only a little over 4 points in the Blair bloodbath of '97  so it's safe to imagine her endangered now...
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2022, 06:31:27 PM »

In the now-aborted event of a Truss-led Tory electoral massacre, food for thought: her SW Norfolk constituency went Tory by only a little over 4 points in the Blair bloodbath of '97  so it's safe to imagine her endangered now...

That would have really solidified the Canada 1993 parallels.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2022, 06:31:32 PM »

The Iceni shall rule over East Anglia once more, inshallah
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies