UK General Discussion: Rishecession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 04:02:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 192 193 194 [195] 196 197 198 199 200 ... 234
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 254710 times)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4850 on: November 15, 2023, 07:41:50 AM »

Marcus Fysh MP planning to introduce legislation to override existing human rights law and treaty obligations to push the Rwanda plan through. Co-sponsored by a swathe of Tory and DUP MPs, including some on the government payroll:

There’s also this:

Also tonight - the SNP and Labour have differently worded amendments to the Kings Speech calling for a ceasefire or humanitarian pause, respectively. Starmer expected to whip abstention on the SNP motion, and fire any frontbencher who votes for it.

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4851 on: November 15, 2023, 07:55:47 AM »

Fysh amendment is actually an old one apparently, though doubtless something new is in the works.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #4852 on: November 15, 2023, 10:22:44 AM »

Fysh amendment is actually an old one apparently, though doubtless something new is in the works.

The death throes of this government have the potential to be quite dangerous.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4853 on: November 15, 2023, 10:35:43 AM »

Sorry - it was a cryptic enough tweet that it got picked up by several members of the lobby - should have done more due diligence on that one.

The conversion therapy amendment also hasn’t been picked up for tonight. Announced in the last hour. No idea why the government threatened to withdraw the whip for an amendment that wasn’t confirmed as getting a vote. Feels needlessly inflammatory.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #4854 on: November 15, 2023, 12:15:38 PM »

Completely random question, but why do some MPs get called Mr and others just get their name?
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #4855 on: November 15, 2023, 12:15:45 PM »

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/youngest-peer-charlotte-owen-30-31439966

Has Starmer made a commitment to stop this kind of thing? Oh of course not he's an Oxbridge mafia coward who loves the Gentleman's Club culture of Inner city London.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4856 on: November 15, 2023, 12:16:26 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2023, 12:40:52 PM by Torrain »

This is going to be bogged down in the Lords and courts for so long, that there's little chance it's done by the time of the election, surely? All he'll do is weaken our reputation and soft power abroad by trying to trash our treaty commitments - including the UN Conventions on refugees and torture.

And for what? So five less headbangers submit letters of no confidence in him?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4857 on: November 15, 2023, 12:22:09 PM »

He spent one day of his premiership acting like the adult in the room, and he's spent the rest of it turning that into a punchline.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4858 on: November 15, 2023, 12:28:17 PM »

Completely random question, but why do some MPs get called Mr and others just get their name?

After swearing in, MPs sign a document with their preferred title, ie - some just want first name-last name, others want Mr/Mrs in front of their name. Some trumpet their PhD, others don’t.

See this from the swearing-in page on Parliament’s website:
MPs take the oath or affirm. They then sign the 'Test Roll'. This is a parchment book headed by the oath and affirmation which is kept by the Clerk of the House of Commons.

Finally, MPs are introduced to the Commons Speaker by the Clerk of the House. MPs shake the Speaker's hand. They then give their signature and let staff know how they would like to be known in House documents.

gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #4859 on: November 15, 2023, 12:32:50 PM »

tories should go for a bold stroke and make someone like bale/sterling/prince harry PM which would distract from the inevitable decline that britain is grappling with and get them a nice bump in the polling while BoJo and Sunak pull the strings
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #4860 on: November 15, 2023, 12:51:35 PM »

Our ‘soft power’ comes from the City of London, Oxbridge and the English language, not through adherence to treaties that almost all countries attempt to circumvent anyway. Besides, no-one cares what we think on moral issues and the whole British ‘foreign policy’ debate basically consists of impotent grandstanding (see the utterly irrelevant Israel-Palestine sideshow that seems to be monopolising the attention of parliamentarians, as did Afghanistan before it).

It’s an unexpectedly ballsy move, but I fully expect it to be voted down by the “moderates” within the Conservative Party. I can actually see some potential for the  government to fall over this if they do bring it to a vote (with the Tories split between Braverman and the right on one wing, the “moderates” on the other and poor old Rishi getting dismembered in the middle).
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #4861 on: November 15, 2023, 01:17:46 PM »

Being part of the ECHR etc doesn’t mean we treat asylum seekers (genuine or rejected) well, it just we and other countries try to treat them as horrible as possible without being able to actually deport them.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4862 on: November 15, 2023, 01:58:46 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2023, 02:08:17 PM by Torrain »

My thing about soft power was more that the Foreign Sec will have this thrown in their face whenever they try to make an intervention on human rights for years to come. Appreciate that’s possibly a bit naive - but seems like a self-inflicted wound, for a policy that will almost certainly be stillborn.

Sunak’s handling of it all just feels unserious. Him defending Lee Anderson’s demands to ignore the courts and UK law, and just send asylum seekers to Rwanda regardless particularly, seemed a tad spineless.

Appreciate I’m a bit hot under the collar about this, which wasn’t my intention. But I do resent Sunak weaponising membership of the ECHR, given its role in the Good Friday Agreement. Last thing I want is for that to become the Brexit debate of the 2030s.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #4863 on: November 15, 2023, 02:38:42 PM »

Lee Anderson thinks he's Andrew Jackson
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4864 on: November 15, 2023, 05:14:21 PM »

In case anyone here is wondering who R is in these cases, it's the King. All judicial reviews are brought in his name.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4865 on: November 15, 2023, 06:04:11 PM »

Numbers feel a little implausible, but worth noting that we’ve got a second “Tories under 20%” poll in 24 hours:
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #4866 on: November 15, 2023, 06:57:09 PM »

Numbers feel a little implausible, but worth noting that we’ve got a second “Tories under 20%” poll in 24 hours:

They absolutely deserve the coming shellacking. I'm not sure I've ever seen a more mismanaged party than the UK Tories in the past few years. I'm not exactly as far left as UK Labour, but Starmer seems like a big step up over Corbyn, and certainly over the clowns the Tories have been led by in recent years.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #4867 on: November 15, 2023, 07:01:09 PM »

I wonder if Bravermann, Truss, Mogg all bolted the Tories(along with MP's like them) to Reform, would Farage be able to pull a UK Version of Manning 1993 .
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4868 on: November 15, 2023, 07:03:06 PM »

I wonder if Bravermann, Truss, Mogg all bolted the Tories(along with MP's like them) to Reform, would Farage be able to pull a UK Version of Manning 1993 .

There would be so many egos over there, it would explode before the election.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #4869 on: November 15, 2023, 08:50:39 PM »

This is all basically the political equivalent of a person on death row. You ALMOST feel bad for them.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #4870 on: November 15, 2023, 09:17:18 PM »

They absolutely deserve the coming shellacking. I'm not sure I've ever seen a more mismanaged party than the UK Tories in the past few years. I'm not exactly as far left as UK Labour, but Starmer seems like a big step up over Corbyn, and certainly over the clowns the Tories have been led by in recent years.

I just entered this poll result in Electoral Calculus(Can’t change SNP % though) and this is what I got lol

Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #4871 on: November 15, 2023, 10:11:47 PM »

I just entered this poll result in Electoral Calculus(Can’t change SNP % though) and this is what I got lol

Wow I wasn't even far off when I said they were down by like 500 seats now, and I thought I was just joking...
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4872 on: November 16, 2023, 03:34:51 AM »
« Edited: November 16, 2023, 03:52:44 AM by Torrain »

Promise I’m not going to post every poll that comes out. But we have some YouGov polling this morning (typically more reliable than FindOutNow and PeoplePolling), which mirrors the decline in Conservative vote we saw in the last two, and showing Reform UK in double digits:

All three polls are post-reshuffle, which suggests (as Blair implied a few pages back), that the Cameron appointment would be met with approval inside the bubble, and indifference or worse elsewhere.

Also, the worst result for the Tories with YouGov since Sunak became PM…
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #4873 on: November 16, 2023, 03:47:54 AM »

Promise I’m not going to post every poll that comes out. But we have some YouGov polling this morning (typically more reliable than FindOutNow and PeoplePolling), which mirrors the decline in Conservative vote we saw in the last two, and showing Reform UK in double digits:

All three polls are post-reshuffle, which suggests (as Blair implied a few pages back), that the Cameron appointment would be met with approval inside the bubble, and indifference or worse elsewhere.
Where are the 3% leaving Labour going? 1% must be going to the Greens, but the rest?
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #4874 on: November 16, 2023, 04:20:33 AM »

37 point lead?

Any other Labour leader would be 20 points ahead.
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 192 193 194 [195] 196 197 198 199 200 ... 234  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies