2023 Chicago Mayoral/Aldermanic Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:53:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2023 Chicago Mayoral/Aldermanic Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 33
Author Topic: 2023 Chicago Mayoral/Aldermanic Elections  (Read 33707 times)
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: March 02, 2023, 08:30:20 AM »

A 3.5% income tax for people making more than 100k that would make the upper middle class leave in droves an already depressed city?

Or more security for a place with civil war murder rates in some areas?

Yeah, I wonder what would be better for Chicago...
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #276 on: March 02, 2023, 10:34:59 AM »

A Latino police officer was shot and killed yesterday, this will give Vallas an edge with Latino voters, a lot of Latino males are pro-police, Johnson will be seen as a facilitator of these police-community strain, since he wants to defund the police.

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-police-officer-shot-and-killed-cop-gage-park-in/12902742/

Vallas should politicize this death and make a contrast if he wants to win.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #277 on: March 02, 2023, 11:51:18 AM »

Final map:

Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #278 on: March 02, 2023, 11:54:44 AM »

Did Lughfoot win a plurality of wards and still come in 3rd?
kwabbit

« Reply #279 on: March 02, 2023, 12:15:30 PM »

Did Lughfoot win a plurality of wards and still come in 3rd?

By my count Vallas won 19, Lightfoot 16, Johnson 9, and Chuy 6. Vallas won majorities in 11, Lightfoot none, Johnson none, and Chuy 2.

The turnout differences are honestly insane given that the wards have equal populations. Cop ward 19 had 21k votes while the Black South Side wards had roughly 10k each, and the Hispanic West Side wards had 6k each.

Johnson needs to get a strong turnout from the South Side to win this. Wilson is probably going to endorse Vallas and Lightfoot no one. Even if Johnson is winning these wards 75/25, if they're turning out at 1/2 rate of the White ethnic wards they can be swamped.

Another thing that stood out to be for turnout is how weak downtown was. Maybe because it's younger and has less native Chicagoans, but West Loop had 8k and Mag Mile had 10k. Vallas' performance in downtown really surprised me, although the Chicago downtown has some history of that. I was expecting the rapid development of the area to bring in more Johnson types.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #280 on: March 02, 2023, 04:01:26 PM »

good riddance!!! this is what you get for pushing identity politics and trying to parade woke first-time achievements over competence and credentials

Lol, Lightfoot deserved to lose but it wasn't cause of 'parading' anything 'woke'.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #281 on: March 02, 2023, 04:13:10 PM »

good riddance!!! this is what you get for pushing identity politics and trying to parade woke first-time achievements over competence and credentials

Lol, Lightfoot deserved to lose but it wasn't cause of 'parading' anything 'woke'.
She said she wouldn't do any interviews with white or Asian journalists.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #282 on: March 02, 2023, 04:15:12 PM »

Lori Lightfoot lost my support a long time ago so I don't know what point you think you're proving? I refuse to recognize the inane definition of 'woke' that you and others are pushing.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #283 on: March 02, 2023, 04:16:39 PM »

Lori Lightfoot lost my support a long time ago so I don't know what point you think you're proving? I refuse to recognize the inane definition of 'woke' that you and others are pushing.
The point is she deserved to lose for tons of reasons. Some woke like, most not.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #284 on: March 02, 2023, 04:19:09 PM »

The point is she deserved to lose for tons of reasons. Some woke like, most not.

Yes.

No.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #285 on: March 02, 2023, 04:25:07 PM »

Yes.

No.
If that bit on interviews isn't woke, what is it?
DrScholl even defended it: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=445506.0
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #286 on: March 02, 2023, 04:29:05 PM »

Yes.

No.
DrScholl even defended it: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=445506.0

Woke (/ˈwoʊk/ WOHK) is an adjective derived from African-American Vernacular English (AAVE) meaning "alert to racial prejudice and discrimination".

Now plenty of people, particularly right-wing people, have started to use 'Woke' for any number of cultural issues they want to malign, or when someone does something silly like this, but I refuse to play by that definition and/or acknowledge it as having any real substance. But you do you BRTD, what Lightfoot did here was clearly ridiculous but I reject labeling it as 'woke'.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #287 on: March 02, 2023, 05:53:58 PM »

Jesse White endorses Vallas for mayor, giving Vallas a lifeline to getting Black voters, especially older black male voters....

https://www.nbcchicago.com/chicago-mayoral-election-2023/jesse-white-endorses-paul-vallas-mayor/3085463/

Brandon Johnson can win if he promises to hire Val Demings as Chicago's next police commissioner....

leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #288 on: March 02, 2023, 07:32:52 PM »

Yes.

No.

Woke. Isn’t. Real.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #289 on: March 02, 2023, 07:41:02 PM »

Yes.

No.

Woke. Isn’t. Real.
Maybe it vague and poorly defined but some term is needed to describe this type of New Left idpol that started surging around 2014ish and was extremely fringe prior. For example a certain word used to refer to Latino people that both them and I highly dislike...what should people who use it be described as?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #290 on: March 02, 2023, 11:37:13 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2023, 11:48:54 PM by Mr. Illini »

This is important less for its direct impact on voters and more as, in essence, a free pass for any Democratic politicians or institutions to line up behind Vallas. If Jesse White's doing it, it's okay for everyone else to do it.

Most Democratic pols were always going to get behind Vallas, no matter what Jessie White did. It is notable in that it sets the tone for Black lawmakers. I expect Bobby Rush to do the same.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #291 on: March 02, 2023, 11:43:07 PM »

This is important less for its direct impact on voters and more as, in essence, a free pass for any Democratic politicians or institutions to line up behind Vallas. If Jesse White's doing it, it's okay for everyone else to do it.

Democratic pols were always going to get behind Vallas, no matter what Jessie White did. It is notable in that it sets the tone for Black lawmakers. I expect Bobby Rush to do the same pretty quickly. It shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone who follows politics in this town that Johnson has a big uphill climb in this.

Not only is Jesse White the first Black and longest-serving SoS in IL, but he's consistently been the most popular vote-getter statewide for two decades. His endorsement not only opens the doors for a lot of Dem pols to back Vallas, but it carries a lot of weight in the Black community, particularly with older voters.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #292 on: March 03, 2023, 01:27:02 PM »

He's gonna lose anyways Johnson if Garcia or Lightfoot gotten into runoff it would have mattered

OHare, Rosemont, Jefferson Park, Bridgeport is gonna vote Vallas due police officer got killed Lightfoot not though on crime

That's why I rooted for Garcia, Vallas ran for Lt Gov in 2014 and Lost he wanted to be Gov
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #293 on: March 03, 2023, 01:57:39 PM »

Expect a lot more of this this weekend and next week. This race was over before it started.
kwabbit

« Reply #294 on: March 03, 2023, 02:33:16 PM »

If the Black establishment is in favor of Vallas, no way Johnson wins. He needed to run the table in the South Side. Lightfoot might not endorse, but Willie is certainly going to be endorsing Vallas if all these more liberal Black politicians are. It matters who Chuy endorses, but Vallas an easy path to 50% now.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #295 on: March 03, 2023, 02:36:39 PM »

If the Black establishment is in favor of Vallas, no way Johnson wins. He needed to run the table in the South Side. Lightfoot might not endorse, but Willie is certainly going to be endorsing Vallas if all these more liberal Black politicians are. It matters who Chuy endorses, but Vallas an easy path to 50% now.

Vallas was gonna win anyways due to this police officer Lopez being killed there were clear red flags that weren't connected by City Hall or Police that could have put the criminal behind bars early on
Babeuf

« Reply #296 on: March 03, 2023, 05:43:00 PM »

If true, Davis backing Johnson behind the scenes is quite shocking.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #297 on: March 03, 2023, 07:28:13 PM »

If true, Davis backing Johnson behind the scenes is quite shocking.

Why is that shocking? Davis seems to be fairly lefty in general, while Vallas is very moderate if not conservative
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #298 on: March 03, 2023, 08:11:08 PM »

Jesse White, etc. endorsing Vallas will anger a lot of Black activists.

Jesse Jackson, Jonathan Jackson, etc. hasn't endorsed anyone yet. Their endorsement matters too.

If Vallas wins, I pray to God that there are no police incidents because Chance the Rapper is coming in 2027 if that happens.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #299 on: March 03, 2023, 08:44:54 PM »

Jesse White, etc. endorsing Vallas will anger a lot of Black activists.

Jesse Jackson, Jonathan Jackson, etc. hasn't endorsed anyone yet. Their endorsement matters too.

If Vallas wins, I pray to God that there are no police incidents because Chance the Rapper is coming in 2027 if that happens.

Actually, Jonathan Jackson endorsed Brandon Johnson already
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 33  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies