2023 Chicago Mayoral/Aldermanic Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:49:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2023 Chicago Mayoral/Aldermanic Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 33
Author Topic: 2023 Chicago Mayoral/Aldermanic Elections  (Read 33631 times)
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: March 10, 2023, 12:36:08 AM »

The coming months are gonna be hard on Vallas as all his conservative rhetoric is going on trial in one of the most liberal cities in the country where Biden won every ward. This doesn’t mean that he’s out or that they’re aren’t conservative democrats in Chicago, they’re definitely are just look at Wilson’s numbers, but they’re not the majority.

FYI, the election is on April 4th. Same day as the Wisconsin Supreme Court.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #351 on: March 10, 2023, 09:17:48 AM »

Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #352 on: March 10, 2023, 10:04:45 AM »

I still think Vallas wins.

Earlier I said that I would've voted for Johnson in the first round but after reviewing things a bit more I'm back to saying I would've voted for Garcia. Some of Johnson's proposals especially his transit tax one are complete non-starters for me.

But I'd still vote for him in the runoff because Vallas just sucks that much.

Why can't Chicago get even a good candidate for mayor? Even Garcia isn't great, he's just not terrible. I guess Preckwinkle was good but she also got blown out.

Preckwinkle’s blowout loss should tell you that she is, in fact, not good. At least the vast majority of Chicagoans think so.
John Forbes Kerrygold 🧈
ObamasWaffle
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #353 on: March 10, 2023, 10:18:27 AM »

I still think Vallas wins.

Earlier I said that I would've voted for Johnson in the first round but after reviewing things a bit more I'm back to saying I would've voted for Garcia. Some of Johnson's proposals especially his transit tax one are complete non-starters for me.

But I'd still vote for him in the runoff because Vallas just sucks that much.

Why can't Chicago get even a good candidate for mayor? Even Garcia isn't great, he's just not terrible. I guess Preckwinkle was good but she also got blown out.

Preckwinkle’s blowout loss should tell you that she is, in fact, not good. At least the vast majority of Chicagoans think so.

Yeah, I regret that we ended up with Lightfoot, but that doesn't mean I wish we got Preckwinkle.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #354 on: March 10, 2023, 11:30:27 AM »

Can anyone give me an example of a time when hostility toward the police department and reduced toughness toward violent crime helped a city? We can have some police and justice reform without the outright softness towards criminals and hostility to police that Johnson and many folks on here seem to want. How does Johnson represent anything other than a doubling down on the failed crime policies of Lightfoot?
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #355 on: March 10, 2023, 11:58:13 AM »

Can anyone give me an example of a time when hostility toward the police department and reduced toughness toward violent crime helped a city? We can have some police and justice reform without the outright softness towards criminals and hostility to police that Johnson and many folks on here seem to want. How does Johnson represent anything other than a doubling down on the failed crime policies of Lightfoot?

I'm going to do a whataboutism here but it should be pointed out that 3 of the top 5 states with the highest crime rates according to FBI statistics between 2011 and 2020 (which I pulled from this Wikipedia article) are Alaska, Tennessee, and Arkansas. If you expand it to the top 10, you can tack on Arizona, Louisiana, Missouri, South Carolina, and South Dakota. Aside from Arizona, who had a Republican Governor for the entirety of that time period, all of those states are deep red. So I'll answer your question with a question--when's the last time "tough on crime" politicians ever did anything to bring down crime rates?

By the way, 8 of the bottom 10 states are blue states.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #356 on: March 10, 2023, 12:23:29 PM »

I'm going to do a whataboutism here but it should be pointed out that 3 of the top 5 states with the highest crime rates according to FBI statistics between 2011 and 2020 (which I pulled from this Wikipedia article) are Alaska, Tennessee, and Arkansas. If you expand it to the top 10, you can tack on Arizona, Louisiana, Missouri, South Carolina, and South Dakota. Aside from Arizona, who had a Republican Governor for the entirety of that time period, all of those states are deep red. So I'll answer your question with a question--when's the last time "tough on crime" politicians ever did anything to bring down crime rates?

Not to mention he's misrepresenting Lightfoot's police record pretty badly.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #357 on: March 10, 2023, 12:29:28 PM »

I mean there are lots of confounding factors like poverty and the distribution of the population in rural and urban areas, plus policing is mostly something handled at a local level. I wouldn’t argue that tough on crime policies are a magic bullet but I don’t know how anyone can look at the level of violent crime in Chicago and think that that’s something that is acceptable or can somehow Be solved without a heavy law enforcement component. I love Chicago and I hate that it’s held back by crime. It should be among the first rank of cities in the world. Tackle the crime and you can have economic recovery for the long suffering folks on the south and west sides.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #358 on: March 10, 2023, 12:38:27 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2023, 12:41:59 PM by Peeperkorn »

Did anyone watch the debate? Brandon Johnson kept saying “Latinx”

I can't believe that some politicians still think that latinos like this term....

Progressives should start interacting with some real people and avoid the woke academic bulls*** if they want to win elections.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #359 on: March 10, 2023, 08:39:39 PM »

I can't believe that some politicians still think that latinos like this term....

Progressives should start interacting with some real people and avoid the woke academic bulls*** if they want to win elections.
What's worse for those real people, appearing to be slightly soy, or destroying a school system?
If you're complaining that a politician sounds like a politician, i don't know what to tell you. Most people don't really care about that kinda stuff like they care about their kids education.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #360 on: March 10, 2023, 09:29:27 PM »

What's worse for those real people, appearing to be slightly soy, or destroying a school system?
If you're complaining that a politician sounds like a politician, i don't know what to tell you. Most people don't really care about that kinda stuff like they care about their kids education.
The question is though, what's the point of using it? It doesn't gain you any votes, so why bother so much? Ruben Gallego is way smarter on this than so many others are.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #361 on: March 10, 2023, 10:27:09 PM »

The question is though, what's the point of using it? It doesn't gain you any votes, so why bother so much? Ruben Gallego is way smarter on this than so many others are.
Theres all sorts of phrases that sound awkward that don't get the same attention. Y'know how every democrat repotically responds to shootings with calls for "commonsense gun reform"? Politicians always sound fake as fyck, whatever. Why focus on this particular word? Latinx was started by queer folks. The vast majority of latin folks arent queer so of course it sounds weird to most. Whatever, people literally dont care that much and if you are suggesting politicians should try to calibrate their language to "gain votes," i think that's a great strategy to sound fake as fyck.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #362 on: March 10, 2023, 10:28:07 PM »

Theres all sorts of phrases that sound awkward that don't get the same attention. Y'know how every democrat repotically responds to shootings with calls for "commonsense gun reform"? Politicians always sound fake as fyck, whatever. Why focus on this particular word? Latinx was started by queer folks. The vast majority of latin folks arent queer so of course it sounds weird to most. Whatever, people literally dont care that much and if you are suggesting politicians should try to calibrate their language to "gain votes," i think that's a great strategy to sound fake as fyck.
How does "Latino" sound "fake as fyck"? Does Ruben Gallego sound fake?
warandwar
United States

« Reply #363 on: March 10, 2023, 10:35:58 PM »

How does "Latino" sound "fake as fyck"? Does Ruben Gallego sound fake?
I think you're misreading my post. If i were a politician, i'd focus on just sounding like myself. Brandon is clearly a kind of awkward, dorky guy. Trying to sound like someone he's not will just make him sound fake, which is much worse.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #364 on: March 11, 2023, 12:11:33 AM »

I think with "Latinx" as with "wokeism" it's important to remember that a healthy majority of Americans do not know what these terms mean
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #365 on: March 11, 2023, 01:03:27 AM »

I think with "Latinx" as with "wokeism" it's important to remember that a healthy majority of Americans do not know what these terms mean
so...isn't that more reason to not use them?
SInNYC

« Reply #366 on: March 12, 2023, 12:02:43 PM »

To be fair the commonsense gun reform is a copy of how Republicans add the commonsense adjective to every economics proposal  to help the rich. And honestly, it seems to have worked for Rs.

Anytime a politician says commonsense my BS meter goes on, since it is seldom sensible and almost never for the common person.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #367 on: March 12, 2023, 12:58:29 PM »

Is it impossible for my opinion to simply be 'idgaf if someone says Latinx or not?' Your obsession over the word is possibly single-handedly responsible for its continued existence all things being equal.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #368 on: March 12, 2023, 01:26:52 PM »

Victory Research poll has Vallas leading:

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #369 on: March 12, 2023, 01:59:14 PM »

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #370 on: March 12, 2023, 02:06:42 PM »

Is it impossible for my opinion to simply be 'idgaf if someone says Latinx or not?' Your obsession over the word is possibly single-handedly responsible for its continued existence all things being equal.
That's you but Latinos do care. And Ruben Gallego recognizes that.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #371 on: March 12, 2023, 02:19:53 PM »

If this pollster is accurate, then it's clear where the momentum is. I'd like to see more statistical points of reference... But with the election in just a few weeks we probably won't get a ton more.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #372 on: March 12, 2023, 09:49:28 PM »

Vallas hanging with his base.

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #373 on: March 12, 2023, 09:54:55 PM »

Once one of the main Democratic bases in America, only Democrats like Vallas, Biden, Schumer and Newsom get these people.

Once Harris, etc. ascends in the party, they're gone.

I'm surprised they still live in Chicago and haven't moved elsewhere in Cook or even suburbia in DuPage.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #374 on: March 12, 2023, 09:57:42 PM »

See, this is why as stupid as Johnson is, he's still better than Vallas. Yuck.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 33  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies