2023 Chicago Mayoral/Aldermanic Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 07:32:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2023 Chicago Mayoral/Aldermanic Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 33
Author Topic: 2023 Chicago Mayoral/Aldermanic Elections  (Read 33283 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: February 28, 2023, 09:22:55 PM »

Let's Go Brandon! I'm tired of these Republicans cynically switching parties to attempt to sneak their conservative policies by the voters. We've tried this with Eric Adams in NYC and, lo and behold, the city isn't any better, it just has a complete clown at the helm.

I suppose you’ve never considered that maybe all Democrats are not as progressive as you. 36% of Chicago is not Republican. Chicago has been run by conservative Democrats for longer than it hasn’t.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #201 on: February 28, 2023, 09:25:05 PM »

I am very pleased with the results tonight. Even though Johnson is probably too far left for my preference, and has some terrible positions like the Metra tax, I would be fairly ok if he won the runoff because he provide a real fresh change running the city, and maybe his radical plans could actually work.

But Vallas is in pole position, and I think he’s got the best plan to get the city back on track. I’m really glad to see that the first round voters supported him to the extent that they did.

Lori, I supported you in the runoff in 2019, but you are history. She did this to herself.

Chuy? Idk man you should have won this race. I enthusiastically supported him against Rahm, and I’m just stunned he came out so flat this year.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #202 on: February 28, 2023, 09:27:21 PM »

Yeah it seems like Vallas probably does win the runoff.

But the worst mayor in the country is gone so I won't complain.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #203 on: February 28, 2023, 09:30:15 PM »

Chuy? Idk man you should have won this race. I enthusiastically supported him against Rahm, and I’m just stunned he came out so flat this year.

I really don't get it, he allowed Lightfoot to destroy him unopposed for months. Just bizarre.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #204 on: February 28, 2023, 09:34:13 PM »

Lori Lightfoot carried all 50 wards in her 2019 victory. What a downfall. She did it to herself.

Forget Blanched, it’s getting Lightfooted now
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #205 on: February 28, 2023, 09:39:26 PM »

Just checked out the campaign website for Paul Vallas and I gotta say, I like the guy. I appreciate a law/order guy and a education guy.

You sure about that? Vallas is seen as too pro-police, a Giuliani 2.0 or an tragic accident waiting to happen
Yes. Chicago has a serious crime problem. It had one before the nationwide crime surge, which made things even worst. Neighborhoods that aren't use to crime now have crime.

I am a teacher several states away. Chicago schools are known as the scariest place to work.

We need discipline in our schools and in our streets. If Chicago of all places elects him mayor, it shows what the people want

I don't think activists' hearts can take that. Vallas cannot bring back outdated stop and frisk, etc.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #206 on: February 28, 2023, 09:41:42 PM »

Let's Go Brandon! I'm tired of these Republicans cynically switching parties to attempt to sneak their conservative policies by the voters. We've tried this with Eric Adams in NYC and, lo and behold, the city isn't any better, it just has a complete clown at the helm.

I suppose you’ve never considered that maybe all Democrats are not as progressive as you. 36% of Chicago is not Republican. Chicago has been run by conservative Democrats for longer than it hasn’t.

I honestly don't even think this is a progressive vs. moderate thing. It would be one thing if Eric Adams had transformed NYC into the Garden of Eden or something. But he hasn't. There is no panacea to the issues large cities face in this day and age; all Vallas will be able to do is further harass the most vulnerable.
John Forbes Kerrygold 🧈
ObamasWaffle
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #207 on: February 28, 2023, 09:47:34 PM »

Lightfoot concedes. Wow.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #208 on: February 28, 2023, 09:50:54 PM »

RIP. I really did like her 4 years ago. I bet she endorses Vallas if he lets her.
Biden 2024
wolfentoad66
Norfolk Island

« Reply #209 on: February 28, 2023, 09:54:22 PM »

Still expecting a Jadue vs. Lavín runoff.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #210 on: February 28, 2023, 09:56:17 PM »

If Brandon Johnson wins the runoff, do you see any tensions with him and the CPD? Do you see cops walking off the job, etc. since he is a defund guy?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #211 on: February 28, 2023, 09:57:57 PM »

So which of the advancees is less bad from a local point of view?
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #212 on: February 28, 2023, 09:59:48 PM »

RIP. I really did like her 4 years ago. I bet she endorses Vallas if he lets her.

Lightfoot starts maliciously endorsing and campaigning for people she wants to loose
John Forbes Kerrygold 🧈
ObamasWaffle
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #213 on: February 28, 2023, 10:07:59 PM »

I enthusiastically voted for her 4 years ago and ended up becoming an “anyone but Lori” voter this go round. What a damn shame.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #214 on: February 28, 2023, 10:11:00 PM »

I enthusiastically voted for her 4 years ago and ended up becoming an “anyone but Lori” voter this go round. What a damn shame.

I’m not a Chicago or even Illinois resident, but I felt the same. She had a lot of promise and just generally the narrative around her was glowing. Now she’s a pariah. I can’t imagine a similar fall from grace of any other politician
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #215 on: February 28, 2023, 10:22:35 PM »

I honestly don't even think this is a progressive vs. moderate thing. It would be one thing if Eric Adams had transformed NYC into the Garden of Eden or something. But he hasn't. There is no panacea to the issues large cities face in this day and age; all Vallas will be able to do is further harass the most vulnerable.
There is a panacea. Invest in affordable housing while bring back order in our streets and classrooms. More police and more teachers. Lets stop accomdating the 10-33% of our society that wants to defund the police and let kids climb on desks and cuss out their teachers.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #216 on: February 28, 2023, 10:31:50 PM »

There is a panacea. Invest in affordable housing while bring back order in our streets and classrooms. More police and more teachers.

Those things should be done, but let's not pretend they constitute a panacea.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #217 on: February 28, 2023, 10:35:04 PM »

There is a panacea. Invest in affordable housing while bring back order in our streets and classrooms. More police and more teachers.

Those things should be done, but let's not pretend they constitute a panacea.
What are the biggest complaints people have about cities vs suburbs? Crime and bad schools

The other cons of cities are noise, space and privacy. But those are inheriert to cities and can't be changed. Thats why I'd rather live in a suburb. But cities should elect mayors who make livablity better.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #218 on: February 28, 2023, 10:55:31 PM »

4 years ago I said she was going to be a disaster, and look what happened.  Remember, I'm right 99% of the time.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #219 on: February 28, 2023, 11:10:43 PM »

4 years ago I said she was going to be a disaster, and look what happened.  Remember, I'm right 99% of the time.
The mandates in blue states are coming back next time the cases go up, which is going to be in a couple months max... so no, she did not kill them.
Move to 'normalcy' for a few months until cases start going up and his base demands new restrictions.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #220 on: February 28, 2023, 11:21:00 PM »

Oh, you voted for Toni?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #221 on: February 28, 2023, 11:21:36 PM »

4 years ago I said she was going to be a disaster, and look what happened.  Remember, I'm right 99% of the time.

Oh, you voted for Toni?

I wrote in Ed Burke.  Where did I say Toni wasn't worse?  I didn't vote to put either of them in the runoff.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #222 on: February 28, 2023, 11:30:14 PM »

4 years ago I said she was going to be a disaster, and look what happened.  Remember, I'm right 99% of the time.

Oh, you voted for Toni?

I wrote in Ed Burke.  Where did I say Toni wasn't worse?  I didn't vote to put either of them in the runoff.

I was being sarcastic because I remember you posting in favor of Lightfoot on this blog.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #223 on: February 28, 2023, 11:34:35 PM »

Oh, you voted for Toni?

I wrote in Ed Burke.  Where did I say Toni wasn't worse?  I didn't vote to put either of them in the runoff.

I was being sarcastic because I remember you posting in favor of Lightfoot on this blog.

Fake news!

Ed Burke needs to once again take up the #resistance mantle against whoever the new extremist mayor is.

I did say I was glad she beat Preckwinkle in the runoff.  I stand by that, too.  You have to try and make lemonade out of lemons.
kyc0705

« Reply #224 on: February 28, 2023, 11:43:01 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 33  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies