FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:04:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 131
Author Topic: FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)  (Read 120808 times)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1200 on: August 14, 2022, 11:19:34 AM »

Fuzzy: is the warrant a forgery? Or is the FBI lying? If so, what are they lying about? Did Trump have those documents at Mar-a-Lago, having declassified them before he left office, or did the FBI plant evidence?
You should honestly not even bother. Fuzzy will never engage on any of your questions and will just run away from the thread, hope things die done then come back with a new round of talking points. It’s better to just call him out on his absurdities and leave it at that
He clearly has an attachment to Trump beyond “logic” and that doesn’t make it less valid, it just means understanding it can’t be done through a scientific lens.
It’s quite easy to understand. Fuzzy is a typical cranky old fart who’s mad the world isn’t the same as when he grew up in and Trump hurts and upsets the various groups and elements Fuzzy blames for the changes 
I…don’t buy that exactly. The fact Fuzzy is embracing terms like “lol” and “based” actually would suggest he isn’t averse to societal change itself. He is scared of something changing for sure, but behind that there is 100% a deeper fear and/or struggle that really is driving the attachment to Trump.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1201 on: August 14, 2022, 11:21:51 AM »

EDIT: did he delete his post? lol

Must have been modded, since my response (which was not inflammatory) is gone too.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1202 on: August 14, 2022, 11:28:12 AM »

Fuzzy: is the warrant a forgery? Or is the FBI lying? If so, what are they lying about? Did Trump have those documents at Mar-a-Lago, having declassified them before he left office, or did the FBI plant evidence?
You should honestly not even bother. Fuzzy will never engage on any of your questions and will just run away from the thread, hope things die done then come back with a new round of talking points. It’s better to just call him out on his absurdities and leave it at that
He clearly has an attachment to Trump beyond “logic” and that doesn’t make it less valid, it just means understanding it can’t be done through a scientific lens.
It’s quite easy to understand. Fuzzy is a typical cranky old fart who’s mad the world isn’t the same as when he grew up in and Trump hurts and upsets the various groups and elements Fuzzy blames for the changes 

Fuzzy is actually pretty young in many ways :

- He uses Millennial Jargon

- His politics are way more Similar to Under 40 Republicans than Over 40.

- He is definitely less jingoistic than most boomers
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1203 on: August 14, 2022, 11:29:03 AM »

I don't really get the point of baiting Fuzzy and his ilk here. Sure, it's funny to watch people make complete fools of themselves defending Trump as the evidence in this case is frankly painfully unambiguous, but come on, it's Fuzzy. It's not like he wasn't doing that before. In my opinion it's mostly sad to see that grown adults have had their brains rotted to such an insane degree, and yet more evidence of why I hope they lock Trump up for the rest of his natural life, so that our nation and our fellow Americans can begin to heal in his absence.

Trump only further opened up a Pandora's Box, there isn't a "healing".

Likewise the nation didn't really heal from Watergate at all, it just deflected to "gubmint bad".
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1204 on: August 14, 2022, 11:30:09 AM »

This x100. Fuzzy is not exactly old at heart by any means. Few people like that would probably even be on here.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1205 on: August 14, 2022, 11:34:25 AM »

A lot of young people crush on bad boys. I’m assuming worshipping a mobster is an evolution of that.

Yeah...

Those young people really need to grow up and stop chasing after bad boys who are clearly not in their best interests.  You know, the guys that get into fist-fights outside of Outback Steakhouses.  

Just a hypothetical example.  
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #1206 on: August 14, 2022, 11:34:48 AM »

I don't really get the point of baiting Fuzzy and his ilk here. Sure, it's funny to watch people make complete fools of themselves defending Trump as the evidence in this case is frankly painfully unambiguous, but come on, it's Fuzzy. It's not like he wasn't doing that before. In my opinion it's mostly sad to see that grown adults have had their brains rotted to such an insane degree, and yet more evidence of why I hope they lock Trump up for the rest of his natural life, so that our nation and our fellow Americans can begin to heal in his absence.

Trump only further opened up a Pandora's Box, there isn't a "healing".

Likewise the nation didn't really heal from Watergate at all, it just deflected to "gubmint bad".

Yes, exactly this. The failure to hold Nixon accountable for his crimes was a grave mistake and greatly damaged the entire idea of the rule of law.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1207 on: August 14, 2022, 11:38:11 AM »
« Edited: August 14, 2022, 11:42:32 AM by Old School Republican »

This x100. Fuzzy is not exactly old at heart by any means. Few people like that would probably even be on here.

Yah plus many of those types of people Hindsight mentioned flipped to becoming Republicans by 2012 at the latest. In fact Trump overall did worse with older Americans than even Romney did so Trump’s appeal isn’t particularly old for Republican standards .

Going back to Fuzzy politics wise you could argue many posters on here are more boomer like than Fuzzy . For liberals it would be for example having a higher trust in institutions and being a fan of democrats like Biden who are absolutely not liked by younger democrats and with republicans being more economically conservative and more in favor of an interventionist foreign policy than most younger republicans.

What I think really got Fuzzy to fully switch really began in full steam with democrats taking all the wrong lessons from 2012 and then “classical liberalism” dying over the past decade when it comes to social issue . So due to that you can’t be a liberal traditionalist anymore and succeed in politics
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1208 on: August 14, 2022, 11:40:13 AM »

Yah plus many of those types of people Hindsight mentioned flipped to becoming Republicans by 2012 at the latest. In fact Trump overall did worse with older Americans than even Romney did so Trump’s appeal isn’t particularly old for Republican standards .

Going back to Fuzzy politics wise you could argue many posters on here are more boomer like than Fuzzy . For liberals it would be for example having a higher trust in institutions and being a fan of democrats like Biden who are absolutely not liked by younger democrats and with republicans being more economically conservative and more in favor of an interventionist foreign policy than most younger republicans.

This actually describes me (one of the older members here) pretty well.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1209 on: August 14, 2022, 12:00:41 PM »

What I think really got Fuzzy to fully switch really began in full steam with democrats taking all the wrong lessons from 2012 and then “classical liberalism” dying over the past decade when it comes to social issue . So due to that you can’t be a liberal traditionalist anymore and succeed in politics
Well…I don’t believe it’s exactly that either. It’s one thing to be socially conservative, I am myself. It’s a whole another to have such an attachment to one man you start defending even the stuff that ought not be. There is much more at play, yes social conservatism may have been a factor, but it’s certainly not the only thing.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1210 on: August 14, 2022, 12:03:57 PM »

To get the thread back on track
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1211 on: August 14, 2022, 12:09:43 PM »

> "Executive" privileged
> By copy of this TRUTH

What?

Also doesn't executive privilege only apply to the current commander-in-chief?
walleye26

« Reply #1212 on: August 14, 2022, 12:17:17 PM »

A lot of young people crush on bad boys. I’m assuming worshipping a mobster is an evolution of that.

Yeah...

Those young people really need to grow up and stop chasing after bad boys who are clearly not in their best interests.  You know, the guys that get into fist-fights outside of Outback Steakhouses. 

Just a hypothetical example. 

That seems like an oddly specific hypothetical…..

But in all seriousness, and I know this is sort of crude, but how much are you guys willing to bet one of these nuts attacks and kills a judge or FBI agent? I’m sure they are stepping up security, but some of these people are so delusional I wouldn’t put it past them.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1213 on: August 14, 2022, 12:20:05 PM »

> "Executive" privileged
> By copy of this TRUTH

What?

It does.  But there also could be documents that are under attorney-client privilege, and that would not have expired with the end of Trump's term.  The job of a taint team is to exclude such items from the investigation.  I believe there are even some exceptions to attorney-client privilege; our resident lawyers would know more.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1214 on: August 14, 2022, 12:42:40 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2022, 01:11:21 PM by Torie »

> "Executive" privileged
> By copy of this TRUTH

What?

It does.  But there also could be documents that are under attorney-client privilege, and that would not have expired with the end of Trump's term.  The job of a taint team is to exclude such items from the investigation.  I believe there are even some exceptions to attorney-client privilege; our resident lawyers would know more.

I know you all are just itching to learn about the crime fraud exception to the attorney client privilege.  And if you would permit me to go snarky for a moment, that is why I surmise that most of what involves Rudy Giuliani is not subject to the privilege. I think his role pretty much 24/7 was to defraud the court as it were.  Terrified

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/the-crime-fraud-exception-the-attorney-client-privilege.html

I would also think that anything involving the attorney client privilege could not at the same time be marked a classified document. I tend to think there is nothing there and Trump is silly buggering again. I agree with you on the taint protocol and that the ship has sailed on Trump claiming executive privilege.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1215 on: August 14, 2022, 12:43:32 PM »

This seems like a stretch.

They're going to put Trump in jail for ten years for possessing unclassified documents?  That doesn't pass the smell test

I'm late to the party here but let me get this straight: according to you, Trump stole a bunch of documents which legally were supposed to return to the government upon his exiting office, including numerous top secret and nuclear documents; used his psychic legal powers asserted by the Heritage Foundation to declassify these documents, without ever communicating that they were declassified; stashed them in his beach house; refused to turn them over to the government for a year and a half, breaking a law which says that keeping government documents carries a legal penalty; and finally gets them snatched back once his beach house is raided. And the part of this saga you find objectionable is that the law Trump broke did not differentiate between government documents which were and were not declassified by Trump's mind powers.

No, that's not what I'm saying.  Stop enjoying listening to yourself so much and consider this nuance:  not all documents presidents are supposed to return to NARA under the PRA would be classified.  If the Espionage Act is being used to potentially prosecute Trump for not returning these records upon "demand of an officer or employee of the United States" then that is prosecutorial overkill.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1216 on: August 14, 2022, 12:48:53 PM »

They're going to put Trump in jail for ten years for possessing unclassified documents?  That doesn't pass the smell test

I'm late to the party here but let me get this straight: according to you, Trump stole a bunch of documents which legally were supposed to return to the government upon his exiting office, including numerous top secret and nuclear documents; used his psychic legal powers asserted by the Heritage Foundation to declassify these documents, without ever communicating that they were declassified; stashed them in his beach house; refused to turn them over to the government for a year and a half, breaking a law which says that keeping government documents carries a legal penalty; and finally gets them snatched back once his beach house is raided. And the part of this saga you find objectionable is that the law Trump broke did not differentiate between government documents which were and were not declassified by Trump's mind powers.

No, that's not what I'm saying.  Stop enjoying listening to yourself so much and consider this nuance:  not all documents presidents are supposed to return to NARA under the PRA would be classified.  If the Espionage Act is being used to potentially prosecute Trump for not returning these records upon "demand of an officer or employee of the United States" then that is prosecutorial overkill.
So you’re arguing that documents pertaining to our nuclear weapons is no big deal for Trump to have and not return?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1217 on: August 14, 2022, 12:51:09 PM »

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1218 on: August 14, 2022, 12:58:26 PM »

So you’re arguing that documents pertaining to our nuclear weapons is no big deal for Trump to have and not return?

Do we have confirmation as to the content of the documents and whether they were indeed classified? 
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1219 on: August 14, 2022, 01:01:47 PM »

Do we have confirmation as to the content of the documents and whether they were indeed classified? 

The warrant lists multiple boxes documents as top secret. Obviously their content can’t be revealed, but the less-secret seized documents pertained to Roger Stone’s pardon and the President of France.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1220 on: August 14, 2022, 01:05:25 PM »

The property receipt, which has been made public, indicates that there were a variety of classified documents collected; Confidential, Secret, Top Secret, and TS/SCI.  The specifc topics have not been published, nor would I expect them to be until an actual indictment is handed down (and maybe not even then, if the topics themselves are classified).

Background for the general audience (since I know DT knows it already): Confidential, Secret, and Top Secret are the three general classification levels, in increasing order of importance/sensitivity.  SCI is an additional protocol, generally used for intelligence data, and is separate from the classification level.  There are other protocols used for various situations  (e.g. nuclear technology). 
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1221 on: August 14, 2022, 01:05:55 PM »

The warrant lists multiple boxes documents as top secret. Obviously their content can’t be revealed, but the less-secret seized documents pertained to Roger Stone’s pardon and the President of France.

I believe the documents were only stamped "top secret" but it's possible they were declassified prior to Trump leaving office.  It will take a review by intelligence analysts to ascertain what the active classification level of the recovered documents really is.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1222 on: August 14, 2022, 01:07:37 PM »

They're going to put Trump in jail for ten years for possessing unclassified documents?  That doesn't pass the smell test

No, that's not what I'm saying.  Stop enjoying listening to yourself so much and consider this nuance:  not all documents presidents are supposed to return to NARA under the PRA would be classified.  If the Espionage Act is being used to potentially prosecute Trump for not returning these records upon "demand of an officer or employee of the United States" then that is prosecutorial overkill.

The only provision of the Espionage Act that he's actually being accused of violating merely concerns the unauthorized retention of national defense information. Just because it's called the "Espionage Act" doesn't mean that the DoJ is acting as if he transmitted state secrets to hostile nations because, flashy title aside, it's still one of its provisions that criminalizes the willful mishandling of these documents, which is still, y'know, a blatant federal crime even if/when it doesn't rise to the level of active, spy-like espionage. So if he's alleged to have not only retained & mishandled records that he was unauthorized to retain, but then willfully concealed his retention & mishandling of such documents from investigators, then where exactly is this supposed prosecutorial overkill that you speak of? What's wrong here??
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1223 on: August 14, 2022, 01:11:46 PM »

I believe the documents were only stamped "top secret" but it's possible they were declassified prior to Trump leaving office.  It will take a review by intelligence analysts to ascertain what the active classification level of the recovered documents really is.

The documents will certainly be reviewed, and probably are even as we speak, but I'm sure you already know that any document with classification markings on it must be presumed to be classified at that level until reviewed. 

And yes, inadvertent overclassification can happen; I once encountered an old document marked Confidential that included information that had been released years earlier.  I reported it to the security office and held onto the document until they came to collect it.  They subsequently reviewed and declassified it.  But until that was done, the document had to be treated as Confidential.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1224 on: August 14, 2022, 01:23:19 PM »

If you may permit me to posit a hypo to you, what would you think if Trump claimed that everything that was still in his possession that has been seized, were documents that he had declassified, and it turned out that some of those documents listed the names of US spies in Moscow, and how the US planned to intercept any nukes that Iran fires towards Israel, so that Israel does not need to fire theirs back?

That is the Trump trap that has been locked shut, and not that it matters for criminal purposes (it's clear now that he did commit felonies, it is just a matter of whether or not he will be prosecuted for them) , but even a man as skillful and pathological a liar as Trump is, is just not going to be able to prevaricate his way out of that particular lock box.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 131  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies