Florida's "don't say gay" bill passes state house
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:52:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Florida's "don't say gay" bill passes state house
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Author Topic: Florida's "don't say gay" bill passes state house  (Read 5990 times)
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2022, 12:29:44 AM »

It's honestly annoying seeing you lefties pretend you have the moral high ground and everyone against you is crazy, insane, phobic, racist, or w.e. your college humanities course lectured you on for 2 grand that semester. Like seriously, who gave you guys this kind of superiority complex? White privilege?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2022, 12:29:58 AM »

When did I, or anyone else here, seriously accuse any one poster of causing anyone's death?

It's because of people like you that LGBT youth are 4x as likely to try and take their own lives.

That being said, bad and discriminatory policy like this does contribute negatively to the mental health of LGBT Youth who already have to face discrimination at school.

I agree. So let's say that instead of indulging in breathless hyperbole that only serves to make the policy in question seem better upon close examination.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2022, 12:30:04 AM »

We shouldn't be teaching sexuality in K-12. Not useful and it's just virtue signaling. Parents care about their kids being productive citizens, learning to read and write, have some skills in order to function as an adult, and simply being kids. This bill doesn't help with any of that.
Kids WILL learn about it no matter what. Believing otherwise would be embarassingly naive. They can either learn it properly or learn propaganda, half-truths and misinformation. There is no option where kids don't learn about it in the real world.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2022, 12:31:10 AM »

You aren't a fraction as funny or clever as you think you are JD.

That still makes me funnier than most people on this site.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2022, 12:31:16 AM »

From now on, I'm going to start saying that every new rent control law and income tax is "literally going to kill people" on the basis that, statistically speaking, someone will probably end up killing themselves as a result of these policies being enacted.

It's because of people like you that LGBT youth are 4x as likely to try and take their own lives.

Please expand on the causal connection you see here.

Liberals think that LGBT youth are weak.

Suffering the consequences of societal discrimination doesn't make someone 'weak' it makes them HUMAN, ffs. You either WANT to see LGBT kids abused or at the very least are indifferent to it, and it's frankly sick.

LGBT youth deal with far worse problems than debate bros online. Blaming Dule and people like him for their deaths is absurd and insulting.

As someone who was/is an LGBT youth, I am more than aware of that. When did I, or anyone else here, seriously accuse any one poster of causing anyone's death? That being said, bad and discriminatory policy like this does contribute negatively to the mental health of LGBT Youth who already have to face discrimination at school.

Forcing them back into the closet in one of the few places where they may feel safe being themselves is only going to worsen the feelings of isolation that many of them feel. How can you not understand that? And this bill is very likely to cause at least some kids to be forcibly outed to families who are not accepting of their sexuality, which is likely to lead to abuse or worse. That's a simple fact.

From now on, I'm going to start saying that every new rent control law and income tax is "literally going to kill people" on the basis that, statistically speaking, someone will probably end up killing themselves as a result of these policies being enacted.

Okay, well I don't think JD or any one poster on here is personally responsible for that tragic fact. Is that what you wanted to hear? But policy proposals and bills like this which they support certainly are.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2022, 12:33:38 AM »

Suffering the consequences of societal discrimination doesn't make someone 'weak' it makes them HUMAN, ffs. You either WANT to see LGBT kids abused or at the very least are indifferent to it, and it's frankly sick.

LGBT youth deal with far worse problems than debate bros online. Blaming Dule and people like him for their deaths is absurd and insulting.

As someone who was/is an LGBT youth, I am more than aware of that. When did I, or anyone else here, seriously accuse any one poster of causing anyone's death? That being said, bad and discriminatory policy like this does contribute negatively to the mental health of LGBT Youth who already have to face discrimination at school.

Forcing them back into the closet in one of the few places where they may feel safe being themselves is only going to worsen the feelings of isolation that many of them feel. How can you not understand that? And this bill is very likely to cause at least some kids to be forcibly outed to families who are not accepting of their sexuality, which is likely to lead to abuse or worse. That's a simple fact.

Okay, well I don't think JD or any one poster on here is personally responsible for that tragic fact. Is that what you wanted to hear? But policy proposals and bills like this which they support certainly are.

I didn't really want to hear anything in particular. I didn't direct that comment at you in the first place.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2022, 12:34:58 AM »

In the same way a monkey smoking a cigarette is funny. It's hilarious to watch you try to act like you're a person worth listening to.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2022, 12:35:21 AM »

It's honestly annoying seeing you lefties pretend you have the moral high ground and everyone against you is crazy, insane, phobic, racist, or w.e. your college humanities course lectured you on for 2 grand that semester. Like seriously, who gave you guys this kind of superiority complex? White privilege?
The current system has gay and trans kids self harming and committing suicides at alarming rates, and having to hide who they are. People that want to perpetuate that system are fighting against justice. It isn't complicated. My mom taught me that non-bigots are superior to bigots at a very young age.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2022, 12:37:15 AM »

In the same way a monkey smoking a cigarette is funny. It's hilarious to watch you try to act like you're a person worth listening to.

I don't know who you are. Why do you keep talking to me
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2022, 12:49:17 AM »

Bigot.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2022, 12:49:28 AM »

We shouldn't be teaching sexuality in K-12. Not useful and it's just virtue signaling. Parents care about their kids being productive citizens, learning to read and write, have some skills in order to function as an adult, and simply being kids. This bill doesn't help with any of that.
Kids WILL learn about it no matter what. Believing otherwise would be embarassingly naive. They can either learn it properly or learn propaganda, half-truths and misinformation. There is no option where kids don't learn about it in the real world.

If not for the internet, which is full of disgusting misinformation regarding sex (along with everything else), then it probably would be preferable to simply teach kids the basics regarding birth control and STDs and then let them go on to figure the rest out on their own in their own ways. Again, the internet is so full of lies that unfortunately schools probably will have to shoulder more of the burden here since American parents almost certainly won't bother.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2022, 12:51:22 AM »

Everybody Except For Me Supports Child Abuse And Murder™

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2022, 12:52:21 AM »

The unadulterated sh**theadness of people trying to defend this law even half heartedly is just ugly as si .
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2022, 12:58:32 AM »

says he supports a bill forcing teachers to out gay and trans kids to their parents

"Why do the libtards keep calling me a bigot???"
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2022, 01:00:40 AM »

Will someone please post that  People  Born with yellow heads stick figure cartoon into this thread?

Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2022, 01:38:33 AM »

If they are going to learn about it regardless, then we shouldn't be mandating this in school. There's always going to be propaganda which is why only one side is in significant support of this. It's propaganda to put it in school. There's going to be half-truths regardless because the topic is controversial. At the end of the day, sht like this is not supposed to be taught in school.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2022, 02:04:05 AM »

Having the moral high ground over people who don't want queer kids to have access to an accepting, supportive place to learn about who they are which many of them would not have otherwise because they put their own discomfort with queer people first.

My life would have been a lot better if I'd learned about trans people and gender dysphoria in kindergarten or even earlier. I'd probably have realized who I really was then and there.
Amanda Huggenkiss
amanda dermichknutscht

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2022, 02:04:57 AM »

One of the vilest things in the debate on this is when conservatives are defending this by presenting the issue of sexual orientation as something that is in the context of general sexual education - if a child is too young to learn about that they say it is too young to learn about gay and lesbian relationships and trans identities. By that, they degrade our relationships by insinuating that being gay has to do something 'with the bedroom', that sexual orientation is like a fetish or a sexual preference when it is much more than that. It's about love, care, family; there is nothing controversial about that which children, to which heterosexual relationships are presented as normal from start, are too young to learn about at any point.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2022, 02:09:04 AM »

Also its laughable to suggest that understanding queerness isn't useful. We exist, and deserve to be respected the same as our non-queer peers.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2022, 02:29:13 AM »

If they are going to learn about it regardless, then we shouldn't be mandating this in school.
I think it's important that kids are taught that black people aren't especially lazy, immigrants aren't disproportionately criminals and gay kids aren't likely to be molesters or rapists. EDUCATING kids at school where they receive their EDUCATION is the goal here.

How is human sexuality propaganda? Are you implying that gay people aren't real or something? I literally don't understand what kind of point you're trying to make. Also, we aren't just talking about the classroom here. We're talking hallways, everything. Should there be a rule that teachers aren't allowed to acknowledge that black students are black? "Those white kids were making fun of me for being black." Teacher: "NO COMMENT." Should there be a rule teachers aren't allowed to acknowledge that immigrant students are immigrants? "How exactly do you see this helping schools operate, or at least, not making things more difficult than they need to be for students who may be facing persecution?

At the end of the day, sht like this is not supposed to be taught in school.
Says who? For what reason is not  "supposed to be taught" (WTF?) in schools? I'm not being hyperbolic. I'm seriously asking.
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2022, 04:18:39 AM »

It's honestly annoying when you righties pretend that you're fighting for moral values in America and all of us are sinners.  You are a bunch of pious jerks, you really are.  You are hypocrites.  The Conservatives have no moral high ground - and no patriotic high ground either.  The stench of your hatred can be smelt all over this nation by all of us in this community.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2022, 04:47:17 AM »

Having the moral high ground over people who don't want queer kids to have access to an accepting, supportive place to learn about who they are which many of them would not have otherwise because they put their own discomfort with queer people first.

My life would have been a lot better if I'd learned about trans people and gender dysphoria in kindergarten or even earlier. I'd probably have realized who I really was then and there.

You can have an accepting and supportive place outside school lmao. School isn't some safehaven for kids

Also its laughable to suggest that understanding queerness isn't useful. We exist, and deserve to be respected the same as our non-queer peers.

Stop virtue signaling by misrepresenting my opinion.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2022, 04:51:34 AM »

You can have an accepting and supportive place outside school lmao. School isn't some safehaven for kids
I'm sure that a lot of kids do. Some don't and kill themselves though, so...
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2022, 04:55:43 AM »

If they are going to learn about it regardless, then we shouldn't be mandating this in school.
I think it's important that kids are taught that black people aren't especially lazy, immigrants aren't disproportionately criminals and gay kids aren't likely to be molesters or rapists. EDUCATING kids at school where they receive their EDUCATION is the goal here.

How is human sexuality propaganda? Are you implying that gay people aren't real or something? I literally don't understand what kind of point you're trying to make. Also, we aren't just talking about the classroom here. We're talking hallways, everything. Should there be a rule that teachers aren't allowed to acknowledge that black students are black? "Those white kids were making fun of me for being black." Teacher: "NO COMMENT." Should there be a rule teachers aren't allowed to acknowledge that immigrant students are immigrants? "How exactly do you see this helping schools operate, or at least, not making things more difficult than they need to be for students who may be facing persecution?

At the end of the day, sht like this is not supposed to be taught in school.
Says who? For what reason is not  "supposed to be taught" (WTF?) in schools? I'm not being hyperbolic. I'm seriously asking.

"I think it's important that kids are taught that black people aren't especially lazy, immigrants aren't disproportionately criminals and gay kids aren't likely to be molesters or rapists. EDUCATING kids at school where they receive their EDUCATION is the goal here."
None of these stereotypes are prevalent in society and need to be taught in class. Society already teaches these things. Just because a few vocal people say sht doesn't mean sht. I don't need someone to teach me in class hip-hop isn't the reason for high crime in inner cities. Adding sht to make people feel better is silly and distracts from the point of K-12.

"How is human sexuality propaganda?"

Because we all know any education you guys want on lgbtq issues will be from a liberal perspective.

"Should there be a rule that teachers aren't allowed to acknowledge that black students are black?"
Maybe.

""Those white kids were making fun of me for being black." Teacher: "NO COMMENT.""

I'm not stopping the stop the bullying movement.

I'm not sure why a teacher has to separate kids from each other. Like why does a teacher need to acknowledge an immigrant as an immigrant in class?

"Says who? For what reason is not  "supposed to be taught" (WTF?) in schools? I'm not being hyperbolic. I'm seriously asking."

I feel like I'm repeating myself at this point
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2022, 04:59:02 AM »

says he supports a bill forcing teachers to out gay and trans kids to their parents

"Why do the libtards keep calling me a bigot???"

This isn't the slam dunk you think it is.

It's honestly annoying when you righties pretend that you're fighting for moral values in America and all of us are sinners.  You are a bunch of pious jerks, you really are.  You are hypocrites.  The Conservatives have no moral high ground - and no patriotic high ground either.  The stench of your hatred can be smelt all over this nation by all of us in this community.

I didn't call you a sinner.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies