Florida's "don't say gay" bill passes state house
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 02:45:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Florida's "don't say gay" bill passes state house
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13
Author Topic: Florida's "don't say gay" bill passes state house  (Read 6100 times)
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2022, 04:59:45 AM »

You can have an accepting and supportive place outside school lmao. School isn't some safehaven for kids
I'm sure that a lot of kids do. Some don't and kill themselves though, so...

And school isn't going to fix that
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2022, 05:04:08 AM »

Because we all know any education you guys want on lgbtq issues will be from a liberal perspective.
I would agree that I don't really prefer my kids being taught some woke version of what LGBTQ is, but on the other hand, it would be a lot worse if my kid is LGBTQ and the adults at his school aren't allowed to say anything about it or acknowledge it in any context whatsoever. Being unable to discuss LBGTQ topics means that discussion of LGBTQ bigotry or discrimination is also off limits. Again, I don't necessarily mean in the classroom. The policy is all encompassing. What if a kid is gay and his parents HATE gay people, and his favourite teacher is gay but unable to mention it casually? How is that kid supposed to have a positive gay role model to contrast the progaganda his parents feed him? Now that I mention it, can a Florida man who is a teacher and married even say the words "my husband" on school property?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2022, 05:05:04 AM »

You can have an accepting and supportive place outside school lmao. School isn't some safehaven for kids
I'm sure that a lot of kids do. Some don't and kill themselves though, so...

And school isn't going to fix that
This is unbelievably ignorant.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2022, 05:18:58 AM »

Because we all know any education you guys want on lgbtq issues will be from a liberal perspective.
I would agree that I don't really prefer my kids being taught some woke version of what LGBTQ is, but on the other hand, it would be a lot worse if my kid is LGBTQ and the adults at his school aren't allowed to say anything about it or acknowledge it in any context whatsoever. Being unable to discuss LBGTQ topics means that discussion of LGBTQ bigotry or discrimination is also off limits. Again, I don't necessarily mean in the classroom. The policy is all encompassing. What if a kid is gay and his parents HATE gay people, and his favourite teacher is gay but unable to mention it casually? How is that kid supposed to have a positive gay role model to contrast the progaganda his parents feed him? Now that I mention it, can a Florida man who is a teacher and married even say the words "my husband" on school property?

prohibiting classroom
22 discussion about sexual orientation or gender identity
23 in certain grade levels or in a specified manner;

3. Classroom instruction by school personnel or third
98 parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur
99 in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age100 appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in
101 accordance with state standards.

I don't see why a child would need to be educated on this at this age and why a teacher would feel the need to mention he's gay/w.e. he identifies as to kids this young. That's more of an issue if anything.

What if a kid is gay and his parents HATE gay people, and his favourite teacher is gay but unable to mention it casually? How is that kid supposed to have a positive gay role model to contrast the progaganda his parents feed him?

This isn't an issue for school to address and a teacher shouldn't be casually mentioning sexuality anyway. I don't see the point unless there's some lecture about the gay rights movement which would make it relevant.

Most of these Republican bills aren't attempts to discriminate against gay people. They just reduce the ability for the woke left to infect the classroom which is what I support.
Amanda Huggenkiss
amanda dermichknutscht

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2022, 05:47:24 AM »

I don't see why a child would need to be educated on this at this age and why a teacher would feel the need to mention he's gay/w.e. he identifies as to kids this young. That's more of an issue if anything.

Why is it exactly that it is totally appropriate for young children to be aware of the existence of consensual romantic relationships between two individuals of a different gender,
but totally inappropriate to learn about and discuss the existence of consensual romantic relationships between two individuals of the same gender?
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2022, 05:49:07 AM »

It's honestly annoying seeing you lefties pretend you have the moral high ground and everyone against you is crazy, insane, phobic, racist, or w.e. your college humanities course lectured you on for 2 grand that semester. Like seriously, who gave you guys this kind of superiority complex? White privilege?

says he supports a bill forcing teachers to out gay and trans kids to their parents

"Why do the libtards keep calling me a bigot???"

This isn't the slam dunk you think it is.

It's honestly annoying seeing you lefties pretend you have the moral high ground and everyone against you is crazy, insane, phobic, racist, or w.e. your college humanities course lectured you on for 2 grand that semester. Like seriously, who gave you guys this kind of superiority complex? White privilege?

It's honestly annoying when you righties pretend that you're fighting for moral values in America and all of us are sinners.  You are a bunch of pious jerks, you really are.  You are hypocrites.  The Conservatives have no moral high ground - and no patriotic high ground either.  The stench of your hatred can be smelt all over this nation by all of us in this community.

I didn't call you a sinner.
I apologize for my recent post attacking you.  It went too far.  I don't think anger is the right way to go about arguing in favor of queer kids in Florida - it's human nature to get angry, but I've become quite enraged lately at the recent attacks on the kids not just in Florida but all across our nation... It's one thing to attack gay adults, but it becomes so much more horrible when it's the kids, and there are so many gay kids in elementary schools all over Florida (and also straight kids being raised by gay couples) that this law is so insidious
but attacking you isn't going to make these kids more accepted at school
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2022, 06:21:51 AM »

Why is it exactly that it is totally appropriate for young children to be aware of the existence of consensual romantic relationships between two individuals of a different gender,
but totally inappropriate to learn about and discuss the existence of consensual romantic relationships between two individuals of the same gender?

When did I say I want 1st graders to learn about boys and girls kissing?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2022, 08:50:48 AM »
« Edited: February 25, 2022, 09:14:23 AM by Person Man »

I mean, strictly taking this point further, it would have been better if someone told my class in the 3rd grade what “gay”  was because the kids were making a bunch of gay jokes not knowing what they were talking about. Looking back at it, it was very embarrassing.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2022, 08:59:01 AM »

I mean, strictly taking this point further, it would have been better if someone told my class in the 3rd grade what “gay” because the kids were making a bunch of gay jokes not knowing what they were talking about. Looking back at it, it was very embarrassing.
kids were making gay jokes at your school in 3rd grade? sounds like a specific problem for you guys there tbh
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2022, 09:05:09 AM »

prohibiting classroom

99 in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age100 appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in

What if a kid is gay and his parents HATE gay people, and his favourite teacher is gay but unable to mention it casually? How is that kid supposed to have a positive gay role model to contrast the progaganda his parents feed him?

This isn't an issue for school to address and a teacher shouldn't be casually mentioning sexuality anyway. I don't see the point unless there's some lecture about the gay rights movement which would make it relevant.

Most of these Republican bills aren't attempts to discriminate against gay people. They just reduce the ability for the woke left to infect the classroom which is what I support.

'Discussion about sexual orientation' includes being straight or inferences about being straight. Should that been banned?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2022, 09:08:18 AM »

I mean, strictly taking this point further, it would have been better if someone told my class in the 3rd grade what “gay” because the kids were making a bunch of gay jokes not knowing what they were talking about. Looking back at it, it was very embarrassing.
kids were making gay jokes at your school in 3rd grade? sounds like a specific problem for you guys there tbh

I'm sure my experience is very common. There should be age-appropriate conversations about these things and of course parents should be able to opt the kids out or even to have parents bring in their own guest speaker about these things. It's never enough to simply tell children not to use vulgar language or parrot vulgar jokes. Kids need to learn that everything a parent and teacher tells them isn't only about controlling them. That's probably why they are so many fucked people today.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2022, 09:48:59 AM »

Not everyone has a place like that outside of school. Giving kids a safe space to understand queerness can only do good things
Stop virtue signaling by misrepresenting my opinion.
You literally said it "wasn't useful".
We shouldn't be teaching sexuality in K-12. Not useful and it's just virtue signaling. Parents care about their kids being productive citizens, learning to read and write, have some skills in order to function as an adult, and simply being kids. This bill doesn't help with any of that.
And it doesn't reflect well on you that you're incapable of seeing someone wanting to make sure queer kids get a safe place to learn about queerness they might not have otherwise as anything but virtue signalling.
Amanda Huggenkiss
amanda dermichknutscht

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2022, 10:14:37 AM »

Hopefully, children have parents who love each other, but good luck to you for trying to prevent your children from knowing that romantic relationships exist.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2022, 10:36:58 AM »

says he supports a bill forcing teachers to out gay and trans kids to their parents

That part of the bill is non longer in : https://www.businessinsider.com/new-dont-say-gay-bill-amendment-forces-staff-to-out-students-2022-2?amp

Anyway I oppose this bill . I instead support moving towards abstinence only education

What does abstinence only education have to do with LGBT or non LGBT identity. What does it have to do with, if were in Texas, banning my nieces mentioning their two uncles?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2022, 10:42:28 AM »

That part of the bill is non longer in : https://www.businessinsider.com/new-dont-say-gay-bill-amendment-forces-staff-to-out-students-2022-2?amp

Anyway I oppose this bill . I instead support moving towards abstinence only education

What does abstinence only education have to do with LGBT or non LGBT identity. What does it have to do with, if were in Texas, banning my nieces mentioning their two uncles?

I said I oppose this bill
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2022, 10:52:55 AM »

How many votes are still out there for gay bashing these days, other than Steve Bannon?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2022, 11:00:10 AM »

This is blatant misinformation. The bill requiring schools to out students to parents is one of the bills that was passed. The bill contains an exception for cases of potential abuse, neglect, and abandonment. The amendment would have removed that exception, but the amendment was withdrawn.

However, there is no foolproof way of proving that there is or isn't potential abuse. If you (in a general sense, I know you don't support this bill OSR) support this bill, you are absolutely supporting something that increases the likelihood of child abuse.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2022, 11:02:29 AM »

This is blatant misinformation. The bill requiring schools to out students to parents is one of the bills that was passed. The bill contains an exception for cases of potential abuse, neglect, and abandonment. The amendment would have removed that exception, but the amendment was withdrawn.

However, there is no foolproof way of proving that there is or isn't potential abuse. If you (in a general sense, I know you don't support this bill OSR) support this bill, you are absolutely supporting something that increases the likelihood of child abuse.

Deleted that post
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2022, 11:05:35 AM »

Jesus Christ, what an ignorant take. I will never forget that day in March of 2020, watching second-graders reacting to the news that school would be closed for (at the time) two weeks. School is absolutely the safest place for many of them. You'd think that the party of opposition to COVID-related school shutdowns would understand this.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2022, 11:12:35 AM »

This isn't the slam dunk you think it is.

Alright I’ll bite. Why? Why isn’t it a slam dunk?

What is the non-bigoted argument for outing kids to their parents?
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2022, 01:53:35 PM »

How many votes are still out there for gay bashing these days, other than Steve Bannon?

Tons of them. There are countless authoritarian puritan parents out there.
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2022, 01:58:19 PM »

Is anyone else baffled as to why Florida, a swing state with a lot of people and a lot of gays too, is doing this?  There were several Republican state representatives that voted against this, and I tried to track down where they were from, but it seems a few Republicans from South Florida voted No on Don't Say Gay.

It just seems odd that Florida would do this before a lot of other states - is there something about Florida's Republican Party that makes it more antigay than other state parties?
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2022, 06:26:02 PM »

prohibiting classroom

'Discussion about sexual orientation' includes being straight or inferences about being straight. Should that been banned?

Did you read the bill
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2022, 06:27:11 PM »

I'm sure my experience is very common. There should be age-appropriate conversations about these things and of course parents should be able to opt the kids out or even to have parents bring in their own guest speaker about these things. It's never enough to simply tell children not to use vulgar language or parrot vulgar jokes. Kids need to learn that everything a parent and teacher tells them isn't only about controlling them. That's probably why they are so many fucked people today.

1st grades learning about gay equality isn't age appropriate
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2022, 06:30:09 PM »

Jesus Christ, what an ignorant take. I will never forget that day in March of 2020, watching second-graders reacting to the news that school would be closed for (at the time) two weeks. School is absolutely the safest place for many of them. You'd think that the party of opposition to COVID-related school shutdowns would understand this.

Wow
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies