Florida's "don't say gay" bill passes state house
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 02:14:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Florida's "don't say gay" bill passes state house
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Author Topic: Florida's "don't say gay" bill passes state house  (Read 6093 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2022, 06:39:36 PM »

I don't see why a child would need to be educated on this at this age and why a teacher would feel the need to mention he's gay/w.e. he identifies as to kids this young. That's more of an issue if anything.

Why is it exactly that it is totally appropriate for young children to be aware of the existence of consensual romantic relationships between two individuals of a different gender,
but totally inappropriate to learn about and discuss the existence of consensual romantic relationships between two individuals of the same gender?

When did I say I want 1st graders to learn about boys and girls kissing?

I mean, strictly taking this point further, it would have been better if someone told my class in the 3rd grade what “gay” because the kids were making a bunch of gay jokes not knowing what they were talking about. Looking back at it, it was very embarrassing.
kids were making gay jokes at your school in 3rd grade? sounds like a specific problem for you guys there tbh

I'm sure my experience is very common. There should be age-appropriate conversations about these things and of course parents should be able to opt the kids out or even to have parents bring in their own guest speaker about these things. It's never enough to simply tell children not to use vulgar language or parrot vulgar jokes. Kids need to learn that everything a parent and teacher tells them isn't only about controlling them. That's probably why they are so many fucked people today.

1st grades learning about gay equality isn't age appropriate

So if a student has two moms or two dads, they should be banned from talking about their parents? Or maybe they are allowed to mention them, but the teacher isn't?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2022, 07:07:36 PM »

Why is it not age appropriate?

Why specifically is it not age appropriate to mention that it used to be not allowed for two men or two women to get married, but now it is?

Most of these kids in school have parents who are married, they know what marriage is.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2022, 07:49:41 PM »

Why specifically is it not age appropriate to mention that it used to be not allowed for two men or two women to get married, but now it is?

Most of these kids in school have parents who are married, they know what marriage is.

Exactly. There’s an appropriate amount of information that is greater than punishing even mentioning that it exists.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2022, 08:05:00 PM »

I don't see why a child would need to be educated on this at this age and why a teacher would feel the need to mention he's gay/w.e. he identifies as to kids this young. That's more of an issue if anything.

Why is it exactly that it is totally appropriate for young children to be aware of the existence of consensual romantic relationships between two individuals of a different gender,
but totally inappropriate to learn about and discuss the existence of consensual romantic relationships between two individuals of the same gender?

I mean, strictly taking this point further, it would have been better if someone told my class in the 3rd grade what “gay” because the kids were making a bunch of gay jokes not knowing what they were talking about. Looking back at it, it was very embarrassing.
kids were making gay jokes at your school in 3rd grade? sounds like a specific problem for you guys there tbh

I'm sure my experience is very common. There should be age-appropriate conversations about these things and of course parents should be able to opt the kids out or even to have parents bring in their own guest speaker about these things. It's never enough to simply tell children not to use vulgar language or parrot vulgar jokes. Kids need to learn that everything a parent and teacher tells them isn't only about controlling them. That's probably why they are so many fucked people today.

So if a student has two moms or two dads, they should be banned from talking about their parents? Or maybe they are allowed to mention them, but the teacher isn't?

I mean there's nothing in the bill stopping an 18 year old student from telling the class "hey i have gay parents".

I don't think it's age appropriate to talk about sexuality with 1st graders and bring it up. In 1st grade you learn simple things. Marriage, love, sexuality, and things like that aren't simple things for a 1st grader. Sure you can teach kids to love everyone. Doesn't mean you need to specify different groups on controversial issues. I'd say the same for straight couples. A 1st grader probably thinks marriage is just two parents. That isn't what you want to teach them about lgbtqs
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2022, 08:13:57 PM »

I mean there's nothing in the bill stopping an 18 year old student from telling the class "hey i have gay parents".

Pretty sure 98% of students in public schools are not yet 18. Are you really so stupid that you thought this was an effective way to dodge the question?
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2022, 08:17:05 PM »

Are you really so stupid that you thought this was an effective way to dodge the question?

Uh, yes?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2022, 09:24:05 PM »

My 1st grade teacher had a boyfriend (who she married a couple years later) and when she mentioned it to the class we all went "ooooh she has a boyfriend". Her dad came into class one time and he helped us out with a project. It's pretty natural that teachers will talk a little bit about their personal lives and keeping a zipper on gay teachers from doing that same thing is ridiculous. They're gonna have students ask if they're married or dating. What good is lying going to do?
Amanda Huggenkiss
amanda dermichknutscht

« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2022, 03:23:16 AM »

As we have seen here, some people either have no clue what children already know (because they, too, are living in our society) and what they are capable of understanding, or they have proven that they are willing to go 1000 extra miles to mask the fact that they don't believe in gay equality.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2022, 05:45:21 AM »
« Edited: February 26, 2022, 06:59:33 AM by Alex »

I don't think it's age appropriate to talk about sexuality with 1st graders and bring it up. In 1st grade you learn simple things. Marriage, love, sexuality, and things like that aren't simple things for a 1st grader. Sure you can teach kids to love everyone. Doesn't mean you need to specify different groups on controversial issues. I'd say the same for straight couples. A 1st grader probably thinks marriage is just two parents. That isn't what you want to teach them about lgbtqs

Do you realize that first graders actually do other stuff other than go to class? Like being with their parents (or their friends' parents and their parents' friends), who may be married or in a relationship? And watching shows and movies about people in romantic relationships (Frozen, Shrek, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and like one third to one half of the shows on Disney/Nick/CN)?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2022, 09:06:38 AM »

As we have seen here, some people either have no clue what children already know (because they, too, are living in our society) and what they are capable of understanding, or they have proven that they are willing to go 1000 extra miles to mask the fact that they don't believe in gay equality.

I mean, if gay and straight people are equal, but only one of those groups is allowed to be discussed in first grade classes, they're not really equal, are they?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2022, 09:15:12 AM »

I mean, if gay and straight people are equal, but only one of those groups is allowed to be discussed in first grade classes, they're not really equal, are they?
Of the people who use the talking point "sexuality shouldn't be discussed in the classroom", I would guess maybe 10% actually believe it and 90% are talking out of their a$$. OBVIOUSLY you will mention marriage or dating or romance or love between two people in SOME sort of context as a teacher at SOME point. As somebody else here pointed out in the last 24 hours, not sure if it was in this thread, kids like Shrek and Frozen and the MCU... all of which have "sexuality" (romance, dating, marriage) in them. So kids are internalizing information on sexuality from a ridiculously young age. Not sex, sexuality. Two different things. They know what kissing is and that it's a romantic type of thing. What 90% of the people who use this talking point ACTUALLY mean is "kids shouldn't know that not all sexuality is hetero-normal". What they really mean is  "actually, it IS okay to talk about sexuality to children in school, but only hetero-normative sexuality". So, basically training children to think that LGTBQ is "not normal". Which will lead to a lot of kids questioning if it's "not okay", since a lot of "not normal" things are also "not okay". SOME of these people even understand everything I just said and agree with it. They HOPE their child assumes it's "not okay" and they want the schools to keep pushing childrens' minds in this direction.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2022, 01:32:31 PM »

The kids are alright.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2022, 01:33:08 PM »

The kids are alright.

Let’s Go Dennis!
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2022, 12:38:02 PM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2022, 02:10:34 PM »

The kids are alright.

While I don't disagree with the sentiment, that's trashy. It's sad what Trump did to our culture.
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2022, 02:51:45 PM »

The gay movement should be led by the gay kids of today - this is what happens to many movements, the youth assume the leadership roles.  What a proud day for all of us in the Rainbow community to see these kids have the kind of courage we only wish we could have had when we were young too. 

All gay men were once gay boys - yes, even in elementary school - and gay boys should be fully free to talk about their crushes (even if it's on Jonny Quest) without being told they have to be silenced.

This bill is Statist Garbage.  From a conservative viewpoint, it's downright Commie.  Censorship is out of control.  FREEDOM OF SPEECH is the American way.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2022, 02:59:05 PM »

These are issues for PARENTS to convey to kids, not teachers.

Whether that is right or wrong is the role of the PARENT to teach.  Not the school.  And not some teacher with a political agenda.  (The pandemic has certainly brought out in the open the naked political agendas that many, many public school teachers seek to advance through "teaching" OUR children (not THEIR children, but OURS).  

Our youngest son is 16 years old.  He's grown up in a Christian environment, where he's not been in a Public school since 5th grade.  He has secular activities where kids have LGBTQ parents who are openly LGBTQ.  We have taught him what the Bible says on homosexuality (and, indeed, about what it says on ALL sexual activity outside that between a man and woman married to each other).  We have also taught him that not everyone he meets in the secular World is going to be a Christian and we have informed him about SSM and such.  Lastly, we have taught him boundaries; it's not his job to correct others.  It's his job to do the right thing for himself, first.

If my tax dollars are not going to be used to spread the Gospel or facilitating Christian prayer in school, they ought not be used to affirm doctrines that run counter to Scripture, no matter what public opinion says, because even if you avoid all such people like me, there are millions and millions of Americans that believe as I do.  This is not education; this is indoctrination and indoctrination by teachers who are members of a union with a wide-ranging political agenda that wish to indoctrinate students so that their agenda can someday come to pass.  That's called "being a user of people".  There's really nothing noble about this; it is an attack against the rights of parents, it places public education in direct conflict with religion (and not just taking a neutral posture) and it is indoctrination of young school students worthy of authoritarian societies.  It is unjustifiable by any standard.  My son is now homeschooled, and he's beyond the ages that this bill affects.  I will resist this on behalf of those kids who are still in pulbic schools whose parents are not in the posision of having other options with which to teach their children.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2022, 03:07:34 PM »

If my tax dollars are not going to be used to spread the Gospel or facilitating Christian prayer in school, they ought not be used to affirm doctrines that run counter to Scripture, no matter what public opinion says

I do agree with this, Fuzzy, but this does not preclude the school's responsibility to educate students about gay issues at some point. Teaching a kid about the facts of Christian doctrine and its effects on our society should be a basic element of schooling, as should teaching kids about the existence of LGBT people. Do you think it's possible for schools to prepare students for life in the real world without at some point exposing them to these ideas?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2022, 04:31:43 PM »

This is why Crist is even with DeSantis in the polls it can pass if Crist becomes Gov, but some users think DeSantis is superhuman like Trump and can't be beaten yes they can, as we see as DeJear only 8 pts behind Reynolds, anyone can be beaten at any given time we thought in 2010 we were untouchable in the H and Rs won 54 seats and then Rs thought the samething in 2018 and H changed hands again
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2022, 07:05:48 PM »

"If you don't supporting completely banning the mention of LGBTQ in schools, then you're brainwashing our kids into becoming gay (and it's disgusting to do that). You need to stop preventing us from brainwashing our kids into becoming straight (which is the moral thing to do)."

Now watch DeSantis in the next 72 hours twist himself into a Circque Du Soliel pretzel explaining how the above "isn't homophobic".
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2022, 07:14:34 PM »

If my tax dollars are not going to be used to spread the Gospel or facilitating Christian prayer in school, they ought not be used to affirm doctrines that run counter to Scripture, no matter what public opinion says

I do agree with this, Fuzzy, but this does not preclude the school's responsibility to educate students about gay issues at some point. Teaching a kid about the facts of Christian doctrine and its effects on our society should be a basic element of schooling, as should teaching kids about the existence of LGBT people. Do you think it's possible for schools to prepare students for life in the real world without at some point exposing them to these ideas?
But schools already do that. I went to school in bleeding heart NY and they taught about the historical significance of Christianity. The idea that gay people’s mere existence should be denied because schools don’t force certain religious down peoples throats is just a classic example of a reactionary authoritarian viewpoint trying to disguise itself as the victim
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2022, 07:31:18 PM »

But schools already do that. I went to school in bleeding heart NY and they taught about the historical significance of Christianity. The idea that gay people’s mere existence should be denied because schools don’t force certain religious down peoples throats is just a classic example of a reactionary authoritarian viewpoint trying to disguise itself as the victim

I know-- my school did the same, and I didn't complain. The only person who seems to be complaining about kids being exposed to differing viewpoints is Fuzzy.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2022, 03:40:02 AM »

I know-- my school did the same, and I didn't complain. The only person who seems to be complaining about kids being exposed to differing viewpoints is Fuzzy.

Christian fundamentalists believe we need to go out of our way to avoid hurting their feelings.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2022, 07:18:10 AM »

Christian fundamentalists believe we need to go out of our way to avoid hurting their feelings.

No, that's not what we think.  We do believe that what children learn in their public schools ought not be a frontal assault on Scriptural teachings, but that is exactly what the proponents of this law want.

Let parents raise this issue with their own children, especially the age groups of children covered in this bill.  What's wrong with that, other than not every family will provide the information others demand the children receive.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2022, 08:09:08 AM »

I have this fantasy of you two working on a joint syllabus "teaching the facts of Christian doctrine." When you get done please send me a copy. Thank you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies