Florida's "don't say gay" bill passes state house
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:49:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Florida's "don't say gay" bill passes state house
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]
Author Topic: Florida's "don't say gay" bill passes state house  (Read 5989 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: March 13, 2022, 06:09:03 PM »

Pretending "demisexuality" is a unique or out-of-the-ordinary sexual orientation, and a marginalized one at that, is silly.

That statement is true, but I've never met nor even heard of anyone who does that.

Are you getting hot and bothered over some #online social media thing again?

I'm participating in a conversation with other people. I really wish Democrats would stop trying to gaslight everybody into thinking that every weird thing on the left doesn't exist. It's a big part of why your party is so intolerable.

It's remarkable how in every thread about the Republicans introducing some evil legislation, we have to be reminded that Democrats are a little bit annoying sometimes.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #301 on: March 13, 2022, 06:21:41 PM »

Pretending "demisexuality" is a unique or out-of-the-ordinary sexual orientation, and a marginalized one at that, is silly.

That statement is true, but I've never met nor even heard of anyone who does that.

I'm participating in a conversation with other people. I really wish Democrats would stop trying to gaslight everybody into thinking that every weird thing on the left doesn't exist. It's a big part of why your party is so intolerable.

I'm gaslighting when I say I don't know anybody who "pretending "demisexuality" is a unique or out-of-the-ordinary sexual orientation"? That's a new one...
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #302 on: March 13, 2022, 06:23:21 PM »

As a general rule, people who exist on the internet also tend to exist in real life.

I think it's pretty well established that Twitter is full of grandstanders and provocateurs. The idea that there is any significant movement on "the Left" to classify "demisexuals" as another letter in the LGBTQ community is laughably out of touch with reality.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #303 on: March 13, 2022, 06:58:45 PM »

I put Harry on ignore not too long ago. I've found him to be one of the most ardent and hackish defenders of his political party on this forum.
Klobmentum Mutilated Herself
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -8.35

« Reply #304 on: March 13, 2022, 07:01:26 PM »

I think it's pretty well established that Twitter is full of grandstanders and provocateurs. The idea that there is any significant movement on "the Left" to classify "demisexuals" as another letter in the LGBTQ community is laughably out of touch with reality.
Demisexuals are already included in the A of LGBTQIA, since they're considered to be a part of the asexual spectrum. But you're correct that nobody, including asexual people, considers them to be oppressed in the sake way as the Ls, Gs, Bs, Ts, or Is. Trans kids are being literally kidnapped by the state, forcibly detransitioning, and having the people who actually support them arrested, whereas ace people are generally just annoyed at how sex-obsessed society is and how people treat them as weirdos for not experiencing sexual attraction (which does kinda put them at odds with the radical sex positivity of the much of the LGBTQ community), but again, they don't claim they're oppressed.

Why the homophobic and transphobic lobby is picking a fight with ace people is beyond me. Why do you care if people call themselves demisexual when that is, in fact, an accurate descriptor of their sexuality, or lack thereof? And even if it wasn't, why would anyone even care?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #305 on: March 13, 2022, 08:00:01 PM »

I put Harry on ignore not too long ago. I've found him to be one of the most ardent and hackish defenders of his political party on this forum.

Probably for the best. At least this way you won't make up fake quotes, claim I said them, and then get all pissy and defensive when I point out that I didn't say them and don't believe them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #306 on: March 13, 2022, 09:04:52 PM »

As a general rule, people who exist on the internet also tend to exist in real life.

Does GLAAD count?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #307 on: March 13, 2022, 09:10:46 PM »

The Twitter weirdos of today are the leftist leaders of tomorrow. The same was true for Tumblr 15 years ago-- and 4Chan for the right, for that matter.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #308 on: March 13, 2022, 09:44:56 PM »

It's remarkable how in every thread about the Republicans introducing some evil legislation, we have to be reminded that Democrats are a little bit annoying sometimes.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #309 on: March 13, 2022, 10:16:39 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2022, 10:23:15 PM by Hindsight was 2020 »

I find it weird that throughout this threads discussion that the fact the person behind the bill is a state senator who is a notorious homophobe who has supported conversion therapy in the past hasn’t come up
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #310 on: March 13, 2022, 10:21:00 PM »

Does GLAAD count?

GLAAD considers "demisexuals" to be marginalized, unique, and out of the ordinary?
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #311 on: March 13, 2022, 11:16:35 PM »

Does GLAAD count?

GLAAD considers "demisexuals" to be marginalized, unique, and out of the ordinary?

Apparently
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #312 on: March 13, 2022, 11:25:33 PM »

Does GLAAD count?

Apparently

That's the best you can do? I'm inviting you to prove me wrong, got my gracious "ah-ha, you got me!" all prepared, and you can't even give link me a damn link?
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #313 on: March 13, 2022, 11:29:13 PM »

Does GLAAD count?

Apparently

That's the best you can do? I'm inviting you to prove me wrong, got my gracious "ah-ha, you got me!" all prepared, and you can't even give link me a damn link?

They include it under the asexual spectrum, which they include in the LGBTQIA acronym.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #314 on: March 13, 2022, 11:35:29 PM »

Does GLAAD count?

Apparently

They include it under the asexual spectrum, which they include in the LGBTQIA acronym.

I'm going to need a link, and a link where GLAAD states that "demisexuals" are marginalized, unique, and out of the ordinary.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #315 on: March 13, 2022, 11:42:34 PM »

Does GLAAD count?

Apparently

I'm going to need a link, and a link where GLAAD states that "demisexuals" are marginalized, unique, and out of the ordinary.

Unless GLAAD doesn't believe that asexuals are marginalized, unique, and out of the ordinary, then they do. If GLAAD doesn't believe that about asexuals, then I'd be surprised, but I'd stand corrected.

As for the links, there's plenty of information on GLAAD's website about asexuality and demisexuality if you care to read it, but I already know that you're not going to accept the links I share so I'm not going to bother. 
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #316 on: March 14, 2022, 12:37:22 AM »

Does GLAAD count?

Apparently

Unless GLAAD doesn't believe that asexuals are marginalized, unique, and out of the ordinary, then they do. If GLAAD doesn't believe that about asexuals, then I'd be surprised, but I'd stand corrected.

As for the links, there's plenty of information on GLAAD's website about asexuality and demisexuality if you care to read it, but I already know that you're not going to accept the links I share so I'm not going to bother. 

What the hell is this? I already said I was itching to declare you right and me wrong. Do you think if you sent me a link from GLAAD's webpage that said "Demisexuals are marginalized, unique, and out of the ordinary" I'd be like "uh, no they don't actually say that..." like some kind of raving fool? Show me where they say that. I genuinely am curious.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #317 on: March 14, 2022, 12:52:56 AM »

Does GLAAD count?

Apparently

What the hell is this? I already said I was itching to declare you right and me wrong. Do you think if you sent me a link from GLAAD's webpage that said "Demisexuals are marginalized, unique, and out of the ordinary" I'd be like "uh, no they don't actually say that..." like some kind of raving fool? Show me where they say that. I genuinely am curious.

They discuss demisexuality in their asexual awareness articles. They don't say "Demisexuals are marginalized, unique, and out of the ordinary" in those exact words, but unless you believe that GLAAD does not think of asexuality in those terms then the implication is clear.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #318 on: March 14, 2022, 01:01:45 AM »

Asexuals are in fact marginalized--either you're treated like you're broken or defective by friends and family--essentially ostracized because you aren't horny for everything that moves--or assumed to be gay, and face what comes with that.

My parents threatened to send me to therapists to fix what they felt was wrong with me (some "late bloomer" garbage) until I lied and hid it behind a no sex before marriage moral objection. At school people unilaterally decided I was gay, which resulted in various levels of harassments and threats which are not appropriate to go into detail here. Literally not one person believed I simply didn't have sexual desires without feeling it meant I was broken or defective, and treating me as if I was mentally deficient.

Regarding demisexual, a two second google brought up a page saying it's "halfway between sexual and asexual" which I can't particularly make sense of, but to each their own. But having a definition there does not equal treating it as a marginalized group, as much as people wanting to have more personalized things to call themselves rather than falling under an umbrella. Again, I can't makes sense of this (I grew up in the 'don't label me' generation) but it's certainly being blown out of proportion.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #319 on: March 14, 2022, 11:37:43 AM »

Can't believe it's now illegal to say gay in Florida
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #320 on: March 14, 2022, 02:50:09 PM »

Can't believe it's now illegal to say gay in Florida
That's Republican small government libertarianism for you.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #321 on: March 14, 2022, 03:36:21 PM »

It's the Democratic Party's fault that Harry doesn't hang out in the same social circles as you?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #322 on: June 11, 2022, 12:20:20 PM »

https://us.cnn.com/videos/politics/2022/06/09/dont-say-gay-florida-family-orig-kj-mss.cnn

Interesting video (watch link above).
I don't see any reason why a short introduction/lesson to young children, regarding families with two dads/moms would harm anyone. If anything it benefits all kids involved.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #323 on: June 11, 2022, 03:32:21 PM »

https://us.cnn.com/videos/politics/2022/06/09/dont-say-gay-florida-family-orig-kj-mss.cnn

Interesting video (watch link above).
I don't see any reason why a short introduction/lesson to young children, regarding families with two dads/moms would harm anyone. If anything it benefits all kids involved.

Anything that encourages LGBTQ people to be open and vocal is against what Republicans want for the country. Whatever makes them quiet, invisible or leaving is preferable.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #324 on: June 11, 2022, 03:41:46 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2022, 03:44:47 PM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

The Twitter weirdos of today are the leftist leaders of tomorrow. The same was true for Tumblr 15 years ago-- and 4Chan for the right, for that matter.

No. The leaders of tomorrow are mostly the same people they've always been (the increasing dominance of gerontocracy means they're often exactly the same people), and the aesthetics they rock are mostly disingenuous.

This may change as the political system grows more unstable, but I'd argue it hasn't really yet. The post-Trump "populist" right is increasingly dominated by people who disagree on messaging tactics, not strategy - the tension comes because the old guard are going to lose their jobs, not because the new guard aren't corporate stooges. You can say the same about most of the very online Democratic Representatives, too.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies