Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:17:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 555 556 557 558 559 [560] 561 562 563 564 565 ... 1172
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 931893 times)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13975 on: September 08, 2022, 03:20:15 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/09/07/ukraine-kherson-offensive-casualties-ammunition/

"Wounded Ukrainian soldiers reveal steep toll of Kherson offensive"

The soldiers said they lacked the artillery needed to dislodge Russia's entrenched forces and described a yawning technology gap with their better-equipped adversaries. 

"We lost five people for every one they did," said Ihor, a 30-year-old platoon commander who injured his back when the tank he was riding in crashed into a ditch.

Russian electronic warfare also posed a constant threat. Soldiers described ending their shifts and turning on their phones to call or text family members — a decision that immediately drew Russian artillery fire.

To be fair this article also points out which is old news
In a statement on Monday, a Kremlin-backed occupation authority said that plans for a staged referendum in the Kherson region, a precursor to Russian annexation, were put on hold due to security issues. The Russian statement was later walked back, but it gave the Ukrainians optimism and suggested that, at the least, the counteroffensive was causing some disarray for the Russians.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13976 on: September 08, 2022, 03:24:59 PM »

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/9/7/almost-all-ukrainian-grain-reaching-european-nations-putin

"‘Almost all’ Ukrainian grain reaching European nations: Putin"

Putin claims that the Ukraine grain export deal over the Black Sea which was meant for the Third World ended up in the EU.   I guess this is an opening gambit to perhaps reverse the deal.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13977 on: September 08, 2022, 03:28:30 PM »

Russian source map on Ukraine offensive in Kharkov area.  The encirclement operation seems to be in full swing with some distance to go

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13978 on: September 08, 2022, 03:28:44 PM »

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/9/7/almost-all-ukrainian-grain-reaching-european-nations-putin

Putin claims that the Ukraine grain export deal over the Black Sea which was meant for the Third World ended up in the EU.   I guess this is an opening gambit to perhaps reverse the deal.
Could he be trying to win more soft power support in the Third World by painting Ukraine as dishonest?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13979 on: September 08, 2022, 03:55:22 PM »

Could he be trying to win more soft power
 support in the Third World by painting Ukraine as dishonest?

With Putin you never know.  This could be true and he is trying to gain points with the Third World and squeeze EU at the same time. OR this is not true and he is making it up to try to back out of the Ukraine grain export deal.  Both are possible.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13980 on: September 08, 2022, 04:16:08 PM »

Definitely the biggest development in the war since Russia pulled out of the north.  The spectrum of possible outcomes is huge right now, we just have to see where the chips land.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13981 on: September 08, 2022, 04:20:11 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2022, 04:31:31 PM by Storr »

More grateful civilians:

Twitter comments say the soldiers and locals are both speaking Russian, which is fits for Kharkiv Oblast (44.3% Russian speaking in the 2001 Census).

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #13982 on: September 08, 2022, 04:44:53 PM »

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13983 on: September 08, 2022, 04:59:37 PM »

That's Baghdad Bob level stuff.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13984 on: September 08, 2022, 05:07:42 PM »

https://bulgarianmilitary.com/amp/2022/09/08/polands-vice-minister-of-defense-expects-war-with-russia/

"Poland’s Vice-Minister of Defense expects war with Russia"

To be clear he said in 3 to 10 years
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13985 on: September 08, 2022, 06:03:43 PM »

Also rumblings that Ukraine has taken Hrushivka as well 👀
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13986 on: September 08, 2022, 07:37:35 PM »

Alright. So I have been carefully assessing what has been going on the past 10 days without making any bold analysis. And to be honest, I still view this as a standstill or a tug of war.

Yes, it is a totally rational and not at all trollish response to an overwhelming slew of reports about downright sweeping Ukrainian advances to consider this offensive "a standstill". Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13987 on: September 08, 2022, 07:43:38 PM »

Insert Nelson Munce haha gif
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13988 on: September 08, 2022, 07:46:55 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2022, 08:34:30 PM by Badger »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/09/07/ukraine-kherson-offensive-casualties-ammunition/

The soldiers said they lacked the artillery needed to dislodge Russia's entrenched forces and described a yawning technology gap with their better-equipped adversaries.

"We lost five people for every one they did," said Ihor, a 30-year-old platoon commander who injured his back when the tank he was riding in crashed into a ditch.

Russian electronic warfare also posed a constant threat. Soldiers described ending their shifts and turning on their phones to call or text family members — a decision that immediately drew Russian artillery fire.

In a statement on Monday, a Kremlin-backed occupation authority said that plans for a staged referendum in the Kherson region, a precursor to Russian annexation, were put on hold due to security issues. The Russian statement was later walked back, but it gave the Ukrainians optimism and suggested that, at the least, the counteroffensive was causing some disarray for the Russians.

Count on " I believe might makes right" Slytherchind to always root for the most profoundly evil forces out there.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13989 on: September 08, 2022, 07:49:22 PM »

I read there are up to 20,000 Russian soldiers currently west of the Dneiper posted in and around Kherson.  If Ukraine succeeds in trapping them in a mini-Operation Uranus, and eventually forces them to surrender, how would that impact the rest of the war in Ukraine?  I see it personally as a turning point.  Even with the bottom-of-the-barrel reinforcements Putin is sending to Ukraine, he still won't have enough to maintain Russia's conquests in the east, and will be lucky to retain Crimea when this is all over.  
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

« Reply #13990 on: September 08, 2022, 08:44:46 PM »

I read there are up to 20,000 Russian soldiers currently west of the Dneiper posted in and around Kherson.  If Ukraine succeeds in trapping them in a mini-Operation Uranus, and eventually forces them to surrender, how would that impact the rest of the war in Ukraine?  I see it personally as a turning point.  Even with the bottom-of-the-barrel reinforcements Putin is sending to Ukraine, he still won't have enough to maintain Russia's conquests in the east, and will be lucky to retain Crimea when this is all over.  

If Ukraine is able to retake Crimea at any point in the next year or so, that might be enough for Putin to trip and “fall” out a window. That would be such a monumental blow to him and his regime. If the Ukrainians are able to capture even half of the forces west of the Dnipro then the possibility of retaking the peninsula would go up exponentially. Let’s hope it happens.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #13991 on: September 08, 2022, 08:58:11 PM »

Smart move, in light of the current circumstances. Vovchansk is literally 7 kilometers from the Russian border:

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13992 on: September 08, 2022, 09:28:57 PM »

In a statement on Monday, a Kremlin-backed occupation authority said that plans for a staged referendum in the Kherson region, a precursor to Russian annexation, were put on hold due to security issues. The Russian statement was later walked back, but it gave the Ukrainians optimism and suggested that, at the least, the counteroffensive was causing some disarray for the Russians.

Thank you for not crediting me for an article which I had posted upthread.

I attempt to at least review other posters updates prior to posting on topics, but I'll give you a "hall pass" on this one, since you do provide quite a bit of decent content, especially involving the financial and the "Macro-Economics" involved and arguably from a really solid perspective there.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #13993 on: September 08, 2022, 09:45:14 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2022, 09:54:35 PM by Storr »

The one old man who was on his knees got to me:

Thanks to smart people on the internet, the location of this video has already been geolocated and it's in Borivske, 19km (13km as the crow flies) from Kupyansk:

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13994 on: September 08, 2022, 11:37:46 PM »

Hello

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #13995 on: September 09, 2022, 12:20:35 AM »

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13996 on: September 09, 2022, 01:26:55 AM »

Off to The Hague hopefully!

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13997 on: September 09, 2022, 01:49:22 AM »

Does Ukraine have any major hostages it could demand in exchange?
Logical

« Reply #13998 on: September 09, 2022, 02:38:51 AM »

TOP SECRET UKRAINIAN PLAN FOR THE KHARKIV OFFENSIVE FOUND ON A DONATED GERMAN PZH 2000
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13999 on: September 09, 2022, 04:12:12 AM »

Thank you for not crediting me for an article which I had posted upthread.

I attempt to at least review other posters updates prior to posting on topics, but I'll give you a "hall pass" on this one, since you do provide quite a bit of decent content, especially involving the financial and the "Macro-Economics" involved and arguably from a really solid perspective there.

Oh, sorry about that.  I must have missed it.  My mistake.
Pages: 1 ... 555 556 557 558 559 [560] 561 562 563 564 565 ... 1172  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies