Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:11:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 216 217 218 219 220 [221] 222 223 224 225 226 ... 1172
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 931628 times)
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5500 on: March 03, 2022, 01:34:19 PM »

Moldova has now applied to join the EU.

How likely is this to succeed?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #5501 on: March 03, 2022, 01:40:10 PM »

Hmm.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5502 on: March 03, 2022, 01:44:35 PM »

Extensive German polling numbers on Ukraine conflict and support for sanctions, new defense arrangements etc.:

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=379760.msg8507122#msg8507122

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=379760.msg8507144#msg8507144
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5503 on: March 03, 2022, 01:44:46 PM »

Russia has drawn up plans for public executions in Ukraine as and when cities are captured by Russian troops, Bloomberg reports.

Bloomberg cites a European intelligence official as saying that Moscow has drafted strategies to break morale in order to discourage Ukrainians from fighting back as cities fall under the Kremlin’s control.

The official said Moscow plans to crack down on protest, detain opponents and potentially carry out public executions, the news agency writes.

Bloomberg is paywalled so linking to the Guardian citation

Just in case anyone is still on the ‘Just let Russia have it’ bandwagon, I think it’s good to remind everyone what that means.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2022/mar/03/ukraine-news-russia-war-vladimir-putin-biden-latest-live-updates-kherson-kyiv-kharkiv-refugees-russian-invasion

It seems very obvious that will just harden Ukrainian's resolve, right?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5504 on: March 03, 2022, 01:50:00 PM »

Russia has drawn up plans for public executions in Ukraine as and when cities are captured by Russian troops, Bloomberg reports.

Bloomberg cites a European intelligence official as saying that Moscow has drafted strategies to break morale in order to discourage Ukrainians from fighting back as cities fall under the Kremlin’s control.

The official said Moscow plans to crack down on protest, detain opponents and potentially carry out public executions, the news agency writes.

Bloomberg is paywalled so linking to the Guardian citation

Just in case anyone is still on the ‘Just let Russia have it’ bandwagon, I think it’s good to remind everyone what that means.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2022/mar/03/ukraine-news-russia-war-vladimir-putin-biden-latest-live-updates-kherson-kyiv-kharkiv-refugees-russian-invasion

It seems very obvious that will just harden Ukrainian's resolve, right?
The L in Russia stands for learning from mistakes in Afghanistan.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5505 on: March 03, 2022, 01:56:42 PM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5506 on: March 03, 2022, 01:58:46 PM »

That’s a dead 2-star general
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #5507 on: March 03, 2022, 02:05:43 PM »

Zelenskyy owns Putin big time:

sting in the rafters
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #5508 on: March 03, 2022, 02:19:15 PM »

In addition to the questions of "will BDS actions cripple the Russian war machine's ability to fight before Ukraine succumbs?", we must ask:

1. Is a 1-2% chance of hundreds of millions dead in nuclear war should NATO directly intervene via institution of a no-fly zone worth preventing an >80% chance of the Russian military murdering tens of thousands of innocent Ukrainians in cold blood?

2. If yes to #1, do we want to place faith in the Russian General Staff to refuse relaying any launch signals to their submarines should Putin throw a hissy fit and goes full I Am Legend?

I can admit I am too much of a coward to answer those questions. I can only hope our leaders are up to the task.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5509 on: March 03, 2022, 02:37:54 PM »

In addition to the questions of "will BDS actions cripple the Russian war machine's ability to fight before Ukraine succumbs?", we must ask:

1. Is a 1-2% chance of hundreds of millions dead in nuclear war should NATO directly intervene via institution of a no-fly zone worth preventing an >80% chance of the Russian military murdering tens of thousands of innocent Ukrainians in cold blood?

2. If yes to #1, do we want to place faith in the Russian General Staff to refuse relaying any launch signals to their submarines should Putin throw a hissy fit and goes full I Am Legend?

I can admit I am too much of a coward to answer those questions. I can only hope our leaders are up to the task.

If this was just about now, it isn’t but I think it is.
ugabug
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.61, S: -4.35

« Reply #5510 on: March 03, 2022, 02:45:46 PM »

What do you'll think are the odds that Putin ends up being deposed and who are the most likely candidate's to replace him?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #5511 on: March 03, 2022, 02:50:55 PM »

What do you'll think are the odds that Putin ends up being deposed and who are the most likely candidate's to replace him?

The latest betting odds on  Zelensky being Prez of Ukraine as of April 22nd, 2022 is 54/46.  The odds on Putin being Perz of Russia as of Dec 31 2022 is 78/22.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5512 on: March 03, 2022, 02:54:52 PM »

Very good numbers.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #5513 on: March 03, 2022, 03:09:03 PM »

I like this message from Blinken.

AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

« Reply #5514 on: March 03, 2022, 03:10:40 PM »

I agree. If Putin gets away with what he is doing in Ukraine, what is stopping him from going into Moldova next? Then deciding he can go after the Baltic States? There is going to have to be a confrontation at some point and I think that MAD will stop the war from going nuclear, but even a 1% chance is a frightening proposition.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5515 on: March 03, 2022, 03:14:51 PM »

I think he stops at Ukraine, but I'd be very doubtful he tries for a NATO state.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5516 on: March 03, 2022, 03:16:24 PM »

I agree. If Putin gets away with what he is doing in Ukraine, what is stopping him from going into Moldova next? Then deciding he can go after the Baltic States?

Running things on the old Jingo Scale, he does have ships, but he's running out of men and running out of money too.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #5517 on: March 03, 2022, 03:16:47 PM »

I agree. If Putin gets away with what he is doing in Ukraine, what is stopping him from going into Moldova next? Then deciding he can go after the Baltic States? There is going to have to be a confrontation at some point and I think that MAD will stop the war from going nuclear, but even a 1% chance is a frightening proposition.

If Putin tries to invade the Baltic States, it's pretty clear that NATO will annihilate his invasion force within days given how incompetent his military is. This situation might actually make the Russians more likely to use nuclear weapons, so I say it's best to do everything we can, short of sending in troops, to make sure Russia gets stopped at Ukraine.  
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #5518 on: March 03, 2022, 03:33:47 PM »

I think he stops at Ukraine, but I'd be very doubtful he tries for a NATO state.

Not sure, history has shown that appeasement never worked. The West should have been more forceful in 2014 already, and Putin way too long got away with cyber war, election interference and ordered killings in European cities. The lackluster responses to all these violation and the pathetic attempts by some German politicians - including from my own party - to get Norstream 2 done at all cost just emboldened him. He needs a clear stop sign now, and if he doesn't back down, needs to learn it the hard way. He has already ruined the Russian economy for years.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5519 on: March 03, 2022, 03:35:54 PM »

The reason I'm doubtful he'd try for a NATO state is because he knows it would mean the end. That wasn't the case in the 40s.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #5520 on: March 03, 2022, 03:40:11 PM »

If I'm correct, a new report from the Institute for The Study of War should be dropping soon.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #5521 on: March 03, 2022, 03:54:19 PM »

An NFZ isn’t pressure or support, it’s declaring war. The chances of a US-Russia war going nuclear is well above 1%.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5522 on: March 03, 2022, 03:58:56 PM »

nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #5523 on: March 03, 2022, 04:02:18 PM »

Good riddance.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #5524 on: March 03, 2022, 04:05:04 PM »

RT UK has gone off air as well - the feed came from EU member Luxembourg. Ofcom were looking at a load of complaints as well.
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 218 219 220 [221] 222 223 224 225 226 ... 1172  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies