Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 05:15:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... 1171
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 919684 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1850 on: February 24, 2022, 03:56:51 AM »

The video, omg. I hope s/he makes it.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #1851 on: February 24, 2022, 03:58:43 AM »

Just waking up to this absolutely awful news. It makes my blood boil that so many innocent people are going to die for no good reason other than the insanity of one very deeply evil man. I can only offer my sincerest best wishes to the people of Ukraine.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1852 on: February 24, 2022, 04:02:44 AM »

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1853 on: February 24, 2022, 04:04:46 AM »

There isn't going to be a Ukrainian nation by the time it gets accepted into the UN.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1854 on: February 24, 2022, 04:05:54 AM »

It is particularly sad to read that. Uman for example is a place where in 1941, Russian and Ukrainian soldiers fought together side by side and were encircled by the early German advance into the Soviet Union. And now some of their grandsons/great grandsons are attacking their other grandsons/great grandsons, in the same places.

For shame.
This may as well be the war in a nutshell. Two peoples who together basically dominated the Soviet Union's upper echelons now at war with each other, fighting partially with weapons from that time, on ground they once defended together.
The collapse of the Soviet Union was the biggest reordering to the geopolitical order in Eastern Europe since the Partitions of Poland.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1855 on: February 24, 2022, 04:07:50 AM »

Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1856 on: February 24, 2022, 04:07:51 AM »

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1857 on: February 24, 2022, 04:12:49 AM »

Zelensky is a great guy. I hope he survives this war politically. Even if Ukraine gets carved up, it wouldn't be his fault, but rather the sum of decades of growing mistrust between Putin and American administrations.
Ukraine is but one chess piece without much autonomy on the world stage overall.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1858 on: February 24, 2022, 04:13:18 AM »

Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1859 on: February 24, 2022, 04:15:42 AM »

FT: Ukraine reports battles with Russian forces in east and south
Ukraine has reported fierce battles with invading Russian forces from eastern and southern regions of the country.

“Four tanks of the Russian occupiers were burnt on the bypass road of Kharkiv” and eastern Ukrainian city close to the Russian border, the general staff of Ukraine’s armed forces said in a statement on Thursday.

“About 50 Russian occupiers were killed in the Schastya area” of eastern Ukraine north of Russian-backed separatist stronghold Luhansk.

“In addition, another plane of the armed forces of the Russian Federation was destroyed in the Kramatorsk region. This is the sixth,” the statement read.

Meanwhile, Ukraine’s border guard service said that Russian helicopters are firing at Ukrainian servicemen in the southern Black Sea town of Skadovsk, killing three border guards and wounding others.

“Despite this, border guards are fighting the occupier,” the border guard service said in the statement.

The service said other battles were under way in other parts of the southern Kherson region bordering the Russian-occupied Crimean peninsula.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1860 on: February 24, 2022, 04:16:01 AM »

Why are the Ukrainians so badly spread at the northern border? no contact with Russian columns moving in
Yoda
United States

« Reply #1861 on: February 24, 2022, 04:16:33 AM »

There isn't going to be a Ukrainian nation by the time it gets accepted into the UN.

My thought as well this seems just a weeee bit late to have any meaning.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #1862 on: February 24, 2022, 04:20:44 AM »

Why are the Ukrainians so badly spread at the northern border? no contact with Russian columns moving in
From Poland east to Luhansk, Ukraine's northern border with Belarus and Russia is 1,200 kilometers. That's nearly impossible to defend everywhere when you're also facing attack from the east and south as well.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1863 on: February 24, 2022, 04:23:06 AM »

From Poland east to Luhansk, Ukraine's northern border with Belarus and Russia is 1,200 kilometers. That's nearly impossible to defend everywhere when you're also facing attack from the east and south.

I disagree. there are natural choke points and with good planning, you can use infantry to block most important routes. the Ukraine does not lack in menpower
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #1864 on: February 24, 2022, 04:30:34 AM »

From Poland east to Luhansk, Ukraine's northern border with Belarus and Russia is 1,200 kilometers. That's nearly impossible to defend everywhere when you're also facing attack from the east and south.

I disagree. there are natural choke points and with good planning, you can use infantry to block most important routes. the Ukraine does not lack in menpower

Reserves were mobilized yesterday. That should have been done weeks ago.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #1865 on: February 24, 2022, 04:31:33 AM »
« Edited: February 24, 2022, 04:35:52 AM by Velasco »

Footage of the Russian invasion

This is a terrible day that we won't forget
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #1866 on: February 24, 2022, 04:33:16 AM »

If this is in Genichesk it means Russians have already crossed the bridge (unopposed?) that separates this part of Ukraine from Crimea. Tors aren't amphibious.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #1867 on: February 24, 2022, 04:54:16 AM »

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1868 on: February 24, 2022, 04:57:09 AM »

My only worry is if Russia interprets Poland becoming sanctuary for retreating Ukrainian forces counts as an "act of aggression," and it goes to war with Poland thinking NATO couldn't be invoked.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1869 on: February 24, 2022, 05:29:05 AM »

Waking up to this terrible news. 

There's not much more I can say that others haven't, but sincerely thinking of all of those who have had (and will have) their lives completely changed and uprooted.

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1870 on: February 24, 2022, 05:49:45 AM »

Time for Iran level sanctions. The West must do everything below military action to take Putin's regime down at this point. He's a threat to global safety and a war criminal.

EU officials and Chancellor Scholz also just announced "crippling sanctions" that will be announced soon. EU officials even discuss the possibility of stopping gas imports from Russia.

Furthermore, Zelensky asked Turkey to close the Bosporus for all Russian ships, cutting off access to the Mediterranean Sea. I hope Turkey follows through.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1871 on: February 24, 2022, 05:54:34 AM »

This is the end of the post-Cold War era in terms of geopolitics and possibly the biggest testcase for the Western "liberal institutionalist" approach towards international politics to date. If there are no credible sanctions, that approach is over. And China will invade Taiwan this year still.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1872 on: February 24, 2022, 05:56:16 AM »

It will be the end of Putin.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1873 on: February 24, 2022, 06:02:21 AM »

I am confused about how Putin can sell this domestically.   His new line is that the Ukraine government is an illegal regime.  He could have said that in 2014 and done this and at least there would be some logic to his reasoning.  But until recently that was not his line even internally.  How does he explain to the Russian people what is different now versus a few months ago?   

Also, he said NATO crossed the red line.  He could have said that during the last couple of rounds of NATO expansion. But is not clear what NATO did in the last few weeks to "cross the red line".  What he could have done is to give an ultimatium to NATO to legally preclude Ukraine from joining NATO by a certain date and not doing so crosses his red line.  If he did that there would be some logic to his current actions.  But he did not do that either.

I do not think the Russian population would view these actions as logical. 
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1874 on: February 24, 2022, 06:04:47 AM »

This is the end of the post-Cold War era in terms of geopolitics and possibly the biggest testcase for the Western "liberal institutionalist" approach towards international politics to date. If there are no credible sanctions, that approach is over. And China will invade Taiwan this year still.
You could quite likely be right.
I would agree this is probably the biggest test of liberal internationalism to date.
The problem with any sanctions is that Russia is much, much better prepared than in 2014. The biggest winners in case of sanctions is in fact China, as it eats more business that other countries would get. Unless NATO countries are willing to do the most severe sanctions and for about a decade or more, I have doubts we see actual results.
Liberal institutionalism needs to be malleable and flexible or else it will begin to fail. If it begins to fail, that failing would likely start now.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... 1171  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies