Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 09:04:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 ... 1170
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 919148 times)
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1975 on: February 24, 2022, 10:29:19 AM »

Tanks entered Sumy.

Sumy provides a straightforward route of attack on Kyiv from the east.

Very concerning.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1976 on: February 24, 2022, 10:30:41 AM »

Take this with a big grain of salt given the source.

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1496869190162337793
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1977 on: February 24, 2022, 10:34:22 AM »

Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1978 on: February 24, 2022, 10:36:24 AM »

StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #1979 on: February 24, 2022, 10:38:29 AM »

Legit impressed with Zelensky, I can see the appeal and why he got elected

He has been a f#cking idiot. This invasion has been staring his country in the face for 3 months and his military preparedness was nowhere near acceptable.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1980 on: February 24, 2022, 10:43:30 AM »

He has been a f#cking idiot. This invasion has been staring his country in the face for 3 months and his military preparedness was nowhere near acceptable.

No I completely agree and I have been saying this for months, but now that the invasion has started I think he has upped his game.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1981 on: February 24, 2022, 10:49:06 AM »

Speaking at a high school today (juniors who are interested in a medical career).  I’ve heard a surprising amount of chatter among the kiddos about this.  
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1982 on: February 24, 2022, 10:50:27 AM »

Repeating "Kabul Kabul Kabul" is Russian propaganda. There is no reason to believe the collapse of the Ukrainian state is imminent.

Not sure, Russia is a much different thing than Taliban. I hope you're right and I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised, if a week from now Zelensky is still in Ukraine and its prez. I actually expect him to flee into exile in the coming days, if not hours. Not to mention the possibility he'll be murdered. As much as I hate to say it.
Ukraine is almost certainly going to lose, but that is very different than what transpired in Afghanistan.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1983 on: February 24, 2022, 10:50:58 AM »

Speaking at a high school today (juniors who are interested in a medical career).  I’ve heard a surprising amount of chatter among the kiddos about this.  
I think most high schoolers are very well engaged with news at this point.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1984 on: February 24, 2022, 10:51:13 AM »

Repeating "Kabul Kabul Kabul" is Russian propaganda. There is no reason to believe the collapse of the Ukrainian state is imminent.

Not sure, Russia is a much different thing than Taliban. I hope you're right and I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised, if a week from now Zelensky is still in Ukraine and its prez. I actually expect him to flee into exile in the coming days, if not hours. Not to mention the possibility he'll be murdered. As much as I hate to say it.
Ukraine is almost certainly going to lose, but that is very different than what transpired in Afghanistan.

Low bar.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1985 on: February 24, 2022, 10:51:26 AM »

Omega21

« Reply #1986 on: February 24, 2022, 10:51:35 AM »

Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1987 on: February 24, 2022, 10:51:43 AM »

We finished our tasks at work an hour early last night, and me and my completely apolitical coworkers spent the final hour in the break room watching TV news instead of the usual sports or South Park.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1988 on: February 24, 2022, 10:53:13 AM »

Boris Johnson is pushing for Russia to be cut off from SWIFT.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1989 on: February 24, 2022, 10:54:20 AM »

A potentially stupid question, though I wonder how Putin would react to NATO actually getting involved militarily to assist Ukraine? Would he actually risk a direct confrontation with NATO and the United States, or would he blink? I'm saying we should intervene, I just ask myself how he'd react.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1990 on: February 24, 2022, 10:54:43 AM »

I guess maybe people are glued to their screens, but I haven't seen anyone really posting about it on social media. I really hope my circle is an outlier and more people are paying attention to this.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1991 on: February 24, 2022, 10:55:13 AM »

You have to wonder why the Ukrainian govt didn't mine key bridges and have explosives' ready to go in this case. Civilians are going to use a bridge in a warzone anyways.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1992 on: February 24, 2022, 10:55:51 AM »

A potentially stupid question, though I wonder how Putin would react to NATO actually getting involved militarily to assist Ukraine. Would he actually risk a direct confrontation with NATO and the United States, or would he blink? I'm saying we should intervene, I just ask myself how he'd react.
I think I heard he was talking about Russia's great nuclear might in one of his speeches a few days ago. And saying if anyone interferes they will face consequences no one has ever seen before. Which to me means H bombs.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1993 on: February 24, 2022, 10:56:16 AM »

Not surprised at all. I just had my AP Gov. and Comp. class end a few minutes ago and for the majority of the period we solely talked about what's happening in Ukraine right now.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #1994 on: February 24, 2022, 10:56:37 AM »

No I completely agree and I have been saying this for months, but now that the invasion has started I think he has upped his game.

Oh, so now that the invasion that has been telegraphed for 3 months has started, he's going to start preparing for war and deploying his military in defensive positions? Wouldn't that have been smart to do sometime in the last 3 months.

Take everything with grains of salt. But here's what I've read:

-simultaneous amphibious landing ops in Mariupol (between Crimea and Russian mainland from Sea of Azov) and Odessa (west of Crimea). Uncontested crossings at Crimea and Sumy. Possibly contested near Kirovo. Troops moving on Kharkiv. Russian paratroopers near Kiev are doing an operation to take control of the military airport Gostomel. Ground forces coming from Belarus, Crimea, and Russia. An Israeli newspaper an hour ago said the airport had fallen, but I don't see other news sources saying that.

Below is a battle map that's designed to be conservative. Appears the Ukrainian defenses north of Crimea have fallen.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/1496854817767145478
Here is my first #UkraineUnderAttack map, based on - very conservative - fighting and troop movement geolocations as well as Ukrainian army reports. It looks grim.

A Julian Ropcke on Twitter with a Ukrainian flag next to his user name.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1995 on: February 24, 2022, 10:57:07 AM »

Boris Johnson is pushing for Russia to be cut off from SWIFT.

Good.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #1996 on: February 24, 2022, 10:59:12 AM »

Not surprised at all. I just had my AP Gov. and Comp. class end a few minutes ago and for the majority of the period we solely talked about what's happening in Ukraine right now.

I remember when I was in 3rd grade and the 1990 Gulf War started, we spent an hour or two talking about it with our teacher who just answered our questions of what was going on best she could. We were pretty close to a military base so we naturally had more interest.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1997 on: February 24, 2022, 11:01:44 AM »

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1998 on: February 24, 2022, 11:04:49 AM »

Oh, so now that the invasion that has been telegraphed for 3 months has started, he's going to start preparing for war and deploying his military in defensive positions? Wouldn't that have been smart to do sometime in the last 3 months.

Take everything with grains of salt. But here's what I've read:

-simultaneous amphibious landing ops in Mariupol (between Crimea and Russian mainland from Sea of Azov) and Odessa (west of Crimea). Uncontested crossings at Crimea and Sumy. Possibly contested near Kirovo. Troops moving on Kharkiv. Russian paratroopers near Kiev are doing an operation to take control of the military airport Gostomel. Ground forces coming from Belarus, Crimea, and Russia. An Israeli newspaper an hour ago said the airport had fallen, but I don't see other news sources saying that.

Below is a battle map that's designed to be conservative. Appears the Ukrainian defenses north of Crimea have fallen.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/1496854817767145478
Here is my first #UkraineUnderAttack map, based on - very conservative - fighting and troop movement geolocations as well as Ukrainian army reports. It looks grim.

A Julian Ropcke on Twitter with a Ukrainian flag next to his user name.
There is no landing in Odessa.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1999 on: February 24, 2022, 11:06:14 AM »

A potentially stupid question, though I wonder how Putin would react to NATO actually getting involved militarily to assist Ukraine? Would he actually risk a direct confrontation with NATO and the United States, or would he blink? I'm saying we should intervene, I just ask myself how he'd react.
We should find out.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 ... 1170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies