Biden to address the nation at 3:45pm
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:46:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden to address the nation at 3:45pm
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Author Topic: Biden to address the nation at 3:45pm  (Read 12675 times)
BigSerg
7sergi9

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2021, 03:21:26 PM »

The Biden statement was atrocious that's the consensus everywhere except here hahahaha
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2021, 03:21:56 PM »

I have the strong feeling CNN and unnamed focus groups will pan this speech.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2021, 03:22:15 PM »

The Biden statement was atrocious that's the consensus everywhere except here hahahaha

Sorry, neocon.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2021, 03:22:19 PM »

Yah even one of my liberal friends is calling this speech terrible and said it was gaslighting the nation of Afghanistan
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2021, 03:22:24 PM »

Jesus, I'm watching CNN waiting for this and it's like I'm watching Fox News.  Just incredibly loaded language and relentless attacks on Biden coming from Jake Tapper.
I’ve never seen the media be so out of touch. Not like this

Sure, this is really bad. And it’s news worthy. But 99% of Americans do not care and the media has gone nuts

I've been thinking about the Afghan people all day. I have an Afghan coworker who has family still there and was so visibly and painfully devastated today.

The president made the right decision in leaving.

He clearly didn't rush people out because he thought a panic would cause a quicker collapse and didn't realize the weakness of the corrupt Ghani regime or that the Afghan "army" would immediately sell out the people they were charged with defending. America cannot force a country to defend itself at immense moral and financial cost.

Now we need to get as many people out of that hellhole as possible - particularly women and kids.

This is the moment for Americans and all free people to demand Afghan refugees be allowed entry, and to show the world our superior sense of charity to the violent, stupid zealots.

If I were Biden, I'd open up the gates right now and let 'em in. Say "America first, not America alone." This is civic nationalism and diplomacy at its best.

Even as an immigration hawk, I agree. We ruined their country and it's the least we can do.

I appreciate you saying that. This isn't about whether or not more immigration is a good idea. It's about what we owe as compensation to the Afghan people. We made this possible so it's on us to try and make it right.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2021, 03:22:32 PM »

I thought it was a very strong speech.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2021, 03:22:50 PM »

I'm sure that's the consensus in Moscow, yes.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2021, 03:24:04 PM »

Joe Biden was literally just above Tulsi Gabbard in my preferences last year and now I love him more than some of his most vocal defenders here. Politics is weird. Smile
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2021, 03:24:46 PM »

I'm sure that's the consensus in Moscow, yes.

From what I'm hearing, it was also the consensus in DC. Middle America is probably a different question.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2021, 03:25:00 PM »

Yah even one of my liberal friends is calling this speech terrible and said it was gaslighting the nation of Afghanistan

We are not the military of Afghanistan.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2021, 03:26:16 PM »

Good speech. Biden was clear and straightforward

Nothing new though, so I doubt the beltway pudits will let up.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2021, 03:26:42 PM »

Completely aside from the political implications or strategy of this speech, I cannot remember a time when a president gave a speech on foreign policy where I felt my views were represented and this trend continues tonight.

It was a long time ago there was a president with that amount of foreign policy experience. Joe Biden has monitored the situation in Afghanistan from the start, as senator, vice president and now president and came to the clear conclusion that a continunation of this operation would not succeed in a sense that Afghanistan becomes some sort of stable democracy.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2021, 03:26:56 PM »

Jesus, I'm watching CNN waiting for this and it's like I'm watching Fox News.  Just incredibly loaded language and relentless attacks on Biden coming from Jake Tapper.

Sure, this is really bad. And it’s news worthy. But 99% of Americans do not care and the media has gone nuts

I've been thinking about the Afghan people all day. I have an Afghan coworker who has family still there and was so visibly and painfully devastated today.

He clearly didn't rush people out because he thought a panic would cause a quicker collapse and didn't realize the weakness of the corrupt Ghani regime or that the Afghan "army" would immediately sell out the people they were charged with defending. America cannot force a country to defend itself at immense moral and financial cost.

Now we need to get as many people out of that hellhole as possible - particularly women and kids.

This is the moment for Americans and all free people to demand Afghan refugees be allowed entry, and to show the world our superior sense of charity to the violent, stupid zealots.

If I were Biden, I'd open up the gates right now and let 'em in. Say "America first, not America alone." This is civic nationalism and diplomacy at its best.

Even as an immigration hawk, I agree. We ruined their country and it's the least we can do.

I appreciate you saying that. This isn't about whether or not more immigration is a good idea. It's about what we owe as compensation to the Afghan people. We made this possible so it's on us to try and make it right.

Afghanistan has a population of 40,000,000 people.  We're not going to let all the Afghan people who want to leave come here.

We didn't "ruin their country."  The Taliban was running the country when we arrived!  The years of USA occupation were by far the best Afghanistan has ever been, so why have we "ruined their country" by leaving?

They ruined their own country.  They refuse to stand up and fight against the Taliban.  We left them with 300,000 well-armed, well-trained troops and they just collapsed and surrendered.  They don't care.  There are too many Afghans, especially higher-up, who just want the Taliban.  So that's what they're going to get.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2021, 03:27:43 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2021, 03:42:27 PM by TexasGurl »

Well if IntelDoge said it…
compucomp

« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2021, 03:27:52 PM »

To be fair, it is extraordinarily rare for a world leader to openly bash another country like this, to basically call the former government weak and a bunch of losers and cowards. However, after the display this past week, can we all agree that he is telling it like it is?
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2021, 03:27:55 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2021, 03:31:03 PM by GeneralMacArthur »

Good speech. Biden was clear and straightforward

Nothing new though, so I doubt the beltway pudits will let up.

Jake Tapper literally sounds like Sean Hannity today.  It's wild.  It's so bad.

Clarissa Ward was attacking Biden for closing the U.S. Embassy while the Chinese and Russian embassies are open.  You know why that is?  Because Russia and China backed the Taliban, you idiots!

Oh, now Tapper is saying the video of Afghans swarming the airplane "reminds him of 9/11."  WTF?
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2021, 03:28:18 PM »

I have the strong feeling CNN and unnamed focus groups will pan this speech.

The media is the enemy of the people.
Fudotei
fudotei
Rookie
United States

« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2021, 03:28:54 PM »

Mediocre speech, but Biden never was considered a great orator. I'd be surprised if Afghanistan remains an issue of "what to do about this" going forward. As long as there isn't a (obviously foolish) attack on evacuating Americans it's put to rest.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2021, 03:29:28 PM »

That was the part of it I strongly took issue with as well.

We gutted the Afghan air force by removing contractors, gave the Army's pay to crooks we supported, told them we were going to abandon them, and now we're criticizing them for refusing to lay down their lives for our fleeting political advantage?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2021, 03:29:49 PM »

Biden is correct.  The vitriol coming from the bloodthirty liberal media only confirms this.  With that said, its time to #InvokeThe25th or something.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2021, 03:31:21 PM »

No questions. Lol. 
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2021, 03:31:54 PM »

I am surprised Fareed Zakahari supports this decision given he seemed pretty Hawkish previously
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2021, 03:31:58 PM »

Afghanistan has a population of 40,000,000 people.  We're not going to let all the Afghan people who want to leave come here.

We didn't "ruin their country."  The Taliban was running the country when we arrived!  The years of USA occupation were by far the best Afghanistan has ever been, so why have we "ruined their country" by leaving?

They ruined their own country.  They refuse to stand up and fight against the Taliban.  We left them with 300,000 well-armed, well-trained troops and they just collapsed and surrendered.  They don't care.  There are too many Afghans, especially higher-up, who just want the Taliban.  So that's what they're going to get.

We could absolutely resettle 1 mil+ Afghans. You underrate America's state capacity. At the very least, the friends and extended family of the government, military, and all institutions that bet on America deserve to move here.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2021, 03:32:58 PM »

There is only one person to blame for this, and his name is George W Bush.
Fargobison

« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2021, 03:33:33 PM »

Tone deaf speech about the current realities in Afghanistan, he made the right decision to leave but the exit was a disaster of Trumpian proportions.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies