Biden to address the nation at 3:45pm
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 13, 2024, 07:09:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden to address the nation at 3:45pm
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13
Author Topic: Biden to address the nation at 3:45pm  (Read 12792 times)
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2021, 03:35:44 PM »

Jesus, I'm watching CNN waiting for this and it's like I'm watching Fox News.  Just incredibly loaded language and relentless attacks on Biden coming from Jake Tapper.
I’ve never seen the media be so out of touch. Not like this

Sure, this is really bad. And it’s news worthy. But 99% of Americans do not care and the media has gone nuts

I've been thinking about the Afghan people all day. I have an Afghan coworker who has family still there and was so visibly and painfully devastated today.

The president made the right decision in leaving.

He clearly didn't rush people out because he thought a panic would cause a quicker collapse and didn't realize the weakness of the corrupt Ghani regime or that the Afghan "army" would immediately sell out the people they were charged with defending. America cannot force a country to defend itself at immense moral and financial cost.

Now we need to get as many people out of that hellhole as possible - particularly women and kids.

This is the moment for Americans and all free people to demand Afghan refugees be allowed entry, and to show the world our superior sense of charity to the violent, stupid zealots.

If I were Biden, I'd open up the gates right now and let 'em in. Say "America first, not America alone." This is civic nationalism and diplomacy at its best.

Even as an immigration hawk, I agree. We ruined their country and it's the least we can do.

I appreciate you saying that. This isn't about whether or not more immigration is a good idea. It's about what we owe as compensation to the Afghan people. We made this possible so it's on us to try and make it right.

Afghanistan has a population of 40,000,000 people.  We're not going to let all the Afghan people who want to leave come here.

We didn't "ruin their country."  The Taliban was running the country when we arrived!  The years of USA occupation were by far the best Afghanistan has ever been, so why have we "ruined their country" by leaving?

They ruined their own country.  They refuse to stand up and fight against the Taliban.  We left them with 300,000 well-armed, well-trained troops and they just collapsed and surrendered.  They don't care.  There are too many Afghans, especially higher-up, who just want the Taliban.  So that's what they're going to get.

We could absolutely resettle 1 mil+ Afghans. You underrate America's state capacity. At the very least, the friends and extended family of the government, military, and all institutions that bet on America deserve to move here.

Why should we resettle 1,000,000 Afghans.  We gave them the means to defend their own country.

We don't owe them anything.  The Taliban retaking control of Afghanistan is just returning to the status quo from before we arrived.  That's not our fault.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2021, 03:37:07 PM »

Even my Trumpist friends are admitting it was a very strong and thoughtful speech. Congrats Joe and America!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2021, 03:38:26 PM »

Jake Tapper said opposing the handling of this withdrawal doesn't mean opposing withdrawal in general
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2021, 03:39:20 PM »

Jake Tapper said opposing the handling of this withdrawal doesn't mean opposing withdrawal in general

Maybe not in theory, but anyone who thought it could go any better just doesn't have a good grasp on Afghanistan.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2021, 03:40:51 PM »

Jesus, I'm watching CNN waiting for this and it's like I'm watching Fox News.  Just incredibly loaded language and relentless attacks on Biden coming from Jake Tapper.

Sure, this is really bad. And it’s news worthy. But 99% of Americans do not care and the media has gone nuts

I've been thinking about the Afghan people all day. I have an Afghan coworker who has family still there and was so visibly and painfully devastated today.

He clearly didn't rush people out because he thought a panic would cause a quicker collapse and didn't realize the weakness of the corrupt Ghani regime or that the Afghan "army" would immediately sell out the people they were charged with defending. America cannot force a country to defend itself at immense moral and financial cost.

Now we need to get as many people out of that hellhole as possible - particularly women and kids.

This is the moment for Americans and all free people to demand Afghan refugees be allowed entry, and to show the world our superior sense of charity to the violent, stupid zealots.

If I were Biden, I'd open up the gates right now and let 'em in. Say "America first, not America alone." This is civic nationalism and diplomacy at its best.

Even as an immigration hawk, I agree. We ruined their country and it's the least we can do.

I appreciate you saying that. This isn't about whether or not more immigration is a good idea. It's about what we owe as compensation to the Afghan people. We made this possible so it's on us to try and make it right.

Afghanistan has a population of 40,000,000 people.  We're not going to let all the Afghan people who want to leave come here.

We didn't "ruin their country."  The Taliban was running the country when we arrived!  The years of USA occupation were by far the best Afghanistan has ever been, so why have we "ruined their country" by leaving?

They ruined their own country.  They refuse to stand up and fight against the Taliban.  We left them with 300,000 well-armed, well-trained troops and they just collapsed and surrendered.  They don't care.  There are too many Afghans, especially higher-up, who just want the Taliban.  So that's what they're going to get.

We could absolutely resettle 1 mil+ Afghans. You underrate America's state capacity. At the very least, the friends and extended family of the government, military, and all institutions that bet on America deserve to move here.

Why should we resettle 1,000,000 Afghans.  We gave them the means to defend their own country.

We really didn't. We paid and supported corrupt leaders who didn't pay soldiers (and is some cases lied about soldiers even existing). We gave them no tanks, and no self-mobile artillery. We taught them to fight with air support, gave them an air force that was maintained by contractors,  and then pulled out all the contractors. Whining that the Afghani military, such as we made it, declined to stand and die for our fleeting political advantage should be beneath us.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2021, 03:42:04 PM »

The US resettled 1,287,399 Vietnamese, Laotians, and Cambodians, 883,317 being Vietnamese, from 1975-1997 (the vast majority being resettled in the 70s and 80s).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indochina_refugee_crisis#Indochinese_resettled_and_repatriated
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2021, 03:42:10 PM »

State Department spokesman says we will be taking care of vulnerable Afghans.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2021, 03:43:40 PM »

Withdrawal good, execution bad, speech good

Let in the refugees now!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2021, 03:45:31 PM »

In terms of US foreign, that speech was genuinely historic.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2021, 03:46:20 PM »

We don't owe them anything.  The Taliban retaking control of Afghanistan is just returning to the status quo from before we arrived.  That's not our fault.

We owe it to the people and their associates that *bet on American success* and are therefore uniquely vulnerable to the Taliban because they *sided with America.* If we never went in in the first place, these people would be fine. We owe it to their families and their daughters to keep them safe. It's the same deal as the evacuation of South Vietnam. And, as Horus said, it's really good diplomacy. We choose to end a "humanitarian war" but keep the people we were ostensibly their to help safe by bringing them to America instead of bringing America to them. Besides, it won't cost us anything compared to the war as a whole. Why not help? We can and we should.

Or do you want to close our borders to refugees. Curious that *this* is the issue you take the Trump line on. I thought you wanted an America open to the world.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2021, 03:47:37 PM »

The US resettled 1,287,399 Vietnamese, Laotians, and Cambodians, 883,317 being Vietnamese, from 1975-1997 (the vast majority being resettled in the 70s and 80s).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indochina_refugee_crisis#Indochinese_resettled_and_repatriated

Exactly. And it was an unmitigated success. Doing this helped people when they needed it most and made our country stronger. They assimilated famously well. There's no downside.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2021, 03:48:49 PM »

I don't have much more to say than what's in these tweets:

BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2021, 03:50:30 PM »

Joe Biden has good political instincts. The withdrawal was the right thing to do and sticking to it is politically wise. No backtracking.
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2021, 03:50:35 PM »

This has been a foreign policy disaster of epic proportions. Very Carter-esque.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2021, 04:00:10 PM »

The media really is just desperate for Biden to self-flagellate over this.  That's all they want.  They don't care about the situation on the ground.  It's all about the politics.

I'm watching the Pentagon briefing on CNN right now and all the questions are asking them to assign blame.  Whose fault is it that this screwed up?  And then you know if they don't say "it was all our fault because we suck" the media will accuse them of "finger-pointing" and "failing to take responsibility."

The truth is, the ANA was supposed to secure the airport, and they didn't, so a bunch of Afghan civilians just ran onto the airstrip and for a couple hours we couldn't land or take-off because they were just standing around and getting in the way of the planes.  So we sent more troops in there to secure it ourselves, doing the ANA's job for them, and now we're able to use it again.  But the press doesn't want to hear that.
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2021, 04:01:33 PM »

This has been a foreign policy disaster of epic proportions. Very Carter-esque.

Exactly.  It was a disaster that began several presidencies ago.  And this disaster is now ending.  Biden is clear on this--nation building stops for the time being.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2021, 04:01:34 PM »

Probably the best day for American foreign policy in my lifetime. Sanity even in the face of the bloodthirsty press and their psychotic barrage.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2021, 04:05:57 PM »

From what I'm observing on media coverage of his speech and decision, that has really lowered my opinion of the US media. Of course it's their job to be critical and ask tough questions, but at this point I fail to see what their point is other than playing politics and attempt to increase ratings. None of the stay on faction has ever answered the question what they anticipate to accomplish by continung to drag this out. The fact everything collapsed so fast just proves Biden's point why the US and allies should fight a war most of the Afghan people don't want to fight despite severe military support, training and trillions of dollars.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #118 on: August 16, 2021, 04:08:58 PM »

From what I'm observing on media coverage of his speech and decision, that has really lowered my opinion of the US media. Of course it's their job to be critical and ask tough questions, but at this point I fail to see what their point is other than playing politics and attempt to increase ratings. None of the stay on faction has ever answered the question what they anticipate to accomplish by continung to drag this out. The fact everything collapsed so fast just proves Biden's point why the US and allies should fight a war most of the Afghan people don't want to fight despite severe military support, training and trillions of dollars.

They just keep attacking Biden for not saying "I am a piece of s--t, this is all my fault" and then bending over, handing them a paddle and saying "please come spank me."

As long as he doesn't say that, they're going to keep saying "Biden is finger-pointing, he refuses to take responsibility."  And then they refuse to understand this concept of "we prepared for a dozen different eventualities, and the worst possible one is what we're seeing, even though we thought it only had a <5% chance of occurring."
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2021, 04:10:55 PM »

The burden of justification is on the administration, not the media. Now, I support Biden's drawdown in Afghanistan *provided* we accommodate a significant refugee population but there's nothing wrong with the media being as aggressive and, frankly, hostile as they want about a decision like this. That's literally the job of the press. Don't let your pro-Biden enthusiasm guide your opinions of everything else. They aren't being substantively different than they were just because they're not on your side. The second portion of your point was a non-sequitur.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #120 on: August 16, 2021, 04:11:16 PM »

Probably the best day for American foreign policy in my lifetime. Sanity even in the face of the bloodthirsty press and their psychotic barrage.

Even for those of us that supported finally ending the war, it's gross to celebrate this. This is a sad conclusion to a war that was packed with terrible decisions over the course of 20 years - a conclusion that will lead to a lot of deaths.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2021, 04:12:02 PM »

The media has truly gone berzerk, and this is coming from someone who has generally defended them in the past. They've made this seem like it's the biggest thing to happen to America in 50 years.
compucomp

« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2021, 04:15:44 PM »

Yah even one of my liberal friends is calling this speech terrible and said it was gaslighting the nation of Afghanistan

That was the part of it I strongly took issue with as well.

We gutted the Afghan air force by removing contractors, gave the Army's pay to crooks we supported, told them we were going to abandon them, and now we're criticizing them for refusing to lay down their lives for our fleeting political advantage?

I can't agree with this at all. The Afghan "National Army" outnumbered the Taliban by at least 2 to 1, had more funds than the Taliban, had better equipment than the Taliban, had air supremacy over the Taliban, and started the final campaign with control of most of the country. On paper it was a far superior army to the Taliban, with or without the Americans.  I would assign all blame for the collapse on the former Afghan regime.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2021, 04:19:06 PM »

Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #124 on: August 16, 2021, 04:19:59 PM »

Seems like Jake Tapper forgot to take his meds today.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies