Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 10:49:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 123 124 ... 236
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 248019 times)
BigSerg
7sergi9

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2950 on: October 28, 2021, 11:20:53 AM »

God, he is so pathetic! I think he's gonna sh**t himself
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2951 on: October 28, 2021, 11:21:08 AM »

This whole country is a fukking reality tv show.

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2952 on: October 28, 2021, 11:21:55 AM »

Progressives could continue to hold their ground and stand up for what they believe in. Which is fine and great. But then Manchin and Sinema would sink the bill. THAT is the reality. Then we're left with absolutely nothing, which is the worst possible outcome.

That's not true because a budget bill has to pass eventually. If progressives stand up for what they believe they can get concessions. All they've been doing is eroding the progressive platform because Manchin and Sinema are standing firm.

They would not. I don't understand the world you're living in, but it's not actual reality here.

WTF are you talking about a budget bill has to pass. If it's clear Manchin and Sinema are blocking a Democratic budget for reasons unknown then the media narrative begins to change and voters start paying attention and asking "why are they blocking this?" Instead of the current narrative that Progressives should just be happy with whatever because that's the best they're gonna get.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2953 on: October 28, 2021, 11:23:12 AM »

Alright now that the bill has been passed it’s time for Democrats to act like it’s super amazing along with the BIF. 2022 campaigning must start now. I wish we had also pushed for voting reforms but we can’t reverse time. Time to turn on Democratic hack mode to shift the narrative. We CANT let this be another Obamacare.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2954 on: October 28, 2021, 11:25:03 AM »

Alright now that the bill has been passed it’s time for Democrats to act like it’s super amazing along with the BIF.

Fortunately, it is.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2955 on: October 28, 2021, 11:27:30 AM »

Alright now that the bill has been passed it’s time for Democrats to act like it’s super amazing along with the BIF.

Fortunately, it is.
No, it’s definitely not “super amazing” and progressives have EVERY right to be pissed. However, it’s time to rally together against the Traitors, we probably are f**ked anyways but we may as well try.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #2956 on: October 28, 2021, 11:28:00 AM »

Americans will be asking themselves what they gave Democrats power for. 2022 will not be pretty for us.

The American people did not actually vote to give the Dems all of this power

During the 2020 election, they voted to keep Mitch McConnell and the republicans in control of the senate while giving Nancy Pelosi a much smaller majority in the house

The only reason why the Dems ended up getting control of the senate is pure dumb luck because the state of Georgia ended it flipping to them. Other than that based on the 2020 results had voters gotten their way Biden and Dems would have never gotten the power they currently have in the first place
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2957 on: October 28, 2021, 11:29:27 AM »

Alright now that the bill has been passed it’s time for Democrats to act like it’s super amazing along with the BIF. 2022 campaigning must start now. I wish we had also pushed for voting reforms but we can’t reverse time. Time to turn on Democratic hack mode to shift the narrative. We CANT let this be another Obamacare.

The bill doesn't include (as for now) paid leave = disastrous bill!

At least according to CNN journo:

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2958 on: October 28, 2021, 11:32:57 AM »

Progressives could continue to hold their ground and stand up for what they believe in. Which is fine and great. But then Manchin and Sinema would sink the bill. THAT is the reality. Then we're left with absolutely nothing, which is the worst possible outcome.

That's not true because a budget bill has to pass eventually. If progressives stand up for what they believe they can get concessions. All they've been doing is eroding the progressive platform because Manchin and Sinema are standing firm.

? No, reconciliation doesn't legally have to pass. They can just pass a long-lasting temporary extension of existing transportation programs.

Yes they have to do 2022 appropriations eventually but that is an entirely separate matter that will be done on a more bipartisan basis.

If you really think Manchin and Sinema are going to do what McConnell did to Obama call their bluff. Let's see if two Democratic Senators really refuse to pass budget resolutions for their own party. I am willing to bet they would compromise on more than they are letting on.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #2959 on: October 28, 2021, 11:34:14 AM »

I’d scrap every green energy dollar into dental hearing and vision, that actually helps people
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2960 on: October 28, 2021, 11:35:13 AM »

You’re just jealous of all the PROGRESS under Biden!
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #2961 on: October 28, 2021, 11:43:02 AM »

Americans will be asking themselves what they gave Democrats power for. 2022 will not be pretty for us.

If they actually knew what was going on, the question would be why they didn't give Dems more power in 2020 then, if they're so upset with what's going on. I mean, this is a direct result of more Democratic senators not getting voted in. So if people are unhappy with it, then they should vote more Democrats into office.

Americans DONT know what’s going on and no matter the reason or who specifically is at fault it will be perceived as a Democratic blunder.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #2962 on: October 28, 2021, 11:54:04 AM »
« Edited: October 28, 2021, 12:01:24 PM by StateBoiler »

8 Representatives have publicly announced they're going to vote no on the infrastructure bill.

Jayapal statement is "there are too many no votes for the BIF to pass today".

So the Progressive Caucus strategy might be they come out front to say they'll vote no to prevent the vote from occurring, while not actually voting no if a vote came to pass. That or Pelosi knows she has Republican support in her pocket to overcome.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2963 on: October 28, 2021, 11:57:31 AM »

You’re just jealous of all the PROGRESS under Biden!

Why would "progressives" screwing suburban women like this?

I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2964 on: October 28, 2021, 11:58:31 AM »

I wonder if we stood our ground a bit longer, we could get vision Medicare expansion also.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2965 on: October 28, 2021, 11:58:42 AM »

I'm so disappointed in this deal. For 4 years of the Trump administration, all I did was scream that elections matter and not voting has consequences. Well, after the highest turnout election in American history what are we getting? Pre-K. That is it

You obviously don't have kids and are totally clueless as to the cost (both in dollars and opportunity) of early childcare and preschool. This is a f***ing godsend to so many families.

Perhaps a dumb question, but given that education is a state policy, shouldn't states be the ones responsible for funding pre-K if they so choose? (as opposed to the federal government)
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2966 on: October 28, 2021, 11:59:23 AM »

8 Representatives have publicly announced they're going to vote no on the infrastructure bill.

So the Progressive Caucus strategy might be they come out front to say they'll vote no to prevent the vote from occurring, while not actually voting no if a vote came to pass. That or Pelosi knows she has Republican support in her pocket to overcome.

I'v read something about 10 Republicans voting for this.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2967 on: October 28, 2021, 11:59:43 AM »

I wonder if we stood our ground a bit longer, we could get vision Medicare expansion also.

If Manchin and Sinema are still not 100% on board with this after all the cuts that have been made, what makes anyone think that "standing our ground longer" would've changed anything? If anything, their statements today make it sound like they want more cut
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2968 on: October 28, 2021, 12:01:12 PM »

The worst part of this bill is no tax increases for the top marginal tax rate. Incredibly dumb that our top income tax rate is not 45%, nevermind 39.5%.

Also, incredibly disappointed that the child tax credit was only expanded by one year. That was easily the best policy Joe Biden has passed.

Is this bill even actually paid for?

Wouldn’t pass reconciliation if it wasn’t paid for.

This bill is worthless in its current form

That just flies in the face of reality. It’s a pathetic effort, but is very much verifiably worth a great deal.

We’re squandering a historic opportunity and you yourself agree that it’s a pathetic effort.  I’m genuinely not sure why anyone would expect me or any other progressive to celebrate this bill.  I’m not an absolutist, but I’m also not gonna pretend Biden isn’t pissing on Americans’ foots and telling us it’s raining.  If it had paid and sick leave (even 4 weeks), tuition free community college, negotiating drug prices, undid the Trump tax cuts for the wealthy, or the full set of environmental policies we were initially promised, then I could live with it.  I could live with just one of my top priorities, then I could live with it.  Just one, that’s all I ask.  But it doesn’t, so yes, I am pissed and I’m not gonna pretend otherwise.  There are good things here, but paid leave and negotiating drug prices both being cut is my personal red line.
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #2969 on: October 28, 2021, 12:01:27 PM »

AOC and her cult should just go back to writing watpadd stories and making picrews and let the adults deal with this
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2970 on: October 28, 2021, 12:02:41 PM »

The worst part of this bill is no tax increases for the top marginal tax rate. Incredibly dumb that our top income tax rate is not 45%, nevermind 39.5%.

Also, incredibly disappointed that the child tax credit was only expanded by one year. That was easily the best policy Joe Biden has passed.

Is this bill even actually paid for?

Wouldn’t pass reconciliation if it wasn’t paid for.

This bill is worthless in its current form

That just flies in the face of reality. It’s a pathetic effort, but is very much verifiably worth a great deal.

We’re squandering a historic opportunity and you yourself agree that it’s a pathetic effort.  I’m genuinely not sure why anyone would expect me or any other progressive to celebrate this bill.  I’m not an absolutist, but I’m also not gonna pretend Biden isn’t pissing on Americans’ foots and telling us it’s raining.  If it had paid and sick leave (even 4 weeks), tuition free community college, negotiating drug prices, undid the Trump tax cuts for the wealthy, or the full set of environmental policies we were initially promised, then I could live with it.  I could live with just one of my top priorities, then I could live with it.  Just one, that’s all I ask.  But it doesn’t, so yes, I am pissed and I’m not gonna pretend otherwise.  There are good things here, but paid leave and negotiating drug prices both being cut is my personal red line.

This is getting exhausting. There are two people you can blame for this. Literally two. Stop blaming anyone else and acting as if the outcome would be any different. There are two people who are not backing down and we unfortunately are beholden to them. What don't people get about this?
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #2971 on: October 28, 2021, 12:03:49 PM »

StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #2972 on: October 28, 2021, 12:04:07 PM »

I'v read something about 10 Republicans voting for this.

I expect if it came to a vote by itself it'd pass.

If I was the shrewd Republican strategist to just screw the Democratic caucus up 10 ways from Sunday, I'd force a vote on the infrastructure bill via discharge petition. If I could convince the whole caucus, all I would need is 4 Democrats (not saying they then vote for the infrastructure bill, just that they force a vote on it). It'd completely destroy any leverage from the progressive caucus over the reconciliation package and they might decide in a rash to destroy this bill too then.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #2973 on: October 28, 2021, 12:05:57 PM »

Cucks.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix