Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 08:57:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 236
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 248285 times)
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: June 17, 2021, 09:08:13 PM »
« edited: June 17, 2021, 09:15:12 PM by Teflon Joe. »

The mid-Atlantic has the worst Democrats in the country.

Delaware is the credit card capitol of the US. Chris Coons and Tom Carper are corporatists like Mark Warner.
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #451 on: June 18, 2021, 08:30:49 AM »

The mid-Atlantic has the worst Democrats in the country.

Delaware is the credit card capitol of the US. Chris Coons and Tom Carper are corporatists like Mark Warner.

Classic article: https://newrepublic.com/article/61902/rogue-state
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #452 on: June 18, 2021, 01:56:55 PM »

Well, this is a total disaster. Say goodbye to any hope of getting any action on carbon emissions reduction for the next 10 years, at which point, it'll probably be too late.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #453 on: June 18, 2021, 02:07:11 PM »

Well, this is a total disaster. Say goodbye to any hope of getting any action on carbon emissions reduction for the next 10 years, at which point, it'll probably be too late.
I fairly sure he saw what happens with Macron and doesn't want to risk a yellow vest movement
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #454 on: June 18, 2021, 02:56:16 PM »

The Rs aren't gonna raise taxes in a Pandemic either, DeSantis wants to cut Corporate taxes even further to 20%, that's why he will win in FL since there isn't any state income tax

The D's need 52 votes to abolish the Filibuster to raise Corporate TAXES
Motorcity

« Reply #455 on: June 18, 2021, 03:13:19 PM »

Good, raising the gas tax is a guaranteed way of losing in 2022. Democrat’s intentionally raising prices at the pump writes its own propaganda
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #456 on: June 18, 2021, 09:55:29 PM »

Good, raising the gas tax is a guaranteed way of losing in 2022. Democrat’s intentionally raising prices at the pump writes its own propaganda

How incredibly naive to assume that "this midterm will be different" or "Democrats are not already basically guaranteed to lose." Also good policy should always take precedent over electoral concerns, Democrats need to act on climate, like yesterday.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #457 on: June 18, 2021, 09:58:28 PM »

Rs aren't raising taxes in a Covid Environment either
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #458 on: June 18, 2021, 10:00:24 PM »

I bet some Atlas users take the train or the bus especially ones from Cali, IL and NY and the Ds don't even support raising gas taxes, it's a luxury to drive
Motorcity

« Reply #459 on: June 19, 2021, 01:32:38 AM »

How incredibly naive to assume that "this midterm will be different" or "Democrats are not already basically guaranteed to lose." Also good policy should always take precedent over electoral concerns, Democrats need to act on climate, like yesterday.
1. The most likely scarnio is Democrats losing in the midterms yes, but it is not inevitable. If Democrats use the FY 2022 and FY 2023 to pass popular items like infrastrcutre, free college, public option, lower medicare age, student loans, etc. We have a chance. But only if Democrats pass Joe Manchin's bill on banning gerrymandering

2. In a perfect world, good policy would take precedent over electoral concerns. Except we don't live in a perfect world. If we aren't careful, a outright fascist could take over in 2024. A gas tax does not help. Nor is it good policy, it would hurt the lower and middle class.
R.P. McM

« Reply #460 on: June 20, 2021, 03:55:30 PM »

Agreed. But given the current (undemocratic) system, Democrats have to be exceptionally sensitive to white rural backlash. I wish it weren't so, but it is. So aggressive climate change legislation is probably a pipe dream. But yeah, when disaster hits FL, AL, MS, LA, TX, etc., I'm not funding the recovery effort. They were warned, they didn't listen.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #461 on: June 20, 2021, 06:07:15 PM »

Is it too late to include a national infrastructure bank into existing legislation, assuming it isn't in there already?  What has happened with this idea?

OP-ED: A National Infrastructure Bank could solve the U.S.’s trillion-dollar infrastructure investment challenge
The creation of a National Infrastructure Bank will cover project costs that federal, state and local governments are unable to cover.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #462 on: June 20, 2021, 06:51:48 PM »

Agreed. But given the current (undemocratic) system, Democrats have to be exceptionally sensitive to white rural backlash. I wish it weren't so, but it is. So aggressive climate change legislation is probably a pipe dream. But yeah, when disaster hits FL, AL, MS, LA, TX, etc., I'm not funding the recovery effort. They were warned, they didn't listen.

Speaking even as one of the most bleeding-heart environmentalists around these parts, your willingness to let the entire world burn to stick it to people who you disagree with politically is abominable. Of course, that also implies that you think that those states are uniformly against further environmental protections, which is a ridiculous falsehood incurred by electoral-college brain.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #463 on: June 20, 2021, 07:14:16 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2021, 07:29:36 PM by Southern Deputy Speaker Punxsutawney Phil »

Speaking even as one of the most bleeding-heart environmentalists around these parts, your willingness to let the entire world burn to stick it to people who you disagree with politically is abominable. Of course, that also implies that you think that those states are uniformly against further environmental protections, which is a ridiculous falsehood incurred by electoral-college brain.
The (most) tragicomic thing about all this is that in the event the feds don't help at all, as McM suggests, then it will be minorities in those states who are harmed the most, and in fact, two competitive states at that. It's perfectly possible that FL and TX both flip in the 2020s, so even in pure electoral/demographic terms this would only wind up helping Republicans by ensuring minorities move away and lowering the Dem floor in those places.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #464 on: June 20, 2021, 11:08:09 PM »

If the D's don't get their taxes increases in the GREEN NEW DEAL, to hey can always come back in 2023 to change the infrastructure bill when they have more D's, definitely in the keep the H and Senate and have 52 or more votes in the Senate

It's a Reconciliation Bill not a Voter Rights Bill and the it certainly can be amended. Speed rails and change over to Electric vehicles will take about 10 yrs anyways, let's get this done without tax increases using Covid relief funds.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #465 on: June 20, 2021, 11:37:01 PM »

Passing no bill will damage the D's chances moreso than compromising with Rs because we have potholes on our streets and bridges we ride on them everyday

Then, it will damage their chances even moreso of Holding the House without a deal

Portman was absolutely right, compromise is the way to go and the Ds did the samething with stimulus, they compromised with Rs until they got more D's in Jan
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #466 on: June 21, 2021, 09:23:43 AM »

I dunno, I have a feeling nothing gets passed here because Manchin and Sinema just aren't reading to wake up and acknowledge that their holy cow of bipartisanship is in fact a dead horse.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #467 on: June 21, 2021, 09:58:53 AM »

As stated before, the D's can come back after they win in 2022 and should they have 52 seats and have the H can push thru their Green New Deal, anyways
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #468 on: June 21, 2021, 02:44:48 PM »

As I said, the United States has a dysfunctional enough democracy to have multiple veto points that require supermajorities to pass any kind of significant legislation but a functional enough democracy that you can't just vandalize the homes of Manchin and Sinema to strongarm them into voting for killing the filibuster.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #469 on: June 21, 2021, 03:00:33 PM »

As I said, the United States has a dysfunctional enough democracy to have multiple veto points that require supermajorities to pass any kind of significant legislation but a functional enough democracy that you can't just vandalize the homes of Manchin and Sinema to strongarm them into voting for killing the filibuster.

You know well as I know the D's used the Filibuster before, and the reason why it hasn't hurt R Prez like it does D's because Congress especially the House has been held by Rs 16/20 yrs

Obama had Congress only 2 yrs and had a Supermajority Senate Byrd, Landrieu and Pryor lobbied against getting rid of Legislative Filibuster when DC Statehood cane up in 2009/ but they didn't hold the H for very long, if they would of held the Trifecta passed 2010, more pressure would have been put on Senate to repeal Filibuster
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #470 on: June 21, 2021, 03:23:13 PM »

Joe Manchin is a product of Robert C Byrd, and Jay Rockefeller, remember when 2005, Bill Frist wanted to Eliminate the Filibuster for Alito and Roberts because D's were threatening to block both of them, Jay Rockefeller, John McCain, Landrieu, Pryor, John Warner and Byrd came together and stopped the Rs from ERADICATING the Filibuster

Tom Udall had the proposal and Merkley, Harkin and Mark Udall said it's time to end the Filibuster and Mark Udall unfortunately, lost in 2014

D's really aren't that concerned about Voting Rights their priority is DC Statehood so that they can lock in a Supermajority Senate, we all know that, that's why Rs, even Romney and Collins aren't voting to Eliminate the Filibuster
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #471 on: June 21, 2021, 04:16:38 PM »

Senate’s bipartisan infrastructure deal nears its big reveal

The Senate’s bipartisan group is racing to finalize an accord on infrastructure, hoping to clinch a deal totaling $579 billion in new spending as soon as this week.

The group of 21 senators, roughly evenly split between both parties, is sketching out its spending plan in far greater detail than previously reported, with a four-page breakdown circulating Capitol Hill and reviewed by POLITICO. But the effort is still a work in progress, with senators set to meet again on Monday night and staff working near-constantly to refine the numbers.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/06/21/senate-bipartisan-infrastructure-deal-495351?cid=hptb_secondary_0
R.P. McM

« Reply #472 on: June 22, 2021, 11:22:58 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2021, 12:47:16 PM by YE »

This is delusional on so many levels. Yeah, I don't want the world to burn. But you're kidding yourself if you think the representatives of FL/AL/MS/LA/TX/WV/KY/WY/etc. are going to come to Jesus before it's too late. Nonsense. They're going to prevent us from mitigating climate change, and then, when their cities are decimated, they're going to turn around and beg for a federal bailout. At which point, quite justifiably, my response is going to be a resounding no.
R.P. McM

« Reply #473 on: June 22, 2021, 11:40:24 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2021, 11:54:18 AM by R.P. McM »

The (most) tragicomic thing about all this is that in the event the feds don't help at all, as McM suggests, then it will be minorities in those states who are harmed the most, and in fact, two competitive states at that. It's perfectly possible that FL and TX both flip in the 2020s, so even in pure electoral/demographic terms this would only wind up helping Republicans by ensuring minorities move away and lowering the Dem floor in those places.

But as a supporter of Confederate monuments — you specifically argued that Stone Mountain should be preserved, and defended the circumstances of the Lost Cause — why should I believe you actually care? Versus a very transparent hostage situation of which I no longer want any part. I mean, to anyone interested, here are Tim's comments in another thread:

If one has that sort of vision for Stone Mountain, then it could simply be carved into the mountain alongside what is already there. Nothing can excuse the destruction of what is currently there, but one can excuse an addition.
[...]
I mean, I guess you didn't directly claim the Confederacy was a direct predecessor, but you are guilty as charged with having a perspective jaundiced by the fashions of the present.
To compare the deaths of those who died in the triangular trade to those who died in concentration camps misses the time frames in question, the differing landscapes politically, the differing social mores and causes and motivations of the actors involved, and so on.
[...]
Also - no one is saying slaveowning was good either. But I think most can agree that, if one had to choose, it would relatively better to be enslaved, than be exterminated as part of a "Final Solution", which is the fate the Nazis had planned for Jews as well as other "undesirables". Both would be very, very bad, needless to say, but it does matter.
[...]
A sizable amount of the blame for the slave trade happening has to be put at the feet of local elites in West Africa, who emptied out large swatches of the region for sake of greed, and in fact a majority of deaths related to or linked to the triangular trade were done by Africans to Africans, as just the latest manifestation of the millennia-old slave trade in Western Africa, with the Europeans being the customers, buying those slaves for their own greedy self-serving reasons.

If any biased moderator wants to continue defending Tim, thereby stepping on that racist landmine, be my guest.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #474 on: June 22, 2021, 10:11:52 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies