Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 06:47:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 236
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 246434 times)
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: April 05, 2021, 04:22:47 PM »

Why are Democrats taking positions to the right of Obama?

Because some Democrats, specifically like Joe manchin, are distinctly to the right of Obama.

It’s not just Manchin apparently. It’s six or seven other losers according to the article posted who simply want less tax revenue.

He probably just made that up to back his position
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #201 on: April 05, 2021, 05:29:32 PM »

WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #202 on: April 05, 2021, 05:31:20 PM »

I’m getting tired of all this winning
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #203 on: April 05, 2021, 05:33:48 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2021, 05:40:46 PM by KaiserDave »

Wikimedia Commons (cropped by myself)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #204 on: April 05, 2021, 05:36:09 PM »

Praise be to our based Queen, Elizabeth MacDonough.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #205 on: April 05, 2021, 05:40:50 PM »

Here is a Hill article on the implications of this: https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/546215-senate-parliamentarian-to-let-democrats-bypass-filibuster-with-third-bill

From my reading, Democrats could amend the budget as many times as they want, and unlock unlimited reconciliation bills, if true, that would obviously be big.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #206 on: April 05, 2021, 07:04:34 PM »

There shouldn't be any Filibuster on any bill.unless it repeal extreme laws like Voting Rights or Social Security or Medicare.

The Rs were the ones that set citizens united in motion with their Abe Fortas Filibuster, from them on dark money is involved in politics

If Fortas was CJ instead of Burger, there world be no Citizens United
It's a Jim Crow laws that blocks Progressive Legislation
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #207 on: April 05, 2021, 07:34:07 PM »

There shouldn't be any Filibuster on any bill.unless it repeal extreme laws like Voting Rights or Social Security or Medicare.

The Rs were the ones that set citizens united in motion with their Abe Fortas Filibuster, from them on dark money is involved in politics

If Fortas was CJ instead of Burger, there world be no Citizens United
It's a Jim Crow laws that blocks Progressive Legislation

God you’re so wise.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #208 on: April 05, 2021, 07:44:26 PM »

Someone needs to make a MANCHIN System meme at this point.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #209 on: April 05, 2021, 08:04:38 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2021, 08:09:52 PM by MR. KAYNE WEST »

Bernie talked about it on MSNBC, Rs are frightened about VBM not same day voting, that's why they keep placing restrictions on voting

Look at Reynolds just place loose restrictions on guns, she was viewed as a compassionate conservatist and she showed Lincoln as whom she really is

Now that there isn't no opponent for her she is going loose on Voting Access, the Parliamentary did good by doing this for D's, what happened on Minimum wage
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #210 on: April 05, 2021, 08:59:01 PM »

God, imagine we get this infrastructure bill wrapped up by the end of next month and make a push for a voting rights bill in the summer right as things start opening back up? Biden’s approvals will skyrocket.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #211 on: April 05, 2021, 10:02:03 PM »

God, imagine we get this infrastructure bill wrapped up by the end of next month and make a push for a voting rights bill in the summer right as things start opening back up? Biden’s approvals will skyrocket.
No they won’t.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #212 on: April 06, 2021, 02:17:02 AM »

Thank god the party that controls the presidency and both houses of Congress was able to beg and plead for one more bill they can actually pass.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #213 on: April 06, 2021, 05:30:46 AM »

I think what's potentially at stake is finally fixing Obamacare. Apart from some tinkering around the edges legislatively, the law is largely unchanged since its enactment (apart from the Medicaid expansion having been declared optional by the Supreme Court). Typically, major laws like those are amended many times in the immediately succeeding years. That did not happen since Republicans took control of the House several months after the bill became law (and years before many of the provisions became operative). There hasn't been a chance to do this since this is the first Democratic trifecta in a decade.

I do know the American Rescue Plan Act has some parts that improve Obamacare, including increased premium subsidies and incentives for states to expand Medicaid. A new bill could improve Obamacare considerably. I'm like a lot of people on the left and very much supportive of Medicare for All, but that's not realistic right now. There are other things that can be done though. Medicaid could be further expanded. Obamacare as enacted expanded Medicaid to all adults at over 133% federal poverty line (technically 138% because of a 5% deduction). The House bill at the time wanted 150% (presumably 155% in effect). That could be done now, or something even higher. There's also the potential of lowering the Medicare age to 55 or 60, increasing premium subsidies, allowing the federal government to negotiate prescription drug prices, and increasing federal funds for Medicaid.
Motorcity

« Reply #214 on: April 06, 2021, 08:18:58 AM »

I think what's potentially at stake is finally fixing Obamacare. Apart from some tinkering around the edges legislatively, the law is largely unchanged since its enactment (apart from the Medicaid expansion having been declared optional by the Supreme Court). Typically, major laws like those are amended many times in the immediately succeeding years. That did not happen since Republicans took control of the House several months after the bill became law (and years before many of the provisions became operative). There hasn't been a chance to do this since this is the first Democratic trifecta in a decade.

I do know the American Rescue Plan Act has some parts that improve Obamacare, including increased premium subsidies and incentives for states to expand Medicaid. A new bill could improve Obamacare considerably. I'm like a lot of people on the left and very much supportive of Medicare for All, but that's not realistic right now. There are other things that can be done though. Medicaid could be further expanded. Obamacare as enacted expanded Medicaid to all adults at over 133% federal poverty line (technically 138% because of a 5% deduction). The House bill at the time wanted 150% (presumably 155% in effect). That could be done now, or something even higher. There's also the potential of lowering the Medicare age to 55 or 60, increasing premium subsidies, allowing the federal government to negotiate prescription drug prices, and increasing federal funds for Medicaid.
I agree with all of this, but what we really need is a public option. Every senate democrat, even Manchin, supports this. It would basically be Medicare for All who wants it

And lower the Medicare age to 50. Most people don't get cancer scans until 65 even though it starts mostly in the 50s
politics_king
United States

« Reply #215 on: April 06, 2021, 10:05:00 AM »

The public option needs to be put in the bill. It will be extremely popular to voters, the Republicans won't be able to repeal it and it gets you one step closer to M4A.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #216 on: April 06, 2021, 10:07:23 AM »

The public option needs to be put in the bill. It will be extremely popular to voters, the Republicans won't be able to repeal it and it gets you one step closer to M4A.

My understanding was that the public option (or whatever health care reform they decide to go with) is being saved for the FY 2022 bill.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #217 on: April 06, 2021, 10:22:20 AM »

No they won’t.

Well, the legislation is certainly popular with the public. And it's kind of nice to have a President who actually cares about passing legislation that will help people.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #218 on: April 06, 2021, 05:10:28 PM »

Thank you Mr. Bezos!
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #219 on: April 06, 2021, 05:20:08 PM »

Thank you Mr. Bezos!

I wonder what Rick Scott’s vote fee is. I’m sure Bezos can cover it
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #220 on: April 06, 2021, 05:36:02 PM »

Thank you Mr. Bezos!

Gee, I wonder why a *checks notes* delivery company would want improved infrastructure?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #221 on: April 06, 2021, 06:07:22 PM »

Something's wrong, I can feel it.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #222 on: April 06, 2021, 07:33:10 PM »

Thank you Mr. Bezos!

This is a big deal and a Huge Blow to the GOP because now that Bezos is publicly backing a corporate a tax increase to pay for infrastructure I suspect we will see more corporations come out in support

Now lets be very clear about this Bezos is probably only doing this to get Berinie and the Unions off his back lol

In the end His support is still a huge boost to Biden and the Dems because It clearly shows the American people that even one of the richest man on the planet does not think that Biden increasing corporate taxes in order to rebuild our crumbling roads and bridges is a bad idea nor does he think that it will have a negative impact on his Buiessness at all

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #223 on: April 06, 2021, 07:33:39 PM »

If true, and even though it is against my financial self interest, I approve. If I were a tax phobe, I would have retired to Florida, not New York.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #224 on: April 06, 2021, 08:19:53 PM »

I don't think the bill can pass Congress without it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies