Kristi Noem gets in Twitter beef with Lil Nas X over shoes, souls
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 11:43:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kristi Noem gets in Twitter beef with Lil Nas X over shoes, souls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19
Author Topic: Kristi Noem gets in Twitter beef with Lil Nas X over shoes, souls  (Read 27372 times)
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2021, 12:26:12 AM »

Lil Nas X

He’s going to burn in Hell and I’m not ashamed to say it.

If that's true, then God is an idiot. Guess I'm headed that way myself. Cheers!
Don’t you dare say that

Watch me.
Burn in Hell, see if I care

"See if I care!", says the person who has posted in the thread 10 times...

In his defense, I don't think he implied he doesn't care about the great atrocity of these sneakers. It's simply the fate of my soul which leaves him unconcerned. I can't fault him for that though--I did have the audacity to question his interpretation of God's morality.
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2021, 12:30:01 AM »

Christianity can blow me
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2021, 12:30:09 AM »

Lil Nas X

If that's true, then God is an idiot. Guess I'm headed that way myself. Cheers!
Don’t you dare say that

Watch me.
Burn in Hell, see if I care

"See if I care!", says the person who has posted in the thread 10 times...

In his defense, I don't think he implied he doesn't care about the great atrocity of these sneakers. It's simply the fate of my soul which leaves him unconcerned. I can't fault him for that though--I did have the audacity to question his interpretation of God's morality.

I see. That does beg the question though; if he doesn't care about the fate of our souls, what is the point of preaching so much in this thread?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2021, 12:31:07 AM »

I'm enjoying the drama but YE's probably gonna lock the thread if this goes too much farther, so can we please get back to talking more about dumb shoes and governors and less about which users are going to burn in hell?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2021, 12:38:21 AM »

I can’t tell what’s sadder; people in this thread thinking 'Hell' and 'Satan' are actually real things that people should be concerned about, or BRTD - a 37 year old man - being eager to join a Christian mosh pit.

Write-in third option: Thinking shoes are uniquely immoral and ungodly while being a frequent customer at various strip clubs while not being self aware enough about one's self and one's own religion to see the irony.

Uh....some of the women dancing at said strip clubs have things like cross or ichthys tattoos and some wear cross necklaces or earrings. A lot of them are Christians too.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2021, 02:33:38 AM »

Lil Nas X

I mean...that’s pretty much what his new video is about.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2021, 02:42:13 AM »

Ugh, people don't look good in unnatural dyed hair and prosthetic nails. This trend brought on by the beauty instagram community never looked good.

Why can't I get a break with "plain" style men as the face of the gay community, my only options to get away from the dye are with men as old and rough as the leather they wear.

Other then that, the music is pretty well done and original and I actually do find artistic merit in the pole dance to hell.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2021, 06:11:06 AM »

I hope that Noem is mad at her social media manager for getting her into a twitter fight with Lil Nas X that, even if she "wins", isn't good for her brand. He's too good at Twitter and ready to get gay for her to look like a winner.

His tweet "ur a whole governor and u on here tweeting about some damn shoes. do ur job!" has 168k likes to 19k likes for her original post. I don't think she wants her picture paired with him poledancing for Satan in 2024 primaries coverage.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2021, 06:16:40 AM »

I can’t tell what’s sadder; people in this thread thinking 'Hell' and 'Satan' are actually real things that people should be concerned about, or BRTD - a 37 year old man - being eager to join a Christian mosh pit.

Write-in third option: Thinking shoes are uniquely immoral and ungodly while being a frequent customer at various strip clubs while not being self aware enough about one's self and one's own religion to see the irony.

Well put. BRTD, not to be taken seriously!

He's a Strip Club patron?  ROFL.

It's been 37 years today since I last drank alcohol.  It's been over three (3) decades since I've been to a Strip Club.  (Going there sober was not a smart idea.)  Whatever my faults, I know I'm Saved.  I also know what I've been Saved From!

God, the Father, sent his only Son to die to atone for every sin that every person will ever commit.  That includes LilNasX.  God, the Father waits for him to come to Him, and he's made the way to do so.  LilNasX is part of "Whosoever".
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2021, 06:40:02 AM »

Ugh.

I appreciate that Nas feels victimised by Christian conservatives. That's something we in the Church have a lot to answer for.

But his approach is just going to make things far f**king worse for some queer kids. I grew up in evangelical circles, and as someone who's both Christian and grappling with their own sexuality, this is going to be real bad. It's hard enough to have conversations about sexuality in most Christian circles, without people like Nas becoming viral examples of queer millennials.

He'll make a s**t ton of cash off of these stupid shoes, while a non-zero number of kids will be forced listen to their parents return to ranting about how gay people are 'dark, and with the Enemy.' Thanks a lot Nas.

I'd far rather follow the example of a Vicky Beeching for instance, a Christian artist who came out (at the expense of her recording career), and now advocates for LGBT members of the Church. Nas is out to troll the church, and will thus be entirely ignored, and literally demonised by them. Beeching gave many of my family pause, and almost certainly made things easier when one of my siblings came out a few years ago.

One of my other concerns about all this is that it may lead outlets like Fox News and Talk Radio to dig back into 'satanic panic' mode. Which could reinvigorate conspiracy cults like Qanon, that rely on imagined demon worship for their claims that our world is controlled by an 'evil cabal'.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2021, 06:51:41 AM »

Good. Normally I disagree with Kristi Noem but she’s in the right here

Lil Nas X is going Hell and so is anyone who wears these shoes or even purchases them. I’d like to warn other people too

Most likely. None of us really knows, though.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2021, 07:32:15 AM »

Ugh.

I appreciate that Nas feels victimised by Christian conservatives. That's something we in the Church have a lot to answer for.

But his approach is just going to make things far f**king worse for some queer kids. I grew up in evangelical circles, and as someone who's both Christian and grappling with their own sexuality, this is going to be real bad. It's hard enough to have conversations about sexuality in most Christian circles, without people like Nas becoming viral examples of queer millennials.

He'll make a s**t ton of cash off of these stupid shoes, while a non-zero number of kids will be forced listen to their parents return to ranting about how gay people are 'dark, and with the Enemy.' Thanks a lot Nas.

I'd far rather follow the example of a Vicky Beeching for instance, a Christian artist who came out (at the expense of her recording career), and now advocates for LGBT members of the Church. Nas is out to troll the church, and will thus be entirely ignored, and literally demonised by them. Beeching gave many of my family pause, and almost certainly made things easier when one of my siblings came out a few years ago.

One of my other concerns about all this is that it may lead outlets like Fox News and Talk Radio to dig back into 'satanic panic' mode. Which could reinvigorate conspiracy cults like Qanon, that rely on imagined demon worship for their claims that our world is controlled by an 'evil cabal'.

You seem to be blaming him as a gay artist in expressing his disdain for what religion has done to him for religious people's disproportionate, conspiratorial and wicked response to LGBT people in return.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2021, 07:42:30 AM »

Anyway, the video visually is really good. Draws on a lot of decadent homoerotic Christian imagery from repressed renaissance artists. He looks hot as f and breaks Satan's neck in the end and snatches his horns.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2021, 07:57:12 AM »

The problem with the situation and the length of this thread is that it has gotten more attention on the Right than the 18 people that died for simply existing these last two weeks.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2021, 08:01:32 AM »

The problem with the situation and the length of this thread is that it has gotten more attention on the Right than the 18 people that died for simply existing these last two weeks.

The right have always been more attracted to imagined threats than real ones.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2021, 08:05:52 AM »

This controversy is the only reason I have heard of Lil Nas X, and probably ever would have.

Sounds like the cons gave him exactly what he wanted.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2021, 08:10:45 AM »

Lil Nas X is going Hell and so is anyone who wears these shoes or even purchases them. I’d like to warn other people too

What the f*** is this? He’s going to hell because… he’s selling “satanic” shoes? Because he made a gay video? Get a grip, they’re just shoes. And personally, I think he did great with the video. No other artist this big has ever done anything as, well, homoerotic as that, and I applaud him for making a groundbreaking vid.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2021, 08:12:50 AM »

Kristi Noem should care more about the thousands of extra people she condemned to die with her idiotic COVID policies and allowing that stupid motorcycle rally, than clutching her pearls at some shoes using medieval imagery for shock value.
And given that, naturally it's motorcity who's riding the hardest for this sanctimony.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2021, 08:13:36 AM »

The right have always been more attracted to imagined threats than real ones.

That's cause with real threats, they'd actually have to do something about it.
Motorcity

« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2021, 08:14:11 AM »

What the f*** is this? He’s going to hell because… he’s selling “satanic” shoes? Because he made a gay video? Get a grip, they’re just shoes. And personally, I think he did great with the video. No other artist this big has ever done anything as, well, homoerotic as that, and I applaud him for making a groundbreaking vid.
Did I mention his video? Not once did I mention his video. I did not see it so I did not comment on it. But considering the otherworldly themes I won't be watching it

And besides, its not even that big. Its not like its the first homoerotic video. Besides, as another poster pointed out this only hurts young gay people struggling to be accepted. Chances are, if your parents dont accept you because of your sexuality they WILL not like these shoes
Motorcity

« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2021, 08:19:37 AM »

Kristi Noem should care more about the thousands of extra people she condemned to die with her idiotic COVID policies and allowing that stupid motorcycle rally, than clutching her pearls at some shoes using medieval imagery for shock value.
And given that, naturally it's motorcity who's riding the hardest for this sanctimony.
Out of curiosity, why is it natural that I am riding the hardest? I'm curious. Do I give that vibe in other threads?
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2021, 08:24:43 AM »

Did I mention his video? Not once did I mention his video. I did not see it so I did not comment on it. But considering the otherworldly themes I won't be watching it

And besides, its not even that big. Its not like its the first homoerotic video. Besides, as another poster pointed out this only hurts young gay people struggling to be accepted. Chances are, if your parents dont accept you because of your sexuality they WILL not like these shoes

Otherworldly themes? You’re saying you can’t watch the video because there is a depiction of Satan? Just wow

And yes it is that big. Obviously there have been homoerotic videos, but mostly female, and not as mainstream as this one. And do you care to explain how this hurts young gay people? Normalizing gay sex and being gay in general is a big deal for young people. Your only reasoning was tying back to the shoes, which is ridiculous given that they are just a marketing gimmick that few people will know about.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2021, 08:27:28 AM »

Oh look, fake christians trying to persecute others. Shocking I say. Roll Eyes
Motorcity

« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2021, 08:28:36 AM »

Otherworldly themes? You’re saying you can’t watch the video because there is a depiction of Satan? Just wow

And yes it is that big. Obviously there have been homoerotic videos, but mostly female, and not as mainstream as this one. And do you care to explain how this hurts young gay people? Normalizing gay sex and being gay in general is a big deal for young people. Your only reasoning was tying back to the shoes, which is ridiculous given that they are just a marketing gimmick that few people will know about.
I choose not to watch anything with Satan because it makes me uncomfortable. That is my right.

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2021, 08:31:26 AM »

The video is incredibly queer coded and overlayed with his experience as a black man. I understood the first layer extremely well.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies