Kristi Noem gets in Twitter beef with Lil Nas X over shoes, souls
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 11:33:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kristi Noem gets in Twitter beef with Lil Nas X over shoes, souls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19
Author Topic: Kristi Noem gets in Twitter beef with Lil Nas X over shoes, souls  (Read 27369 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: March 30, 2021, 06:24:49 PM »

3. Musicians have been using “Satanic” imagery to be edgy for decades. I fail to see how Lil Nas X using it in an extremely campy, tongue-in-cheek music video that climaxes in him literally killing the Devil somehow says something especially grave about a moment of uniquely “profound spiritual malaise” the country is supposedly facing.

And that's stupid as hell, as is trying to be edgy in music. Good music doesn't have to be edgy and can stand on its own merits.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #226 on: March 30, 2021, 06:25:43 PM »

3. Musicians have been using “Satanic” imagery to be edgy for decades. I fail to see how Lil Nas X using it in an extremely campy, tongue-in-cheek music video that climaxes in him literally killing the Devil somehow says something especially grave about a moment of uniquely “profound spiritual malaise” the country is supposedly facing.

And that's stupid as hell, as is trying to be edgy in music. Good music doesn't have to be edgy and can stand on its own merits.

I don't think he was saying the video is intelligent or groundbreaking, it just isn't a big deal. And he's right.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #227 on: March 30, 2021, 06:28:48 PM »

Entertainers gonna entertain. It clearly has resonated with a lot of viewers.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #228 on: March 30, 2021, 06:29:28 PM »

Gov. Noem is in the right on this issue, and I give major props to BRTD for standing up for her in this thread against the waves of people attacking him for actually caring. Yeah, satanic shoes aren't the most pressing issue in the world. Still, nobody should be in the business of normalizing or rehabilitating Satan's image and society should not be treating this as if it were something perfectly normal. That this is being written off as not a big deal speaks directly to the profound spiritual malaise that this country faces.
You're right. Maybe they'll normalize and rehabilitate Darth Vader's image next.

They should, the Death Star was a brilliant Keynesian jobs program.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #229 on: March 30, 2021, 06:32:05 PM »

That just shows how lame people are. All the music I listen to is as edgy as a butter knife and yet it's still entertaining as hell. Like are these people actually not being entertained? (I was actually at this!)

Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #230 on: March 30, 2021, 06:33:27 PM »

PAGE 10! GIVE IT UP FOR PAGE 10 OF THE KRISTI NOEM / LIL NAS X THREAD!!

Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #231 on: March 30, 2021, 06:45:04 PM »

That just shows how lame people are. All the music I listen to is as edgy as a butter knife and yet it's still entertaining as hell. Like are these people actually not being entertained? (I was actually at this!)

You, nor anyone else, has an objective standard on what is and what isn't entertaining.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #232 on: March 30, 2021, 06:49:53 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2021, 06:55:46 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

PAGE 10! GIVE IT UP FOR PAGE 10 OF THE KRISTI NOEM / LIL NAS X THREAD!!

After not posting here for many pages I was truly floored to see this topic reach ten pages SOLEly over something as inane as this.

*Bows and ignores the tomatoes being thrown*
RFayette 🇻🇦
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #233 on: March 30, 2021, 07:22:04 PM »

Gov. Noem is in the right on this issue, and I give major props to BRTD for standing up for her in this thread against the waves of people attacking him for actually caring. Yeah, satanic shoes aren't the most pressing issue in the world. Still, nobody should be in the business of normalizing or rehabilitating Satan's image and society should not be treating this as if it were something perfectly normal. That this is being written off as not a big deal speaks directly to the profound spiritual malaise that this country faces.

1. Satan is not real. Even a lot of Christians don’t believe there is literally a red guy with horns who lords over a fiery underworld, and there isn’t much in the Bible to support that. Most of that conception of Satan comes from Dante’s Inferno, Milton’s Paradise Lost, and various Looney Tunes cartoons. It’s not a real thing and it’s embarrassing for real live adults to not only believe in it but have a moral panic over it (AGAIN).

I don't see how you could read the New Testament and not see the reality of Satan and demons. Christ was tempted by Satan after fasting for 40 days in the desert.  He talks about Satan and spiritual warfare repeatedly, as do his early apostles and disciples in their New Testament letters.   
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #234 on: March 30, 2021, 07:37:48 PM »

Imagine being so homophobic that you spend 10 pages trying to justify it
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #235 on: March 30, 2021, 07:49:19 PM »

Uh, I don't see anyone here trying to justify homophobia, nor does this have anything to do with him being gay. I literally had not heard of this guy before this thread so I knew absolutely nothing about him including that he was gay. I just expressed my opinion on that the shoes are a very very sh!tty thing and I want absolutely nothing to do with this guy ever. There are many many LGBT Christians who would say the same.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #236 on: March 30, 2021, 07:51:24 PM »

I haven’t seen anyone be homophobic on this thread, which is remarkable given how hard Lil Nas is trolling.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #237 on: March 30, 2021, 07:53:08 PM »

I haven’t seen anyone be homophobic on this thread, which is remarkable given how hard Lil Nas is trolling.

The Motorcity guy called him a "pixie" but that stuck out more for how anachronistic it was than for homophobia.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #238 on: March 30, 2021, 07:54:01 PM »

The Motorcity guy called him a "pixie" but that stuck more for how anachronistic it was than for homophobia.

I don’t have any issues with anything he’s posted.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #239 on: March 30, 2021, 08:08:35 PM »

Also this guy had a much better reply than Noem, that's for sure:

Tbf celebrating a defeat is far from unheard of. A common fun fact I mention in some Spanish politics discussions is that 2 very politically different regions have a defeat in battle as their "regional holiday" (and those aren't even the lamest celebrations, not even close!)

Same applies to that tweet I guess?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #240 on: March 30, 2021, 08:21:00 PM »

How the heck does this thread have 7 more pages than the one about the member of congress under investigation for child sex trafficking?
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #241 on: March 30, 2021, 08:23:11 PM »

How the heck does this thread have 7 more pages than the one about the member of congress under investigation for child sex trafficking?

This thread has been around for two days longer than that one.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #242 on: March 30, 2021, 08:23:23 PM »

This thread is two days older. It's had a lot more time to get more pages.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #243 on: March 30, 2021, 08:25:03 PM »

1. Satan is not real. Even a lot of Christians don’t believe there is literally a red guy with horns who lords over a fiery underworld, and there isn’t much in the Bible to support that. Most of that conception of Satan comes from Dante’s Inferno, Milton’s Paradise Lost, and various Looney Tunes cartoons. It’s not a real thing and it’s embarrassing for real live adults to not only believe in it but have a moral panic over it (AGAIN).

I don't see how you could read the New Testament and not see the reality of Satan and demons. Christ was tempted by Satan after fasting for 40 days in the desert.  He talks about Satan and spiritual warfare repeatedly, as do his early apostles and disciples in their New Testament letters.   

The instance that always comes to mind for me is when Christ spoke of beholding Satan falling as lightning from Heaven (Lk. 10:18). While it is true that the concept of the Devil is heavily embellished by pop culture and later writings, our Lord identified this being as "a murderer from the beginning" and "the father of lies" (Jn. 8:44). If a lot of Christians don't believe that Satan is real, then all that means is that a lot of Christians are wrong, and they have chosen a very dangerous point to be wrong on.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #244 on: March 30, 2021, 08:28:08 PM »

Also this guy had a much better reply than Noem, that's for sure:

Tbf celebrating a defeat is far from unheard of. A common fun fact I mention in some Spanish politics discussions is that 2 very politically different regions have a defeat in battle as their "regional holiday" (and those aren't even the lamest celebrations, not even close!)

Same applies to that tweet I guess?

Technically Christians celebrate a defeat too, as we commemorate the crucifixion of Christ. We do so though with the understanding that He turned a crushing defeat into an overwhelming victory by His resurrection.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #245 on: March 30, 2021, 09:42:39 PM »

Roll Eyes This sounds like 80's Suburban megachurch moms shrieking "won't someone think of the children?!?" in response to Ozzy Osbourne and Slayer.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #246 on: March 30, 2021, 09:44:20 PM »

That's not remotely the point. Even assuming that proposition for sake of argument, the fact a state Governor got into a Twitter feud with him over it is beyond absurd.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #247 on: March 30, 2021, 09:47:29 PM »

Roll Eyes This sounds like 80's Suburban megachurch moms shrieking "won't someone think of the children?!?" in response to Ozzy Osbourne and Slayer.

Uh, what's the problem with that? Ozzy and Slayer suck. Now if that crowd had gone after say Minor Threat, I would have a problem with them.

Also seeing as how heavy metal music encouraged teen suicides I'd say the critics of it actually had a point...
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #248 on: March 30, 2021, 10:08:34 PM »

Said reality is only apparent under the premise that the New Testament is objectively correct. Which, of course, many people do not accept.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #249 on: March 30, 2021, 10:14:24 PM »

Uh, what's the problem with that? Ozzy and Slayer suck. Now if that crowd had gone after say Minor Threat, I would have a problem with them.

Also seeing as how heavy metal music encouraged teen suicides I'd say the critics of it actually had a point...

Good God, are you truly that immune to catching a point with both hands Zach? This isn't about your insular self-absorbed monomania with emo music end which music is good or bad. Repeat, get it through your attention whoring skull, that is not the point. The point is Kristi noem is getting all the shade well-deserved of a state Governor getting into a Twitter war with a hip hop artist over dime-store Satanism.

And teenage suicides? Really dude? Why don't you and Tipper Gore go restart the pmrc? Seriously, I will repeat, this sounds exactly like some Suburban megachurch mom shrieking what about the children.

So sad be RTD. All conservative all the time now
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies