NC-SEN, 2022: The Beasley Resurrection?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 05:16:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NC-SEN, 2022: The Beasley Resurrection?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 33
Author Topic: NC-SEN, 2022: The Beasley Resurrection?  (Read 47682 times)
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2021, 11:38:54 AM »

It's a shame Jackson's 2020 run never materialized (though beating Tillis was hardly guaranteed given how NC voted and the state's overall Republican lean); he's going to have an uphill battle next year.

I think he would have won in 2020. He reminds me of Kander or 2018 Beto, but in a much less red state than Missouri or Texas. Biden got nearly 20000 more votes in defeat than Tillis did in victory, so I think he could have easily made up that gap.

I think it would have been close, but by no means guaranteed a victory. North Carolina has a stubborn R lean on the federal level.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2021, 11:49:25 AM »

I am all in for Tim Ryan, Fetterman, Jeff Jackson, Tom Nelson and Warnock

Cook and Sabato ratings are meaningless until Oct 2022

Biden has a 52 Percent approvals not 40 percent Trump
Tim Ryan ruined himself by running for President like Bullock did, and Trump won Ohio by 8 points anyway. North Carolina didn't even vote for Biden, and if Walker is the GOP nominee in NC he probably wins regardless of Jeff Jackson or not. Wisconsin still voted right of the nation by nearly 4 points and Republicans won the GCB there by 3% so it is default R-leaning in a Biden midterm.
Pennsylvania depends on the Republican candidate, and Warnock is probably favored right now.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2021, 03:15:22 PM »

I am all in for Tim Ryan, Fetterman, Jeff Jackson, Tom Nelson and Warnock

Cook and Sabato ratings are meaningless until Oct 2022

Biden has a 52 Percent approvals not 40 percent Trump
Tim Ryan ruined himself by running for President like Bullock did, and Trump won Ohio by 8 points anyway. North Carolina didn't even vote for Biden, and if Walker is the GOP nominee in NC he probably wins regardless of Jeff Jackson or not. Wisconsin still voted right of the nation by nearly 4 points and Republicans won the GCB there by 3% so it is default R-leaning in a Biden midterm.
Pennsylvania depends on the Republican candidate, and Warnock is probably favored right now.

Bullock lost because D's shift on Oil policy, MT is an oil state.  Green new deal

Just we lost AK, TX, KS and IA the keystone Pipeline states

Ohio is much more competetive than MT, and will be competetive than Jim Jordan and his Dennis Hassert gay sex charge, Jordan will be targeted for that against Mandel and Tim Ryan

Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2021, 03:20:36 PM »

It's a shame Jackson's 2020 run never materialized (though beating Tillis was hardly guaranteed given how NC voted and the state's overall Republican lean); he's going to have an uphill battle next year.

I think he would have won in 2020. He reminds me of Kander or 2018 Beto, but in a much less red state than Missouri or Texas. Biden got nearly 20000 more votes in defeat than Tillis did in victory, so I think he could have easily made up that gap.

I think it would have been close, but by no means guaranteed a victory. North Carolina has a stubborn R lean on the federal level.
Spoiler Libertarian Candidate got 3.1% of the vote.
JMT

« Reply #129 on: February 01, 2021, 08:04:43 PM »

Former Chief Justice Cheri Beasley (D) will likely enter the Senate race within the next few days. Former Governor Pat McCrory (R) is also likely to enter, but likely won't announce a bid until later this year.

Additionally, Rep. Ted Budd (R) is considering the race. Lara Trump is considered unlikely to run at this point:

https://www.carolinajournal.com/news-article/former-governor-chief-justice-inch-closer-to-running-for-burrs-seat-in-the-u-s-senate/
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #130 on: February 01, 2021, 08:36:48 PM »

Former Chief Justice Cheri Beasley (D) will likely enter the Senate race within the next few days. Former Governor Pat McCrory (R) is also likely to enter, but likely won't announce a bid until later this year.

Additionally, Rep. Ted Budd (R) is considering the race. Lara Trump is considered unlikely to run at this point:

https://www.carolinajournal.com/news-article/former-governor-chief-justice-inch-closer-to-running-for-burrs-seat-in-the-u-s-senate/

What kind of candidate would McCrory be? I assume a weak one given that he lost reelection in a presidential year when a Republican carried NC, but you never know.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #131 on: February 01, 2021, 09:15:17 PM »

Jeff Jackson will be the Fav here to win this seat
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #132 on: February 01, 2021, 09:18:36 PM »

Jackson vs. McCrory is the best-case scenario for Democrats. Even then, Jackson's odds are no better than 50/50.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #133 on: February 01, 2021, 10:30:55 PM »

McCrory pls
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #134 on: February 02, 2021, 09:31:38 AM »

Jackson vs. McCrory is the best-case scenario for Democrats.

Mark Robinson? Madison Cawthorn? Lara Trump? The NC Republican bench is wide and full of terrible candidates. I’m not even sure McCrory would remain a particularly weak candidate with his bathroom bill debacle 6+ years behind him.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2021, 09:33:39 AM »

2nd tier battleground state but D's aren't worried about NC yet
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #136 on: February 02, 2021, 09:47:14 AM »

Mark Robinson? Madison Cawthorn? Lara Trump? The NC Republican bench is wide and full of terrible candidates. I’m not even sure McCrory would remain a particularly weak candidate with his bathroom bill debacle 6+ years behind him.

McCrory is a wet noodle who wouldn't energize the base, unlike the people above. That's probably more useful for Democrats.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2021, 10:48:49 AM »

I haven’t heard of McCrory recently, but he’ll be interesting as he’s a pre-trump republican. I wonder how he’ll try and sell himself as a return to the old “bush era republicans” or a dyed in the wool trumpian
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: February 02, 2021, 11:00:12 AM »

It's a 2nd tier battleground like OH but if the Economy comes back next yr, it moves to Pure Tossup but don't think that D's can't get a 54)46 Map
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #139 on: February 02, 2021, 11:00:53 AM »
« Edited: February 02, 2021, 11:06:22 AM by Roll Roons »

I haven’t heard of McCrory recently, but he’ll be interesting as he’s a pre-trump republican. I wonder how he’ll try and sell himself as a return to the old “bush era republicans” or a dyed in the wool trumpian

It's hard to say. He styled himself as a pragmatic moderate "Eisenhower" Republican, but got caught up in culture war BS with the bathroom bill. And then when he narrowly lost reelection, he blamed it on voter fraud.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2021, 11:06:52 AM »

I met Pat McCrory while he was a "visiting scholar" at UNC-Chapel Hill in 2018 with the Institute of Politics. He held office hours periodically, where any student could reserve time to meet with him, and myself and a few friends met did just that.

There were two takeaways I had from meeting with him: one is that he's a bit of an idiot--he seemed to think that Deval Patrick would have a good shot at winning the Democratic nomination, for example.

But the second was very striking--he seems to believe that he was "brought down" in 2016. The meeting with him was suffused with his obvious bitterness over that election, and he seemed to blame Soros-esque paid protestors as the reason for the public outcry over HB2. He also seemed to be favorable towards a "stolen election"-type narrative regarding 2016 as well.

I point this out to argue that McCrory is clearly a bit of Trumpian figure in his own way, though he lacks the requisite charisma.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2021, 01:39:29 PM »

McCrory is a wet noodle who wouldn't energize the base, unlike the people above. That's probably more useful for Democrats.

McCrory being a wet noodle probably hurts more than I'd considered (I forgot there wasn't any other high-profile election on the NC ballot in 2022), but I think Cawthorn has plenty of capacity to annoy his own supporters. As for Lara Trump, I suspect that she'll be about as well-received (relative to the original Trump) about as well as any scion of a well-known national political dynasty (i.e. not well). McCrory still strikes me as a bad candidate but I maintain that there are worse choices for NC Republicans.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2021, 01:54:12 PM »

McCrory being a wet noodle probably hurts more than I'd considered (I forgot there wasn't any other high-profile election on the NC ballot in 2022), but I think Cawthorn has plenty of capacity to annoy his own supporters. As for Lara Trump, I suspect that she'll be about as well-received (relative to the original Trump) about as well as any scion of a well-known national political dynasty (i.e. not well). McCrory still strikes me as a bad candidate but I maintain that there are worse choices for NC Republicans.

Cawthorn won't be old enough.
MRS DONNA SHALALA
cuddlebuns
South Africa

« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2021, 04:38:35 PM »

Cawthorn is 25, he can't run for Senate for another 5 years.
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #144 on: February 02, 2021, 09:23:26 PM »

Cawthorn is 25, he can't run for Senate for another 5 years.

I'll be damned if cawthorn replaces Thom Tillis...
Tiger08
Rookie

« Reply #145 on: February 10, 2021, 09:34:25 AM »

Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #146 on: February 11, 2021, 02:37:20 PM »

Now use this in ads against him
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #147 on: February 11, 2021, 08:23:57 PM »

Jeff Jackson will ultimately win if it's Walker or Pat McCrory, McCrory is old news
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #148 on: February 11, 2021, 08:33:54 PM »

Now use this in ads against him

A waste of airtime, worth even less than the Stood with Qanon pitches suggested here.
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2021, 09:00:53 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 33  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies