Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:50:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 184 185 186 [187] 188 189 190 191 192 ... 226
Author Topic: Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread  (Read 267775 times)
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4650 on: January 06, 2021, 12:30:29 AM »

I do think Rs start off as favorites for GA-SEN and GOV in 2022 but I suspect those will be the last statewide R wins (if they win at all) for a long time in Georgia. Weird to think that Ossoff may well be starting a lifer senate career.

Why would you think that.
I mean...because it’s a Biden midterm lol? I get that GA is trending D but I suspect the national environment will be more of a shift than that over the next two years. Plus Trumpism probably sped up the trend to some extent. I’m not saying Ds can’t win but it’s hard to imagine they’ll be favored in a vacuum.

It was "a Bush midterm" when Max Cleland was defeated. Don't buy into nonsense.

2002 was the best election night for the GOP since 1994 though and a midterm like 2002 is extremely rare for a party to have .

Also Georgia in 2000 was clearly more republican than Georgia is democratic today

Okay, what's your point?
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #4651 on: January 06, 2021, 12:30:34 AM »

I'll send the first person to recommend this post $10 if both Ossoff and Warnock win. Remember, I pay.

edit: TarHeelDem it is!

Congrats! Check PMs tomorrow.

Amazing night.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4652 on: January 06, 2021, 12:31:12 AM »

Ugh hopefully Manchin uses his power to stop the left wing agenda and force a more centrist agenda to pass

Biden's agenda is already fairly centrist. It's like some Republicans forget who won the primaries.

Yah centrist compared to how far left the Democratic Party has become but it’s still much to the left of the Democratic Party circa 2015

2015? I really don't get the sense the party has moved all that left since then. Bernie lost twice, "The Squad" doesn't have any power within the party. The leftists may be loud but they are hardly pulling the strings of the party.

Yeah OSR doesn't have to worry. The policies of supporting the genocide in Yemen and letting people die because they can't afford insulin are safe with you.

On the night we win the Senate you really want to talk about how a Democrat Senate is just as bad as a Republican Senate.

Absolutely not. Alben Barkley was saying s***t that deserved a response.

He might just be an asshole and make me feel bad I ever defended him.
SCNCmod

« Reply #4653 on: January 06, 2021, 12:31:49 AM »

Fox is already helping pushing: voting irregularities... poll observers not being close enough ... etc  (and this is Shannon Beam, not Hannity or Laura or the like)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4654 on: January 06, 2021, 12:31:52 AM »

Time to start packing the Federal Courts with 28 year old progressive Judges.

**Cough cough 28 year old liberal lawyer here cough cough**

Damn it. Who knew I peaked almost a quarter-century ago?
randomusername

« Reply #4655 on: January 06, 2021, 12:31:57 AM »

I know Garland is considered a favorite for AG, though I'm skeptical. Wonder if he finally gets his SCOTUS seat if Breyer retires.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #4656 on: January 06, 2021, 12:32:11 AM »

I do think Rs start off as favorites for GA-SEN and GOV in 2022 but I suspect those will be the last statewide R wins (if they win at all) for a long time in Georgia. Weird to think that Ossoff may well be starting a lifer senate career.

I mean...because it’s a Biden midterm lol? I get that GA is trending D but I suspect the national environment will be more of a shift than that over the next two years. Plus Trumpism probably sped up the trend to some extent. I’m not saying Ds can’t win but it’s hard to imagine they’ll be favored in a vacuum.

2002 was the best election night for the GOP since 1994 though and a midterm like 2002 is extremely rare for a party to have .

Also Georgia in 2000 was clearly more republican than Georgia is democratic today

Okay, what's your point?

Using 2002 a baseline for 2022 is pretty ridiculous
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #4657 on: January 06, 2021, 12:32:50 AM »

I’d like to point out that Ossoff is Jewish. So a state with a notorious history of lynching Jews and blacks has just elected them to the senate for the first time at the same time

To be fair, I think there was only one high-profile Jewish victim of lynching, Leo Frank, and you can't really compare that to what African-Americans experienced over time. 

Now we’re going to have a Jewish majority leader as well. And Secretary of State, secretary of the treasury, secretary of homeland security, chief of staff, and second gentleman.

True, but we kind of have that now with Jared Kushner.

Biden’s son in laws are both Jewish actually too I think

I didn’t know that. Interesting that Trump, the Clintons, Al Gore, and Joe Biden all have Jewish sons-in-law, as did Jackie Kennedy.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4658 on: January 06, 2021, 12:32:57 AM »

So let's see:

-Trump lost but couldn't accept it and had to alienate voters more and bring out Democrats by being a whiny b!tch for two months.
-Trump proposed one popular thing ($2000 check giveaways) and that's the one thing Republicans declined to support him on.
-Republicans lose the Senate due to Republicans supporting Trump on the former and not bothering with the one thing he supported that could've redeemed them.

Is Trump a character on Peep Show or Arrested Development?

Veep is a contender.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4659 on: January 06, 2021, 12:33:02 AM »

Okay, what's your point?

Using 2002 a baseline for 2022 is pretty ridiculous

Midterm theory is ridiculous.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4660 on: January 06, 2021, 12:33:04 AM »

Ugh hopefully Manchin uses his power to stop the left wing agenda and force a more centrist agenda to pass

Biden's agenda is already fairly centrist. It's like some Republicans forget who won the primaries.

Yah centrist compared to how far left the Democratic Party has become but it’s still much to the left of the Democratic Party circa 2015

2015? I really don't get the sense the party has moved all that left since then. Bernie lost twice, "The Squad" doesn't have any power within the party. The leftists may be loud but they are hardly pulling the strings of the party.

Yeah OSR doesn't have to worry. The policies of supporting the genocide in Yemen and letting people die because they can't afford insulin are safe with you.

On the night we win the Senate you really want to talk about how a Democrat Senate is just as bad as a Republican Senate.

Alben Barkley is right about the true significance of the squad and the Left of the party. Sorry to say it, but it's true. If anything, I admire his brutal honesty.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4661 on: January 06, 2021, 12:33:27 AM »

Can’t wait until people unironically predict that Warnock is more likely to lose than Hassan/Kelly/Cortez Masto in 2022.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4662 on: January 06, 2021, 12:33:33 AM »

Silence Republican! Lake all members of your party, you have Giro moral Authority, as in none whatsoever, to complain about how the opposing party has supposedly embraced extremism.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #4663 on: January 06, 2021, 12:33:44 AM »

The left still has more influence than they did five years ago (not trying to argue with you, but the victories of The Squad and other left insurgents were still significant as far as the party's ideological balance goes).
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4664 on: January 06, 2021, 12:33:50 AM »

I know Garland is considered a favorite for AG, though I'm skeptical. Wonder if he finally gets his SCOTUS seat if Breyer retires.
No, Biden has pledged to pick a Black woman and Garland was a compromise pick that Obama made. If Biden doesn't pick a Black woman, most Black voters and probably most Democratic voters will be outraged.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4665 on: January 06, 2021, 12:33:52 AM »

OMG.
I have never seen a turtle move that fast.
It actually startled me for a second.
LOL
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4666 on: January 06, 2021, 12:34:07 AM »

Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #4667 on: January 06, 2021, 12:34:13 AM »

Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4668 on: January 06, 2021, 12:34:37 AM »

Tonight I'm praising the god I pray to. I feel safer as an LGBT American now than I did when I woke up this morning. That $2,000 check is going to put a massive dent in a health insurance deductible I can't afford. Thank you thank you thank you to every Georgian who voted for Ossoff and Warnock.

Oh brother, as an lgbt american, I feel the exact same and think this kind of tokenism of identity is ridiculous.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4669 on: January 06, 2021, 12:35:21 AM »

SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4670 on: January 06, 2021, 12:35:29 AM »

Alben Barkley is right about the true significance of the squad and the Left of the party. Sorry to say it, but it's true. If anything, I admire his brutal honesty.

But it's not brutal honesty. It was a photo that right wing media played up. No different then if Ossoff and Warnock get called "the brothers" since they referenced that and it gets manipulated in a racist way because of one comment made off hand.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #4671 on: January 06, 2021, 12:35:32 AM »

This is so beautiful.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #4672 on: January 06, 2021, 12:35:54 AM »

Silence Republican! Lake all members of your party, you have Giro moral Authority, as in none whatsoever, to complain about how the opposing party has supposedly embraced extremism.

The 2017 tax reform , deregulation were clealry good things and not far right
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4673 on: January 06, 2021, 12:36:39 AM »

Warnock speaking now.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4674 on: January 06, 2021, 12:36:46 AM »

I just want to say that although I was working and unable to participate in the Atlas / Talk Election Georgia E-Night marathon, it has been (mostly) a pleasure going through and power reading through the coverage.

Congrats to what appears to be the new "Junior" and "Senior" Democratic Senators of Georgia (unless something really funky happens).
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 184 185 186 [187] 188 189 190 191 192 ... 226  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies