Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 10:50:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 182 183 184 [185] 186 187 188 189 190 ... 226
Author Topic: Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread  (Read 271890 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4600 on: January 06, 2021, 12:20:30 AM »

Ugh hopefully Manchin uses his power to stop the left wing agenda and force a more centrist agenda to pass

Biden's agenda is already fairly centrist. It's like some Republicans forget who won the primaries.

Yah centrist compared to how far left the Democratic Party has become but it’s still much to the left of the Democratic Party circa 2015

2015? I really don't get the sense the party has moved all that left since then. Bernie lost twice, "The Squad" doesn't have any power within the party. The leftists may be loud but they are hardly pulling the strings of the party.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4601 on: January 06, 2021, 12:20:41 AM »

So when will Ossoff actually take the lead?
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4602 on: January 06, 2021, 12:20:49 AM »

Ugh hopefully Manchin uses his power to stop the left wing agenda and force a more centrist agenda to pass

Biden's agenda is already fairly centrist. It's like some Republicans forget who won the primaries.

Yah centrist compared to how far left the Democratic Party has become but it’s still much to the left of the Democratic Party circa 2015

Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #4603 on: January 06, 2021, 12:20:57 AM »

I’d like to point out that Ossoff is Jewish. So a state with a notorious history of lynching Jews and blacks has just elected them to the senate for the first time at the same time

To be fair, I think there was only one high-profile Jewish victim of lynching, Leo Frank, and you can't really compare that to what African-Americans experienced over time. 

Now we’re going to have a Jewish majority leader as well. And Secretary of State, secretary of the treasury, secretary of homeland security, chief of staff, and second gentleman.

True, but we kind of have that now with Jared Kushner.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #4604 on: January 06, 2021, 12:21:06 AM »

We're talking about fractions of fractions of percents. Both are pathetic, but Loeffler was facing a scandalous candidate in a run-off year. GA Democrats don't exactly have a great record in runoff years.

McSally lost barely against 2 strong democratic candidates.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4605 on: January 06, 2021, 12:21:13 AM »

How long until Ossoff runs for President?

16 years, but a plagiarism scandal might force him to drop out. 20 years later, he'll run again & end up getting the VP slot. 12 years after that, he'll be elected President.

Ossoff will be elected president at age 78 in 2064.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4606 on: January 06, 2021, 12:21:21 AM »

Republicans, if you're feeling bummed I have good news for you

McDonald (R) looks to have beaten Blackman (D) for the District 4 Public Service Commission runoff

Just took a moment to realize I'm 4 for 4 for statewide races this year (Biden - Ossoff - Warnock - McDonald)!
“As goes ForsythVoter so goes Georgia”
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #4607 on: January 06, 2021, 12:21:45 AM »

So when will Ossoff actually take the lead?

Seems like it could be literally any minute, depending on where any given upcoming vote dump is from & how good it is.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4608 on: January 06, 2021, 12:21:50 AM »

2015? I really don't get the sense the party has moved all that left since then. Bernie lost twice, "The Squad" doesn't have any power within the party. The leftists may be loud but they are hardly pulling the strings of the party.

I want to rec this but using right wing terms like "squad" means I can't in good faith.
UncleSam

« Reply #4609 on: January 06, 2021, 12:21:52 AM »

I do think Rs start off as favorites for GA-SEN and GOV in 2022 but I suspect those will be the last statewide R wins (if they win at all) for a long time in Georgia. Weird to think that Ossoff may well be starting a lifer senate career.

Why would you think that.
I mean...because it’s a Biden midterm lol? I get that GA is trending D but I suspect the national environment will be more of a shift than that over the next two years. Plus Trumpism probably sped up the trend to some extent. I’m not saying Ds can’t win but it’s hard to imagine they’ll be favored in a vacuum.
Phenix621
Rookie
United States

« Reply #4610 on: January 06, 2021, 12:21:57 AM »

I'd argue it's still an underratedly Southern state even today.

People staying forgetting that Florida has one of the highest percentages of mobile homes in the country.  

Florida is part Spanish, part old school Brooklyn, part redneck, but full retard.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4611 on: January 06, 2021, 12:22:06 AM »

How long until Ossoff runs for President?

16 years, but a plagiarism scandal might force him to drop out. 20 years later, he'll run again & end up getting the VP slot. 12 years after that, he'll be elected President.

You know I was actually just thinking this is kinda similar to Joe's first win. Really close win against an incumbent by a really young guy who will probably stick around for a while.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4612 on: January 06, 2021, 12:22:40 AM »

I want to rec this but using right wing terms like "squad" means I can't in good faith.

LOL what? They refer to themselves as the Squad!
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4613 on: January 06, 2021, 12:23:04 AM »

I'd argue it's still an underratedly Southern state even today.
Nope. Only North Florida is truly "Southern".
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4614 on: January 06, 2021, 12:23:06 AM »

I do think Rs start off as favorites for GA-SEN and GOV in 2022 but I suspect those will be the last statewide R wins (if they win at all) for a long time in Georgia. Weird to think that Ossoff may well be starting a lifer senate career.

I mean...because it’s a Biden midterm lol? I get that GA is trending D but I suspect the national environment will be more of a shift than that over the next two years. Plus Trumpism probably sped up the trend to some extent. I’m not saying Ds can’t win but it’s hard to imagine they’ll be favored in a vacuum.

It was "a Bush midterm" when Max Cleland was defeated. Don't buy into nonsense.
n1240

« Reply #4615 on: January 06, 2021, 12:23:12 AM »

Bibb adds some mail, Ossoff wins these 1025-364.
SCNCmod

« Reply #4616 on: January 06, 2021, 12:23:20 AM »

Ossoff will be the first millennial in the U.S. Senate.

I think he will be the youngest Senator since Biden was 1st elected to the Senate (although I could be incorrect... I know he will be the youngest in the last 40 years).

I mean, Biden himself was elected 48 years ago, so

My Mistake, I looked it up- Biden was elected at the age of 30... but that was 48 years ago (as you stated).  

The last Senator elected at a younger age than Ossoff- was Don Nickles (Elected 40 years ago at the age of 32.  He went on to serve as Oklahoma's Senator for the next 24 years).
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #4617 on: January 06, 2021, 12:23:29 AM »

Yeah OSR doesn't have to worry. The policies of supporting the genocide in Yemen and letting people die because they can't afford insulin are safe with you.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4618 on: January 06, 2021, 12:23:34 AM »

Fun fact: Stacey Abrams was ranked at #100 in the Forbes 100 most powerful women list for 2020. I didn't really understand it at the time, but now I do.

https://www.forbes.com/profile/stacey-abrams/?sh=2c0586785a0a
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4619 on: January 06, 2021, 12:24:05 AM »

It was "a Bush midterm" when Max Cleland was defeated. Don't buy into nonsense.
GA doesn't tend to move too much on basis of midterm vs presidential year. GA is wave-proof and hyper-polarized.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4620 on: January 06, 2021, 12:24:28 AM »

LOL what? They refer to themselves as the Squad!

Ok but horseshoe theory renders that point moot. Don't let Republicans define Democrats, even if some Democrats are stupid.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #4621 on: January 06, 2021, 12:24:33 AM »

So no democrat majority after all?? I'm not sure whether to trust this (yet).

F**k Joe Manchin
No one but Joe Manchin could have won that seat.

I don't trust the source.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4622 on: January 06, 2021, 12:24:46 AM »

Can someone please explain to me why people keep mentioning Manchin?

He's the most likely member of the Democratic caucus to object to a piece of progressive legislation in a 50-50 Senate. Biden and Schumer will probably have to cut a lot of deals with him to make sure he doesn't give the Republicans a 51st "no" vote on something like repealing Trump's tax cuts for the rich.

Trump's tax cuts for the rich need to be shot dead on the street and have its body sent to the sun. I've seen actual piles of sh**t that were less full of sh**t than the idea of trickle down working

Shhhhhh. Dont say this too loud.
OSR might hear you and become very upset.
Smiley
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4623 on: January 06, 2021, 12:24:59 AM »

Yeah OSR doesn't have to worry. The policies of supporting the genocide in Yemen and letting people die because they can't afford insulin are safe with you.

Aw come on, can we not just have one night without the in-fighting that I'm sure will get real intense soon enough?
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #4624 on: January 06, 2021, 12:25:40 AM »

imho only North Florida is unambiguously Southern and only the Panhandle can really be called the Deep South (and even that is somewhat iffy, especially now)
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 182 183 184 [185] 186 187 188 189 190 ... 226  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies