Elizabeth Warren 2020 Megathread v2 (pg 35 - Emily List support)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:05:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Elizabeth Warren 2020 Megathread v2 (pg 35 - Emily List support)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 37
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren 2020 Megathread v2 (pg 35 - Emily List support)  (Read 58144 times)
Cinemark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: January 13, 2020, 07:50:31 PM »

I'm kind of shocked she released such a blunt statement. Good on her.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #276 on: January 13, 2020, 07:51:40 PM »

Well this is a train wreck. Biden is gonna win the nom with ease 😕
96FJV
Rookie
« Reply #277 on: January 13, 2020, 07:54:08 PM »

Think that maybe it for Warren now. This story has been a mess and an obvious smear. She was already starting to sink.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #278 on: January 13, 2020, 09:09:01 PM »

Wow, my opinion of Warren had sunk quite a bit recently, but I didn't think she was this much of a terrible person. Never Warren!
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #279 on: January 13, 2020, 09:12:47 PM »

Wow, my opinion of Warren had sunk quite a bit recently, but I didn't think she was this much of a terrible person. Never Warren!

She is a fraud & lied about her Native American Heritage to get jobs. She was a Republican who cheered on Reagan's war on poor, African Americans, Single Mothers.

She has exposed herself as a vile person. At a time when Sanders was leading in Iowa, NH & California & was neck on neck in Nevada, she has taken politics to the gutter. This was Bernie's one chance to beat Joe Biden & the last debate before Iowa & she lied & lied & lied to damage Bernie.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #280 on: January 13, 2020, 09:25:55 PM »

Reposting this here, because I'm very proud of it:

This whole spat reminds me of an incident in my Congressional primary in 2018. On the stage of a candidate forum, a high-profile female candidate claimed, on multiple occasions, that state party leadership told her not to run because she was a woman. She was, to the naked eye, running closely with a male, progressive candidate supported by the state party. For whatever reason, she made a bold claim of sexism from certain party leaders.

The only problem was that she was a carpetbagger. Obviously, party leadership told not to run because she only lived in the state for a few months before making her run, and someone actually rebuffed her on the debate stage. It later leaked that she explicitly moved to my district to run for Congress, further her political career, and the original plan was to try and primary a progressive leader in the state from the right.

This story reminds me exactly of that - a desperate, cynical exploitation of real issues that women face for personal gain. A cursory scan of the record will show that not only Sanders thinks a woman can win the Presidency, but thought Warren herself could. It's a "he said, she said", but the "she said" part goes against everything that Bernie has said and done for the past 30 years. The only thing backing this up is the word of an anonymous staffer who wasn't there at the meeting, so I'll take the 30 years of consistency all day.

Say what you want about Hillary Clinton, but she'd never pull something like this. I believe the reason she blames Bernie is because she felt like he shouldn't have run, but she'd never fabricate an accusation of sexism. Even Kamala Harris, whose Twitter supporters are a who's who of the worst of the party, wouldn't do something like this. It's disappointing to see that one of my political heroes has turned into a pile of gutter trash who would do anything to get the nomination, and it's a ****ing joke that the media called Hillary sketchy while they gleefully amplify Warren's abject smear.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #281 on: January 13, 2020, 09:29:42 PM »

I'm personally on the fence. I realize the threat Trump faces, which admittedly is why I'm voting for Biden and Buttigieg in the general if they win.

At the same time, if I wanted to vote for a serial liar who engages in gutter politics, I'd vote for Donald Trump.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #282 on: January 13, 2020, 09:31:52 PM »

Good for Warren.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #283 on: January 13, 2020, 09:44:33 PM »

I'm personally on the fence. I realize the threat Trump faces, which admittedly is why I'm voting for Biden and Buttigieg in the general if they win.

At the same time, if I wanted to vote for a serial liar who engages in gutter politics, I'd vote for Donald Trump.

At least go for the gutter that isn't gutting taxes left and right.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #284 on: January 13, 2020, 09:45:54 PM »

I don't think her concerns are genuine, because even after 2018 they remained great friends. She is only doing this now because she wants to throw Sanders under the bus right before the debate to gain momentum. This is political and doesn't mean anything about Bernie.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #285 on: January 13, 2020, 09:48:33 PM »

I don't think her concerns are genuine, because even after 2018 they remained great friends. She is only doing this now because she wants to throw Sanders under the bus right before the debate to gain momentum. This is political and doesn't mean anything about Bernie.

Why is this Fake Story being leaked 1 day before the Iowa Debate & 1 year after it happened? How did the press report about it or how does some staffer know about it when only Warren & Bernie were in the room?

This is despicable. This is why Joe Biden will win.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #286 on: January 13, 2020, 10:23:16 PM »

This is a good move on Warren's part.  She's trailing, and unless she shakes things up she's going to lose.  This accusation avoids any ideological or policy dispute (which would never win over any Sanders voters anyway, even if Warren were right on the merits) and potentially stokes sympathy/solidarity for the only woman front-runner:  yet again a talented, hard-working public servant is being written off because of her gender.  What's more, it's a credible accusation that is in keeping with Sanders past publicly stated attitudes.  We all remember Sanders declaiming on how Gillum and Abrams lost because voters weren't ready to vote for black candidates, right?
redjohn

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #287 on: January 13, 2020, 10:27:18 PM »

Really cool of Liz to completely misconstrue/lie about a conversation with a friend and colleague of hers. Super low blow from a candidate who has no chance and so feels she must pull a Hail Mary. She's lost a potential supporter in me.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #288 on: January 13, 2020, 10:29:37 PM »

Really cool of Liz to completely misconstrue/lie about a conversation with a friend and colleague of hers. Super low blow from a candidate who has no chance and so feels she must pull a Hail Mary. She's lost a potential supporter in me.

Maybe she's telling the truth?

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #289 on: January 13, 2020, 10:32:23 PM »

Man this reaction from the Sanders supporters is so eye-rollingly cringey.

Y'all have no idea whether this is true or not, but you've just decided that it's a lie, and Warren is a horrible person.

What evidence do you have that it's a lie?  No direct evidence, except that Bernie has in public said that he thinks women can win.  Of course, the things politicians say in private deliberations with their competitors don't always align exactly with what they say in public when there is nothing on the line.  But that won't stop you.  It took a few hours for Rose Twitter to get its act together and find an excuse, but now you've found your shield and you're all gonna hide behind it and just convince yourselves that Warren is lying.

This behavior is identical to how Trump supporters behave.  IDENTICAL.  Just replace Twitter with Fox News.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #290 on: January 13, 2020, 10:34:57 PM »

The Elizabeth Warren position:

Bernie (who has also said stuff like, not voting for a black person doesn't make you racist) said a year ago that a woman can't win, which is moderately controversial but nothing worse than what Biden said a couple weeks ago.

The Bernie Sanders position:

After being friends and political allies with Bernie for years, she makes up a lie to make him look bad and sexist, solely because she's down in the polls, and anonymously leaks it, thinking it will help her campaign, even though she's been trying to make the argument that she'd be a unity candidate, and that the biggest winner would be Biden, who she has had public feuds with.

What Sanders is accusing Warren of is a lot worse than what Warren is accusing Sanders of, and you'd have to radically shift your opinion of Warren and her campaign strategy a lot more to believe Sanders' version.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #291 on: January 13, 2020, 10:38:53 PM »

At least go for the gutter that isn't gutting taxes left and right.

Oh, I'm indubitably going to. At the end of the day, I don't have the privilege to be choosy.

At the very least, I have a greater appreciation for Biden. He would never smear anyone like this.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #292 on: January 13, 2020, 10:40:29 PM »

Bernie (who has also said stuff like, not voting for a black person doesn't make you racist) said a year ago that a woman can't win, which is moderately controversial but nothing worse than what Biden said a couple weeks ago.

After being friends with Bernie for years, she makes up a lie to make him look bad and sexist, solely because she's down in the polls, and anonymously leaks it, thinking it will help her campaign, even though she's been trying to make the argument that she'd be a unity candidate.

What Sanders is accusing Warren of is a lot worse than what Warren is accusing Sanders of, and you'd have to radically shift your opinion of Warren and her campaign strategy a lot more to believe Sanders' version.

Fake NEWS -

Bernie Sanders in 1988 - A Woman should run for President & can win while supporting Jesse Jackson

Bernie Sanders in 2015 - Urges Elizabeth Warren to run for President in 2015 & only runs when she declines.

Sanders in 2019/2020 - A Woman can't win. (FAKE STORY) & inconsistent with bernie's record but consistent with Warren's record of lies.

Now how does this story get leaked to the press? How does it go to the press 1 year after it happened & 1 day before the Iowa Debate. Sanders & his campaign has called it a lie. Sanders has said he never said & calls it ridiculous & has said he only discussed in depth about a hypothetical 2020 GE matchup & the sexism Trump would use but never about a woman not being able to win.

Hence either Sanders made this remarks which is inconsistent with his career & Warren now leaks this private conversation 1 day before the Iowa Debate.

Or Elizabeth Warren lies/twists Bernie's words & smears him (which is how she is given her history of lying)
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #293 on: January 13, 2020, 10:44:39 PM »

Elizabeth Warren claims she 'objected' to Sondland confirmation – did she?

And, in a new TV commercial, the Democratic presidential candidate specifically calls out Gordon Sondland, a big donor to Donald Trump nominated by the president as U.S. ambassador to the European Union. Warren now says she "objected" to Sondland's nomination – but a review of the record shows the senator did not, in fact, oppose his confirmation on the floor.

The ad, which started running Friday in Iowa, focuses on Sondland, who two months ago became a household name as he was a key witness in the House impeachment inquiry into the president. “At the center of Donald Trump’s crimes and chaos is the millionaire donor he made an ambassador,” Warren says in the spot over pictures of Sondland. “Republicans and Democrats have been rewarding big donors with cushy ambassadorships like this for years,” she says. “It’s Washington corruption at its worst.”

Sondland was confirmed by voice vote in June 2018. Warren and the rest of the senators consented to a “voice vote” for Sondland’s confirmation to occur at a session in which Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell was the only lawmaker in the chamber. Any member of the Senate could have raised an objection to the nomination – but none did.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/warren-objected-sondland-ambassadorship

BTW Warren is also lying about ambassadorship & is putting ads about it. Another disturbing pattern.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #294 on: January 13, 2020, 10:49:38 PM »

The extreme, extreme, extreme triggering of Sanders supporters is really illustrative of the campaign.

This could be such an innocuous story if Bernie and his supporters knew how to behave like adults.  Bernie could just say:

Quote from: Gracious Bernie Sanders in an alternate universe
I used some unfortunate language during a private conversation with Elizabeth Warren a few years ago.  I believe sexism is still a major issue in electoral politics, and while expressing this concern, I used some clumsy language.  I apologize for hurting Warren's feelings, and I would never want to discourage her or any woman from running for the highest office in our land.  I look forward to working together with her to enact progressive change now and in the future.

That's it, that's all you've got to say.  Even if it never happened, just swallow your pride and apologize.  By being gracious, you come out ahead.  Biden understands this.  Bernie does not.

Instead, he accused her of lying, and sicced his online mob on her.  Now instead of just being a gracious moment, the Bernie camp has spent all day whipping themselves up into a frothing fury, humiliating themselves by acting like toddlers.  Look at how people like Shadows and HockeyDude and SawX have been posting, like this is the end of Warren's career and "WE WILL NEVER VOTE FOR HER.  SHE IS LYING TRASH."  It's just making Sanders supporters show their true colors.  Completely immature and childish, totally impulsive, nasty and graceless.  And that's now a much bigger problem than the comment itself.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #295 on: January 13, 2020, 10:50:20 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2020, 10:54:16 PM by Shadows »

Elizabeth Warren ‘felt like a failure’ because she wasn’t ‘cut out’ to be a stay-at-home mom

But when Warren was young, she struggled with what the world expected of women. And it made her feel like a “failure,” she told Vogue in a story published Tuesday. “As a young woman I wanted what I’d been taught to want, and I tried really hard to succeed at that,” she says. “I just wasn’t cut out to stay home and build my life around my husband. I understood that many women did, and for a long time I felt like a failure,” she told Vogue.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/13/elizabeth-warren-felt-like-a-failure-for-not-being-a-housewife.html

Elizabeth Warren Woos Women to Turn Around Her Campaign

Democratic presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren, who has seen her national lead dwindle on the eve of the Iowa caucuses, is turning back to a bloc of voters she once appeared to have locked up: Women. The moves show an attempt to restore the bridge-building formulation that put her neck-and-neck with front-runner Joe Biden just three months ago. Since then, she’s lost her advantage among women, traded older voters for less reliable younger ones and failed to make inroads among minority voters.

At the height of her campaign, Warren had the support of one-third of women -- a 9 percentage point gender gap over her male support. That advantage has all but disappeared. Now, that appeal to women is becoming explicit. Warren appeared in three different women’s fashion magazines in the last week, outlining her vision for the presidency but also offering up more personal, relatable details about what’s she’s like off the campaign trail. In Cosmopolitan, she described her daily skincare routine. In Vogue, she revealed that she shops at Target and H&M for her trademark cardigans. And in Elle, she gave dating advice under the headline “Elizabeth Warren Wants You To Ditch That Guy, Get A Dog, And Vote To Tax The Wealthy.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-13/warren-turns-back-to-women-voters-to-clear-path-to-nomination

Very clever tactic

Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #296 on: January 13, 2020, 10:53:07 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2020, 11:02:55 PM by CEO of Bernie Sanders »

Two can play at this game.

Elizabeth Warren twists his words to make him look bad and sexist because she's down in the polls, and her campaign anonymously leaks it, thinking it will help her campaign, in order to make the argument that she'd be the unity candidate.

Bernie said a year ago that Warren would face a hurdle of sexism, much like how he said Abrams and Gillum faced racism in their runs. Said previous incident was moderately controversial because of a poorly-worded attempt to beat around the bush. Never mind that Bernie encouraged Warren to run in 2016, a woman could win the Presidency in 1988, and a woman just won the popular vote in 2016. This must mean he thinks women can't win the Presidency!

I've also specifically detailed that it's likely he said that Trump would weaponize sexism in his race instead. This actually is in line with something he would say (and is much less controversial than your self-admitted comparison to the Abrams/Gillum incident).

Instead, he accused her of lying, and sicced his online mob on her.  Now instead of just being a gracious moment, the Bernie camp has spent all day whipping themselves up into a frothing fury, humiliating themselves by acting like toddlers.  Look at how people like Shadows and HockeyDude and SawX have been posting, like this is the end of Warren's career and "WE WILL NEVER VOTE FOR HER.  SHE IS LYING TRASH."  It's just making Sanders supporters show their true colors.  Completely immature and childish, totally impulsive, nasty and graceless.  And that's now a much bigger problem than the comment itself.

I literally just said three posts above yours that I would vote for her (actually, I never explicitly ruled it out). Once again, you can't win an argument against me, so you've resorted to blatantly lying about my stances.

Speaking of which, it's funny how you don't take your own advice about apologizing.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #297 on: January 13, 2020, 11:00:02 PM »

Instead, he accused her of lying, and sicced his online mob on her.  Now instead of just being a gracious moment, the Bernie camp has spent all day whipping themselves up into a frothing fury, humiliating themselves by acting like toddlers.  Look at how people like Shadows and HockeyDude and SawX have been posting, like this is the end of Warren's career and "WE WILL NEVER VOTE FOR HER.  SHE IS LYING TRASH."  It's just making Sanders supporters show their true colors.  Completely immature and childish, totally impulsive, nasty and graceless.  And that's now a much bigger problem than the comment itself.

I literally just said three posts above yours that I would vote for her. Once again, you can't win a fair argument against me, so you've resorted to blatantly lying about my stances. You may have earlier, but you don't get the benefit of the doubt here.

I didn't say you said that.  I said you three were saying things "like" that.

You posted this though.  It's funny how the Sanders supporters are torn between trying to pretend they still like her and absolutely trashing her with the strongest possible language.  Today has really broken the programming.

If she thinks we'll forget this in a few years, she'll be in a rude ****ing awakening when AOC takes the stage.
redjohn

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #298 on: January 13, 2020, 11:01:09 PM »

Warren didn't endorse Sanders in 2016 because she masquerades as a progressive yet backs the establishment. She was a Republican for the vast majority of her life. She conveniently fabricated the idea of her being Native American, with no regard for Native Americans and without advocating for them at all in the positions she gained later in her life. She's no stranger to lying strategically.

I guess we'll see what they say tomorrow. But I'm with Bernie. Smearing someone she's claimed to be a dear friend just weeks before Iowa is clearly a political backstabbing. The question is: Is she doing this for just her own gain or to take down Sanders? I don't think most people would approve of such a cold political move. I hope this hurts her campaign.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #299 on: January 13, 2020, 11:07:11 PM »

Oh come on, don't insult our intelligence.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies