Elizabeth Warren 2020 Megathread v2 (pg 35 - Emily List support)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:07:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Elizabeth Warren 2020 Megathread v2 (pg 35 - Emily List support)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37]
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren 2020 Megathread v2 (pg 35 - Emily List support)  (Read 56817 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: March 05, 2020, 12:06:19 PM »

Where are you getting this from? Warren is the least demagogue-y person in this race...

The guiding philosophy of her political campaign has been to reduce reasoned political deliberation to an aesthetic of details and seriousness.

Needless to say, the effect of this is to shut down any actual reasoned deliberation. It amazes me that so many observers fail to recognize this. All of it amounts to a massive appeal to the prejudices and emotional impulses of people who imagine themselves to be above prejudices and emotional impulses.

Aren't attention to details and seriousness the Paragon of reasoned deliberation? I have no idea what you're trying to communicate here.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #901 on: March 05, 2020, 12:08:05 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2020, 12:12:17 PM by Badger »

So your entire argument for demogaugery is that she makes people who are detail-oriented feel like they're validated in a campaign?

It's demagoguery because those feelings are based in style rather than substance.

That's not the only element of it though: Warren's campaign was also characterized by the exploitation of identity-based resentments and a singular willingness to stretch the truth to fit her needs.

That last part at least is completely true. And it was her fundamental weakness as a candidate. It ultimately reduced her in many voters Minds to Hillary Clinton with a PhD.

It's sad really. If I could wave a magic wand and choose any single candidate of those who ran to be president, it would likely be worn. Unfortunately she has the Teensy little handicapped of probably not being able to beat Trump, or even have been successful winning the nomination.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #902 on: March 05, 2020, 12:10:29 PM »

Would you judge the sturdiness of a bridge by the number of pages in its design book? Of course not.

e: The candidates who most deserved to be celebrated for their policies in this cycle were Michael Bennet (Medicare X), Cory Booker (baby bonds), Julian Castro (affordable housing), and Kirsten Gillibrand (paid family leave). Warren isn't even in the top ten.

Considering the level of detail she went into for a functioning health care plan, bankruptcy protection, consumer protection, and a host of other issues, you're denigrating her on this point is simply factually inaccurate rather than a difference of opinion. One could really argue that the above-mentioned candidates had better ideas which were likewise a very detailed, but saying that Warren suffered from a lack of policy details is frankly mind-blowing considering that, again while other candidates may have had more specific policies on individual issues, across-the-board she was the most detail-oriented candidate who ran this year bar none.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #903 on: March 05, 2020, 12:41:49 PM »

Would you judge the sturdiness of a bridge by the number of pages in its design book? Of course not.

e: The candidates who most deserved to be celebrated for their policies in this cycle were Michael Bennet (Medicare X), Cory Booker (baby bonds), Julian Castro (affordable housing), and Kirsten Gillibrand (paid family leave). Warren isn't even in the top ten.

Considering the level of detail she went into for a functioning health care plan, bankruptcy protection, consumer protection, and a host of other issues, you're denigrating her on this point is simply factually inaccurate rather than a difference of opinion. One could really argue that the above-mentioned candidates had better ideas which were likewise a very detailed, but saying that Warren suffered from a lack of policy details is frankly mind-blowing considering that, again while other candidates may have had more specific policies on individual issues, across-the-board she was the most detail-oriented candidate who ran this year bar none.

It's not that she lacked details; it's that her avalanche of details only served to obfuscate that her policies don't actually hold up to even slight scrutiny. It's the JJ Abrams school of illusory policymaking: if you throw enough stuff at someone at once, they can't process it all before you're on to the next thing.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #904 on: March 05, 2020, 12:46:53 PM »

Good candidate, good platform, lots of potential.

Bad timing (2020 instead of 2016), bad positioning (Sanders crowding out left lane), bad strategy and message.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #905 on: March 05, 2020, 01:01:35 PM »

I don't think she should endorse anybody until a nominee wins on their own. She's done enough for Bernie basically acting as a shield for him in the debates. She doesn't owe Sanders anything especially considering how duplicitous he's always been with her campaign.

This will probably help Biden. I think Sanders support among Warren voters is a myth.

Warren voter here.

I agree more with Sanders than Biden. And going into the GE, I am very worried that Biden and his campaign will get steamrolled by the illegal and quasi-legal activities of the RNC (and their Russian allies). So I'd prefer Sanders as the nominee, although I'd support any plausible Democratic nominee over Benedict Donald.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #906 on: March 05, 2020, 01:04:30 PM »

Re: 'I have a plan for that'

Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #907 on: March 05, 2020, 01:47:20 PM »

I have long had deep sympathies for Warren, even in my Moderate HeroTM phase from 2013 to 2015, but she has never struck me as a President. She has always been the kind of person who does best serving in administration/the federal bureaucracy.

Either way, thanks for a good run Liz. Hope things go better in the Senate, or perhaps, a cabinet seat.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #908 on: March 05, 2020, 01:52:24 PM »

https://medium.com/@teamwarren/the-fight-goes-on-8f5ca2b4b557
You know liberty green everything was key here — my personal favorites included the liberty green boas, liberty green sneakers, liberty green make up, liberty green hair, and liberty green glitter — liberally applied. But it was so much more.

Wow I had no idea this was a thing... guess that’s where all the “Liz is a snake” Bernie Bro comments came from
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #909 on: March 05, 2020, 02:07:20 PM »

https://medium.com/@teamwarren/the-fight-goes-on-8f5ca2b4b557
You know liberty green everything was key here — my personal favorites included the liberty green boas, liberty green sneakers, liberty green make up, liberty green hair, and liberty green glitter — liberally applied. But it was so much more.

Wow I had no idea this was a thing... guess that’s where all the “Liz is a snake” Bernie Bro comments came from

Stop.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #910 on: March 05, 2020, 02:57:27 PM »

This news hits me hard, as I have given my all to support Warren these past several months down here in Southern Illinois.

Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #911 on: March 05, 2020, 03:02:38 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies