2020 Poll Hype Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 05:31:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 Poll Hype Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 99
Author Topic: 2020 Poll Hype Thread  (Read 193018 times)
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: February 01, 2020, 09:12:40 PM »

Well can we still count on Emerson?
Cinemark

« Reply #301 on: February 01, 2020, 09:13:22 PM »

And we're getting a YouGov poll tomorrow....

*sigh*
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #302 on: February 01, 2020, 09:14:37 PM »

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #303 on: February 01, 2020, 09:14:58 PM »

Canceling a poll because one respondent didn't hear a candidate's name is ridiculous. Maybe the interviewer was tired and accidentally skipped over it, maybe they just mispronounced it, maybe the "grassroots supporter" misremembered all of it, who knows.

One (unverifiable!) error in one interview is not going to jeopardize the validity of the poll. This is the Register and CNN backing down over a non-issue because they're afraid of jeopardizing their relationship with the Buttigieg campaign — sets a dangerous precedent for future campaigns getting unfavorable polls canceled.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #304 on: February 01, 2020, 09:16:32 PM »

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #305 on: February 01, 2020, 09:17:15 PM »

This really highlights a glaring weakness for Buttigieg I haven't see anyone mention yet all cycle. His name is hard to pronounce. Voters like a candidate with a smooth, silky name that just rolls off the tongue like Trump, Sanders, Biden or Warren. Buttigieg? No. Unfair, but true.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #306 on: February 01, 2020, 09:19:36 PM »

Woof! Maybe they'll have it figured out by tomorrow?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #307 on: February 01, 2020, 09:19:44 PM »

Canceling a poll because one respondent didn't hear a candidate's name is ridiculous. Maybe the interviewer was tired and accidentally skipped over it, maybe they just mispronounced it, maybe the "grassroots supporter" misremembered all of it, who knows.

One (unverifiable!) error in one interview is not going to jeopardize the validity of the poll. This is the Register and CNN backing down over a non-issue because they're afraid of jeopardizing their relationship with the Buttigieg campaign — sets a dangerous precedent for future campaigns getting unfavorable polls canceled.

If it is true that *IF* this was one individual who claimed this was the case, which is likely verifiable bcs I would imagine all polling calls are monitored, rather than multiple individuals, this is complete and utter BS.

Let's say I get a call from a polling organization in a critical state primary and sense my candidate is going down, I simply complain at the last minute and they cancel the release???

*** FREE the POLL ***
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #308 on: February 01, 2020, 09:23:46 PM »

Yeah. Besides anything else, what reason is there to believe that this volunteer isn't simply lying (or, more delicately, misremembering)?

And why would CNN/Selzer/DMR just take their word for it (assuming they did not have some sort of actual verification)? If not, can every campaign have a volunteer report that future polls are wrong in some way, and they will just cancel the poll?
Cinemark

« Reply #309 on: February 01, 2020, 09:24:10 PM »

Patrick Murray, the polling director of Monmouth, isnt entirely convinced of the situation.
Hollywood
« Reply #310 on: February 01, 2020, 09:24:54 PM »

Patrick Murray, the polling director of Monmouth, isnt entirely convinced of the situation.

It's over.  Sanders wins.  He's over 30 and CNN is scared. 
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #311 on: February 01, 2020, 09:25:37 PM »

I do think it's a big loss to delete the entire poll.

Maybe you just put an asterisk next to the Buttigieg number.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #312 on: February 01, 2020, 09:26:07 PM »

This really highlights a glaring weakness for Buttigieg I haven't see anyone mention yet all cycle. His name is hard to pronounce. Voters like a candidate with a smooth, silky name that just rolls off the tongue like Trump, Sanders, Biden or Warren. Buttigieg? No. Unfair, but true.

He could always have chosen to legally change his name. It happened on Ellis Island all the time.

Pete Buttigieg?

How about Pete Burton.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #313 on: February 01, 2020, 09:26:33 PM »

tbf Klobuchar might have similar issues as well....

It's really easy to "mispronounce candidate names", but let's face it---- it's not like any of these Democrats really have similar names....

I guess if you are older and hearing impaired you might have a hard time between Bernie and Biden for Christs sake.....

Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #314 on: February 01, 2020, 09:27:44 PM »

If it is true that *IF* this was one individual who claimed this was the case, which is likely verifiable bcs I would imagine all polling calls are monitored, rather than multiple individuals, this is complete and utter BS.

Let's say I get a call from a polling organization in a critical state primary and sense my candidate is going down, I simply complain at the last minute and they cancel the release???

*** FREE the POLL ***

If they recorded all the phone calls, in that case they should be able to listen to the recordings and find verify whether Buttigieg was left off of other calls or not. So do that, take out any calls where Buttigieg's name was left out, and release the poll.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #315 on: February 01, 2020, 09:28:09 PM »

Casablanca similar rip-off....

"Of all the Iowa polls in all the world, he had to walk into mine"
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #316 on: February 01, 2020, 09:29:31 PM »

Is anyone going to leak the numbers?
Cinemark

« Reply #317 on: February 01, 2020, 09:29:54 PM »

tbf Klobuchar might have similar issues as well....

It's really easy to "mispronounce candidate names", but let's face it---- it's not like any of these Democrats really have similar names....

I guess if you are older and hearing impaired you might have a hard time between Bernie and Biden for Christs sake.....

Nah. Klobuchar isnt really hard to pronounce. I've yet to hear a television host or radio broadcaster mispronounce her name. On the other hand, I still hear multiple pronunciations of Buttigieg on a daily basis.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #318 on: February 01, 2020, 09:31:06 PM »

I can't believe I put on my good crocs for this

what a waste
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #319 on: February 01, 2020, 09:31:45 PM »

Mike Gravel should have gotten all those polls that didn't include him cancelled.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #320 on: February 01, 2020, 09:33:34 PM »

If they recorded all the phone calls, in that case they should be able to listen to the recordings and find verify whether Buttigieg was left off of other calls or not. So do that, take out any calls where Buttigieg's name was left out, and release the poll.
In theory, yes, but not something you can do less than two hours until your big CNN special (after 5pm on a Saturday too). Not sure when the Register's print deadline is, but I'd imagine there's similar timing issues.
Hollywood
« Reply #321 on: February 01, 2020, 09:34:28 PM »

I can't believe I put on my good crocs for this

what a waste

It's not a waste.  We won.  They were too scared to show the results.  Sanders is winning Iowa on Monday.  Take it to the bank.  Everyone should still show, but it's over guys.  Sanders is going to win.  
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #322 on: February 01, 2020, 09:34:43 PM »

They were already leaked. My prediction turned out to be 100% right! I will now accept my accolades.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #323 on: February 01, 2020, 09:36:57 PM »

In theory, yes, but not something you can do less than two hours until your big CNN special (after 5pm on a Saturday too). Not sure when the Register's print deadline is, but I'd imagine there's similar timing issues.

Sure, they wouldn't have it ready immediately. But if they have all the calls recorded, they could just stay up late and have all their staff listen through all the calls overnight, and publish the results tomorrow.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #324 on: February 01, 2020, 09:37:36 PM »

So Bernie increased lead and Pete was below viability? Something tells me this poll would have been released if it was better for the establishment.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 99  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies