Inevitable question: Joe Biden's running mate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 12:26:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Inevitable question: Joe Biden's running mate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Poll
Question: Will the Dem ticket be Biden-Harris? If not, then who?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Inevitable question: Joe Biden's running mate  (Read 9724 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 25, 2019, 02:22:43 PM »

Who would be a good choice or has chances to get picked if ends up being the nominee?

I think Kamala Harris ranks high in the list unless her campaign totally flops. She's both female and African American and might help energize these voters. Kamala would also be a good pick for the future of the Democratic Party. She could then take over the nomination and presidency in 2024. Her senate seat wouldn't be danger at all since California is as blue as it can get and Gavin Newsom selects a replacement.

Catherine Cortez-Masto is another women who could help with the hispanic community. Maybe Uncle Joe needs more help here than with African Americans, were he is already doing well. Democrats would most likely keep her senate seat after 2022. Until then, Steve Sisolak can appoint another Democrat.

Nanette Barragán as a congresswoman from California might help with hispanics as well. And she's relatively young at just 44 in 2020. She'd be a very good pick.

Kirsten Gillibrand is not ideal choice, but she could make it hard for anyone to criticize Biden over his touching issues (should they remain a topic). Plus, her seat in the senate is safe anyway.

Stacey Abrams has been floated as well, but  I think she better runs for senate in Georgia. Other than that, she's not that politically experienced. Harris is definitely more qualified for the job and better prepared should, god forbid, the presidency fall upon her early.

I'd like Pete Buttigieg as well, regardless of how he performs in the primaries. He's young and well articulated, though two white males on a Democratic ticket probably won't happen even if one happens to be gay. Mayor Pete might be a better choice for a cabinet appointment. The same is applies to Beto.

I don't see him picking Cory Booker, since he doesn't add that much to the ticket other than being black. And as already stated, Biden has already strong appeal to African Americans.

I think Biden is strong enough in the Rust Belt that he doesn't need Amy Klobuchar or Tammy Baldwin and put their senate seats into play for Republicans in subsequent special elections. I'm actually 80% sure he would pick Kamala, and this would be the best choice he can make. Closely followed by Barragán.
Higgins
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 02:31:29 PM »

I would say Masto.
I think the Black community likes Joe; plus there is the likely endorsement by the Obamas and his connection as VP to Obama. I do not think the '94 crime bill will hurt him much with most Blacks. Young Progressive Black Americans, yes. Most? No. I think he needs to focus on:

1) The Latino community
2) The female demographic

Those I feel are his weak points. I would also tone down the identity politics talk otherwise it will alienate young white voters. Pandering to the far left is not going to help him in the General.

But I am 100% certain the Latino and Female votes are his weak points. He has never been big with the Latino community, has he? And there's the "touchy" issue. It would be an olive branch to the female community to pick a female, regardless of ethnicity.

I do not know of Masto's politics. But I would argue that any running mate of Biden would need to be progressive and well known to seal up the holes in the party and appease the progressive wing, which is not especially thrilled at him running. If he picks a moderate or conservative like Hillary did with Kaine, he's screwed.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 02:41:02 PM »

Pete Buttigieg.
But maybe also Beto.
Higgins
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 02:42:07 PM »

If his VP isn't a progressive I think he's in trouble. At the very least, a Latino, or female, Progressive. I'm not even a Progressive. But I think if he goes for someone boring or a moderate, the progressives will stay home.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 02:45:51 PM »

It should be someone solidly left-wing, like Tammy Baldwin or Stacey Abrams, to balance the ticket and at least throw a bone to the left. Realistically, he'll probably use the same playbook as Clinton, and pick a "safe"/"moderate" choice like Klobuchar.
daveosupremo
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.32, S: -2.09

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 02:58:51 PM »

Either Tammy Baldwin or Stacey Abrams.
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 03:24:29 PM »

Kamala or Mayor Pete. 
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 03:24:58 PM »

Kamala Harris.

Biden-Harris. I don't think Biden can do a Kerry/Edwards or a Clinton/Kaine.

Biden-Harris wins in 2020 if they run a good campaign, and if they govern well, Harris-Bullock in 2024.
Galeel
Oashigo
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 03:37:31 PM »

I think it will be either Harris or Abrams.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 03:46:44 PM »

He's not gonna pick Harris and she has a Hilary problem with WWC voters and polls low in SC
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 03:50:04 PM »

I don’t want Abrams to do it unless Biden unequivocally denounces his legislation from the 90’s and presents real policy to change what he did. I don’t want her used as a shield from his crappy anti-black rhetoric and policies.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 03:55:19 PM »

I don’t want Abrams to do it unless Biden unequivocally denounces his legislation from the 90’s and presents real policy to change what he did. I don’t want her used as a shield from his crappy anti-black rhetoric and policies.

His anti-black policies must have been the reason Obama picked him and became a close friend of his...
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 04:54:06 PM »

We know he wants Abrams, but his aggressive pursuit of her has left a bad taste in people's mouths and leaves him looking like he feels entitled to her being on his ticket.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 04:56:33 PM »

Probably a woman.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 05:07:35 PM »

STACEY ABRAMS PLEASE
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2019, 06:13:53 PM »

His anti-black policies must have been the reason Obama picked him and became a close friend of his...

To RFKFan68 :
Exactly what "anti-black rhetoric and polices" are you talking about?
And why did Obama miss these anti-black policies, but yet you see/saw them?
(Serious question. Help me understand your opinion/position on this.)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2019, 07:04:15 PM »

Tammy Duckworth tops the list for most people’s potential running mates and she should obviously be included on Biden’s. From a key region but her Senate seat would still likely be safe if she gave it up, female, wounded veteran, minority. She checks all the boxes. No ideological heresies for the base to rage about

She is a bit moderate from what I heard and there is about a 10% chance that Pritzker gets arrested by 2022 but it is the safest midwestern senate seat and she is overall a solid choice.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2019, 07:16:54 PM »

Harris has the highest chance of being his pick. I'm certain that he will pick a female Senator, but if that person is not Harris, then I can also see: Baldwin (though he may be risking a Senate seat with her), Cortez Masto, Duckworth, Klobuchar, or Warren.
User155815470020
PremierPence

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2019, 09:07:36 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2019, 07:09:52 AM by Premier Pence »

Dianne Feinstein, who will die in office shortly before Biden does, allowing Pelosi to sweep the Oval Office and then win election to her own full term in 2024.
McGarnagle
SomethingPolitical

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2019, 10:01:54 PM »

It would have to be a woman.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2019, 10:04:06 PM »

Tina Smith, Klobuchar, Stabenow or Cortez Masto
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2019, 10:06:25 PM »

CCM is a great choice. I think Debbie Stabenow should also be in the conversation.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2019, 10:26:51 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2019, 10:31:38 PM by Beto Bro »

To RFKFan68 :
Exactly what "anti-black rhetoric and polices" are you talking about?
And why did Obama miss these anti-black policies, but yet you see/saw them?
(Serious question. Help me understand your opinion/position on this.)
Hi! Joe Biden was at the forefront of the War on Drugs. Most of the people on this board are very smart and knowledgeable about history yet seem to forget their favorite politicians creating laws that created racial disparities in the prison industrial complex.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/4/25/18282870/joe-biden-criminal-justice-war-on-drugs-mass-incarceration?fbclid=IwAR0KdNoJuMNqAjNcSSh5uZSOYmqnxJI8gBNZ3z_UVavHIKjMi8i0xBkd1G4

This article doesn’t even include how when he was going out of his way to make “everything but jaywalking a death penalty offense” he was willing to eliminate guard rails to reduce racial bias in applying the death penalty in order to get Republicans to back it.

Obama deciding to put him on his ticket for political reasons and when the full weight of Biden’s policies and their impact had not yet entered mainstream discourse doesn’t change what he did.

Most voters are low info. And he very well may win the black vote. But he’s trash and I’m not here for him. 
Reformicon
johngault
Rookie

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2019, 11:51:19 PM »

Buttigieg balances out the ticket both in terms of ideology and age, with his views still being nascent enough not to challenge those pushed by Biden at the top of the ticket.  The running mate doesn't have to be a woman.  In some ways, it seems less gimmicky if it's not a woman.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2019, 06:21:07 AM »

CCM is DSCC Chair.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12  
« previous next »