Inevitable question: Joe Biden's running mate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 11:52:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Inevitable question: Joe Biden's running mate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Poll
Question: Will the Dem ticket be Biden-Harris? If not, then who?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Inevitable question: Joe Biden's running mate  (Read 9561 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2019, 08:41:12 AM »

Joe should chose Tim Ryan, it would nail the rust belt and close out the election on his behalf. Nailing IA and or Ohio, makes the election unwinnable. Eventhough, Joe has secured Pa
jacobmeteorite
jafcontact
Rookie
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2019, 09:14:50 AM »

Catherine Cortez Masto!
Even as DSCC chair, she can juggle both. She's razor sharp, super calm, and has a quiet confidence that would tear up Mike Pence in a debate. Love her, although I'd prefer her to be Elizabeth Warren's running mate.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2019, 10:24:43 AM »

Buttigieg balances out the ticket both in terms of ideology and age, with his views still being nascent enough not to challenge those pushed by Biden at the top of the ticket.  The running mate doesn't have to be a woman.  In some ways, it seems less gimmicky if it's not a woman.

Any ticket with a woman on it is "gimmicky".

Remind me who here is the 'identity politics' crowd again?
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2019, 11:09:24 AM »

1. Sherrod Brown
1. Steve Bullock
2. Catherine Cortez Masto
3. Amy Klobuchar
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2019, 03:43:04 PM »

Harris is a good choice.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2019, 04:09:02 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2019, 04:23:51 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Number one consideration, above all else.

Biden must pick a running mate who is qualified to be President.

He must avoid the trap McCain fell into in 2008 when he picked a woman for the sake of having a woman on the ticket, in his case, a woman who had absolutely no qualifications for being President, who was a token woman candidate only.

So I would say to Biden, be careful, go for someone qualified for the Presidency, be it man or woman, and avoid tokenism.

Avoid this advice at your peril.

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2019, 06:09:25 PM »

He must avoid the trap McCain fell into in 2008 when he picked a woman for the sake of having a woman on the ticket, in his case, a woman who had absolutely no qualifications for being President, who was a token woman candidate only.

So I would say to Biden, be careful, go for someone qualified for the Presidency, be it man or woman, and avoid tokenism.

Anybody he chooses will be more qualified than Trump at least. Qualifications are out the window now, it doesn't matter.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2019, 06:57:04 PM »

Anybody he chooses will be more qualified than Trump at least. Qualifications are out the window now, it doesn't matter.

That would certainly be dangerous for the country if qualifications were thrown out the window.

Just look to Trump as the perfect example of that.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2019, 07:00:32 PM »

That would certainly be dangerous for the country if qualifications were thrown out the window.

Just look to Trump as the perfect example of that.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am saying that this is something to take up with the majority of the American populace. They don't care. And if they don't care, it won't be part of what matters when it comes to a politician's appeal anymore. Qualifications/experience are up there with ethics,  policy, and principles as things that don't matter anymore thanks to Trump. Maybe this will change again in the post-Trump future, but I'm not so optimistic.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2019, 11:26:45 PM »

CCM didn't do amazingly with Latinos when she ran in fact I think she underperformed Hillary with them. And I don't think she speaks Spanish so not sure she gives him the boost people think she would. Also as we saw in '16 black voters are a lot more impactful even beyond the South, look at PA, WI, MI... Ideally he picks a female black VP, problem is Harris will be amplifying an issue thats likely to dog Biden w/ black voters, criminal justice. We'll find out soon enough whether Abrams will be out of contention and running for Senate.
User155815470020
PremierPence

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2019, 08:26:46 PM »

CCM didn't do amazingly with Latinos when she ran in fact I think she underperformed Hillary with them. And I don't think she speaks Spanish so not sure she gives him the boost people think she would. Also as we saw in '16 black voters are a lot more impactful even beyond the South, look at PA, WI, MI... Ideally he picks a female black VP, problem is Harris will be amplifying an issue thats likely to dog Biden w/ black voters, criminal justice. We'll find out soon enough whether Abrams will be out of contention and running for Senate.

Cortez-Masto will make as much inroads with the Hispanic community in Nevada as Rafael "Ted" Cruz (who also does not speak fluent Spanish) made with the Texas Hispanic community.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2019, 08:40:52 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2019, 08:44:06 PM by Beet »

Speaking Spanish is not that much of a big deal. Tim Kaine spoke Spanish it was hardly even noticed. Most Hispanics speak English fluently and use English in everyday life. As far as impact a lot of that is because Hispanic voters aren't in the habit of turning out at high levels. That will change over time & with a Hispanic on the ticket it would accelerate the change. I wanted Gillum to put a Hispanic on the ticket...
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2019, 11:07:14 AM »

If Biden wins the nomination, he's almost certainly going to pick Kamala to be his VP.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2019, 11:08:20 AM »

I still maintain that Tammy Duckworth is the best choice for any white man (except maybe Buttigieg because he's also a veteran from the Midwest, but she'd still be a decent pick for him).
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2019, 12:15:13 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2019, 12:30:11 PM by Mister Mets »

He's probably not going for a straight white guy unless something really extraordinary happens. I really have no idea how the Democrats' identity politics focus would deal with a Biden/ Buttigieg ticket.

Tammy Duckworth tops the list for most people’s potential running mates and she should obviously be included on Biden’s. From a key region but her Senate seat would still likely be safe if she gave it up, female, wounded veteran, minority. She checks all the boxes. No ideological heresies for the base to rage about
Yeah, she seems to look the best on paper.

Harris has the highest chance of being his pick. I'm certain that he will pick a female Senator, but if that person is not Harris, then I can also see: Baldwin (though he may be risking a Senate seat with her), Cortez Masto, Duckworth, Klobuchar, or Warren.
This would depend on how Harris does. She balances him in a few ways, and would be seen as a plausible President. If she's a strong second or third in the primary, it could also be part of a unity ticket.

If Booker, Klobuchar, Castro, or Gilibrand finish in the top three, they might easily become the favorites for running mate.

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2019, 12:19:10 PM »

If Biden wins the nomination, he's almost certainly going to pick Kamala to be his VP.
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2019, 12:55:25 PM »

If he needs a Latina woman, he could also reach out to Michelle Luján Grisham or even Rep. Linda Sánchez. But I wouldn't exactly be surprised if he chose a Republican like Larry Hogan.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2019, 12:57:19 PM »

If he needs a Latina woman, he could also reach out to Michelle Luján Grisham or even Rep. Linda Sánchez. But I wouldn't exactly be surprised if he chose a Republican like Larry Hogan.
Lol no
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2019, 03:06:51 PM »

Lol no
Why not? So far, he seems to be basing his campaign on Trump being an anomaly and every other Republican being perfectly fine. Choosing a GOP running mate would drive that point home.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2019, 04:36:52 PM »

Lol no
Why not? So far, he seems to be basing his campaign on Trump being an anomaly and every other Republican being perfectly fine. Choosing a GOP running mate would drive that point home.

Well, considering that the GOP and Trump are synonymous now, Biden has basically already alienated 90% of them plus.
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2019, 05:22:19 PM »

Lol no

Well, considering that the GOP and Trump are synonymous now, Biden has basically already alienated 90% of them plus.
Well, yeah. That's objectively true. But Biden himself would love the idea, and so would plenty of pundits. His strategists would rightfully throw a fit over it, though, so it PROBABLY wouldn't happen. I just don't think it's impossible.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2019, 05:26:48 PM »

I still maintain that Tammy Duckworth is the best choice for any white man (except maybe Buttigieg because he's also a veteran from the Midwest, but she'd still be a decent pick for him).
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2019, 01:44:55 PM »

I know that if Joe Biden gets the nomination is supposed to pick a woman as his running mate and I'd love to see a female vice president (or president), but Mayor Pete would also be a strong vice presidential running mate for him. Certainly one of the best options among male candidates. Biden, especially if he wins the nomination, already has the black vote locked up and may not need Kamala or Abrams on the second spot (since they are running way behind him among blacks). Obama will also be out on the campaign trail for his old friend. Mayor Pete would bring youth to the ticket, excite millennials and boost Democrats in the Mid-West. Buttigieg would almost be assured to become the Democratic nominee in 2024 or 2028. And as vice president, he'd be given the opportunity to gather more experience for the Oval Office.

Also, the vice presidential debate between Mayor Pete and Mike Pence would be fun.

Any thoughts?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2019, 01:45:38 PM »

This would make me not support Joe Biden
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish