Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 09:46:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 148 149 150 [151] 152 153 154 155 156 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 362728 times)
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3750 on: July 15, 2020, 02:27:09 PM »

I think the promise to pick a woman might be a mistake cause honestly there are so many better choices that are men. And the women who would be good picks he clearly doesn’t want to pick.

Rice - Good in office but awful campaigner
Harris - She seems good but there’s baggage there
Warren - Too polarizing. Would scare off moderate GOP voters
Duckworth: I think this would be a disaster. They’re looking at the combat vet angle and nothing else.

I’m convinced Whitner would be the best choice but hey what do I know

If there's a critical mistake, it's this. There are plenty of women who could be strong VP candidates but most aren't being considered. I don't see how this problem would be much better if men were also in the mix.

Which women do you want him to pick that he isn't considering?

Grace Meng to appeal to the Asian American vote and provide visible representation of Asian Americans in upper echelon politics.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #3751 on: July 15, 2020, 04:54:09 PM »

I think the promise to pick a woman might be a mistake cause honestly there are so many better choices that are men. And the women who would be good picks he clearly doesn’t want to pick.

Duckworth: I think this would be a disaster. They’re looking at the combat vet angle and nothing else.

If there's a critical mistake, it's this. There are plenty of women who could be strong VP candidates but most aren't being considered. I don't see how this problem would be much better if men were also in the mix.

Grace Meng to appeal to the Asian American vote and provide visible representation of Asian Americans in upper echelon politics.

I had literally never heard of her until now.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3752 on: July 15, 2020, 07:17:02 PM »

Has anyone taken into account the looks of the potential vp? Sexism undeniably had an impact on 2016, and will again this year. Who looks the best next to Biden on stage/campaign material etc. Harris, then Whitmer for me.

In all honesty it could be a very small positive factor. I remember that even Rush Limbaugh complimented Harris' looks during the primary. And superficiality is also probably a large part of what helped catapult Palin into becoming a Republican superstar (for awhile at least).

By the way, I'm not attributing a female politicians' success entirely to her looks, I'm just noting how my fellow male may perceive things.

It works the other way too. My mom wanted to vote for John Edwards in the 2008 Democratic primary entirely because she thought he was handsome.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #3753 on: July 16, 2020, 12:01:13 AM »

I don't know who he isn't considering, but the apparent non-vetting of Hilda Solis seems like a mistake and we don't hear much about e.g. Baldwin compared to Demings. I should revise my point - it's not that the best candidates aren't being considered, but that it seems they aren't being considered nearly as seriously as some really flawed ones.
Problem with Baldwin is the way the Senate is set up. We can't afford to lose her seat. If her seat wasn't as crucial she'd be my #1 choice.

Solis is another one I don't get why they're not looking at closer if people like Demings are though. Minority working-class female who's on the progressive side on the party? That sounds like a great fit.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3754 on: July 16, 2020, 12:30:49 AM »

I don't know who he isn't considering, but the apparent non-vetting of Hilda Solis seems like a mistake and we don't hear much about e.g. Baldwin compared to Demings. I should revise my point - it's not that the best candidates aren't being considered, but that it seems they aren't being considered nearly as seriously as some really flawed ones.
Problem with Baldwin is the way the Senate is set up. We can't afford to lose her seat. If her seat wasn't as crucial she'd be my #1 choice.

Solis is another one I don't get why they're not looking at closer if people like Demings are though. Minority working-class female who's on the progressive side on the party? That sounds like a great fit.

Because other people offer more. MLG, Duckworth and Harris, to name a few.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3755 on: July 16, 2020, 12:34:19 AM »

Not much, to be honest. You predicted Republicans keeping the House in 2018 despite all the evidence to the contrary, and even most Republicans acknowledged it was a likely loss.

You're takes here are bad too. Another man on the Democratic ticket would have left a bad taste in a lot of Democrats' mouths, fairly or not. You're Duckworth take is garbage too, as shown in the past week with her positive media earned with her Tucker Carlson feud.
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #3756 on: July 16, 2020, 12:44:45 AM »

The Kamala Harris saga has been way overblown,  that's why people snipe at each other. If she was so good to be Veep, why did she flop so badly as a Prez candidate

I like Susan Rice better than Harris, hopefully she is picked but some dont like Rice

So Kamala Harris isn't good enough because she couldn't get elected as a presidential candidate, so Susan Rice is your pick? Someone whose highest-held elected office was student council president in high school? Man, I know people on this forum love to hate Kamala Harris, but at least judge her by standards that you yourself can stick to.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #3757 on: July 16, 2020, 01:49:19 AM »

The Kamala Harris saga has been way overblown,  that's why people snipe at each other. If she was so good to be Veep, why did she flop so badly as a Prez candidate

I like Susan Rice better than Harris, hopefully she is picked but some dont like Rice

So Kamala Harris isn't good enough because she couldn't get elected as a presidential candidate, so Susan Rice is your pick? Someone whose highest-held elected office was student council president in high school? Man, I know people on this forum love to hate Kamala Harris, but at least judge her by standards that you yourself can stick to.

I feel like, for Kamala folks, we have to be either totally for Harris/fawning over her as the VP pick, or we hate her.  There's definitely a middle ground.  I don't hate her, and I think there are a lot worse choices out there, but that doesn't mean I'm enthused by her/she's my first choice.  It also doesn't mean it will affect my vote one way or the other, though. 
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3758 on: July 16, 2020, 02:15:26 AM »

I feel like, for Kamala folks, we have to be either totally for Harris/fawning over her as the VP pick, or we hate her.  There's definitely a middle ground.  I don't hate her, and I think there are a lot worse choices out there, but that doesn't mean I'm enthused by her/she's my first choice.  It also doesn't mean it will affect my vote one way or the other, though. 
For me, it's the fake metrics that other VPs on winning tickets wouldn't meet either, the bad faith arguments, the distortions about her record, and saying a white woman who was a Republican for half of her adulthood and pretended to be Native American has done more for Black people than she has. It doesn't bother me if someone doesn't want her chosen or not excited about her. No matter who he picks somebody somewhere will be salty.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #3759 on: July 16, 2020, 02:45:18 AM »
« Edited: July 16, 2020, 02:55:13 AM by politics_king »

The Governor of Wisconsin is a Democrat though and by current projections, the Senate is going to flip.

As for Hilda Solid, she would be an interesting pick but maybe she has her eyes on being Mayor of Los Angeles.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3760 on: July 16, 2020, 05:12:02 AM »

I think for me, a lot of these anti-Harris people aren't really saying the whole "well shes not my first choice, but I'd still be fine with her." A lot just seem vehemently against her without any wiggle room.

Like i want Harris, but I'd be fine with Duckworth if she was the choice. She's not my first choice, but I wouldn't be "mad" about it

I would be mad about Susan Rice. Now that pick just makes no sense.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3761 on: July 16, 2020, 07:23:20 AM »

You dont live in California,  she does nothing for the homeless on Skid Row, I can understand Feinstein,  but both other them never come down to LA and talk about the homeless issue on Skid Row.

Sacramento,  SF LA, have the most homeless than any other region in the country, due to the influx of nonimmigrant migrating from the cold Midwest to Cali for warmth in the winter time

DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #3762 on: July 16, 2020, 08:35:13 AM »

I think for me, a lot of these anti-Harris people aren't really saying the whole "well shes not my first choice, but I'd still be fine with her." A lot just seem vehemently against her without any wiggle room.

Like i want Harris, but I'd be fine with Duckworth if she was the choice. She's not my first choice, but I wouldn't be "mad" about it

Rice is not my first choice, and if we include bass it’s not even in my top three. But I don’t get the hate She is an outdoor type doubling down. Al Gore not outdoor. She makes along the most sense of all the choices
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3763 on: July 16, 2020, 10:25:30 AM »
« Edited: July 16, 2020, 11:10:30 AM by New Frontier »

The Governor of Wisconsin is a Democrat though and by current projections, the Senate is going to flip.

As for Hilda Solid, she would be an interesting pick but maybe she has her eyes on being Mayor of Los Angeles.
It's not a guarantee that the Senate is going to flip and anyways, every seat in the Senate that is in a swing state is critical. Especially if, Democrats only gain a slim majority (50-52 seats). Even if Evers appoints a Democrat, will that Democrat get elected in the special election? There's a good chance that they won't.

Additionally, I like Tammy Baldwin (and so do many people on here) but who does she appeal to nationwide outside of SOME progressive voters?

Finally, Hilda Solis was just the Labor Secretary. She's largely unknown (outside political junkies like us) and why should she be put into a position that is a heartbeat away from the Presidency?
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3764 on: July 16, 2020, 10:34:22 AM »

I feel like, for Kamala folks, we have to be either totally for Harris/fawning over her as the VP pick, or we hate her.  There's definitely a middle ground.  I don't hate her, and I think there are a lot worse choices out there, but that doesn't mean I'm enthused by her/she's my first choice.  It also doesn't mean it will affect my vote one way or the other, though.  

Yeah, exactly. I rarely see other VP candidates in here get criticized and if they do most people in here come to their defense.

Kamala is the only one who receives a high amount of vitriol. There's nothing wrong with criticizing Kamala but many of the attacks against her in this thread are superficial or based on lies/exaggerations about her time as a prosecutor.

Furthermore, like you said, I don't hear "I'm not enthusiastic about Kamala but I'm still voting for Biden even though she's not my 1st choice". I mostly hear that "Kamala sucks" or "Kamala is an uppity SF socialite".
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3765 on: July 16, 2020, 10:59:04 AM »

Tiffany Cross, a Joy Reid confidant said on The View a few minutes ago that a Biden-Duckworth ticket would be a slap in the face to Black women.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #3766 on: July 16, 2020, 11:00:28 AM »

Any VP news today?
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3767 on: July 16, 2020, 11:11:45 AM »

Tiffany Cross, a Joy Reid confidant said on The View a few minutes ago that a Biden-Duckworth ticket would be a slap in the face to Black women.
Wow, talk about taking someone's words out of context. This is not even close to what she said.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #3768 on: July 16, 2020, 11:30:55 AM »
« Edited: July 16, 2020, 11:34:34 AM by roxas11 »

well as a Black person I kind feel kind of offended by the statement

look Im all for Biden picking a black women but Duckworth is also a woman of color and that should not be dismissed simply become some fools think she is not the right color '

how can you claim to be pro diversity but still get upset when Biden picks a woman of color as his
VP. It sounds to me like they are saying that Biden should reject any person of color who is not Black

That is a dangerous message and this is what terry Cruise was recently warning people about

this reminds me of the same idiots who were saying Obama was not Black enough in 2007.
as I said Im all for Biden picking a Black woman but at far as this Black voter is concerned I would 100 percent support Duckworth as VP
FlyoverCoast
Rookie

« Reply #3769 on: July 16, 2020, 11:50:42 AM »

Wow, talk about taking someone's words out of context. This is not even close to what she said.

It is taken out of context. She is making the argument that Biden should fire up his base by picking a black woman for VP.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3770 on: July 16, 2020, 12:08:27 PM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3771 on: July 16, 2020, 12:27:22 PM »

Guess that means it's not her (a-la KLB chairing the DNC's platform committee).
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3772 on: July 16, 2020, 05:17:39 PM »

That's because Biden is a, a decent human being, and be, needed to worry about shein off black voters and anti-racist whites. Trump and fox have neither of those restraints whatsoever. The fact that she was elected attorney general and then senator of the largest state in the country is going to be subsumed by the fact that she may have slept with Willie Brown Early in her career. San Francisco radical will become a chic phrase on the Facebook again, and one can even expect perhaps some mild birtherism about her background. There's nothing there, but there wasn't anything there about Obama either and....

I hadn't heard about this, but if Harris gets picked as the running mate I'm sure this "scandal" will come up. Here's one for the guys who despite being liberal on most issues, will simply refuse to admit that sexism is an issue in American politics.

A woman studies law, gets accomplished in her field, becomes a district attorney, then attorney general, then senator, then presidential candidate, then running mate, and she had sexual relations with another politician decades ago. One of these things is not like the other.

Oh, you're preaching to the choir there. What's more I agree with prior post that I think they won't stick to Harris. Fox News will certainly try though.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #3773 on: July 16, 2020, 06:04:54 PM »

Nope people make way too much of that stuff. If anything it could be a sign go in the other way. Geraldine Ferraro was the convention chair in 1984 if I’m not mistaken. Or at least she had song leader ship role in the convention. If after vetting and interviews KB is the best option, they are not going to say “oh no I can’t do it because you put me in charge Of the African American finance committee!
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #3774 on: July 16, 2020, 06:05:40 PM »

You dont live in California,  she does nothing for the homeless on Skid Row, I can understand Feinstein,  but both other them never come down to LA and talk about the homeless issue on Skid Row.

Sacramento,  SF LA, have the most homeless than any other region in the country, due to the influx of nonimmigrant migrating from the cold Midwest to Cali for warmth in the winter time

You originally implied that she's not a good VP pick because she lost the presidential primary. I pointed out that Susan Rice, your preferred pick, has never even run for office. Now you're bringing up homelessness, which I believe you on, but has nothing to do with the double standard of your earlier comments.

If Harris failing to do well in the presidential primaries proves that she is a weak candidate, what suggests to you that someone who has never run for office would be better?
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 148 149 150 [151] 152 153 154 155 156 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies