Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 10:37:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 155 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 362742 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3725 on: July 14, 2020, 07:56:21 PM »

The latest from Biden:

Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #3726 on: July 14, 2020, 08:12:19 PM »

He really should just announce already.

Yeah, I don't think it matters if he announces at Convention time or now. If there was a year to get away from announcing at Convention time, this is the year
With you in spirit
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3727 on: July 14, 2020, 08:17:08 PM »

The latest from Biden:

So at the latest, this part of the process will be done by July 24th. Say he narrows it down to a true 3-4 person shortlist, those interviews take a day each, then some more mulling, then a decision...i’m guessing somewhere in that August 7-9 range.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #3728 on: July 14, 2020, 09:31:51 PM »

Why are we still talking about this moment? She rightfully held him accountable for the glowing statements he made about white segregationists. To still be harping on this is white fragility.

But it’s crickets on the much more searing attacks Warren made against him. I see the double standards for non-white women...

We’re harping on it because it’s relevant to whether the Democratic nominee decides to pick someone who didn’t do that to him in a debate over her. I thought her attack was fair game but you can’t blame Biden if he doesn’t pick her.
Nah. It’s relevant to you because you hate her. Y’all keep bringing it up when Joe Biden said MONTHS ago that he was over it.

Let me be clear that if he doesn’t pick her it is what it is. But the debate is a dumb ass reason and the people who keep bringing it up like she betrayed him are acting like he is a fragile ass child. He wasn’t above reproach for the praise he lavished on known segregationists. Period.

Chillax.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3729 on: July 14, 2020, 10:07:43 PM »

tfw the veepstakes take longer than the primary
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3730 on: July 14, 2020, 11:09:48 PM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/12/tammy-duckworth-vp-contention-357234

Top story on Politico right now is all about Duckworth, focusing on her being a veteran and the clash with Tucker Carlson.

Sorry, this was a couple of days ago, but just catching up on some of this now.  The relevant news on vetting from that story:

The attention hasn't escaped Biden's vetting team. It has stepped up information-gathering on Duckworth recently, scrutinizing her legislative record and talking to her colleagues, according to three sources familiar with the matter.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #3731 on: July 14, 2020, 11:36:53 PM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/12/tammy-duckworth-vp-contention-357234

Top story on Politico right now is all about Duckworth, focusing on her being a veteran and the clash with Tucker Carlson.

Sorry, this was a couple of days ago, but just catching up on some of this now.  The relevant news on vetting from that story:

The attention hasn't escaped Biden's vetting team. It has stepped up information-gathering on Duckworth recently, scrutinizing her legislative record and talking to her colleagues, according to three sources familiar with the matter.

Very interesting.  I kind of get the feeling that they weren't taking her very seriously earlier on, but increasingly are now.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3732 on: July 14, 2020, 11:51:24 PM »

It will be really nice when there is some actual VP news in this thread instead of the endless sniping among people who dislike particular candidates.

The Kamala Harris saga has been way overblown,  that's why people snipe at each other. If she was so good to be Veep, why did she flop so badly as a Prez candidate
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #3733 on: July 14, 2020, 11:51:49 PM »

My bet is August 8th
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3734 on: July 15, 2020, 12:59:40 AM »

Hot take: Joe announces at the convention
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3735 on: July 15, 2020, 01:23:14 AM »

Why should Joe be in any rush to announce?  He's had nothing but positive news cycles for the last 8 weeks and he's enjoying landslide polling.  He doesn't need to shake up the race or draw earned media.  Keep this card up your sleeve.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #3736 on: July 15, 2020, 04:28:56 AM »

I like Susan Rice better than Harris, hopefully she is picked but some dont like Rice
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3737 on: July 15, 2020, 04:35:25 AM »

I think the promise to pick a woman might be a mistake cause honestly there are so many better choices that are men. And the women who would be good picks he clearly doesn’t want to pick.

Rice - Good in office but awful campaigner
Harris - She seems good but there’s baggage there
Warren - Too polarizing. Would scare off moderate GOP voters
Duckworth: I think this would be a disaster. They’re looking at the combat vet angle and nothing else.

I’m convinced Whitner would be the best choice but hey what do I know
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3738 on: July 15, 2020, 07:51:02 AM »

I think the promise to pick a woman might be a mistake cause honestly there are so many better choices that are men. And the women who would be good picks he clearly doesn’t want to pick.

Duckworth: I think this would be a disaster. They’re looking at the combat vet angle and nothing else.

Why do you think Duckworth would be a disaster?
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3739 on: July 15, 2020, 07:52:35 AM »

If there's a critical mistake, it's this. There are plenty of women who could be strong VP candidates but most aren't being considered. I don't see how this problem would be much better if men were also in the mix.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3740 on: July 15, 2020, 08:02:22 AM »

What is the "else". Do you know something we don't?
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3741 on: July 15, 2020, 08:13:19 AM »

Why should Joe be in any rush to announce?  He's had nothing but positive news cycles for the last 8 weeks and he's enjoying landslide polling.  He doesn't need to shake up the race or draw earned media.  Keep this card up your sleeve.
Absolutely, I was thinking the same. The longer he can delay this the better honestly. Joe doesn't need a game changer at all.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3742 on: July 15, 2020, 08:29:59 AM »

Poll: Majority of voters say Biden's VP won't factor in 2020 vote

Joe Biden’s choice of a running mate is the talk of Washington, but a majority of American voters said Biden’s VP selection won’t affect their vote, according to a POLITICO/Morning Consult poll released Wednesday.

Fifty-four percent of respondents said that Biden’s running mate will have no impact on how they’ll cast their ballot. Only 16 percent said that it would have a “major impact” on their vote. Another 20 percent said it would have a “minor impact.”

Biden said he’ll announce his vice presidential selection after August 1, and many of the options have already appeared alongside him at campaign events and fundraisers, generating further speculation. Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) and Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), Biden’s one-time Democratic primary rivals, are often mentioned as top contenders, as is Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.), Rep. Val Demings (D-Fla.), New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham, and Susan Rice, the former Obama administration national security adviser.

The poll did find sustained support among Democrats for Biden to select a person of color as his running mate, with 45 percent of Democrats saying that would be important. In June, after George Floyd’s death galvanized a national protest movement around racial justice, 46 percent of Democrats said they preferred a person of color on the ticket — a 10-point jump over early April, when just 36 percent of Democrats said that would be important.

[....]

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/15/joe-biden-vice-president-pick-poll-362900
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #3743 on: July 15, 2020, 10:01:36 AM »

I dont think its Demings or Duckworth,  Biden wants a Senator or Gov and it's not Warren, its down to: Grisham, Rice or Harris. I think Rice gets it, and 25 percent MLG
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3744 on: July 15, 2020, 10:32:42 AM »

Poll: Majority of voters say Biden's VP won't factor in 2020 vote

Joe Biden’s choice of a running mate is the talk of Washington, but a majority of American voters said Biden’s VP selection won’t affect their vote, according to a POLITICO/Morning Consult poll released Wednesday.

Fifty-four percent of respondents said that Biden’s running mate will have no impact on how they’ll cast their ballot. Only 16 percent said that it would have a “major impact” on their vote. Another 20 percent said it would have a “minor impact.”

Biden said he’ll announce his vice presidential selection after August 1, and many of the options have already appeared alongside him at campaign events and fundraisers, generating further speculation. Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) and Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), Biden’s one-time Democratic primary rivals, are often mentioned as top contenders, as is Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.), Rep. Val Demings (D-Fla.), New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham, and Susan Rice, the former Obama administration national security adviser.

The poll did find sustained support among Democrats for Biden to select a person of color as his running mate, with 45 percent of Democrats saying that would be important. In June, after George Floyd’s death galvanized a national protest movement around racial justice, 46 percent of Democrats said they preferred a person of color on the ticket — a 10-point jump over early April, when just 36 percent of Democrats said that would be important.

[....]

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/15/joe-biden-vice-president-pick-poll-362900

Favorabilites:

Tammy Duckworth: 18/14 (+4)
Stacey Abrams: 22/20 (+2)
Val Demings: 11/11 (=)
Keisha Lance Bottoms: 14/14 (=)
Kamala Harris: 32/34 (-2)
Gretchen Whitmer: 16/18 (-2)
Tammy Baldwin: 11/13 (-2)
Michele Lujan Grisham: 8/10 (-2)
Karen Bass: 8/10 (-2)
Susan Rice: 19/22 (-3)
Elizabeth Warren: 36/43 (-7)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #3745 on: July 15, 2020, 10:45:02 AM »

Bass, Bottoms and Abrams arent gonna be the nominees. Bass clarified that on TV and Abrams said she wasnt vetted. As far as Bottoms, she has Covid 19, the Prez needs to stay away as far from someone with Covid 19
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #3746 on: July 15, 2020, 11:44:09 AM »

If there's a critical mistake, it's this. There are plenty of women who could be strong VP candidates but most aren't being considered. I don't see how this problem would be much better if men were also in the mix.

Which women do you want him to pick that he isn't considering?
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3747 on: July 15, 2020, 11:59:02 AM »

Which women do you want him to pick that he isn't considering?

I don't know who he isn't considering, but the apparent non-vetting of Hilda Solis seems like a mistake and we don't hear much about e.g. Baldwin compared to Demings. I should revise my point - it's not that the best candidates aren't being considered, but that it seems they aren't being considered nearly as seriously as some really flawed ones.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #3748 on: July 15, 2020, 01:19:28 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2020, 01:22:44 PM by BidenHarris2020 »

Has anyone taken into account the looks of the potential vp? Sexism undeniably had an impact on 2016, and will again this year. Who looks the best next to Biden on stage/campaign material etc. Harris, then Whitmer for me.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #3749 on: July 15, 2020, 01:21:26 PM »

Obama called Harris the best looking AG in the country, then had to (understandably) apologize.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 155 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies