Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 02:59:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 141 142 143 [144] 145 146 147 148 149 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 361630 times)
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3575 on: July 10, 2020, 09:07:55 AM »
« edited: July 10, 2020, 09:19:09 AM by Da2017 »

It’s not that ambition is bad. It’s bad coupled with a little tangible goals or principles . She straight up lied about her record. She straight up lied about the person that said the R word at her rally. It just leaves the impression that she just wants the power as opposed to Abrams Warren or even Rice who articulate WHY they want that power. Restoring voting rights, rebuilding the middle class, and restoring American leader ship respectively. Not saying Harris doesn’t care about those things, but it doesn’t come across as clearly

Warren can off as condescending. Rice has lot of baggage and Abrams has made fool out of herself. Rice comes off as elitist and aloof to a lot of people. Rice is as elitist as it gets.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3576 on: July 10, 2020, 09:26:13 AM »

It’s not that ambition is bad. It’s bad coupled with a little tangible goals or principles . She straight up lied about her record. She straight up lied about the person that said the R word at her rally. It just leaves the impression that she just wants the power as opposed to Abrams Warren or even Rice who articulate WHY they want that power. Restoring voting rights, rebuilding the middle class, and restoring American leader ship respectively. Not saying Harris doesn’t care about those things, but it doesn’t come across as clearly

Warren can off as condescending. Rice has lot of baggage and Abrams has made fool out of herself. Rice comes off as elitist and aloof to a lot of people. Rice is as elitist as it gets.

Right, like why are we just assuming that every VP candidate doesn't have some type of baggage and doesn't make mistakes? All DisneyDem does is just sh*t on Harris all the time.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #3577 on: July 10, 2020, 10:00:04 AM »
« Edited: July 10, 2020, 10:14:13 AM by ultraviolet »

Duckworth just seems like such the no-brainer pick. Much like Biden, it'll be hard to get the country to viscerally hate her. The same can't be said for Warren, Harris, or Rice, for obvious reasons.

Can you elaborate on that, because saying “for obvious reasons” doesn’t make there be reasons.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3578 on: July 10, 2020, 10:37:14 AM »

Harris seems to inspire a truly visceral hate from some corners of the party and it doesn't make much sense to me.  I think it's just because people have been told to hate Harris for so long that they're just used to it by now.  They assume that's the right way to think.  Remember "corncobbing"?  That was almost three years ago now.  I remember talking to a girl in December of 2018 about the upcoming primary, and she wasn't familiar with most of the candidates but HATED Kamala Harris, with a bunch of talking points about her "ruthlessly locking up black men" and "putting innocent people in jail" and "going after pot smokers."

By the time Tulsi took Harris down in the third(?) debate, I had already heard all her attack lines a hundred times over.  She was literally just quoting Twitter's greatest anti-Harris hits.  But Kamala's response to it was very weak.

The Kamala hate is deeply, deeply ingrained in a lot of people.  The online left ran a very successful smear campaign against her.  That's probably part of why the KHive you all hate so much exists in the first place.  All those Kamala fans on Twitter got sick of the smears against their candidate and banded together to fight back with a similar degree of zeal.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3579 on: July 10, 2020, 10:49:21 AM »

Tammy Duckworth has an article in the NYTimes today about Tucker Carlson and Donald Trump.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/09/opinion/tammy-duckworth-tucker-carlson.html
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #3580 on: July 10, 2020, 11:29:24 AM »

Harris seems to inspire a truly visceral hate from some corners of the party and it doesn't make much sense to me.  I think it's just because people have been told to hate Harris for so long that they're just used to it by now.  They assume that's the right way to think.  Remember "corncobbing"?  That was almost three years ago now.  I remember talking to a girl in December of 2018 about the upcoming primary, and she wasn't familiar with most of the candidates but HATED Kamala Harris, with a bunch of talking points about her "ruthlessly locking up black men" and "putting innocent people in jail" and "going after pot smokers."

By the time Tulsi took Harris down in the third(?) debate, I had already heard all her attack lines a hundred times over.  She was literally just quoting Twitter's greatest anti-Harris hits.  But Kamala's response to it was very weak.

The Kamala hate is deeply, deeply ingrained in a lot of people.  The online left ran a very successful smear campaign against her.  That's probably part of why the KHive you all hate so much exists in the first place.  All those Kamala fans on Twitter got sick of the smears against their candidate and banded together to fight back with a similar degree of zeal.

It's that she alienates the far left with her past as AG of California while being centrist in the mode of identity politics, being close with donors while not really offering any sort of economic agenda to working people. It's the consultants, lawyers and insiders who like this type of politician, not average voters.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #3581 on: July 10, 2020, 11:31:58 AM »

Though at this point I think Biden picks a woman of color so you're down to Harris, Rice, Duckworth, Demings & Grisham really. I'm sure you could still float the Abrams & Bass' of the world but I think they could possibly snag an Administration job.
What about KLB? She seems more likely than Grisham, Bass and Abrams at least.

I forgot to add her. KLB is who I hoped he picked but I think she's lost all momentum. I still have a gut feeling he's going to pick Susan Rice.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3582 on: July 10, 2020, 11:33:26 AM »

Harris seems to inspire a truly visceral hate from some corners of the party and it doesn't make much sense to me.  I think it's just because people have been told to hate Harris for so long that they're just used to it by now.  They assume that's the right way to think.  Remember "corncobbing"?  That was almost three years ago now.  I remember talking to a girl in December of 2018 about the upcoming primary, and she wasn't familiar with most of the candidates but HATED Kamala Harris, with a bunch of talking points about her "ruthlessly locking up black men" and "putting innocent people in jail" and "going after pot smokers."

By the time Tulsi took Harris down in the third(?) debate, I had already heard all her attack lines a hundred times over.  She was literally just quoting Twitter's greatest anti-Harris hits.  But Kamala's response to it was very weak.

The Kamala hate is deeply, deeply ingrained in a lot of people.  The online left ran a very successful smear campaign against her.  That's probably part of why the KHive you all hate so much exists in the first place.  All those Kamala fans on Twitter got sick of the smears against their candidate and banded together to fight back with a similar degree of zeal.

It's that she alienates the far left with her past as AG of California while being centrist in the mode of identity politics, being close with donors while not really offering any sort of economic agenda to working people. It's the consultants, lawyers and insiders who like this type of politician, not average voters.
None of what you said is true. Also, that's just your opinion.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #3583 on: July 10, 2020, 12:14:27 PM »

Harris seems to inspire a truly visceral hate from some corners of the party and it doesn't make much sense to me.  I think it's just because people have been told to hate Harris for so long that they're just used to it by now.  They assume that's the right way to think.  Remember "corncobbing"?  That was almost three years ago now.  I remember talking to a girl in December of 2018 about the upcoming primary, and she wasn't familiar with most of the candidates but HATED Kamala Harris, with a bunch of talking points about her "ruthlessly locking up black men" and "putting innocent people in jail" and "going after pot smokers."

By the time Tulsi took Harris down in the third(?) debate, I had already heard all her attack lines a hundred times over.  She was literally just quoting Twitter's greatest anti-Harris hits.  But Kamala's response to it was very weak.

The Kamala hate is deeply, deeply ingrained in a lot of people.  The online left ran a very successful smear campaign against her.  That's probably part of why the KHive you all hate so much exists in the first place.  All those Kamala fans on Twitter got sick of the smears against their candidate and banded together to fight back with a similar degree of zeal.

None of what you said is true. Also, that's just your opinion.

We just have different opinions on her, its healthy debate. I just feel that Duckworth fits Biden's "Soul of America" theme much better than Harris, Warren or Rice.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #3584 on: July 10, 2020, 12:23:44 PM »

Though at this point I think Biden picks a woman of color so you're down to Harris, Rice, Duckworth, Demings & Grisham really. I'm sure you could still float the Abrams & Bass' of the world but I think they could possibly snag an Administration job.

I forgot to add her. KLB is who I hoped he picked but I think she's lost all momentum. I still have a gut feeling he's going to pick Susan Rice.

I hope Biden does not get blindsided by loyalty. She would be a diasterous pick.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #3585 on: July 10, 2020, 12:49:50 PM »

Duckworth is doing an event with Tammy Baldwin in WI pitching Biden’s plan for manufacturing. Doesn’t seem like something a neighboring Senator would typically do. Am I off base?

https://www.facebook.com/WisDems/photos/a.253546123591/10158297127213592/?type=3
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3586 on: July 10, 2020, 12:59:37 PM »

Ok Brie Brie.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3587 on: July 10, 2020, 01:02:21 PM »

Duckworth just seems like such the no-brainer pick. Much like Biden, it'll be hard to get the country to viscerally hate her. The same can't be said for Warren, Harris, or Rice, for obvious reasons.

Can you elaborate on that, because saying “for obvious reasons” doesn’t make there be reasons.

Warren is already hated and viliefied by a huge chunk of the country no thanks in part to her Native American ancestry scandal, Harris is the walking caricature of everything Fox News has been portraying Democrats as for the past 40 years, and Susan Rice’s involvement in Benghazi (yet another highly polarizing event) makes it easy for large swaths of the country to hate her
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3588 on: July 10, 2020, 01:03:32 PM »

Ok Brie Brie.

I, too, remember Briahna Joy Gray lambasting Harris for "identity politics" and claiming anyone put off by her criminal justice record was far left.

/s

Personally, though, I think Harris gets the most criticism for a much simpler reason than all the hypotheses in here: she's quite clearly the frontrunner. That means you get all sorts of grass-is-greener takes and more critical analysis of her pseudo-candidacy.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #3589 on: July 10, 2020, 01:22:41 PM »

Ok Brie Brie.

I, too, remember Briahna Joy Gray lambasting Harris for "identity politics" and claiming anyone put off by her criminal justice record was far left.

/s

Personally, though, I think Harris gets the most criticism for a much simpler reason than all the hypotheses in here: she's quite clearly the frontrunner. That means you get all sorts of grass-is-greener takes and more critical analysis of her pseudo-candidacy.

This is probably true.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3590 on: July 10, 2020, 01:31:26 PM »

Warren is already hated and viliefied by a huge chunk of the country no thanks in part to her Native American ancestry scandal, Harris is the walking caricature of everything Fox News has been portraying Democrats as for the past 40 years, and Susan Rice’s involvement in Benghazi (yet another highly polarizing event) makes it easy for large swaths of the country to hate her
A stretch but ok.

It’s funny how Kamala is this far left, cancel culture, men are trash, all white people should repent for slavery liberal and tough on crime, corporate, centrist, status quo empty suit simultaneously.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3591 on: July 10, 2020, 01:54:26 PM »

/s

Did you really miss the part where for the last four years Sanders and his minions routinely blasted "identity politics" as a distraction and harmful for the prospects of the party?
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3592 on: July 10, 2020, 02:03:08 PM »

A stretch but ok.

It’s funny how Kamala is this far left, cancel culture, men are trash, all white people should repent for slavery liberal and tough on crime, corporate, centrist, status quo empty suit simultaneously.

I’m just saying what no one else seems to want to acknowledge on here: Kamala Harris will be hurt by sexism and racism more than most other women on this list.

“She’s from San Francisco, she isn’t one of you!”
“Another coastal elitist”
“She has no kids and married for money”
“She’s a narcissist who tried to paint herself as the female Obama”

That’s not even getting into what Fox and Trump will try to do to further dog whistle
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3593 on: July 10, 2020, 02:06:09 PM »

/s

Did you really miss the part where for the last four years Sanders and his minions routinely blasted "identity politics" as a distraction and harmful for the prospects of the party?

Certain Sanders-sympathetic commentators/allies engaged in it, but that was never Briahna Joy Gray's line. Her critique of identity politics essentially boils down to being in favour of it as long as the proponents agree with her.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #3594 on: July 10, 2020, 02:17:14 PM »

Right, like why are we just assuming that every VP candidate doesn't have some type of baggage and doesn't make mistakes? All DisneyDem does is just sh*t on Harris all the time.
As I think I’ve said before, the day after the 2016 election a friend from California mentioned her. I get super excited at the prospect of her running. Then in 2017 when Bernie people were attacking her, I defended her and assumed the attatcks or in bad faith. It was only when I really started researching her record in 2019 that I began to question my Prior  View. Then she did several things during the campaign that made me ask even more questions. And I came away thinking the picture of her painted by her supporters is simply very different from the real thing. I sincerely wish it wasn’t so. Obviously you and many others thank you Riggs Zack opposite is true. I wish we could agree that we weigh things differently instead of assuming either of us is acting in bad faith. Please excuse The typos. Voice recognition is stupid
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3595 on: July 10, 2020, 02:32:23 PM »

A stretch but ok.

It’s almost as if there are different groups of people that have different views of her.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3596 on: July 10, 2020, 03:10:42 PM »

As I think I’ve said before, the day after the 2016 election a friend from California mentioned her. I get super excited at the prospect of her running. Then in 2017 when Bernie people were attacking her, I defended her and assumed the attatcks or in bad faith. It was only when I really started researching her record in 2019 that I began to question my Prior  View. Then she did several things during the campaign that made me ask even more questions. And I came away thinking the picture of her painted by her supporters is simply very different from the real thing. I sincerely wish it wasn’t so. Obviously you and many others thank you Riggs Zack opposite is true. I wish we could agree that we weigh things differently instead of assuming either of us is acting in bad faith. Please excuse The typos. Voice recognition is stupid

Your attacks are all in bad faith though, and rather than talking accurately about her record, you're essentially just repeating the same smears and mistruths that Rose Twitter has plagued social media with. And even with a few transgressions, you keep acting as if her entire career, "once you researched it", is nothing but negative. Your attacks just come off very bad faith constantly. There has been this hate boner obsession with Harris and I can't help but feel there's a few specific reasons why.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3597 on: July 10, 2020, 03:10:58 PM »

A stretch but ok.

I’m just saying what no one else seems to want to acknowledge on here: Kamala Harris will be hurt by sexism and racism more than most other women on this list.

“She’s from San Francisco, she isn’t one of you!”
“Another coastal elitist”
“She has no kids and married for money”
“She’s a narcissist who tried to paint herself as the female Obama”

That’s not even getting into what Fox and Trump will try to do to further dog whistle
So Democrats should be scared about nominating anyone from California because of what some morons think? And Democrats should never nominate a Black woman because of what some racists/sexists think?

Why even choose a non-White woman then? Biden should just choose between Baldwin, Whitmer & Warren.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #3598 on: July 10, 2020, 03:12:19 PM »

I hope Biden does not get blindsided by loyalty. She would be a diasterous pick.

I completely disagree. People keep saying they'll trash her for Benghazi, people don't care about Benghazi and especially the Black community could give a crap about Benghazi. If the GOP try to drum that up, it'll fall on deaf ears as the Trump Administration just lies about everything and Hillary Clinton was cleared of any wrong doing. The "Meh... What about her e-mail's though?!" wouldn't stick to Susan Rice either. Also, the working relationship with her and Biden is well documented and I think he'll be most comfortable with her by his side.

Kamala is the clear favorite to win the nomination and she'll be a great pick and I think the West Coast would be excited since Reagan was the last west coast politician to be held to such a high position in government. I think Duckworth would be a great choice as well, Warren would be a great choice, Demings would be a great choice since she's from a swing state and I don't think her Police Chief record would hurt her unless they found something in the vetting process and KLB is my choice but I don't see it happening but I think she could really win over swing voters for being a straight shooter.

Overall, unlike most people on this board, I don't think Biden could make the wrong choice right now. Even Grisham I think would be a great pick at this point. I trust the Biden team will pick who they think will work best with them and who is most ready for the job. That's why I think Susan Rice will be picked and she's done pretty good interviews with no gaffes so far except with the Far Left about the Draft, which is dumb. I support using the draft in the most extreme circumstance, I mean other countries mandate that you do 2 years of military service anyways, so I don't want to hear from the Far Left that it's UnAmerican, its quite the opposite.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #3599 on: July 10, 2020, 03:14:54 PM »

Anyone who cares what Fox News says isn’t voting for Biden anyway
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 141 142 143 [144] 145 146 147 148 149 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies