Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 02:37:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 137 138 139 [140] 141 142 143 144 145 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 366105 times)
politics_king
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3475 on: July 07, 2020, 08:38:42 PM »

This is definitely not the hill to die on if I'm the Trump, Tucker & the GOP. They'll look foolish trying to attack her.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3476 on: July 07, 2020, 08:43:54 PM »

Serious question: do you think anyone on the fence is going to flip to Trump because Duckworth is VP?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3477 on: July 07, 2020, 08:49:00 PM »

Serious question: do you think anyone on the fence is going to flip to Trump because Duckworth is VP?

FWIW, a very good friend of mine, who generally votes Republican and voted for Trump in 2016, said he'd consider voting for Biden if Duckworth or Demings was the VP, but thinks Harris and Warren are too far left. His words, not mine.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #3478 on: July 07, 2020, 09:50:20 PM »

Not a soul.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3479 on: July 07, 2020, 10:28:03 PM »

TV Dinner Trust Fund Baby and Serial Draft Dodger tells Purple Heart Recipient-turned-successful politician-potentially-turned Vice President that she's not a real veteran.

The GOP's lies are just dangerously incorrect.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #3480 on: July 07, 2020, 10:28:14 PM »

It's just shocking to me that the free speech lovin' anti-cancel culture Trumpists would go after someone for just suggesting people listen to an alternative viewpoint.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #3481 on: July 07, 2020, 10:34:45 PM »

FWIW, a very good friend of mine, who generally votes Republican and voted for Trump in 2016, said he'd consider voting for Biden if Duckworth or Demings was the VP, but thinks Harris and Warren are too far left. His words, not mine.

I don’t buy it. He’ll find an excuse to vote Trump even with one of them on the ticket
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #3482 on: July 07, 2020, 10:51:43 PM »

The reason I love Duckworth as a VP pick (and have from the start) is that her personal life story inoculates her against any negative press she'll get when she's chosen. With Warren, some of the conversation would center on her lefty views and the Native American scandal. Harris is easily caricatured as a California liberal but would also receive criticism of her criminal justice record from both the left and right. With Rice you have Benghazi and other more legitimate foreign policy gripes. Even Val Demings would probably be dinged for her role as police chief as well as any controversies in the PD that happened under her.

That's not to say that's all of what the news coverage would focus on for each pick; there would be positive aspects highlighted pushed by the Biden campaign. But those topics are some of what you can expect from the right (and left) if they're chosen.

The moment Duckworth is picked the coverage will overwhelmingly focus on her injury and subsequent entry into politics. She only became a senator in 2016 and she hasn't been a star of the news cycle like some of her colleagues. There isn't that much notable about her political positions and career. That's a massive advantage: nearly all of her introduction to the electorate will focus on her compelling personal story. Of course, the right will try to attack her with a variety of weapons (the statue thing being one), but that sort of thing could easily backfire and turn into another Khizr Khan moment.

The fact that Duckworth is less well known than Harris or Warren works in her favor because the most notable aspect of her career is so positive.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #3483 on: July 07, 2020, 11:06:20 PM »

Exactly, she will have wider appeal than a Harris, Warren and Rice who appeal mainly to urban intellectuals who are more socially liberal, winners of the meritocracy game.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3484 on: July 07, 2020, 11:35:15 PM »

This "scandal" is actually improving her stock
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #3485 on: July 08, 2020, 12:18:03 AM »

Exactly, she will have wider appeal than a Harris, Warren and Rice who appeal mainly to urban intellectuals who are more socially liberal, winners of the meritocracy game.

Or she'll instantly be over-inflated into a Palin figure who captures everyone's attention but then fails to adequately meet expectations when she's put on TV. And if she does flounder, it would reflect poorly on Biden. He's doing so well right now that I'd hate for him to toss in a gigantic unknown like Duckworth and then end up screwed. Same story for the risk/reward that would come with choosing Warren. She automatically alienates some people and automatically inspires others, but it's not at all clear which of those effects would ultimately come out stronger.

Harris, on the other hand, adds "energy" and "youthfulness" with relatively little risk. I honestly think it has to be Kamala.

Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #3486 on: July 08, 2020, 01:10:54 AM »

Or she'll instantly be over-inflated into a Palin figure who captures everyone's attention but then fails to adequately meet expectations when she's put on TV. And if she does flounder, it would reflect poorly on Biden. He's doing so well right now that I'd hate for him to toss in a gigantic unknown like Duckworth and then end up screwed. Same story for the risk/reward that would come with choosing Warren. She automatically alienates some people and automatically inspires others, but it's not at all clear which of those effects would ultimately come out stronger.

Harris, on the other hand, adds "energy" and "youthfulness" with relatively little risk. I honestly think it has to be Kamala.

She has shown she can weather a storm. How you handle moments like these matter a lot.  If I were to go with an unknown I would choose her over Rice in a heartbeat.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #3487 on: July 08, 2020, 02:08:15 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2020, 02:59:04 PM by Monstro »

If you think it "has" to be someone, then no amount of convincing will do good for you. Everyone will look like Sarah Palin or Dan Quayle to you if it's not the running mate you want. I'd think the Biden camp has done a tenfold job of vetting running mates than the McCain camp ever did.

It's like how the litmus test for a running mate here must be a female non-white Senator (Not Governor/Mayor/Congressperson) whose a known commodity and has run a national presidential campaign. Gee, I wonder who that narrows it down to. Might as well add "Has both of their legs" to the test to disqualify Duckworth even further (Though that might as well be filled under "energy" and "youthfulness")

I also hate how this "running mates have negligible electoral effects" take is applied inconsistently. That "Anti-Trump sentiment is so strong that Trump would lose to any Democrat", but Biden must pick Harris lest he face a humiliating defeat?

And if being unknown is a problem, perhaps being the running mate to the current double-digit frontrunner is a good jumping off point for Duckworth.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #3488 on: July 08, 2020, 04:23:23 AM »

'It is historic': Women of color dominate Joe Biden's list for vice president

As Joe Biden weighs potential running mates, he has been asked repeatedly about the women he is considering. The Democrat has responded repeatedly that multiple women of color are on his list.

The former vice president’s statement has all the makings of a coy dodge, keeping all possibilities open. But it is also a milestone.

“There has not been another time in our nation’s history where a nominee of either party has announced that several well-qualified women, including women of color, are under serious consideration,” said Valerie Jarrett, longtime friend and White House advisor to President Obama.

https://us.yahoo.com/news/historic-women-color-dominate-joe-120046199.html
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3489 on: July 08, 2020, 05:16:48 AM »

... as she floundered on TV this past Sunday. I don't have ill will towards Duckworth and I think she'd be fine, but I think people are making her out to be this giant persona when she's... not. She still clearly is not great on the interview circuit and no offense, but just because she has her "story" does not make her an instant good VP pick. Duckworth is too unknown, and much like the workplace retaliation suit, we have no idea what else is in her closet.

Maybe I'm biased, but I agree that it should be Harris. People like Duckworth or Warren or Demings check off a few boxes, but I feel Harris checks almost all of them off.

But for some reason, Harris has a huge hate boner here from people so I'm sure many will disagree.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #3490 on: July 08, 2020, 09:14:42 AM »

I think Duckworth because of her history can withstand screwups like Sunday much more than Harris. Not one would question her patriotism because of her background. And I know Harris/Warren are more polished on TV but a lot of people like authenticity.

The reason Biden won is because of this. Face it, the meritocracy winners as I've said supported candidates like Warren, Pete and even Harris early on. They are very influential on social media but simply not a majority of rank and file voters. This group is also heavily concentrated on the coasts in 5-7 large cities, not in MI WI PA FL AZ.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3491 on: July 08, 2020, 09:16:41 AM »

I really wish Joe Biden would go ahead and put this thread out of its misery.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3492 on: July 08, 2020, 09:33:29 AM »

Only about another month or so.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #3493 on: July 08, 2020, 12:52:30 PM »

Only about another month or so.

Can we get up to 250 pages?
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3494 on: July 08, 2020, 01:16:44 PM »

Of course you're backing her.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3495 on: July 08, 2020, 01:31:10 PM »

Context?  Sad
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3496 on: July 08, 2020, 01:34:36 PM »

good point

Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #3497 on: July 08, 2020, 01:40:01 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2020, 01:46:57 PM by Canis »

This is a "Democrat" Senate candidate running against Tina Smith in the primary lmao
He's an evil demon.

Seriously, what the f***!?
Self Described Trumpocrat LMAO
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #3498 on: July 08, 2020, 01:57:28 PM »

Context?  Sad

Sawx thinks the world revolves around him and that I have chosen Kamala Harris because it would offer him some form of specific spite. Or something. Just like how he can’t let go of whatever discussion was happening above about the “KHive,” which basically no one outside of this forum and the tiniest of hack circles on Twitter has ever even heard of.

The truth is, I don’t believe Kamala is an especially substantive politician, I never supported her for president, and I don’t even want her to be vice president. I just think she’s the safest choice: She has the fewest unknowns, guarantees a few small positives, is ready to be president, and has been through the sorts of rigours we know she’ll need to face.

Somebody above said that arguing Harris “has to” be the choice means I’m not open to being convinced otherwise and that it makes it easy for me to cast everyone as a Palin figure. That’s ridiculous black-and-white thinking. The choices aren’t “goddess Kamala” and a barrel of poison. I just feel that Duckworth is particularly susceptible to being Palinized because she has all the hallmarks of a celebrity candidate with already some of the red flags that show she may not be politically agile enough to deal with the spotlight. Why would you choose someone who you know will receive more outsized attention than anybody else and who you don’t know has the political skills to keep up with the pressure? It could all work out fine, and I’d possibly take the risk if I were only up by three. Biden is up by 10. It doesn’t make sense.
Jon Tester
Rookie

« Reply #3499 on: July 08, 2020, 02:32:02 PM »

Joe Donnelly comes to Duckworth's defence.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 137 138 139 [140] 141 142 143 144 145 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies