Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 09:38:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89 90 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 364511 times)
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2100 on: June 02, 2020, 01:31:16 PM »

No, Biden is not going to pick someone like Abrams over a Senator or Governor or even a House member.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #2101 on: June 02, 2020, 01:55:50 PM »

Warren is a disaster waiting to happen. I dont know why people think she would be a good running mate.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2102 on: June 02, 2020, 02:38:36 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2020, 04:18:38 PM by Cory Booker »

No, Biden is not going to pick someone like Abrams over a Senator or Governor or even a House member.

Whitmer isnt gonna be selected either
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2103 on: June 02, 2020, 02:49:34 PM »

This is why she needs to be VP.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2104 on: June 02, 2020, 02:51:36 PM »

But it's safe to say that Warren, Harris, Demings, KLB, and maybe Abrams are the most likely candidates at this point, right?

Do we even know for sure that Abrams and KLB are currently being vetted?  Biden flat out said that Demings was "on the list", and numerous "insider" accounts suggest that Harris is at or near the top of the list, but I'm not aware of similar reporting on the other two.  (Though maybe there has been such reporting, and I'm unaware of it.)

Btw, this isn't confirmation that she's being vetted, but Biden praised KLB today:

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/biden-praises-atlanta-mayor-bottoms-for-incredible-protest-response/ERUMMnmaMMF0UqHtD2Aw5L/

Presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden praised Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms for her “incredible” response to days of civil unrest, singling her out during a Monday forum with other mayors for her passionate plea asking demonstrators to go home.

During a virtual discussion with Bottoms and the mayors of Chicago, Los Angeles and St. Paul, Biden stoked more talk that he could pick the first-term Atlanta mayor to be his running-mate, lauding her message to protesters over the weekend.

“You’ve been incredible. I’ve watched you like millions and millions of Americans have on television of late,” Biden said. “Your passion, your composure, your balance has been really incredible.”
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2105 on: June 02, 2020, 02:54:51 PM »

MSNBC was going to host a Biden-Warren town hall on Thursday, but looks like it's being postponed:

Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #2106 on: June 02, 2020, 03:32:16 PM »

I'm personally still skeptical on Demings doing that well as a VP candidate. It really wouldn't be hard to find some negative story from the Orlando PD and run with it. Her low profile isn't helpful either. And also because Florida is so fractured she's not really to be much of a boost outside of the I-4 corridor (which as I said in a post a while back is not the only place the Democrats need to do well to win FL; Clinton won the I-4 corridor and still lost).

At this point I think the most likely candidates are Harris and Warren. Things are so chaotic that Biden doesn't need to waste time introducing people to his Veep, especially one that is probably more likely than any modern VP to be President in the next few years.

I think Harris and Warren are most likely also.  But given Klobuchar's plummeting standing and Cortez Masto dropping out, an argument could be made that Demings is 4th or even 3rd in line.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2107 on: June 02, 2020, 03:41:04 PM »

Yeah, we really don't know a lot of Demings history. Meanwhile, with Harris, a lot of the stuff in her past is already out there.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2108 on: June 02, 2020, 04:22:15 PM »

Warren is a disaster waiting to happen. I dont know why people think she would be a good running mate.

This is funny., because Betsy Sweet and Barb Bollier are 70ish and both are top contenders in the ME and KS Senate races
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2109 on: June 02, 2020, 05:48:25 PM »

Tremendous to see the love that the People have for their next Vice President!

SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2110 on: June 03, 2020, 04:43:33 AM »

Current (June 2 at 10:00am est) PredictIt prices:

Kamala Harris: 39¢
Val Demings: 16¢
Elizabeth Warren: 12¢
Keisha Lance Bottoms: 9¢
Stacey Abrams: 7¢
Amy Klobuchar: 7¢
Tammy Duckworth: 5¢
Gretchen Whitmer: 5¢
Susan Rice: 4¢
Harris: probably most likely pick at this point, though not my first choice
Demings: never heard of her; unlikely
Warren: 71 y/o; possible but not probable
Bottoms: never heard of her; unlikely
Abrams: possibly a good choice, though it would have been better had she won in 2018
Klobuchar: it will be interesting to see her explain her handling of MN police misconduct; possible
Duckworth: from all I have seen, an excellent choice
Whitmer: another excellent choice (not that I'm biased or anything)
Rice: No

Is Tammy Baldwin on the list? I see her as a better pick than Demings, Bottoms, or Rice.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2111 on: June 03, 2020, 04:51:04 AM »

Current (June 2 at 10:00am est) PredictIt prices:

Kamala Harris: 39¢
Val Demings: 16¢
Elizabeth Warren: 12¢
Keisha Lance Bottoms: 9¢
Stacey Abrams: 7¢
Amy Klobuchar: 7¢
Tammy Duckworth: 5¢
Gretchen Whitmer: 5¢
Susan Rice: 4¢
Harris: probably most likely pick at this point, though not my first choice
Demings: never heard of her; unlikely
Warren: 71 y/o; possible but not probable
Bottoms: never heard of her; unlikely
Abrams: possibly a good choice, though it would have been better had she won in 2018
Klobuchar: it will be interesting to see her explain her handling of MN police misconduct; possible
Duckworth: from all I have seen, an excellent choice
Whitmer: another excellent choice (not that I'm biased or anything)
Rice: No

Is Tammy Baldwin on the list? I see her as a better pick than Demings, Bottoms, or Rice.

Baldwin would be in a Sherrod Brown situation where she's probably the pick Biden wants, but we can't afford to give up that Senate seat in a special election possibly with how close the Senate is gonna be
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #2112 on: June 03, 2020, 04:23:22 PM »

Why Joe Biden will almost certainly pick a black woman as VP

South Carolina Rep. Jim Clyburn, whose endorsement of Biden days before the primary was, without question, the turning point of the race, was asked about Biden choosing a black woman as his running mate on Wednesday morning in a conversation with The Washington Post's Jonathan Capehart. "The only thing that's a must in this process at this time is to win," Clyburn said. "That's to win. It will be a plus to have an African American woman. It will be a plus to have a Latino. It will be a plus to have a woman."
True enough! But there's a strong case to be made that the best chance of Biden winning the White House is by picking a black woman as his running mate.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/03/politics/joe-biden-vp-kamala-harris-val-demings-keisha-lance-bottoms/index.html
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #2113 on: June 03, 2020, 04:37:10 PM »

South Carolina Rep. Jim Clyburn, whose endorsement of Biden days before the primary was, without question, the turning point of the race, was asked about Biden choosing a black woman as his running mate on Wednesday morning in a conversation with The Washington Post's Jonathan Capehart. "The only thing that's a must in this process at this time is to win," Clyburn said. "That's to win. It will be a plus to have an African American woman. It will be a plus to have a Latino. It will be a plus to have a woman."
True enough! But there's a strong case to be made that the best chance of Biden winning the White House is by picking a black woman as his running mate.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/03/politics/joe-biden-vp-kamala-harris-val-demings-keisha-lance-bottoms/index.html

If that is the direction Biden is going in, he should pick Sen. Harris and I think he will.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2114 on: June 03, 2020, 04:38:02 PM »

It's Chris Cillizza. Even Clyburn is not insisting it has to be a black woman.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2115 on: June 03, 2020, 05:00:06 PM »

At this point I think it's Harris or Demings. I like Keisha Lance Bottoms a lot and I think Biden probably does too, but three or four months of campaign signs with "BIDEN BOTTOMS" written on them spectacularly fails the "first, do no harm" rule.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #2116 on: June 03, 2020, 05:15:35 PM »

There are ways around that like Joe /Keisha Or JB/KB
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #2117 on: June 03, 2020, 05:22:30 PM »

At this point I think it's Harris or Demings. I like Keisha Lance Bottoms a lot and I think Biden probably does too, but three or four months of campaign signs with "BIDEN BOTTOMS" written on them spectacularly fails the "first, do no harm" rule.

Maybe it could boost LGBTQ turnout, lol.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #2118 on: June 03, 2020, 06:46:06 PM »

Guess I'll join the chorus of it being between Harris and Demings. My gut tells me it'll be Harris.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2119 on: June 03, 2020, 07:25:29 PM »

Guess I'll join the chorus of it being between Harris and Demings. My gut tells me it'll be Harris.

This.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #2120 on: June 03, 2020, 07:31:39 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 08:56:39 PM by Monstro »

Feels like it'll be Harris. I guess it's good? I don't know.

Ever since her first statewide race in 2010, I never got the hype or enthusiasm for her. Never got a grasp of who she was or what she stood for. And if charisma is a factor, I never saw any in her.

I guess it doesn't matter because California will go blue regardless and Biden's numbers won't be affected very much by whoever he picks. But if both are the case, it wouldn't matter who his running mate would be. If so, I'd rather it was someone like Sen. Duckworth or Mayor Bottoms. Perhaps Rep. Demings, although I don't know how her law enforcement past would fly
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2121 on: June 03, 2020, 07:52:50 PM »

Has Biden signaled when he might decide by? I haven't been checking this thread in a while.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2122 on: June 03, 2020, 08:04:50 PM »

Has Biden signaled when he might decide by? I haven't been checking this thread in a while.
August 1st.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #2123 on: June 03, 2020, 08:36:51 PM »

There are ways around that like Joe /Keisha Or JB/KB

Or Biden-Lance Bottoms
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2124 on: June 04, 2020, 07:29:25 AM »

Sabato/Kondik's new VP rankings:

1. Harris
2. Demings
3. Duckworth
4. Warren
5. Baldwin
6. Raimondo
7. Lujan Grisham
8. Whitmer
9. Hassan
10. Abrams

There are several other possibilities who didn’t make our top 10 but could merit strong consideration. We already mentioned Klobuchar. Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms, former National Security Adviser Susan Rice, and Rep. Terri Sewell (D, AL-7) are other possible black contenders, although for various reasons we didn’t think they merited inclusion in the top 10. Other wild card possibilities include former Gov. Janet Napolitano (D-AZ), Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY), and others. We’ll update these rankings as we get closer to Biden’s selection, unless he surprises us with an announcement earlier than he has suggested.

I've been advocating for Demings and Duckworth for a long time, so it's cool to see them in the top three.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89 90 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies