Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 10:35:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 363277 times)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2075 on: June 01, 2020, 05:23:28 AM »

You also seem to have failed to read what he wrote.
1) Biden won the overwhelming support of black voters, on the backs of old blacks. They’re suppprt for him never wavered in the primary and they got the candidate they wanted. They also are simultaneously the most likely to vote and are the voters that would be excited by a black VP. There’s no more upside trying to appeal to them.

2) Warren didn’t ignore Black voters. If anything, she’s been the most consistent in both the primary and the Veepstakes on pushing policies to help the Black community.
No I read it and didn't agree. And that last point is not true. Warren does not have receipts in Black spaces. Period. I'm glad that woke Black blue checks supported her on Twitter (I did as well for much of the primary) but that doesn't substitute an actual record (that Kamala has and doesn't have to build one overnight if selected). Kamala centered Black women in her platform but her actual policies were ignored for whatever reason. She has also been very vocal on COVID-19's disproportionate impact on Black people and the recent killings of unarmed Black Americans by vigilantes and police officers.

Young, Black voters are not all enamored by Warren and Bernie. Many don't know who she is nor have they even tuned in yet so I'm not convinced that Warren will be this big boon for young Black people.

Even assuming that is true (which their under 30 support in the primary polls would say isn’t), young Black voters do know Kamala and don’t particularly care much for her. So I’m not convinced that she would be a boon to black voters at all.
President Biden Democrat
mrappaport1220
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2076 on: June 01, 2020, 10:16:18 AM »

It'd be best to diversify the ticket. Val Demings would be the best in my opinion. She's a centrist from a critical swing state, Florida. She is also basically scandal free unlike other candidates like Klobuchar and Harris. I also like Stacey Abrams but she does not have enough experience. Other candidates like Kamala Harris would also make sense for Biden. I think ultimately Biden will pick Harris because she is a senator who would help Biden diversify the ticket.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #2077 on: June 01, 2020, 11:22:30 AM »

My top two choices would be Warren or Lance Bottoms, in that order.  I previously dismissed Lance Bottoms because of experience, but in terms of leadership, I think she would be top notch. 

I don't think Harris necessarily hurts, but I don't think she helps much either.

Klobuchar is probably too toxic at this point to be picked.

Abrams would be a fine choice too.  Not as much experience in the conventional sense, but that's not necessarily the end all be all.  I mean, Buttigieg was mayor of a pretty small city, and most considered him qualified.  I think Abrams probably has more relevant experience than that.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #2078 on: June 01, 2020, 11:31:09 AM »

Looking at your track record I think we can safely say it won't be Warren now

my prediction that biden's vp will be karen bass remains unchanged
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2079 on: June 01, 2020, 12:17:41 PM »

Some of you are being disingenuously anti-Kamala. Also, how can some of you say Biden should pick Val Demings or Amy Klobuchar but not Kamala? It just makes no sense and is very *interesting* to say the least.

I don't oppose Elizabeth Warren being the VP but I personally think that 2 old White people at the top of the ticket is just a bad look in 2020. We're supposed to be the party of racial diversity and youth and yet these are the 2 people we choose to lead us?
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #2080 on: June 01, 2020, 01:05:58 PM »

Some of you are being disingenuously anti-Kamala. Also, how can some of you say Biden should pick Val Demings or Amy Klobuchar but not Kamala? It just makes no sense and is very *interesting* to say the least.

I don't oppose Elizabeth Warren being the VP but I personally think that 2 old White people at the top of the ticket is just a bad look in 2020. We're supposed to be the party of racial diversity and youth and yet these are the 2 people we choose to lead us?

I get the diversity idea, but that’s not how elections or candidates should be decided. It’d be different if white voters forced us to have an old white guy in charge, but by-and-large it was Blacks who forced Biden on the rest of us.

I’m not anti-Kamala exactly, I’d just prefer Warren because I trust her more to govern and think she’s less likely to run in 2024 and clear the field. VP Harris would basically be running as a de-facto incumbent and I don’t like the idea of us being robbed of a truly competitive primary for 4 cycles in a row.
ShamDam
ChanDan

« Reply #2081 on: June 01, 2020, 01:26:01 PM »

I get the diversity idea, but that’s not how elections or candidates should be decided. It’d be different if white voters forced us to have an old white guy in charge, but by-and-large it was Blacks who forced Biden on the rest of us.

I’m not anti-Kamala exactly, I’d just prefer Warren because I trust her more to govern and think she’s less likely to run in 2024 and clear the field. VP Harris would basically be running as a de-facto incumbent and I don’t like the idea of us being robbed of a truly competitive primary for 4 cycles in a row.

I prefer Warren to Kamala but I don't care who you are -- the glorious nectar of the goblet of power will convince any VP to run for president in 2024. Plus, they may not need to be a de facto incumbent. There's a pretty high chance that they'll be the literal incumbent, depending on Biden's health. 
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #2082 on: June 01, 2020, 01:38:01 PM »

I am perhaps Kamala’s biggest critic and I don’t like Amy either. Val Is a step up for me because she didn’t defend wrongful convictions and laugh at the R word, but she’s far from First choice I would preferred Karen bass, Keisha Lance bottoms, The mayor of DC, Marcia fudge, London bread, Congresswoman Presley, Susan rice or Stacey Abrams, in any order. I like Warren and Duckworth but I think it should probably be a Black woman, specifically anyone but Harris. But if you forced me to pick a lowest one besides her it would probably be Val, To answer your question in a really long winded fashion
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #2083 on: June 01, 2020, 04:32:27 PM »

politics_king
United States

« Reply #2084 on: June 01, 2020, 04:42:51 PM »

I would say the Top 5 is looking like...

1.) Kamala Harris
2.) Elizabeth Warren
3.) Val Demings
4.) Keisha Lance Bottoms
5.) Amy Klobuchar

The best thing to notice in these situations is watch these 5 women during TV interviews on CNN, MSNBC and the Sunday Pundit Shows. They're basically try-outs. Elizabeth Warren is doing 2 hours with Joe Biden on The Last Word for MSNBC this week. I'm really starting to like Keisha Lance Bottoms though, young, Mayor of one of the biggest cities in the United States, great speaker and projects leadership. She also has going for her being an early endorser for Biden and surrogate, stuff like that goes a long way.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2085 on: June 01, 2020, 04:52:57 PM »

1.) Kamala Harris
2.) Elizabeth Warren
3.) Val Demings
4.) Keisha Lance Bottoms
5.) Amy Klobuchar

The best thing to notice in these situations is watch these 5 women during TV interviews on CNN, MSNBC and the Sunday Pundit Shows. They're basically try-outs. Elizabeth Warren is doing 2 hours with Joe Biden on The Last Word for MSNBC this week. I'm really starting to like Keisha Lance Bottoms though, young, Mayor of one of the biggest cities in the United States, great speaker and projects leadership. She also has going for her being an early endorser for Biden and surrogate, stuff like that goes a long way.

Absolutely zero chance Klobuchar is being considered anymore.

Rest of your list is good though.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2086 on: June 01, 2020, 05:09:32 PM »

I can see why Bottoms, but why would the protests elevate Demings any more than they would Harris?
politics_king
United States

« Reply #2087 on: June 01, 2020, 05:41:43 PM »

1.) Kamala Harris
2.) Elizabeth Warren
3.) Val Demings
4.) Keisha Lance Bottoms
5.) Amy Klobuchar

Absolutely zero chance Klobuchar is being considered anymore.

Rest of your list is good though.

I agree, but I have a feeling she's not completely out of it, but I'm sure she's being considered for a cabinet position but it won't be Attorney General.
walleye26

« Reply #2088 on: June 01, 2020, 07:55:25 PM »

Atlanta is the 37th largest city in the US, but still pretty good sized. If you asked me my order, I would rank the following in this order:
1. Val Demings (moderate and from swing state)
2) Tammy Duckworth (probably more appealing because of her background)
3) Michelle Lujan Grisham (Latina and I really don’t think the scandal is a big deal)
4) Keisha Lance Bottoms (swing state boost)

I wouldn’t pick Kamala because I don’t think she adds much, and Warren’s seat could have a Republican appointed to it, so no for that reason.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2089 on: June 01, 2020, 07:57:16 PM »

Atlanta is the 37th largest city in the US, but still pretty good sized. If you asked me my order, I would rank the following in this order:
1. Val Demings (moderate and from swing state)
2) Tammy Duckworth (probably more appealing because of her background)
3) Michelle Lujan Grisham (Latina and I really don’t think the scandal is a big deal)
4) Keisha Lance Bottoms (swing state boost)

I wouldn’t pick Kamala because I don’t think she adds much, and Warren’s seat could have a Republican appointed to it, so no for that reason.

For the umpteenth time, the Massachusetts Legislature would see to that not happening.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2090 on: June 01, 2020, 07:58:05 PM »

I can see why Bottoms, but why would the protests elevate Demings any more than they would Harris?

Only because Harris is already a top-tier contender
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2091 on: June 02, 2020, 01:49:49 AM »

Bottoms is for sure an interesting pick, but I'm sure she will hit hard on the experience issue since Biden would be a prez turning 80 in the middle of the term. Of course, the GOP has no credibility to go after experience of a Dem VP contender who served as mayor of a 500k city when the nominated a failed business tycoon and Reality TV clown.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #2092 on: June 02, 2020, 02:58:54 AM »

I prefer Warren to Kamala but I don't care who you are -- the glorious nectar of the goblet of power will convince any VP to run for president in 2024. Plus, they may not need to be a de facto incumbent. There's a pretty high chance that they'll be the literal incumbent, depending on Biden's health. 

hee hee that makes me think everyone is like Gollum going on about "my precious!"

I agree that Vice President [insert female Democrat here] is highly likely to for president in 2024 if Biden steps aside.  Harris and Warren are especially almost certain to given that they ran for president already.  The desire has already been shown.  If a 77 year-old Biden can get the nomination in 2020, a 74 year-old Vice President Warren in 2024 would think "so can I."   

American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #2093 on: June 02, 2020, 07:41:32 AM »

LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #2094 on: June 02, 2020, 08:19:42 AM »

I'm personally still skeptical on Demings doing that well as a VP candidate. It really wouldn't be hard to find some negative story from the Orlando PD and run with it. Her low profile isn't helpful either. And also because Florida is so fractured she's not really to be much of a boost outside of the I-4 corridor (which as I said in a post a while back is not the only place the Democrats need to do well to win FL; Clinton won the I-4 corridor and still lost).

At this point I think the most likely candidates are Harris and Warren. Things are so chaotic that Biden doesn't need to waste time introducing people to his Veep, especially one that is probably more likely than any modern VP to be President in the next few years.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #2095 on: June 02, 2020, 08:32:24 AM »

I don’t see how KLB is not in the top three at this point the world knows her now. Same thing with Val
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -4.00

« Reply #2096 on: June 02, 2020, 09:10:03 AM »

I don’t see how KLB is not in the top three at this point the world knows her now. Same thing with Val

The world really doesn't know her now. Most people, outside of very high information voters, would still not recognize her name or face.
JRP1994

« Reply #2097 on: June 02, 2020, 09:16:04 AM »

Current (June 2 at 10:00am est) PredictIt prices:

Kamala Harris: 39¢
Val Demings: 16¢
Elizabeth Warren: 12¢
Keisha Lance Bottoms: 9¢
Stacey Abrams: 7¢
Amy Klobuchar: 7¢
Tammy Duckworth: 5¢
Gretchen Whitmer: 5¢
Susan Rice: 4¢
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2098 on: June 02, 2020, 01:05:05 PM »

Stacy Abams would be a very strong pick
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2099 on: June 02, 2020, 01:11:05 PM »

I'm starting to hope KLB is the pick just to spite Stacey Abrams (for not being the black woman from Georgia who was picked as VP) and Pete Buttigieg (for not being a good enough Mayor to get on the ticket)

But it's safe to say that Warren, Harris, Demings, KLB, and maybe Abrams are the most likely candidates at this point, right?
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies