Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 03:25:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 363780 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1675 on: May 23, 2020, 12:33:52 PM »

It's amazing to me the collective freak out that I've seen on social media about the Klobuchar thing. You'd think that Biden just announced yesterday that she WAS the official VP pick. People don't seem to understand what vetting means.

But as others have said, even before yesterday, I always thought he would pick a woman of color for the VP, and I still think Kamala is it. She just makes sense.

Combination of people not understanding what vetting is and people knowing what vetting is, but amplifying those who don't just to sow discord.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #1676 on: May 23, 2020, 12:55:13 PM »

It's amazing to me the collective freak out that I've seen on social media about the Klobuchar thing. You'd think that Biden just announced yesterday that she WAS the official VP pick. People don't seem to understand what vetting means.

But as others have said, even before yesterday, I always thought he would pick a woman of color for the VP, and I still think Kamala is it. She just makes sense.
Kamala has as much baggage with the black community as Amy does though. Literally any other black woman would be better.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1677 on: May 23, 2020, 12:58:05 PM »

Kamala has as much baggage with the black community as Amy does though. Literally any other black woman would be better.

That's not true at all? Kamala consistently had a good chunk of black support in the primary, but Joe was always the safe choice. Amy had 0%. Literally.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #1678 on: May 23, 2020, 01:08:07 PM »

That's not true at all? Kamala consistently had a good chunk of black support in the primary, but Joe was always the safe choice. Amy had 0%. Literally.
My point is that Amy is only  marginally worse. I think we need a black woman, but why is She the default choice? Her campaign imploded and she face no real critique of her very bad record beyond stupid Twitter memes
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1679 on: May 23, 2020, 01:13:50 PM »

"Baggage" with black Twitter accounts =/= baggage with rank-and-file black voters.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #1680 on: May 23, 2020, 01:50:41 PM »

What do y’all think about Carol Moseley Braun? She’s not young but she’s got the experience, she’s close to Joe and it would be a neat Obama parallel
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1681 on: May 23, 2020, 01:55:19 PM »

What do y’all think about Carol Moseley Braun? She’s not young but she’s got the experience, she’s close to Joe and it would be a neat Obama parallel

Too old. His running mate can't be anybody eligible for social security.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1682 on: May 23, 2020, 01:58:00 PM »

"Baggage" with black Twitter accounts =/= baggage with rank-and-file black voters.

I will keep saying it: After a year of smears and misinformation Kamala’s favorability is in the margin of error with Warren and Abrams, one who got 10 million votes and one who has never had a negative story ran about her outside of conservative media. I want someone who can take the hits, filet Trump and Pence, and make it look effortless. I’m with Kamala.

And: “HeR cAmpAiGn iMplOdEd” didn't 2008 Biden drop out after a sh!t-tastic Iowa performance? Let that fake reason against Kamala go.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #1683 on: May 23, 2020, 02:07:27 PM »

I will keep saying it: After a year of smears and misinformation Kamala’s favorability is in the margin of error with Warren and Abrams, one who got 10 million votes and one who has never had a negative story ran about her outside of conservative media. I want someone who can take the hits, filet Trump and Pence, and make it look effortless. I’m with Kamala.

And: “HeR cAmpAiGn iMplOdEd” didn't 2008 Biden drop out after a sh!t-tastic Iowa performance? Let that fake reason against Kamala go.
Biden turned in consistently good debate performances, and dropped out after Iowa. Harris did neither of those things. The wheels came off the car after one good debate performance and the toxicity of her campaign was leaking to the outside on a daily basis. Plus you have to factor in that Biden was an incredibly boring candidate, while she was a  historic candidate With high expectations. It’s not remotely the same.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1684 on: May 23, 2020, 02:25:55 PM »

Kamala didn't make it in the primary b/c there was no way for her to go. There was the "moderate" lane and there was the "super progressive" lane, and no real room for someone in the middle like herself. Not to mention that black voters were remaining mostly with Joe b/c he was their safe choice, and college+ whites were splitting between her and 4-5 other people. Not to mention most Dem primary voters were worried about nominating a woman and a POC after 2016.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1685 on: May 23, 2020, 02:42:48 PM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/23/black-activists-joe-biden-amy-klobuchar-vice-president-275326

Amy Klobuchar performed abysmally among black voters in the Democratic primary. It’s haunting her now as Joe Biden decides on a running mate.

The Minnesota Democrat has the governing experience and ideological profile to mesh well with Biden, and she’s regularly appeared as a surrogate and a fundraiser for him, raking in more than $1.5 million for a single event she headlined. The pair have a warm relationship, trading phone calls when her husband was hospitalized with Covid-19 and they didn’t tangle publicly during primary.

But more than a dozen black and Latino strategists and activists warned in interviews that selecting Klobuchar would not help Biden excite black voters — and might have the opposite effect. Klobuchar would “risk losing the very base the Democrats need to win,” said Aimee Allison, founder of She the People, which promotes women of color in politics. They pointed to her poor performance among non-white voters during the presidential primary, as well as her record as a prosecutor in Minnesota.

It is currently unclear what impact activists will have on the vetting process.

I can think of several other reasons Klobuchar would be a bad running mate besides her policies as a District Attorney (Her treatment of Senate Staffers, her not being to the left of Biden politically, the fact that even though she's from Minnesota, she's less likely to be helpful in Michigan and Wisconsin than Gretchen Whitmer or Tammy Baldwin.)
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #1686 on: May 23, 2020, 03:04:27 PM »

Whitmer doesn't have a fraught relationship with the African-American community, makes more sense than Amy.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1687 on: May 23, 2020, 03:14:56 PM »

Whitmer doesn't have a fraught relationship with the African-American community, makes more sense than Amy.

I think picking a Governor is a mistake
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1688 on: May 23, 2020, 03:17:48 PM »

The Veep job isnt that important after campaigning for Prez, really, we have made almost a 100 pages about Veep speculation. Warren, Harris, Whitmer, Abrams or Val Demings. The only duty they do after campaigning is break ties in the Senate and negotiations in Senate if party in majority.  If their party is in minority,  then let Minority Leader take over in negotiations.

Then, they are asked to travel to China, Japan, Germany, Arabia, UK, all where NATO allies are and Turkey and Israel.

Amy Klobuchar did bad with AA voters due to Biden claiming all the AA support due to Clyburn support. Of course if Biden wasnt in the race, she would of gotten more support
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #1689 on: May 23, 2020, 03:21:42 PM »

Nah, her approval is high and you're making a decision that could have 8-16 years of impact. Don't let 90 days of logistics be a problem if she's the best choice.
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #1690 on: May 23, 2020, 03:56:05 PM »

The Veep job isnt that important after campaigning for Prez, really, we have made almost a 100 pages about Veep speculation. Warren, Harris, Whitmer, Abrams or Val Demings. The only duty they do after campaigning is break ties in the Senate and negotiations in Senate if party in majority.  If their party is in minority,  then let Minority Leader take over in negotiations.

Then, they are asked to travel to China, Japan, Germany, Arabia, UK, all where NATO allies are and Turkey and Israel.

Amy Klobuchar did bad with AA voters due to Biden claiming all the AA support due to Clyburn support. Of course if Biden wasnt in the race, she would of gotten more support

Under normal circumstances, yes. Joe Biden will be 78 in January, and the decline of his health is no secret to anyone. If there is one ticket where the veep job is more than window dressing, it's this one.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1691 on: May 23, 2020, 04:57:51 PM »

I can honestly say that Warren's chances have shot up. Remember when people thought Biden was only going to pick either Klobuchar or Harris? Yeah, I remember too.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1692 on: May 23, 2020, 04:58:55 PM »

I think Cheri Bustos should be on the list. She is a poor woman's Klobuchar (without the baggage of prosecutor work)
roxas11
United States

« Reply #1693 on: May 23, 2020, 05:02:19 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2020, 05:07:46 PM by roxas11 »

It is crazy that we are now living in a day and age where picking someone who actually has the experience to govern and run this County is a bad thing but picking some random senator who has never actually governed or ran anything a day in their life is good thing simply because they excite the base more.

but after of that excitement fades and they actually have to govern then what

I really do have hope that next generation gets away from electing reality TV show stars and 1 term senators as their leaders. I mean don't get me wrong I like Obama but many of his issues then and trump issues now are that they had No idea how to work with the other side once their party was no longer in power.

Obama and trump both struggled after the lost the House
many times Biden had to be the one to go over and make deals with the GOP in order to get anything done because of Obama's lack of relationships and experience dealing with many in congress. He did not just struggle with the GOP congress. he also struggled with his own party when It came to passing things like background checks or doing immigration reform.

call me old fashioned but I miss having governors in the white house and If had it my way Biden would actually pick someone who knows how the govern this country for the Next 4 years instead of some flashy senator who does not know what they hell they are doing when they are actually get into the white house
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1694 on: May 23, 2020, 05:33:11 PM »

100% hoping for Val Demings now.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1695 on: May 23, 2020, 06:03:15 PM »

I can honestly say that Warren's chances have shot up. Remember when people thought Biden was only going to pick either Klobuchar or Harris? Yeah, I remember too.

What in the world makes you think that? If anything, after that CTG interview fiasco, Harris is the clear frontrunner.

Charlamagne was a big cheerleader for Harris during her run.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #1696 on: May 23, 2020, 06:24:49 PM »

Between this story in Politico and the WaPo one about Klobuchar scrambling to fix relations with the black community, I think her VP bid has a problem.

Amy Klobuchar performed abysmally among black voters in the Democratic primary. It’s haunting her now as Joe Biden decides on a running mate.

Klobuchar’s prosecutorial record as Hennepin County attorney is another sore spot, particularly her handling of a case involving Burrell, a black teenager.

The vocal contingent of African American and Latino detractors — many of whom said they would prefer Biden to select a black woman as a running mate — is unique to Klobuchar; Elizabeth Warren, another top contender for VP, doesn’t elicit similar antagonism from communities of color.

Klobuchar symbolizes a strategic division within the Democratic Party: Whether to focus on winning back white, Midwestern voters who flipped to Donald Trump in 2016, or on activating voters of color who were not excited to vote. She “represents that tension,” said Rev. Al Sharpton, who said he’s told Biden that he would prefer a black woman on the ticket but noted he’s “not anti-Amy.”

“There are enough people who either A, don’t know her, or B, have a negative view of her that it becomes another thing the campaign has to do — introduce her and convince communities of color that she’s ok,” said Leah Daughtry, CEO of the DNC’s conventions in 2008 and 2016. “That’s not impossible, but there’s already a lot of work to do in a presidential race.”
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/23/black-activists-joe-biden-amy-klobuchar-vice-president-275326

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1697 on: May 23, 2020, 06:26:43 PM »

Between this story in Politico and the WaPo one about Klobuchar scrambling to fix relations with the black community, I think her VP bid has a problem.

Klobuchar’s prosecutorial record as Hennepin County attorney is another sore spot, particularly her handling of a case involving Burrell, a black teenager.

The vocal contingent of African American and Latino detractors — many of whom said they would prefer Biden to select a black woman as a running mate — is unique to Klobuchar; Elizabeth Warren, another top contender for VP, doesn’t elicit similar antagonism from communities of color.

Klobuchar symbolizes a strategic division within the Democratic Party: Whether to focus on winning back white, Midwestern voters who flipped to Donald Trump in 2016, or on activating voters of color who were not excited to vote. She “represents that tension,” said Rev. Al Sharpton, who said he’s told Biden that he would prefer a black woman on the ticket but noted he’s “not anti-Amy.”

“There are enough people who either A, don’t know her, or B, have a negative view of her that it becomes another thing the campaign has to do — introduce her and convince communities of color that she’s ok,” said Leah Daughtry, CEO of the DNC’s conventions in 2008 and 2016. “That’s not impossible, but there’s already a lot of work to do in a presidential race.”

This happens when identity politics bites you in the a**.

You should not pick someone because of gender and race. Qualifications.

I don't think Klobuchar will be VP, but she would be a good choice.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #1698 on: May 23, 2020, 06:32:24 PM »

'

Im not sure identity politics has anything to do with the dislike some have for Amy

As the previous poster pointed out Elizabeth Warren, another top contender for VP, doesn’t elicit similar antagonism from communities of color.

She is also white yet I do not see any black activist hating on her or telling Biden not to pick her
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #1699 on: May 23, 2020, 06:37:49 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2020, 06:50:30 PM by Ogre Mage »

If we picked people on qualifications we would not have wound up with Trumpvirus, an unqualified, corrupt white man.  White men get picked because of their gender and race all the time. That fact is not apparent to some people.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies