Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:40:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 363704 times)
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1375 on: May 13, 2020, 10:36:02 PM »

At about the 2:30 mark here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpKS2hJTgUQ

Whitmer’s asked about whether she’d consider being Biden’s running mate, but she dodges, saying she’s focused on her current job.  On the question of whether she’s talked about it with Biden himself: “That’s not a conversation that we’ve had in any depth at this juncture.”

Of course she'll deny it. It's interesting how the CNN source wasn't even part of the decision team. My gut feeling is she's one of the three finalists along with Harris and Klobuchar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E8S6I-m_hg

Sounds pretty Presidential to me...I think she'd be a worthwhile risk for Biden.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #1376 on: May 13, 2020, 10:52:15 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2020, 11:00:19 PM by Ogre Mage »

The Washington Post concurs with CNN's Jeff Zeleny -- Klobuchar and Harris are getting the most serious look by Biden's inner circle now.

But behind the scenes, two prospects with national experience who are significantly younger than Biden are emerging as the early leaders in the eyes of top Biden allies, according to interviews with a half-dozen people in frequent contact with the campaign: Sens. Amy Klobuchar and Kamala D. Harris.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/as-biden-veep-search-ramps-up-harris-and-klobuchar-get-a-close-look/2020/05/13/a11e68fe-952a-11ea-82b4-c8db161ff6e5_story.html
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #1377 on: May 13, 2020, 11:37:23 PM »

New York Times story here on Harris:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/11/us/politics/kamala-harris-biden-vp.html

The story suggests that while Harris is (of course) not playing as overt a public game as Abrams, she’s also not playing as overt a private game as Warren:

In several interviews, Ms. Harris has said she would be “honored” to serve with Mr. Biden, but there is no public campaign similar to that carried out by Stacey Abrams, the former candidate for governor in Georgia. There is no surrogate lobbying effort like the one for Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, which includes direct polling presentations. Instead, even people close to Mr. Biden — often bombarded with pleas from those vying to be his running mate — have remarked about how little they have heard from Ms. Harris and her allies.
This does not mean she isn’t privately maneuvering, according to more than a dozen people familiar with her activities or with Mr. Biden’s search for a vice president. Ms. Harris, who declined to be interviewed for this article, has dedicated the five months since she ended her campaign to housecleaning steps meant to position her better for what comes next: whether it’s a vice-presidential bid, a longer career in the Senate, a run for governor or a position like attorney general in a Biden administration.

The fact that Kamala Harris got both the NYT and Politico to run stories about her VP prospects recently while declining to be interviewed for them shows high skill at political maneuvering.  It is unseemly for a candidate to be blatantly "campaigning" for running mate (like Abrams).  So improving your position requires subtlety.  Harris has displayed she can pull off this political sleight of hand.  
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1378 on: May 13, 2020, 11:47:40 PM »

Truth is this isn't a race, none of us know what Biden is thinking.
American2020
CĂ´te d'Ivoire

« Reply #1379 on: May 14, 2020, 04:53:55 AM »

BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1380 on: May 14, 2020, 05:33:50 AM »

At about the 2:30 mark here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpKS2hJTgUQ

Whitmer’s asked about whether she’d consider being Biden’s running mate, but she dodges, saying she’s focused on her current job.  On the question of whether she’s talked about it with Biden himself: “That’s not a conversation that we’ve had in any depth at this juncture.”

Of course she'll deny it. It's interesting how the CNN source wasn't even part of the decision team. My gut feeling is she's one of the three finalists along with Harris and Klobuchar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E8S6I-m_hg

Sounds pretty Presidential to me...I think she'd be a worthwhile risk for Biden.
I still think she's is much too tied to the handling of the Coronavirus. That's just too damn risky. Uncle Joe doesn't really need to take big risks.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1381 on: May 14, 2020, 08:14:57 AM »

I couldn't tell you how excited I'd be if Klobuchar got picked to be VP. But even I know Harris is the better option.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1382 on: May 14, 2020, 08:32:47 AM »
« Edited: May 14, 2020, 08:42:03 AM by #Klobmentum »

But also, I feel like I should explain to some of you why Klobuchar is at the top of the VP list in the first place.

Firstly, Biden believes Klobuchar's endorsement was the main reason he won the Minnesota Primary. Biden has brought this up repeatedly, which means he was obviously impressed by Klobuchar's sway in her home state. Compare that to Warren, who came in third in Massachusetts, or Harris, who was polling in forth in California before she dropped out.

Then there is the fact that both Biden and Klobuchar personally get along. Biden actually finds Klobuchar's jokes funny. And I'm sure Biden appreciated Klobuchar bringing up his cancer research charity during the debates.

Finally, their platforms were almost identical during the primary.

Biden wants someone "simpatico" with him and Klobuchar is a perfect fit.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1383 on: May 14, 2020, 08:49:25 AM »

The coronavirus for Biden with Whitmer is a fair calculated risk.
As for Harris, I think stuff in her past needs to be vetted. Getting 6 figure appointments from Willie Brown while dating him is not exactly the most flattering thing. It really doesn't help her cause.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1384 on: May 14, 2020, 09:05:48 AM »

I think Whitmer being asked and accepting the VP slot could backfire in MI. It would look like she only used the Gov. Mansion as a quick stepping stone for higher office rather than actualy doing something for the state. The damn roads haven't been fixed as we speak and amidst a pandemic, it may not bode well among the electorate to run for VP after having served less than a half term. She would have to answer questions why there time to campaign for VP while this crisis is going on. Being a sitting senator is a different story here, b/c executives are in charge of managing day by day operations during a crisis. The legislative branch isn't.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1385 on: May 14, 2020, 09:39:24 AM »

I would be shocked - shocked - if Whitmer is the VP choice.  She would be as polarizing right now as choosing Hillary.

My heart wants Klobuchar...and I think she'd be most appealing in the states Biden needs to carry, Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania while helping to hold onto Minnesota and the other Hillary states.

My instinct says Harris...she'd help with the minority vote, but I'm not sure of her mass appeal across the country.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #1386 on: May 14, 2020, 09:51:39 AM »

I don’t see any evidence that Harris has a special appeal with minority voters. I do see some evidence that Klobuchar has some special appeal to Midwesterners. Harris definitely has more baggage. Klobuchar also passes the “ready to take over on day one” test more than Harris although I think both have sufficient experience considering the low bar set by Trump and Obama. My money is on Harris being the choice because identity politics are so important right now but Klobuchar is better.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1387 on: May 14, 2020, 09:53:45 AM »

I don’t see any evidence that Harris has a special appeal with minority voters. I do see some evidence that Klobuchar has some special appeal to Midwesterners. Harris definitely has more baggage. Klobuchar also passes the “ready to take over on day one” test more than Harris although I think both have sufficient experience considering the low bar set by Trump and Obama. My money is on Harris being the choice because identity politics are so important right now but Klobuchar is better.
How is Harris identity politics and Klobuchar is not?

The term is thinly veiled racism and don’t even get me started on “the low bar set by Trump and Obama” FOH. Trump wishes he had the credentials Obama had when he took office.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1388 on: May 14, 2020, 09:54:53 AM »

Black voters were the most open in the primary to Harris, even if they didn't vote for her. Many were stuck and decided to go Biden b/c he was the safe choice.

Biden needs to turbo charge turnout among minorities and college+ whites, and Harris checks off those boxes. Klobuchar does not. There is more upside to turning out those two blocs than for Dems to try with Klob to turn over more working class whites.

And once again, Biden + Klob would be *TOO* white, and honestly a slap in the face to the black voters who helped Biden win the primary.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1389 on: May 14, 2020, 10:01:50 AM »

Black voters were the most open in the primary to Harris, even if they didn't vote for her. Many were stuck and decided to go Biden b/c he was the safe choice.

Biden needs to turbo charge turnout among minorities and college+ whites, and Harris checks off those boxes. Klobuchar does not. There is more upside to turning out those two blocs than for Dems to try with Klob to turn over more working class whites.

And once again, Biden + Klob would be *TOO* white, and honestly a slap in the face to the black voters who helped Biden win the primary.
It’s funny when I see takes like “Blacks are already have their choice” “Biden has the Blacks” “We need to focus on white people in the Midwest”

1, Biden won the working class white vote in the primary. Why do they get to have a pick that doubles down on their vote but not the bloc that will give Dems 90 percent in the fall.

2, Black voters were with Biden because he presented himself as the one to win the white vote. If Biden can’t secure the white vote himself why the hell did we pick him?

3, Joe Biden does not have the Blacks. Congratulations to him for crushing it in the Southern primaries but y’all know that the Southern Black primary electorate is old and rural. We need high AA turnout in the cities and suburbs and among younger votes. If we’re looking at someone who can help with that AND be ready on day one that’s Kamala.... y’all swear she is hated by Black people but after a year long smear campaign her favorability is on par with Warren who competed in two dozen contests and got 10 million votes and Abrams who the media has had a non-stop love affair with for 18 months.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1390 on: May 14, 2020, 10:45:04 AM »

It's comical to think Klobuchar would offend any black voters, especially ones that supported Biden. She doesn't offend anyone, and that's the point.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1391 on: May 14, 2020, 11:13:41 AM »

I think Whitmer being asked and accepting the VP slot could backfire in MI. It would look like she only used the Gov. Mansion as a quick stepping stone for higher office rather than actualy doing something for the state. The damn roads haven't been fixed as we speak and amidst a pandemic, it may not bode well among the electorate to run for VP after having served less than a half term. She would have to answer questions why there time to campaign for VP while this crisis is going on. Being a sitting senator is a different story here, b/c executives are in charge of managing day by day operations during a crisis. The legislative branch isn't.

Crisis management skills was actually the top skill last weeks poll suggested Democratic voters want in a VP. Her approval is 60-65%, that is not "Hillary." I don't think most voters would hold her running for VP against her as long as she is doing her job at home. Don't expect rallies this fall anywhere. Believe it or not, people might enjoy seeing a Governor doing her job instead of a Senator occupied with Capitol Hill jargon.
Bomster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.13, S: -7.95

P P
« Reply #1392 on: May 14, 2020, 11:20:29 AM »

It's comical to think Klobuchar would offend any black voters, especially ones that supported Biden. She doesn't offend anyone, and that's the point.
Tim Kaine never offended anyone either. Now Klobuchar is a better choice than Kaine was, but she still to me feels like the Tim Kaine of this year’s veepstakes, since the whole idea behind choosing her is that her appeal in Minnesota, a reliably democratic state, will translate to neighboring states like Wisconsin and Michigan. It was the same idea behind Kaine, who hailed from a reliably democratic state Virginia, who Clinton people hoped could appeal to neighboring states like North Carolina. It didn’t work. And his blandness added nothing to the ticket.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1393 on: May 14, 2020, 12:41:26 PM »

Tim Kaine never offended anyone either. Now Klobuchar is a better choice than Kaine was, but she still to me feels like the Tim Kaine of this year’s veepstakes, since the whole idea behind choosing her is that her appeal in Minnesota, a reliably democratic state, will translate to neighboring states like Wisconsin and Michigan. It was the same idea behind Kaine, who hailed from a reliably democratic state Virginia, who Clinton people hoped could appeal to neighboring states like North Carolina. It didn’t work. And his blandness added nothing to the ticket.

Tim Kaine is a non-sequitur, since Joe Biden is the nominee and not Hillary Clinton.

Meanwhile, in this election there's a potentially broad coalition that could deliver Democrats a big win. Biden is the right candidate for this, but on the fringes are voters who have no loyalty to Democrats and may have even voted for Trump in 2016. They've signaled a willingness to back Biden (check out that Lackawanna County poll) but they'll jump ship if Democrats offend their sensibilities. Kamala Harris turns off way more of these voters than she brings in, if any (and I have strong doubts about this too!). Amy Klobuchar is right up their alley and has proven on many occasions to already have their support.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1394 on: May 14, 2020, 12:47:50 PM »

Totally agree, Klobuchar and Whitmer make the most sense with these voters. Both would be fine with suburban women in Houston, Charlotte, Atlanta as well. Problems with midwestern voters have a tendency to pop up in Florida as well with all the transplants.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1395 on: May 14, 2020, 12:56:12 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2020, 01:01:18 PM by President Johnson »

I find it a little disappointing Rep. Nanette Barragan is never mentioned as vice presidential hopeful, although she would be a pretty good pick. I know she's not the most experienced in terms of years in Washington, but if Val Demings is (rightfully) considered, why not her? Both were first elected in 2016. Barragan is definitely more qualified for the job than Stacey Abrams. While she isn't from a battleground state, she represents a crucial demographic constituency (Hispanics, especially of Mexican heritage). Joe Biden needs them to turn out in huge numbers. At 44 on election day, she also offers generational balance to the ticket and is a good public speaker. And she's progressive, but not too far left either. If I were advising the Biden campaign, I would definitely take a strong look at her for the second spot.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1396 on: May 14, 2020, 12:58:31 PM »

I find it a little disappointing Rep. Nanette Barragan is never mentioned as vice presidential hopeful, although she would be a pretty good pick. I know she's not the most experienced in terms of years in Washington, but if Val Demings is (rightfully) considered, why not her? Both were first elected in 2016. Barragan is definitely more qualified for the job than Stacey Abrams. While she isn't from a battleground state, she represents a crucial demographic constituency (Hispanics, especially of Mexican heritage). Joe Biden needs them to turn out in huge numbers. At 44 on election day, she also offers generational balance to the ticket and is a good public speaker. If I were advising the Biden campaign, I would definitely take a strong look at her for the second spot.

Literally why?

She isn't the only under-50 Latina politician, and if that's the only criteria, then there are better picks than Barragan.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1397 on: May 14, 2020, 01:12:34 PM »

I find it a little disappointing Rep. Nanette Barragan is never mentioned as vice presidential hopeful, although she would be a pretty good pick.
Literally who and why? With everything being virtual we need someone with significant name rec and who can raise money. There's no wonder why Harris and Klobuchar are the most likely right now.

Biden wants to pick someone who he likes and knows can govern on day one. He's not about to rock the boat with someone who is not battle tested. I truly think he's going to pick one of the aforementioned ladies. This is not the election to pick someone who needs time to get their feet wet.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #1398 on: May 14, 2020, 03:57:42 PM »

I find it a little disappointing Rep. Nanette Barragan is never mentioned as vice presidential hopeful, although she would be a pretty good pick. I know she's not the most experienced in terms of years in Washington, but if Val Demings is (rightfully) considered, why not her? Both were first elected in 2016. Barragan is definitely more qualified for the job than Stacey Abrams. While she isn't from a battleground state, she represents a crucial demographic constituency (Hispanics, especially of Mexican heritage). Joe Biden needs them to turn out in huge numbers. At 44 on election day, she also offers generational balance to the ticket and is a good public speaker. And she's progressive, but not too far left either. If I were advising the Biden campaign, I would definitely take a strong look at her for the second spot.
She's probably a contender for Appointment to Kamalas seat.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1399 on: May 14, 2020, 04:18:53 PM »

How is Harris identity politics and Klobuchar is not?

The term is thinly veiled racism and don’t even get me started on “the low bar set by Trump and Obama” FOH. Trump wishes he had the credentials Obama had when he took office.
If you think Kamala is going to win over voters your deluded. She was the Scott Walker of 2020. She went down like a Led Zeppelin long before Biden's campaign was revitalized by South Carolina.

The only prominent woman of color I can think of who is actually qualified is Val Demmings. But Biden needs Amy Kloubuchar. I'm know you've made it clear that she's a Becky or whatever, but if you want to win over the voters that matter, I'd recommend her.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies