Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:36:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 363643 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1475 on: May 18, 2020, 02:09:42 PM »

I know he said he wanted to run with Warren back in the 2016 cycle, but I just don't think Biden will pick a VP who will greatly outshine him - I could see her requiring certain concessions from Biden in order to accept the nomination and being a thorn in his side throughout the administration. Plus, I don't think she adds much more to the ticket than others do and the DNA scandal will continue to hurt her credibility.

Klobuchar still makes the most sense to me, followed by Cortez Mastro or Harris. I still like Val Demings as a darkhorse pick, but I highly doubt it happens.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1476 on: May 18, 2020, 02:27:16 PM »

Ro Khanna doubling down on Warren as the VP choice with an op-ed in the Boston Globe today, saying that by choosing her Biden can "channel FDR".

https://twitter.com/BostonGlobe/status/1262454665989566477?s=20
She will be a distraction. She is a hard no.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #1477 on: May 18, 2020, 03:00:14 PM »

Ro Khanna doubling down on Warren as the VP choice with an op-ed in the Boston Globe today, saying that by choosing her Biden can "channel FDR".

It could be argued every VP, especially Kamala, could be a distraction. You’re kidding yourself if you don’t think Trumpists would go as far as they could to attack and troll the first black woman on a national ticket. They’d all outshine Biden just based on their youth and dynamism. 
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1478 on: May 18, 2020, 03:08:29 PM »

There is no way Biden is going to pick Warren. Again, she is too old, doesn't represent the "bridge" to the new generation he was speaking of, and she's way too polarizing (for better or for worse)
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1479 on: May 18, 2020, 03:16:58 PM »

It could be argued every VP, especially Kamala, could be a distraction. You’re kidding yourself if you don’t think Trumpists would go as far as they could to attack and troll the first black woman on a national ticket. They’d all outshine Biden just based on their youth and dynamism. 

Not "all", but most would fail (through no fault of their own) to avoid becoming a target of "It's progressive Cheney!" concern trolling. The easiest way to avoid that would be to pick a candidate seen as boring, but that comes with a risk of making Biden look out-of-touch etc.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1480 on: May 18, 2020, 03:28:46 PM »

Her DNA test and relentless woke politics is already a needless distraction Biden doesn't need.

Yeah, not like the Trump campaign won't make stupid issues out of any of the potential VP candidates.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #1481 on: May 18, 2020, 03:45:21 PM »

Warren is so popular with the Democratic base that Biden almost has to vet and seriously consider her.  But I think he ultimately chooses someone else.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1482 on: May 18, 2020, 03:50:15 PM »

I read a good piece about how the Democrats always tend to pick the least offensive choice who the republicans would hate the least (Kaine, Biden, Lieberman, Gore etc etc) while the republicans just seem to pick whoever they need to appease whatever donor wing is having a hissy fit.

I mean would you say that Mike Pence, Dick Cheney, Dan Qualye or George H.W Bush were exactly popular choices?
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1483 on: May 18, 2020, 04:24:39 PM »

The political environment is so hyper-polarized there is a strong argument that the nominee should pick a running mate which unites the base.  But the Democratic Party is a coalition party with so many constituencies it is impossible to cover all of them with the running mate.  The nominee has to decide which base constituencies to focus on with the pick.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1484 on: May 18, 2020, 04:29:35 PM »

I read a good piece about how the Democrats always tend to pick the least offensive choice who the republicans would hate the least (Kaine, Biden, Lieberman, Gore etc etc) while the republicans just seem to pick whoever they need to appease whatever donor wing is having a hissy fit.

I mean would you say that Mike Pence, Dick Cheney, Dan Qualye or George H.W Bush were exactly popular choices?
So Klobuchar or Harris?
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #1485 on: May 18, 2020, 05:19:12 PM »

Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1486 on: May 18, 2020, 05:36:46 PM »

Her DNA test and relentless woke politics is already a needless distraction Biden doesn't need.

Yeah, not like the Trump campaign won't make stupid issues out of any of the potential VP candidates.

Attacking Tammy Duckworth is a lot harder than attacking Warren, and Duckworth holds a similar progressive score.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1487 on: May 18, 2020, 05:51:18 PM »

To be fair, in 2016, all of the most obvious potential picks (like Rubio and Haley) refused to be vetted for veep, as they were worried that being Trump's running mate could destroy their career.  So if not Pence, it would have been someone like Gingrich or Sessions.  Compared to them, I don't think Pence is a particularly edgy choice.  Tongue
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1488 on: May 18, 2020, 05:53:00 PM »

To be fair, in 2016, all of the most obvious potential picks (like Rubio and Haley) refused to be vetted for veep, as they were worried that being Trump's running mate could destroy their career.  So if not Pence, it would have been someone like Gingrich or Sessions.  Compared to them, I don't think Pence is a particularly edgy choice.  Tongue

Actually it's been pretty well-documented that Trump had settled on Christie but was talked out of it by Janavka and some other Republican bigwigs.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1489 on: May 18, 2020, 07:47:24 PM »

Attacking Tammy Duckworth is a lot harder than attacking Warren, and Duckworth holds a similar progressive score.

Those scores don't really matter. It's all about perception. Booker and Harris have consistently been ranked as top 5 most progressive senators by basically every ranking system, yet many progressives don't like either of them at all.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #1490 on: May 18, 2020, 07:51:33 PM »

Those scores don't really matter. It's all about perception. Booker and Harris have consistently been ranked as top 5 most progressive senators by basically every ranking system, yet many progressives don't like either of them at all.

Duckworth is also largely unknown and unvetted on the national stage. We know for almost a fact that the worst attack Republicans have against Warren is the “Pocahontas” smear and attacking her as too left. We know what we’re getting with her, Harris, & Klobuchar.

I’d say it’s more of a risk to pick someone who didn’t run for President (Duckworth, Whitmer, Demings) than one of the former 3.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1491 on: May 18, 2020, 07:56:54 PM »

Duckworth is also largely unknown and unvetted on the national stage. We know for almost a fact that the worst attack Republicans have against Warren is the “Pocahontas” smear and attacking her as too left. We know what we’re getting with her, Harris, & Klobuchar.

I’d say it’s more of a risk to pick someone who didn’t run for President (Duckworth, Whitmer, Demings) than one of the former 3.

I think what's appealing about Duckworth though is that she is inherently sympathetic in being a wounded veteran. It would be hard to negatively characterize her in the face of that, and anything the Republicans try could backfire hard.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1492 on: May 18, 2020, 08:01:41 PM »

I think what's appealing about Duckworth though is that she is inherently sympathetic in being a wounded veteran. It would be hard to negatively characterize her in the face of that, and anything the Republicans try could backfire hard.
This. I, for one, would love to see republicans try to attack her on being an amputee.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1493 on: May 18, 2020, 08:05:21 PM »

Exactly. Mark Kirk unfortunately learned this the hard way, and I'm sure it would look even worse for Trump if he tried to insult her.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1494 on: May 18, 2020, 08:16:01 PM »

They've already succeeded in this at the national level. Even if you leave out attacks on the characters of veterans which do not highlight what they lost (e.g. swiftboating), "I like people who weren't captured" can easily be repurposed to fit Duckworth's case. She's harder to attack than Warren, but being a veteran is hardly an insurmountable advantage.
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #1495 on: May 18, 2020, 08:18:50 PM »

Exactly. Mark Kirk unfortunately learned this the hard way, and I'm sure it would look even worse for Trump if he tried to insult her.

Not quite sure about this. Just look at Trump and John McCain.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1496 on: May 18, 2020, 08:46:27 PM »

I feel with an utmost certainty we'll hear Trump say "I prefer veterans who weren't injured" people will be all up in arms for a few days but then forget
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1497 on: May 18, 2020, 08:56:44 PM »

LOL, the same Trump that attacked John McCain and the Khan family? The same Trump that mocked a disabled reporter?

C'mon, y'all should know better than this by now, it's been almost 5 years since he announced his candidacy.

Trump will say something like "She's a phony veteran. Phony! I like people that weren't injured." Trump is a scumbag.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1498 on: May 18, 2020, 08:58:55 PM »

In other news, this is gold.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1499 on: May 18, 2020, 09:00:28 PM »

While picking a running mate who is not hugely vulnerable to incoming attacks is a consideration, I think the ability be the ticket's "attack dog" is as important, perhaps even more so.  Biden performed solidly in this role during his VP days, particularly in his 2012 debate with Paul Ryan:  "Malarkey!"  "That's a bunch of sh*t stuff."  "Now you're Jack Kennedy?"

Warren and Harris stand out for making tough attacks both during the primary and outside of it.  Some of these attacks were directed at Trump, others at primary opponents.  Some have happened during Senate hearings.

Not sure about Klobuchar.  She might be too "Minnesota Nice" to really throw red meat to the base in this way.

Hard to judge Cortez Masto or Duckworth on this front.  I haven't seen enough of them in a debate situation.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies